Jim Benning Is Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
You have to ask how many other teams would swap their squads for the squad Benning has assembled.

How many do you guess?

The answer will gauge his ability.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You have to ask how many other teams would swap their squads for the squad Benning has assembled.

How many do you guess?

The answer will gauge his ability.

The answer is 0 if we ignore teams that JUST started rebuilding

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Benning is bad. He's kinda like Sweeney, a bad GM that is saved by his nobrainer high draft picks. Draft picks that he wouldn't have, if he'd actually be able to assemble a good team in the first place.

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
close to 5 years time while finishing at the bottom every single season we have:

Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes and no other player worthy of a 2nd round pick (not including pre 2014 Gillis guys like Horvat and Hutton)

our prospect pool is weaker than the Rangers who started rebuilding last year

from a cup contender to a dumpster fire with a few gifted tank picks (3), like I even predicted Linden Benning were heading the wrong direction and that Shanahan Lou/Dubas/Hunter were on the right path

Are you on crack? The Canucks have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL.

Reactions: pettersson

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Are you on crack? The Canucks have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL.

our 3rd best prospect is Madden or Juolevi, if that is not at best average or down right atrocious for a team that is at the bottom of the standings year in year out idk what is

"Just look at the 2016 draft, 6 picks which were:

Olli Juolevi

Will Lockwood

Cole Candella

Jakob Stukel

Rodrigo Abols

Brett Mckenzie

5 of those picks are no longer in the organization. That’s astonishingly bad for a team who finished 28th that season."

6 draft picks while lottery

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ooof this did not age well... since this post was made-

MacLellan won the Stanley cup

Chevaldayoff went to the Western Conference finals

Sakic made probably one of the greatest trades of the cap-era and his team made the playoffs after being a lottery team

You are still right on Snow and Chia though :laugh:
I still take him over Chevy, Snow and Chia. Chevy is a terrible GM and I have laid out my reasoning for this many, many times. At the time, Sakic appeared to be fubaring the Duchene situation and Washington had not accomplished anything. I think it aged just fine.

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
our 3rd best prospect is Madden or Juolevi, if that is not at best average or down right atrocious for a team that is at the bottom of the standings year in year out idk what is

Olli Juolevi

Will Lockwood

Cole Candella

Jakob Stukel

Rodrigo Abols

Brett Mckenzie

5 of those picks are no longer in the organization. That’s astonishingly bad for a team who finished 28th that season."

Our 3rd best prospect is Juolevi a guy who prior to being injured was leading the entire AHL in pts for rookie defensemen! Will Lockwood looks like he'll be a good player as well. Not even counting EP look at the prospect depth. It's definitely a top 5 prospect pool IMO far from atrocious. :laugh:
  1. Hughes
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jett Woo
  9. Tyler Madden

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
It was one of the top prospect pools because of top 10 picks that we got for being a terrible hockey team.

Not even counting the top 10 picks we still got

Brock Boeser
Thatcher Demko
Jett Woo
Tyler Madden
Will Lockwood
Jonathan Dahlen
Adam Gaudette
Kole Lind
Michael DiPietro

Not bad at all.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018

Olli Juolevi

Will Lockwood

Cole Candella

Jakob Stukel

Rodrigo Abols

Brett Mckenzie

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Btw anyone who thinks we have a top prospect pool because of Pettersson/Hughes (blue chip guys) knows nothing about the prospect pool or other teams prospect pools. Lower your expectations on anything past the first round. The only complaint is their wing depth isn't very good. Dahlen, jasek, Lockwood and lind are really the only notable prospects. Motte and Goldy were solid prospects when we got them.

2 of the top goalie prospects, depth d-men players, depth at C. A lot of our college prospects are doing better than anticipated. (Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood)

Especially in the later rounds, drafts take time but you shouldn't expect to have majority of the players come out as nhlers

A large reason why Benning isn't getting a good reputation rn for his drafting, well it's cause he lost majority of the players that be drafted in the beginning.

First draft (2014) - actually a very good start for benning. Yes Virtanen over Ehlers and Nylander was a mistake but the picks everywhere else in this draft were good (and he made up for it by picking Boeser). Forsling, Tryamkin, Demko. Not bad for later rounds.

Second draft (2015) - Obviously getting boeser where we did was a huge win. Gaudette is a solid prospect, he needs to very clearly develop more in the AHL but his defense is transitioning well. Future 3c. Jasek is a solid offensive winger prospect, and probably the most underrated guy in the pool. He definitely fell but it was a good pick in the 6th round. brisebois obviously was our best D prospect at the time (after Tryamkin, forsling went under the radar) because of how shallow the pool was. Still a solid prospect, think he potentially a bottom pairing.

Third (2016) - the draft that seems like a miss, given the picks we had.. not surprised but McKenzie seemed like a solid prospect for awhile till he couldn't make the jump. So reallt its only lockwood and olli. Lockwood is a really good pick, and I'm hoping they don't lose him. Seriously, this could be one of bennings best picks that arent in the first round. He picked him off the board, but I managed to catch some Hughes games and came out more impressed with Lockwood (nothing on Hughes, he's great. I am just surprised about lockwood, makes sense he was flying under the radar until we got hughes) Olli is a guy that got a lot of hate, because clearly wasn't ready for the nhl and fans wanted someone else. Even though our defensive pool at the time was literallty the worst. Haven't seen him play but from what ive read, as a rookie in the ahl.. Utica looks much worse when juolevi isn't playing. Too bad he's injured rn, this season was key for his development. Definitely offensively gifted, had trouble defensively.
2017 - probably going to be our best draft. Not because of Elias (although.....) But Rathbone, dipietro are really good prospects. And hopefully we see both at world Juniors. Then obviously lind, gadovich and palmu making their way into their rookie seasons of the AHL already. Honestly heard the hype for palmu (haven't seen him play so idk), same with gadovich. Lind came back from an injury but prob one of our safer top 6 potentials. We will see what he can do in the ahl.
2018 - too early. Quinn looks good though

Last edited:
Reactions: 2muchman

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'll start off by saying I haven't exactly been the biggest fan of Jim Benning.

I believe the hate he gets on these boards is over the top. He is being called the worst GM in the league and is being compared to Milbury by some :laugh:

I'm not saying that Benning is a great GM but he is far from the worst of all time or even the worst in the last 10 years (MacTavish, Waddell, MacLean, Gauthier, Burke)

He hasn't made any franchise crippling moves like some GMs yet he is being called the worst? :help:

Only by impatient Canucks fans throughout the lower mainland. You all are seeing the the product of bad GM jobs by Gillis and Burke come to light.

Reactions: pettersson

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
^ What you just described shows how bad Benning is at drafting. In fact I'd go as far as to say he's one of the worst GMs in the entire league at drafting.

It's been 5 drafts and really the only players worth mentioning that have proven anything, are Pettersson and Boeser. 5 DRAFTS and that's all we have to show for it so far.
Yep people overlook his many mistakes for his few good moves. No doubt Brock and Elias were great picks but he’s made a lot of terrible picks and signed some highly questionable contracts.

Canucks biggest blunder may have been letting a rival team get tkachuk

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Our 3rd best prospect is Juolevi a guy who prior to being injured was leading the entire AHL in pts for rookie defensemen! Will Lockwood looks like he'll be a good player as well. Not even counting EP look at the prospect depth. It's definitely a top 5 prospect pool IMO far from atrocious. :laugh:
  1. Hughes
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jett Woo
  9. Tyler Madden

Dahlen over Gaudette shows you have no idea about prospect and prospect pools

its atrociois outside of a gifted Hughes tank pick

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I still take him over Chevy, Snow and Chia. Chevy is a terrible GM and I have laid out my reasoning for this many, many times. At the time, Sakic appeared to be fubaring the Duchene situation and Washington had not accomplished anything. I think it aged just fine.

what in the..

this is a terrible take. What are your reasoning that Cheveldayoff is a bad gm?

Actually I don't care, you have Benning over him. Unreal

Reactions: PM and Bozle

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yep people overlook his many mistakes for his few good moves. No doubt Brock and Elias were great picks but he’s made a lot of terrible picks and signed some highly questionable contracts.

Canucks biggest blunder may have been letting a rival team get tkachuk

Yup. You take BPA that high in the draft. Every time, no exceptions. Doesn’t matter how bad the D is

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
^ What you just described shows how bad Benning is at drafting. In fact I'd go as far as to say he's one of the worst GMs in the entire league at drafting.

It's been 5 drafts and really the only players worth mentioning that have proven anything, are Pettersson and Boeser. 5 DRAFTS and that's all we have to show for it so far.
Do yourself a favor and look at how many teams have players after the first round on the team rn. From 2015 onwards.
Best teams rn
TBL - 2 from 2015
Nashville - 1 from 2016
Sabres - none, until guhle is ready (2015)
Leafs - 1 from 2015
jets - none

That's 3 teams that have finished a rebuild and 2 who have generally just been top teams, able to draft (though Nashville seems to trade their guys). Canucks have Gaudette. I think people's expectations here are flawed, you expect Benning to be good at this yet you're impatient and don't want to wait
Edit: also look at the link in the beginning of that post, it gives statistics on what to expect from later picks.

This is common around the league. You have to wait. Btw, Vilardi was BPA over Pettersson for many people. Boeser was actually projected to go later as well. So picking BPA isn't always the right move, this is usually the argument cause we picked Ehlers and Nylander over virtanen

Last edited:
Reactions: 2muchman and Numba9

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
People are arguing about Benning's drafting record - I'd say it's not horrible but at best mediocre. Canucks have a decent prospect pool going forward.

The real problem is that the Canucks have what seems to be one of the worst pro scouting departments in the entire league. Benning constantly overpays for bad players, signs them to long term deals, and the Canucks are now stuck with a roster full of garbage. There's no sense of proper cap management. Constantly trading picks for 4th liners or borderline NHLers that are out of the league in a year or two.

If by saying "Benning is underrated" you mean that Benning isn't literally the worst GM of all time as some Canuck's fan might say then fine, that's accurate. But he's done absolutely nothing in the last 5 years that's setting up the Canucks for any sort of future success, other than making a couple of very obvious draft picks. I predict he's fired after the Canucks finish as the worst team in the NHL this year.

Reactions: Robongo01

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Do yourself a favor and look at how many teams have players after the first round on the team rn. From 2015 onwards.
Best teams rn
TBL - 2 from 2015
Nashville - 1 from 2016
Sabres - none, until guhle is ready (2015)
Leafs - 1 from 2015
jets - none

That's 3 teams that have finished a rebuild and 2 who have generally just been top teams, able to draft (though Nashville seems to trade their guys). Canucks have Gaudette. I think people's expectations here are flawed, you expect Benning to be good at this yet you're impatient and don't want to wait
Edit: also look at the link in the beginning of that post, it gives statistics on what to expect from later picks.

This is common around the league. You have to wait. Btw, Vilardi was BPA over Pettersson for many people. Boeser was actually projected to go later as well. So picking BPA isn't always the right move, this is usually the argument cause we picked Ehlers and Nylander over virtanen

This ^^. I think many people have unrealistic expectations on where this team should be. Many of these same people grossly over value draft picks outside the first round and get ridiculously bent out of shape over trading a 4th round pick. It's funny looking back at some posts raving about Toronto being the ideal rebuild example by getting all these picks and the only draft picks mainly contributing to their new found success are all first rounders.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
This ^^. I think many people have unrealistic expectations on where this team should be. Many of these same people grossly over value draft picks outside the first round and get ridiculously bent out of shape over trading a 4th round pick. It's funny looking back at some posts raving about Toronto being the ideal rebuild example by getting all these picks and the only draft picks mainly contributing to their new found success are all first rounders.
6 Canucks prospects are rookies this season in the AHL. 7 if Gaudette goes down. That should be very telling.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
also who the f*** cares if drafting is all you're good at anyways

name one team ever that's had success based solely on their drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad