Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Build through the draft. Get actual core pieces to contend long term. When you have a good core that can show it can make the playoffs you make trades to boost your team. I never said I wanted the Edmonton model. That was just you using one example. Other teams build through the draft and do well but youre just only focused on Edmonton. So again what team actually builds like us?
Haven't we built our core thru the draft as well?

It's a lazy argument... Chicago acquired prime contributers Hossa, Ladd, Sharp, Campbell among others like Brent MF'n Sopel..... Let's not pretend they were some draft pure team.

The step they're taking of being competitive this season will translate much more to long term success than tanking for a high pick arriving 2-3 yrs from now.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Haven't we built our core thru the draft as well?

It's a lazy argument... Chicago acquired prime contributers Hossa, Ladd, Sharp, Campbell among others like Brent MF'n Sopel..... Let's not pretend they were some draft pure team.

The step they're taking of being competitive this season will translate much more to long term success than tanking for a high pick arriving 2-3 yrs from now.
Thats the point. They acquired solid pieces after tanking. The hawks had a great young core on defence, forwards and goaltending. They were set to compete long term. When they had those pieces, they built around them with the players you mentioned. Our current Nucks team has only one core player on Defence. The rest are getting old. We might not even be able to keep Tanev because of the cap. Who replaces Tanev, Edler, Myers? We need two more top 6 forwards. Maybe Hog and Pod turn out to be that. There isnt much of long term plan with this team. We just kinda jumped the gun. A lot of other teams spent time gathering picks while we didn't.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Id rather address the problems through the draft for at least two more years rather than make trades. If the team could at least show its capable of making the playoffs than that trade makes sense. Miller is good sure but would be 30 by the time this team can contends. Ferland is overpaid and injury riddled. Myers is 30 and overpaid. I wouldve liked to see a long term plan from this team. Instead we made a gamble to be a bubble team. Thats why I think its bad timing. I dont know what team makes a move like this in rebuild. We dont have much to show for in D prospects. Outside of Hughes our defence is getting pretty old. We couldve used a few high picks rather than be a middling team. I just feel like the team jumped the gun
The problem is, you'll almost never MAKE the playoffs if you don't improve the roster. A playoff team doesn't just magically materialize after several years of high draft picks. That's how you become an Edmonton, Buffalo or Arizona (two of them may make the playoffs this year, we'll see, but the point still stands).

I'm not a Benning fan or anything, but management actually did the right thing here. The hint that they may have something was seeing what Pettersson and the rest of the young core could do. Benning took that, rolled the dice, and beefed up the roster. Now what we're seeing, though not an actual contender yet, is a reinforced roster with yet another top talent breaking through in his rookie year in Quinn Hughes. The Canucks right now are a textbook example of how you build a young team and take steps. If you wait for a young team full of high draft picks to make the playoffs before doing anything, most of the time you'll be waiting a loooooong time.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Thats the point. They acquired solid pieces after tanking. The hawks had a great young core on defence, forwards and goaltending. They were set to compete long term. When they had those pieces, they built around them with the players you mentioned. Our current Nucks team has only one core player on Defence. The rest are getting old. We might not even be able to keep Tanev because of the cap. Who replaces Tanev, Edler, Myers? We need two more top 6 forwards. Maybe Hog and Pod turn out to be that. There isnt much of long term plan with this team. We just kinda jumped the gun. A lot of other teams spent time gathering picks while we didn't.

Can you show me a franchise that opted to tank for more than 5-6 yrs by choice?
Chi and Pit both had ownership issues that forced it... Anyone else? It just doesn't happen...
Canucks made the right decision.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Can you show me a franchise that opted to tank for more than 5-6 yrs by choice?
Chi and Pit both had ownership issues that forced it... Anyone else? It just doesn't happen...
Canucks made the right decision.

So the examples that actually worked isnt good for you just because? Tampa, LA were bad for a while got them cups after time. We also did it and it gave us another core to contend with.

It still works. It really isnt a bad option

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So the examples that actually worked isnt good for you just because? Tampa, LA were bad for a while got them cups after time. We also did it and it gave us another core to contend with.

It still works. It really isnt a bad option
Well.. we've been bad for little awhile as well.
We're currently set up to be pretty competitive vs potential 1st and 2nd round matchups.
Let's see how it turns out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning saying on radio that he 'expects' to find a new home for Baertschi before the trade deadline expires. Bad news for Utica I guess, but what can the Canucks reasonably expect to generate as a return for Sven?

I'm guessing it's either another bad contract with term, or a draft pick. Can't really see any immediate help for the Canucks.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The trade for JT is turning out to be a highway robbery.
On top of Gudbranson for Pearson (which was highway robbery from the get go I guess). Benning has made a couple moves that have made a real difference for this roster. Likely the difference between a young team gunning for another high pick and a young team on the rise.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's early, but any predictions for Jimbo at the trade deadline? Will he add, substract, or stand pat?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's early, but any predictions for Jimbo at the trade deadline? Will he add, substract, or stand pat?
I think it depends on the Leivo and Ferland reports they are getting.

I see a Baertschi for a late pick or a veteran defenseman with a similar or expiring contract.....Bogosian Nemeth Dillon Hamhuis etc

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
As ridiculous Benning was at the start of his career here, he has come through. The teams future looks better than ever, we have a good roster filled with young players in key roles, yet we also have a solid farm.

We have never had a D man like Hughes and we’ve always craved for one. We also have a very solid Center depth with Pettersson, Horvat and Gaudette, a slew of goalies. I’ve never been more excited about our future than I am now.

Hopefully we don’t move picks, keep them and continue to draft soundly so we keep a steady stream of young players in the system and stay away from UFA shopping.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really hope Jimbo can pick up a complimentary piece or two at the trade deadline, without giving up a whole lot. A couple of years ago he picked up Tyler Motte from the Jackets, in what seemed like a 'nothing deal'. But he's been very good for the Canucks as a pk'er and a fourth liner.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Soooo....

Can someone check.... because this seems virtually unprecedented for our hockey team...

But is it true we've had Zero player transactions this season so far?

Not even a waiver pickup or loss?

Have we seriously had only ONE player moving transaction as an organization since mid-July ??! (Biega)

This is crazy to me.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Soooo....

Can someone check.... because this seems virtually unprecedented for our hockey team...

Have we seriously had only ONE player moving transaction as an organization since mid-July ??! (Biega)

This is crazy to me.
That is true
Not many injuries *knocks on wood

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it isn't likely but man would I like to see Tofoli re-united with Tanner Pearson, flanked by Horvat in the middle. Re-uniting the old Kings 70's line, and gearing up for the playoffs with guys who are still young, but battle-hardened playoff veterans. But a long-shot I guess.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Canucks are not in a position to add at the trade deadline. They’re just starting to figure out their roster and which players slot in where. They’re in a cap crunch and need to unload a few contracts as well. The team is beginning to form an identity and management should further evaluate their players come playoff time to see what they have. Too early in the process to be making trade deadline deals.

Prediction: Canucks stand pat, may make a minor AHL player swap.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are not in a position to add at the trade deadline. They’re just starting to figure out their roster and which players slot in where. They’re in a cap crunch and need to unload a few contracts as well. The team is beginning to form an identity and management should further evaluate their players come playoff time to see what they have. Too early in the process to be making trade deadline deals.
You may well be right....but was interested to hear Jeff O'Neill on the TSN panel with his prediction for the Canadian teams. He has the Habs, Jets and Sens out with Leafs the only Eastern team to make it....and in the Pacific he picks Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver to be in.

And his pick to potentially go deep into the playoffs are the Canucks. He says he likes their talent and the mix of players they have. And in this age NHL parity, you just never know. Maybe 'adding something' at the deadline becomes a real imperative, given where they might be by the end of February.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Soooo....

This is crazy to me.

Heh. Only activity has been teams like Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit shuffling deck chairs. You are so used to us being in that group that the lack of activity seems unusual, but is the same as most teams in playoff positions. Boston, Toronto, St. Louis, etc haven't done anything since July. Arizona traded for Hall and the caps sent Vegas Stephenson for a pick. That's about it.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad