Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fans will accept it when real news is made. Until then maybe chill out on your lame ass speculation.
It's not like he just made it up though. It's topical. You can cover your ears and eyes and hope, but I think the Canucks turning down media requests for him and promoting Gear, so Benning and Weisbrod can do more scouting would be something that a Scouting Director would wonder about his place about.

Jack is probably being a bit to standoffish, but there's smoke here.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This guy has to go, he just blew the TDL.

His job isn't to think of "Just One Thing At A Time"
He should have been all along thinking in terms of stages.

The team makes the playoffs or not, great if they do but it doesn't matter to what comes next.
He has loaded the team up with too many clause contracts and over paid old 3rd and 4th liners.

This team has such a financial problems coming up asset management will be thought of as simply disposing of enough players to make the cap.

Should have considered selling off expiring contracts, letting players go for free because of mistakes made by him? What the hell tell the fans some story and keeps saying the illusion is true.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know when you break it down objectively, Jimbo's trade deals haven't been all that bad. Gudbranson was a serious 'miss', but recouping Pearson eases the pain.....and the Sutter deal might have turned out better if the guy hadn't been chronically injured. Some of the other depth deals for guys like Leivo, Motte and Tofoli have been solid....and J.T. Miller looks like a home run if they make the playoffs.

It's just those God-awful UFA signings and his propensity for dealing draft picks for failed prospects that tarnishes his record. Two seconds for Baertschi and Vey come to mind; as well as a third for Pedan and high seconder rounders in the Gudbranson-Sutter deals.

Unfortunately Benning has dealt a lot of picks over the years for dubious returns.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This guy has to go, he just blew the TDL.

His job isn't to think of "Just One Thing At A Time"
He should have been all along thinking in terms of stages.

The team makes the playoffs or not, great if they do but it doesn't matter to what comes next.
He has loaded the team up with too many clause contracts and over paid old 3rd and 4th liners..

I mean I agree with you in general but when you realize benning has been doing things to save his job and not what’s best for this organization you can understand why he’s trading picks away like crazy.

It's just those God-awful UFA signings and his propensity for dealing draft picks for failed prospects that tarnishes his record. Two seconds for Baertschi and Vey come to mind; as well as a third for Pedan and high seconder rounders in the Gudbranson-Sutter deals.

Unfortunately Benning has dealt a lot of picks over the years for dubious returns.

but aren’t those trades that should be considered when we consider what his trading record is?

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
How about Vey, Barchi, Bartkowski, Clendening, Del Zotto, Gudranson, Schaller, Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Benn, Prust, Birmistrov, Erickson, Larson, Chaput, Megna, Dahlen, Goldobin, Pouliot, Granlund that’s some impressive work there.

Reactions: Fedz

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
How about Vey, Barchi, Bartkowski, Clendening, Del Zotto, Gudranson, Schaller, Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Benn, Prust, Birmistrov, Erickson, Larson, Chaput, Megna, Dahlen, Goldobin, Pouliot, Granlund that’s some impressive work there.

Those players were brought in as stop gap roster fillers with each also having some upside to be more than that, and were brought in at a time when we were never going to contend anyway. It's not a bad idea to take fliers on guys who may or may not work out during a rebuild.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I mean I agree with you in general but when you realize benning has been doing things to save his job and not what’s best for this organization you can understand why he’s trading picks away like crazy.

Trading picks away like crazy? In the last 5 years, Benning traded away only one first round pick and he got JT Miller back. That's not trading picks away like crazy, that's called making appropriate moves at appropriate times.

Furthermore, Gillis traded away a 1st and got back Keith Ballard. And Nonis would've probably kept the pick and drafted another Patrick White. At least Benning gets way more value for his picks than we've ever seen from a GM here in Vancouver - whether or not he decides to trade them, he gets more value than we've ever seen.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Those players were brought in as stop gap roster fillers with each also having some upside to be more than that, and were brought in at a time when we were never going to contend anyway. It's not a bad idea to take fliers on guys who may or may not work out during a rebuild.
Okay, during a rebuild, to sign UFAs (as stop-gaps) to one or two year deals. But JB traded picks/prospects for some of these stop-gaps, and also signed some to term beyond two years. That’s not getting stop-gap fillers; that’s not rebuilding; that’s sacrificing the future in hopes to win in the present.
I’ll give JB the Miller trade (he bent Yzerman on that one) but the list of these other players provided here proves JB shouldn’t have been here to make the Miller deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trading picks away like crazy? In the last 5 years, Benning traded away only one first round pick and he got JT Miller back. That's not trading picks away like crazy, that's called making appropriate moves at appropriate times.

Furthermore, Gillis traded away a 1st and got back Keith Ballard. And Nonis would've probably kept the pick and drafted another Patrick White. At least Benning gets way more value for his picks than we've ever seen from a GM here in Vancouver - whether or not he decides to trade them, he gets more value than we've ever seen.
Gillis being terrible at the draft doesn’t make JB better. JB is awful, and should be replaced. Sadly, the only guy we have who is any good (Bracket) is leaving.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Okay, during a rebuild, to sign UFAs (as stop-gaps) to one or two year deals. But JB traded picks/prospects for some of these stop-gaps, and also signed some to term beyond two years. That’s not getting stop-gap fillers; that’s not rebuilding; that’s sacrificing the future in hopes to win in the present.
I’ll give JB the Miller trade (he bent Yzerman on that one) but the list of these other players provided here proves JB shouldn’t have been here to make the Miller deal.

You've strawmaned my original post and got it completely ass-backwards. I didn't say they were ONLY stop-gap fillers, I specifically added that they also had the upside to be more than that. Why would you leave out that critical piece of information? Maybe because your objection wouldn't make sense in light of what I actually said?

If Benning was merely getting stop gap players then he would've just kept the 35 year old Richardsons and Higgins and Santorellis. He didn't.

What Benning actually did was fill the "gaps" in the lineup with stop-gap level players who were still relatively young and potentialled. Completely different and it IS part of rebuilding. How is that sacrificing the future?

Are you really expecting me to buy that? "Benning ruined our future by getting too many young roster players with potential!" Ridiculous.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You've strawmaned my original post and got it completely ass-backwards. I didn't say they were ONLY stop-gap fillers, I specifically added that they also had the upside to be more than that. Why would you leave out that critical piece of information? Maybe because your objection wouldn't make sense in light of what I actually said?

If Benning was merely getting stop gap players then he would've just kept the 35 year old Richardsons and Higgins and Santorellis. He didn't.

What Benning actually did was fill the "gaps" in the lineup with stop-gap level players who were still relatively young and potentialled. Completely different. How is that sacrificing the future?

Are you really expecting me to buy that? "Benning ruined our future by getting too many young roster players with potential!" Ridiculous.
I understand that when one has been (by the facts) made to look the fool they might digress to using terms like “ridiculous” to devalue others’ views. You are entitled to your opinion, but the facts (in regards to Benning) speak loudly. Benning, as pointed out here on multiple occasions, is a terrible GM.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I understand that when one has been (by the facts) made to look the fool they might digress to using terms like “ridiculous” to devalue others’ views. You are entitled to your opinion, but the facts (in regards to Benning) speak loudly. Benning, as pointed out here on multiple occasions, is a terrible GM.

Actually I find the most common refuge of a person who can't justify his claims to be vacuous replies like yours to being called out for setting up bogus strawmen.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

That is not what they were intended to be, it's what they turned out to be though. There were a lot of draft picks traded for those "stop gaps". It's just pure evidence of terrible pro-scouting and it has now led to the more recent FA signings.

The Ferland signing is still beyond hilarious to me. This outcome was as predictable as ever.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That is not what they were intended to be, it's what they turned out to be though. There were a lot of draft picks traded for those "stop gaps". It's just pure evidence of terrible pro-scouting and it has now led to the more recent FA signings.

The Ferland signing is still beyond hilarious to me. This outcome was as predictable as ever.

Consider a more nuanced view in which a player can be a stop gap and also a young roster player with the potential to be a long term contributor. That player is worth more than a mere stop gap player in his 30s. It's very unlikely that the picks we gave up would turn out to be better players than the ones we traded for, it's a fallacy to suggest otherwise.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Consider a more nuanced view in which a player can be a stop gap and also a young roster player with the potential to be a long term contributor. That player is worth more than a mere stop gap player in his 30s. It's very unlikely that the picks we gave up would turn out to be better players than the ones we traded for, it's a fallacy to suggest otherwise.

Honestly the idocy of your statement knows no bounds much like my spelling of idocy...

One of these players you spend a high draft pick on, vs one you will generally get back a draft pick on... now tell me who has more value, Linden Vey or Brad Richardson, who we could have signed for free to to a better job, had a second that we traded for Vey, and if we wanted to move on from Richardson we could have gotten back a pretty damn good pick, and maybe more.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Honestly the idocy of your statement knows no bounds much like my spelling of idocy...

One of these players you spend a high draft pick on, vs one you will generally get back a draft pick on... now tell me who has more value, Linden Vey or Brad Richardson, who we could have signed for free to to a better job, had a second that we traded for Vey, and if we wanted to move on from Richardson we could have gotten back a pretty damn good pick, and maybe more.

Ok first of all, you're out of your GD mind if you think we could've gotten anything good for Richardson.. there's a reason why he was forced to take league minimum in the middle of a freaking desert when we didn't sign him.. and it's not because his value was high.. more like the opposite..

But to your main point... getting Vey was adding a young skilled player to a roster with barely any young skilled players.. logical thing to do.. and yes he was not as good as Richardson defensively but he started off with decent production and he had the offensive skills to be a potential 2nd line guy.. if you look at the probability of the pick we gave up amounting to more than that odds are against you.. he didn't work out, hindsight is 20/20, yada yada.. there were definitely growing pains but there was always a clear vision to get younger, faster, and more skilled and transactions like getting Vey clearly demonstrate that vision and the plan was there from the beginning..

We could've absolutely blown the Pettersson pick, we could've drafted Pastrnak, we could've traded this player for that pick and gotten X superstar, there are so many could haves for every manager.. but if you look at the whole body of work, we have Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat.. a YOUNG leadership group with tons of speed and skill.. and a relatively young, speedy, and skilled supporting cast.. that's a damn good job and nitpicking it because it wasn't perfect enough for you is missing the entire forest because you're only looking at a few trees.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What are you talking about??

Also that Brackett post is completely fake news, he isn’t going anywhere

17c.png

Your post aged pretty poorly so far lol.

Reactions: rypper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad