Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Can't you just see Benning sitting in his boxers in an air conditioned room with 3 phones, a couple 2 tree computers with e-mails and skype open sweating his bollocks off due to his stress as he tries to get some other NHL GM to help him with his cap dilemma with any kind of deal that will enable him to sign Boeser?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Can't you just see Benning sitting in his boxers in an air conditioned room with 3 phones, a couple 2 tree computers with e-mails and skype open sweating his bollocks off due to his stress as he tries to get some other NHL GM to help him with his cap dilemma with any kind of deal that will enable him to sign Boeser?
14F 8D, 2G signed with $5mil in space.
Assuming they will carry 7D and 14F..
They will be shedding 2 bodies to the A still... so that's about $1.8mil more in cap room...
So around $7mil in space for Boeser...

Dont think he's that stressed.

I guess you can continue to imagine and visualize Benning in his boxers over signing Goldy... so you do you.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
14F 8D, 2G signed with $5mil in space.
Assuming they will carry 7D and 14F..
They will be shedding 2 bodies to the A still... so that's about $1.8mil more in cap room...
So around $7mil in space for Boeser...

Dont think he's that stressed.

I guess you can continue to imagine and visualize Benning in his boxers over signing Goldy... so you do you.

The 7 D will be new for Benning. Hope he doesn't lose one of those D-men as he has been prone to lose players when waiving them.

Love that you assume Boeser is waiting eagerly for that $7 mil.

I think he needs 1 more deal to make his life a lot easier.

If it's going to be so easy, why doesn't he just do it? The rules allow him to go over at this point in time.

Also, spent right up to the max is brilliant for a team in the Canucks position, but many of you see 0 problems with that so I'll butt out with that. Good day.

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The worst team in the NHL over the last 4 years and we are cap crunched.

JB gets an extension. 30 other teams are laughing.

Yeah, my picture of Benning above sweating it out over having a problem signing Brock because he's in a cap crunch after the deal he gave to Myers. Meanwhile dolts like Sutter, Beagle, and Eriksson are making ridiculous numbers for what they produce and now he's playing hardball with Brock for asking for similar numbers or more than Eriksson at least.

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah, my picture of Benning above sweating it out over having a problem signing Brock because he's in a cap crunch after the deal he gave to Myers. Meanwhile dolts like Sutter, Beagle, and Eriksson are making ridiculous numbers for what they produce and now he's playing hardball with Brock for asking for similar numbers or more than Eriksson at least.

I really hate this toothless , gutless media tho. Nobody asks “GMJB, you’ve built the leagues worst team statistically over the last 4 years..... how do you explain being up to the cap ceiling?”

We could not have been worse over the last 4 years if we spent to the cap floor. Think about that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! Quietly, the Canucks have completely overhauled their scouting and player development roster. Chris Higgins is in and Dan Cloutier is out after seven seasons in player development.

Elsewhere, Troy Ward, Phil Golding (former Guelph Storm Assistant GM); and Martin Bakula (formerly the European scout for the Coyotes) are all in. Meantime, Todd Harvey, Derek Richard, Patrik Jonnson, Vincent Montalbano and Brandon Benning have all received new assignments.

With the exception of Higgins and Cloutier,I haven't heard of any of these guys. But when you combine these latest developments with all the changes and the revamp of the scouting staff earlier this spring, it looks like a complete housecleaning.

Probably long overdue. I think I read somewhere that the Canucks were operating with one of the thinnest hockey ops department of any team in the league.

All you can hope is that all the changes are for the better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hmm....Eklund of Hockey Buzz reporting that the Canucks are one of the teams expressing an interest in Rangers backup goaltender Alexandar Gorgiev.....Apparently the Rangers are committed to King Henrik Lundquist for the foreseeable future, and have a star backup in the making in Igor Shesterkin, who has just been recalled from the minors.

.I know its only Eklund, but wondering if this might portend a deal down the road involving Demko? Would the Canucks also be interested in disgruntled winger Lias Andersson from the Blueshirts?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Hmm....Eklund of Hockey Buzz reporting that the Canucks are one of the teams expressing an interest in Rangers backup goaltender Alexandar Gorgiev.....Apparently the Rangers are committed to King Henrik Lundquist for the foreseeable future, and have a star backup in the making in Igor Shesterkin, who has just been recalled from the minors.

.I know its only Eklund, but wondering if this might portend a deal down the road involving Demko? Would the Canucks also be interested in disgruntled winger Lias Andersson from the Blueshirts?

Andersson would be an interesting piece, especially considering him and Petey played on the same line at the WJC and had some decent chemistry. That and the fact the Canucks have had so much success with Swedes

Would have to wonder what his cost would be though since Im assuming many teams would be interested in him

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Trading our 1st for a player only here for 4 years and still praying we make the playoffs. Just a terrible move

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
4 yrs is almost a whole generation/era in the NHL.

Also... How do you know how long he"ll be with us?
Whole era? Lol good one. Making a trade like that to just be a bubble team with glaring holes still in the top 6 and on defence was just odd timing. Also why assume he will be here longer than 4 years? Maybe he will be gone sooner or chase a pay day when he turns 30. Us making the playoffs next season is a question mark. Theres a good chance the team doesnt change next year

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Whole era? Lol good one. Making a trade like that to just be a bubble team with glaring holes still in the top 6 and on defence was just odd timing. Also why assume he will be here longer than 4 years? Maybe he will be gone sooner or chase a pay day when he turns 30. Us making the playoffs next season is a question mark. Theres a good chance the team doesnt change next year
Imagine the hole in the top 6 without Miller...
Don't understand your logic of - we have many holes in our roster, so let's not address any of them.

Miller was well worth the trade. I don't think that's even debatable at this point. Our best all-around forward locked in for 4 yrs under $6mil had for a mid to late 1st and a 3rd.

Timing? You don't believe they needed to show any progress, or needed to be deeper than last yr's version?
Remaining status quo on last year's roster/top 6 would have made for a very looong season. I'm glad they went the direction they did.

Don't forget - last yr was purely a developmental yr - they replaced Sedin, Sedin, Vanek with Roussel, Beagle, Schaller... They brought in veterans to grind, play tough minutes and help remain competitive defensively knowing the struggles coming on offense. Pettersson was a revelation (like is Hughes this yr).
The timing seemed right to add offense to support ahead-of-the-curve talent Pettersson... hence you have the logic behind adding Miller, Myers, Ferlund.

So we'll agree to disagree.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Imagine the hole in the top 6 without Miller...
Don't understand your logic of - we have many holes in our roster, so let's not address any of them.

Miller was well worth the trade. I don't think that's even debatable at this point. Our best all-around forward locked in for 4 yrs under $6mil had for a mid to late 1st and a 3rd.

Timing? You don't believe they needed to show any progress, or needed to be deeper than last yr's version?
Remaining status quo on last year's roster/top 6 would have made for a very looong season. I'm glad they went the direction they did.

Don't forget - last yr was purely a developmental yr - they replaced Sedin, Sedin, Vanek with Roussel, Beagle, Schaller... They brought in veterans to grind, play tough minutes and help remain competitive defensively knowing the struggles coming on offense. Pettersson was a revelation (like is Hughes this yr).
The timing seemed right to add offense to support ahead-of-the-curve talent Pettersson... hence you have the logic behind adding Miller, Myers, Ferlund.

So we'll agree to disagree.

Id rather address the problems through the draft for at least two more years rather than make trades. If the team could at least show its capable of making the playoffs than that trade makes sense. Miller is good sure but would be 30 by the time this team can contends. Ferland is overpaid and injury riddled. Myers is 30 and overpaid. I wouldve liked to see a long term plan from this team. Instead we made a gamble to be a bubble team. Thats why I think its bad timing. I dont know what team makes a move like this in rebuild. We dont have much to show for in D prospects. Outside of Hughes our defence is getting pretty old. We couldve used a few high picks rather than be a middling team. I just feel like the team jumped the gun

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Id rather address the problems through the draft for at least two more years rather than make trades.
Could you describe what that would have looked like for the roster and for on ice results for the next 2 yrs?
What would your alternative look like during the final two yrs of the ELC yrs of Pettersson and Hughes?

If the team could at least show its capable of making the playoffs than that trade makes sense. Miller is good sure but would be 30 by the time this team can contends. Ferland is overpaid and injury riddled. Myers is 30 and overpaid. I wouldve liked to see a long term plan from this team. Instead we made a gamble to be a bubble team. Thats why I think its bad timing. I dont know what team makes a move like this in rebuild. We dont have much to show for in D prospects. Outside of Hughes our defence is getting pretty old. We couldve used a few high picks rather than be a middling team. I just feel like the team jumped the gun

I'm sorry... but you are describing the Oilers. You are stating you would have preferred a perpetual rebuild where this team would stand pat with prospects and accept to go 6 yrs with with no chance of playoffs (likely more)... Yeah.. not for me... I'm glad they choose their current direction.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Could you describe what that would have looked like for the roster and for on ice results for the next 2 yrs?
What would your alternative look like during the final two yrs of the ELC yrs of Pettersson and Hughes?

I'm sorry... but you are describing the Oilers. You are stating you would have preferred a perpetual rebuild where this team would stand pat with prospects and accept to go 6 yrs with with no chance of playoffs (likely more)... Yeah.. not for me... I'm glad they choose their current direction.

The Oilers are ahead of us in the standings and have good prospects on Defence and Forward. If Chia didnt make some bad trades and signings it wouldve been better. The Blackhaws did a great job building through the draft. Ottawa even acquired picks and has some good prospects. Point is some teams take the time to acquire great core pieces than make acquisitions to contend when ready. We just jumped the gun on the rebuild to be a bubble team. Whats the future plan for this team? Our defence is old and there is hardly anything high end in our cupboard. What team builds like us and has success?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The Oilers are ahead of us in the standings and have good prospects on Defence and Forward. If Chia didnt make some bad trades and signings it wouldve been better. The Blackhaws did a great job building through the draft. Ottawa even acquired picks and has some good prospects. Point is some teams take the time to acquire great core pieces than make acquisitions to contend when ready. We just jumped the gun on the rebuild to be a bubble team. Whats the future plan for this team? Our defence is old and there is hardly anything high end in our cupboard. What team builds like us and has success?

Last year the Oilers were in year 4 of McDavid and Draisaitl... and we still were ahead of them in the standings during a developmental yr where we didn't replace the Sedins and Vanek.

We discovered Pettersson was elite, and banked Podkolzin during that yr... so the core we are running with is now:
Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes.. and you hope Podkolzin and Hoglander...

Playing out 164 more hopeless games to acquire 2 possible high end prospects that may be ready in 4 ot 5 yrs from this past offseason while completely burning the ELC yrs of the league's 2 more elite prospects is very very Oiler. Can't believe you think that was a better way to go...

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Last year the Oilers were in year 4 of McDavid and Draisaitl... and we still were ahead of them in the standings during a developmental yr where we didn't replace the Sedins and Vanek.

We discovered Pettersson was elite, and banked Podkolzin during that yr... so the core we are running with is now:
Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes.. and you hope Podkolzin and Hoglander...

Playing out 164 more hopeless games to acquire 2 possible high end prospects that may be ready in 4 ot 5 yrs from this past offseason while completely burning the ELC yrs of the league's 2 more elite prospects is very very Oiler. Can't believe you think that was a better way to go...
We one less point than the oilers and just a game in hand. Burning picks like we did was bad. Rushing a rebuild like us to be a bubble team is just an odd move. What do we have in the future for D? Our current defence is old outside of Hughes. The Blackhawks did a much better job rebuilding. Ottawa did a good job acquiring picks and prospects. The oilers couldve been better but made bad moves like us. They couldve had Barzal. Got a lack luster return for hall and signed Lucic. Yet they can still make up for those bad moves when their prospects on elcs come up. Our team made bad moves that hindered the future. All for the sake of contending every year. Baertschi trade is a loss, Sutter, Vey, Gudbranson. Can you really defend those moves? Overpaying Loui, Myers, Beagle and Ferland. Our bottom 6 is trash and overpaid. Id rather go the chicago model than this. Ottawa might even turn out better rebuild. Long term contending is better than early round bounces. We could just be a middling team like the Wild. What teams even build like us?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
4 yrs is almost a whole generation/era in the NHL.

Also... How do you know how long he"ll be with us?
If Jimbo and the scouts are to be believed, the draft kinda falls off the table after about the 14th pick. So if the Canucks make the playoffs, Tampa picks a player who's probably 2-3 years away from cracking their lineup. And if the Canucks fail to make the playoffs, then they automatically keep their lottery pick, and the first rounder reverts to 2021.

Really, if you're going to trade your first rounder, this about as 'low risk' a way to do it as you can get. The only way if blows up in their face is if the Canucks don't qualify for the playoffs both this season and next. Could happen. But not likely.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We one less point than the oilers and just a game in hand. Burning picks like we did was bad. Rushing a rebuild like us to be a bubble team is just an odd move. What do we have in the future for D? Our current defence is old outside of Hughes. The Blackhawks did a much better job rebuilding. Ottawa did a good job acquiring picks and prospects. The oilers couldve been better but made bad moves like us. They couldve had Barzal. Got a lack luster return for hall and signed Lucic. Yet they can still make up for those bad moves when their prospects on elcs come up. Our team made bad moves that hindered the future. All for the sake of contending every year. Baertschi trade is a loss, Sutter, Vey, Gudbranson. Can you really defend those moves? Overpaying Loui, Myers, Beagle and Ferland. Our bottom 6 is trash and overpaid. Id rather go the chicago model than this. Ottawa might even turn out better rebuild. Long term contending is better than early round bounces. We could just be a middling team like the Wild. What teams even build like us?
Holy moving goalposts, Batman.

What was the Chicago model again?

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
Holy moving goalposts, Batman.

What was the Chicago model again?
Build through the draft. Get actual core pieces to contend long term. When you have a good core that can show it can make the playoffs you make trades to boost your team. I never said I wanted the Edmonton model. That was just you using one example. Other teams build through the draft and do well but youre just only focused on Edmonton. So again what team actually builds like us?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad