Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Just spitballin'...but supposing Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gaudette and Demko knock it out of the park in training camp and you have to keep them. Can Jimbo make any kind of deals to break up the logjam? Can he get anything for guys like Nilsson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Eriksson, Hutton or Goldobin? Or are they just dead contract weights?
Yeah hopefully. i hadnt really thought of having Dahlen in the lineup but he has impressed tho still wanna wait on if he makes the team or not. For that I will assume he will start in Utica, but your points stands look at this lineup:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldobin Pettersson Eriksson
Lipesic Gaudette Virtanen
Schaller Beagle Sutter
Roussell Gaunce

Edler Stecher
Juolevi Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Pouliot

Markstrom
Demko

That leaves Gagner, Granny, Del Zotto, and Nielsson on the outside looking IN. So trade n wave em

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a nice idea but Granlund and Del Zotto aren't going anywhere. Demko might beat out Nilsson, but he'll have to twice as good in training camp for that to happen. The guy I sense is very much on the bubble might be Gagner....makes that three-year contract they handed him look even worse.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Could one of Benning's supporters point to a long term contract handed out by Benning that is looking good right now?

So no "looking like will develop" or "if x,y,or z then it will be good"

Reactions: y2kcanucks

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Tanev.
Seems the market has caught up to Sutter contract as well.
Horvat is on a great one.
Fair enough except for the Sutter contract..."catching up" makes it clear it is/was a bad contract and you are relying on his "production/contribution" continuing despite age and, apparently, a changed role this year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Fair enough except for the Sutter contract..."catching up" makes it clear it is/was a bad contract and you are relying on his "production/contribution" continuing despite age and, apparently, a changed role this year.

Yeah if it's a fair contract now then it was definitely an overvalue three years ago.

And I think he is still being paid more than he'd make in the open market, albeit not by a lot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've come to the conclusion that the Canucks should stay away from trading for players or signing UFA's from the Eastern Conference. I don't know what it is, but guys like Sutter, Dorsett, Gudbranson, Eriksson and Pouliot just haven't panned out. That's why it's so hard to have much optimism for Beagle and Schaller.

What is it? Is the Western Conference faster? Is it the travel? Why is that so many guys from East seem to struggle out West? In fact if you look at the Canuck transactions, two of their most decent deals have been for Granlund and Goldobin, both Western Conference players. And Motte, who had such a good training camp showing, is also from the West.

Maybe just a coincidence. But I don't think so.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Gagner gone, surely the 2017 free agent frenzy by the Canucks has to go down as the worst in team history. It's an ugly list. Burmistrov to the KHl; Weircioch (now in the KHL, but never played a game for Vancouver); Rodin, went back to Europe and now in the Ducks system; Nilsson who couldn't win a game in the last three months; Del Zotto, one of the worst plus minuses of any regular d-man in the NHL; And Vanek, who at least scored regularly but was eventually flipped to Columbus for Motte.

And yet for all this laughable ineptitude the only guy who walked the plank was the team's President, Trevor Linden.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
You paying the bills? Who exactly could the canucks have picked up to fill those roles you seem to be concerned about.

Salary matters if you're paying it

Cap hit matters if we're in cap trouble

Cap hit matters if there are alternatives that were better to sign

People whine and complain about this all the time, Ericksson in particular - and yes he hasn't lived up to his contract but up to that point he was a highly effective 2 way top 6 winger who was coming off a great season, it was him or Lucic and thank god we didn't get the latter.

As for Sutter, his value is underappreciated by many fans, just as Edler's is. He was coveted around the league last year at the deadline and will be again this year. He would have got us a first round pick last year, and will again this year. To me that says he's not over paid nor ever was.

You have to pay up to get players in UFA unless the are awful. Sutter has played a very important stablizing role for the Canucks and is not overpaid by any means, nor ever was for what he brought. There are few better 3c's in the league who can play the shut down role as well as him, and take very heavy/hard minutes away from offensive centers

His role is even MORE important now given you have Bo and Petey learning to be the 1/2c on the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just supposin': Gaudette and Gaunce are better replacements as 3-4 centers than Sutter and Beagle; and the team keeps winning without Edler and Tanev in the lineup. Does Jimbo have an unprecedented opportunity to deal some veterans to fast-track the youth movement?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just supposin': Gaudette and Gaunce are better replacements as 3-4 centers than Sutter and Beagle; and the team keeps winning without Edler and Tanev in the lineup. Does Jimbo have an unprecedented opportunity to deal some veterans to fast-track the youth movement?
Yes. Definitely... Sutter and Edler anyway.. but they would have to be winning differently than they have been... more definitively, organized, with the replacements not just surviving, but driving their lines.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Yes. Definitely... Sutter and Edler anyway.. but they would have to be winning differently than they have been... more definitively, organized, with the replacements not just surviving, but driving their lines.
Really hope to see an Edler waive and trade and re-sign for a home town discount as a UFA. He's having a very good year, munching minutes, blocking everything and will get pity points on the pp with EP. He could fetch us another first rounder and maybe a prospect. Let's hope he pulls a Burrows and does what's 'right for the team'

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually looking forward to this year's trade deadline....I know last year Jimbo was savaged for not grabbing some additional draft picks. But Motte and Leipsic have proven to be useful pickups for this team; and the year before, Goldobin and Dahlen. What's more impressive is that none of players Jimbo traded to acquire these kids are still with the teams that acquired them.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm actually looking forward to this year's trade deadline....I know last year Jimbo was savaged for not grabbing some additional draft picks. But Motte and Leipsic have proven to be useful pickups for this team; and the year before, Goldobin and Dahlen. What's more impressive is that none of players Jimbo traded to acquire these kids are still with the teams that acquired them.
The only significant play for Benning seems to be Edler... I would not hold my breath on Edler waiving... He'll probably Sundin us.

The less significant, but most likely move is Del Zotto for a depth pick or two.. a 3rd and 4th.. something like that... see what the market ends up looking like.
Don't think JB will be looking to add a body in the trade.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Could one of Benning's supporters point to a long term contract handed out by Benning that is looking good right now?

So no "looking like will develop" or "if x,y,or z then it will be good"

Gudbranson, Roussel, Beagle, Horvat, Tanev, Markstrom, Sutter all looking good. Eriksson’s ok. Any others I’ve forgotten?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

how often are trade deadline rentals ever with the teams that acquired them a year or two later?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Gudbranson, Roussel, Beagle, Horvat, Tanev, Markstrom, Sutter all looking good. Eriksson’s ok. Any others I’ve forgotten?
Gudbranson...hahahaha
Roussel.....waiver wire fodder
Beagle....meh...grossly overpaid
Hortatory - yes very good
Tanev...unless he’s flipped looking like the injury bug makes this a LTIR/insurance case...hardly a win
Markstrom...right-beginning to regress to his norm-mediocre
Sutter - barely worth it now...possiblly flip-able
Eriksson.....how many millions/goal-give your head a shake

Miss anything?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Gudbranson...hahahaha
Roussel.....waiver wire fodder
Beagle....meh...grossly overpaid
Hortatory - yes very good
Tanev...unless he’s flipped looking like the injury bug makes this a LTIR/insurance case...hardly a win
Markstrom...right-beginning to regress to his norm-mediocre
Sutter - barely worth it now...possiblly flip-able
Eriksson.....how many millions/goal-give your head a shake

Miss anything?

Roussel as a waiver wire player really speaks for itself, I won’t even touch that ...

Beagle’s caphit is 10% less than Manny Malhotra’s was as a % of the cap and they have the same role and same statistics. You have to say Manny was even more overpaid than Beagle.

Eriksson if you look at comparables like Hornqvist, Marleau, Lucic, Eberle, Okposo, Backes to name a few guys with pedigree who make the same money as Loui signed as free agents around the same time Loui’s production this year is in the wheelhouse plus he does all the little things right and shows our kids how to be good pros. I’m happy with the contract right now.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Beagle’s caphit is 10% less than Manny Malhotra’s was as a % of the cap and they have the same role and same statistics. You have to say Manny was even more overpaid than Beagle.

That wrong (again of course). In Malhotras first season with the Canucks he was winning 61.7% of his faceoffs. Even the year after he was still 58.5% matching Beagles career high, while playing with an injured eye. His O-Zone starts were at 24 and 13% respectively, Beagle had 31 and 24% in his last two years in Washington.

Manny was 5th in the Selke voting in 2011, Beagle was 24th last year. Prime Malhotra is in a different stratosphere compared to Beagle.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That wrong (again of course). In Malhotras first season with the Canucks he was winning 61.7% of his faceoffs. Even the year after he was still 58.5% matching Beagles career high, while playing with an injured eye. His O-Zone starts were at 24 and 13% respectively, Beagle had 31 and 24% in his last two years in Washington.

Manny was 5th in the Selke voting in 2011, Beagle was 24th last year. Prime Malhotra is in a different stratosphere compared to Beagle.

Those stats are comparable, not too much difference in faceoff ability, points, or OZS. Thanks for making my argument for me. I can’t believe you’re using Selke votes as an argument though, that’s really weak.

Anyway it should be said that I’m a big Manny fan and I think he was better than Beagle is but when you factor in that I think Manny took a discount to play here, I’m sure he had other much better offers, he was underpaid and Beagle didn’t take a discount to be here. I don’t think Beagle is underpaid I think the value is just right.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Let’s just end this b.s jay beagle faceoff prowess value once and for all.
Jay beagle has played 471 career games and taken 4507 face offs in that time. He has a career winning percentage of 56.4% which means that he has won 2544 faceoff and lost 1963 faceoffs.
Any center that wins their faceoffs at a 50% rate would have won 2253 faceoffs in that same period.
That means that in his 471 games JayBeagle has won 5.39 faceoffs a game and the center at a career faceoff percentage of 50% would win 4.78 per game.
The difference between jay beagle and the 50% faceoff guy works out to jay beagle winning 0.61 faceoffs more per game or roughly 1 more every 2 games.

His defensive play is bad and his pk numbers as seen by advanced stats are brutal.

He brings nothing to the table that any other vet that could be signed for a 1/2yr deal at 1 mill doesn’t

Why the heck is that worth a 4year 3 mil per contract?

Reactions: MS and y2kcanucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad