Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Schenn can no longer skate at the NHL level...He's not an NHL player anymore....Sounds like you were listening to Botchford.
He could be an NHL player, doesn't mean a good one.

How do you determine an NHL player vs a non NHL player? I ask because you like to use these terms a lot, but with no consistency.

Are you an NHLer just by playing NHL games? You don't seem to believe this, by your characterization of Goldobin as a non-NHL player so I'd really like to know what you mean.

Like is there an ice time level? A specific stat? Anything?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He could be an NHL player, doesn't mean a good one.

How do you determine an NHL player vs a non NHL player? I ask because you like to use these terms a lot, but with no consistency.

Are you an NHLer just by playing NHL games? You don't seem to believe this, by your characterization of Goldobin as a non-NHL player so I'd really like to know what you mean.

Like is there an ice time level? A specific stat? Anything?
You can easily determine if they are an NHL player if they are in the NHL...If you cant skate, cant pass, cant defend and go on waivers..its not looking too good...Schenn was an NHL player, the game has passed him by.

Goldoblin has never 'established' himself as an NHL player..being a consistent healthy scratch, cant stay in the lineup, cant produce (except playing with one player)...He hasn't put together one cohesive season yet...He's as close to being out of the league as to being in it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You can easily determine if they are an NHL player if they are in the NHL...If you cant skate, cant pass, cant defend and go on waivers..its not looking too good...Schenn was an NHL player, the game has passed him by.

Goldoblin has never 'established' himself as an NHL player..being a consistent healthy scratch, cant stay in the lineup, cant produce (except playing with one player)...He hasn't put together one cohesive season yet...He's as close to being out of the league as to being in it.
Is Schaller an NHL player?

Is Gudbranson? I think the only thing that separates Schenn vs Gudbranson is draft year. If you look at their stats, they're near identical the past few season, Gudbranson was just able to have a GM sign him to a big contract.

I actually don't think you would see much difference if you swapped Schenn and Guddy in the lineup. And on a good team neither get into the lineup.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is Schaller an NHL player?

Is Gudbranson? I think the only thing that separates Schenn vs Gudbranson is draft year. If you look at their stats, they're near identical the past few season, Gudbranson was just able to have a GM sign him to a big contract.

I actually don't think you would see much difference if you swapped Schenn and Guddy in the lineup. And on a good team neither get into the lineup.
Not going to disagree that Gudbranson has some pretty glaring stats..Unfortunately for Schenn, mobility is a huge issue ..(Gudbranson is good skater for his size)...It clearly demonstrates a shift from a decade ago where an average skating dman with grit that was a commodity is now a liability.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to me that when Jimbo focuses in on just one player his deals can be effective. Leivo, Motte and even Goldobin were good acquisitions, relative to what the Canucks gave up. Even Pouliot for a fourth rounder and Andrey Pedan, is a defensible deal, even if Pouliot has only become a depth d-man.

And looking forward, the reality is the Canucks could deal both Gudbranson and Sutter, and the team would be no worse off.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
@Literally Just a reminder that you should update the transaction tracker to include the MDZ for Schenn and '20 7th rounder trade.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Seems to me that when Jimbo focuses in on just one player his deals can be effective. Leivo, Motte and even Goldobin were good acquisitions, relative to what the Canucks gave up. Even Pouliot for a fourth rounder and Andrey Pedan, is a defensible deal, even if Pouliot has only become a depth d-man.

And looking forward, the reality is the Canucks could deal both Gudbranson and Sutter, and the team would be no worse off.
They would be better

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
I can understand why so many fans here are Happy that Gudbranson finally got dealt, but man he’s totally been skewered on this board today. You would think that the guy murdered someone, with some of the classless comments I’ve read. The personal hatred against the guy is very odd. Some of the posters here seriously need to find another hobby, if they’re getting so tied up emotionally over a 3rd paring D man on their hockey team that they need to publicly assassinate his character on his way out of Vancouver. Pretty pathetic! Good luck in Pittsburgh to Eric, and I’m looking forward to seeing what the next man up Luke Schenn (who some fans here are already mentally destroying), before he even takes the ice, does with his opportunity to return to the NHL!

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I can understand why so many fans here are Happy that Gudbranson finally got dealt, but man he’s totally been skewered on this board today. You would think that the guy murdered someone, with some of the classless comments I’ve read. The personal hatred against the guy is very odd. Some of the posters here seriously need to find another hobby, if they’re getting so tied up emotionally over a 3rd paring D man on their hockey team that they need to publicly assassinate his character on his way out of Vancouver. Pretty pathetic! Good luck in Pittsburgh to Eric, and I’m looking forward to seeing what the next man up Luke Schenn (who some fans here are already mentally destroying), before he even takes the ice, does with his opportunity to return to the NHL!

I agree the way some "fans" are acting here is pretty pathetic. Good luck to him elsewhere sez I...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012

Just to keep you up to date they played and didn’t crap the bed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems inevitable now that Sutter will be following Gudbranson out the door this summer. Depth centers, even one with the injury history of Sutter, are always in demand during free agency.

Seems ironic that Jimbo and Canucks will have little to show for the Kesler, Sutter and Gudbranson trades. One thing is certain. It'll be a long before Jimbo ever uses the term "foundational player" again to describe any player acquisition.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I've watched the Canucks closely since Pettersson's debut. It has been with a fairly open mind. But, it's only february and I already severely dislike Benning as a GM. How do you downgrade your team as a rebuilding seller?!

It might be his goons that are idiots, but it still reflects upon him. My only conclusion can be the NHL is in no shortage of incompetently ran organizations. I think many would improve with a dart throwing monkey. I'm up for hire, I only want $100,000 a year to make decisions.

Seriously, what the hell are the credentials these old, senile GMs get their jobs from? "Well, I have a driver's licence, I like hockey and cigars and I like to boss around on my own gut!". And if it's not the GM, it's some other fool which gut shot the GM trusts. It baffles me how bad they are at their jobs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even the ultimate Canuck cheerleader Alex Auld admitting on the post-game show that if the Canucks get off to another rocky start next year and it looks like they'll miss again, then the current regime is in deep trouble.

My fear is that Benning--with his job on the line--will hit the UFA market and sign another batch of useless players with ridiculous term on their contracts. He might be leaving an even worse mess than Chiarelli for his eventual successor.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even the ultimate Canuck cheerleader Alex Auld admitting on the post-game show that if the Canucks get off to another rocky start next year and it looks like they'll miss again, then the current regime is in deep trouble.

My fear is that Benning--with his job on the line--will hit the UFA market and sign another batch of useless players with ridiculous term on their contracts. He might be leaving an even worse mess than Chiarelli for his eventual successor.

Benning needs to be fired immediately to allow a new GM who can actually evaluate talent and who understands the salary cap to manage the wad of cap space we’re going to be sitting on this summer.

The worst possible thing that can happen is this idiot handing out another 3-4 long-term Beagle/Eriksson contracts in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs and save his job.

This GM doesn’t care about 3-4 years from now and is about to create a disaster for his successor to clean up.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Benning needs to be fired immediately to allow a new GM who can actually evaluate talent and who understands the salary cap to manage the wad of cap space we’re going to be sitting on this summer.

The worst possible thing that can happen is this idiot handing out another 3-4 long-term Beagle/Eriksson contracts in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs and save his job.

This GM doesn’t care about 3-4 years from now and is about to create a disaster for his successor to clean up.

For all of Dave Nonis’ issues way back when, he resisted the urge to make knee-jerk trades to save his job at the end and I admired the integrity of that approach.

I get the sinking feeling that Benning and especially Weisbrod will do just about anything this summer to keep their jobs (for another six months).

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For all of Dave Nonis’ issues way back when, he resisted the urge to make knee-jerk trades to save his job at the end and I admired the integrity of that approach.

I get the sinking feeling that Benning and especially Weisbrod will do just about anything this summer to keep their jobs (for another six months).

Nonis was also a young guy at the time with a long future ahead of him in the sport, and making rash moves wasn’t going to help his long-term reputation. But yes, agreed.

Benning will never work as an NHL executive again after leaving here. Getting fired next year after making responsible moves that help us win a Cup 5 years from now does nothing for him.

Conversely, squeaking into the playoffs gets him another contract worth $millions. So he’ll be desperate to sign anyone at any price and term and if he gets that next contract ... so what? Deal with those problems later.

It’s not a good situation for a franchise to be in.

Reactions: timw33

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Nonis was also a young guy at the time with a long future ahead of him in the sport, and making rash moves wasn’t going to help his long-term reputation. But yes, agreed.

Benning will never work as an NHL executive again after leaving here. Getting fired next year after making responsible moves that help us win a Cup 5 years from now does nothing for him.

Conversely, squeaking into the playoffs gets him another contract worth $millions. So he’ll be desperate to sign anyone at any price and term and if he gets that next contract ... so what? Deal with those problems later.

Can't blame the guy for trying hard to make some dough. I heard trailers are getting expensive these days.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Pretty scary that some of the bad contracts he signed in the past was when he WASN'T desperate. Eriksson, Miller, Sutter, Dorsett, Sbisa, Gudbranson, maybe even Beagle/Schaller/Roussel were not out of desperation per se last summer when he wasn't feeling as much heat.
Truly terrifying what will result when he IS desperate.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With the draft in Vancouver, I'm getting increasingly uneasy about reports from usual hockey sources that the Canucks are going to be huge players in free agency on July 1st.

Rumour is, that despite all the cooing about 'being patient', the owner is getting antsy with no playoff hockey for four years an counting. So if Benning is going to 'jump off the UFA cliff", who does he go after? Karlsson, Panerin, Duchene. Skinner or Gardiner?

Will the Canucks pull the trigger and blow their brains out on the UFA market?

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
In no way shape or form do I support any of the shenanigans that Benning has deployed in his tenure...but...it would be interesting if he at least spent some of that free agent money on a player that can actually contribute instead of vastly overpaying for yet another washed up “leader/mentor/Christ figure” to steer the team in the right direction while simultaneously fitting the “age gap”.

At least they’d contribute to the scoresheet and if it all continues to go south, whoever takes over would have a valuable asset to flip at some future trade deadline - for once!

member 290103

With the draft in Vancouver, I'm getting increasingly uneasy about reports from usual hockey sources that the Canucks are going to be huge players in free agency on July 1st.

Rumour is, that despite all the cooing about 'being patient', the owner is getting antsy with no playoff hockey for four years an counting. So if Benning is going to 'jump off the UFA cliff", who does he go after? Karlsson, Panerin, Duchene. Skinner or Gardiner?

Will the Canucks pull the trigger and blow their brains out on the UFA market?

Benning was on 650 saying he’s just looking for some less flashy UFA vets to support his young players.

More 4 year deals for mentors and guys that one played on a winning team.

More Beagles, in other words.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Benning was on 650 saying he’s just looking for some less flashy UFA vets to support his young players.

That's not what he said at all.
He said the opposite.

Said he ok with the depth support (I.e. he's got his Beagles and Rousells already). If does anything in free agency he'll be looking at a high end addition to address needs.
When asked if he would target like a $10-11 mil type player he said no... indicating the tier of players below Karlsson... like maybe Gardiner...

Don't know what interview you listened to.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I'm sticking with my prediction of Myers and Ferland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->