Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Literally, May 3, 2017.

1. 420Canuck

420Canuck Registered User

He could be an NHL player, doesn't mean a good one.

How do you determine an NHL player vs a non NHL player? I ask because you like to use these terms a lot, but with no consistency.

Are you an NHLer just by playing NHL games? You don't seem to believe this, by your characterization of Goldobin as a non-NHL player so I'd really like to know what you mean.

Like is there an ice time level? A specific stat? Anything?

2. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

You can easily determine if they are an NHL player if they are in the NHL...If you cant skate, cant pass, cant defend and go on waivers..its not looking too good...Schenn was an NHL player, the game has passed him by.

Goldoblin has never 'established' himself as an NHL player..being a consistent healthy scratch, cant stay in the lineup, cant produce (except playing with one player)...He hasn't put together one cohesive season yet...He's as close to being out of the league as to being in it.

3. 420Canuck

420Canuck Registered User

Is Schaller an NHL player?

Is Gudbranson? I think the only thing that separates Schenn vs Gudbranson is draft year. If you look at their stats, they're near identical the past few season, Gudbranson was just able to have a GM sign him to a big contract.

I actually don't think you would see much difference if you swapped Schenn and Guddy in the lineup. And on a good team neither get into the lineup.

Hit the post and Peter10 like this.
  4. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

Not going to disagree that Gudbranson has some pretty glaring stats..Unfortunately for Schenn, mobility is a huge issue ..(Gudbranson is good skater for his size)...It clearly demonstrates a shift from a decade ago where an average skating dman with grit that was a commodity is now a liability.

5. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Seems to me that when Jimbo focuses in on just one player his deals can be effective. Leivo, Motte and even Goldobin were good acquisitions, relative to what the Canucks gave up. Even Pouliot for a fourth rounder and Andrey Pedan, is a defensible deal, even if Pouliot has only become a depth d-man.

And looking forward, the reality is the Canucks could deal both Gudbranson and Sutter, and the team would be no worse off.

6. GoTeamDom

GoTeamDom Registered User

@Literally Just a reminder that you should update the transaction tracker to include the MDZ for Schenn and '20 7th rounder trade.

7. pgj98m3

pgj98m3 Registered User

They would be better