Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary | Mod warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think a big part of the problem is that Jimbo trades for players based on what 'he thinks they can do" versus what "they've actually done".

Pretty obvious with the benefit of hindsight that Sutter is never going to be a 'foundational' centre, and Gudbranson just isn't a 'top-four" d-man on a competitive NHL team. But when Jimbo and Canucks gave up valuable picks and assets for them, that's what they claimed they'd be.

I'm OK with acquiring and then trying to project what 19-20 year-old kids like Goldobin and Dahlen might become....but guys who've in the league for five years, basically are what they are. And GM's like Tallon and Rutherford seem to get this and just wait to school a desperate GM like Benning.

Consider the below information:

• The league has an outright nepotic culture. The league takes care of its own. You play ball with the league, the league will ensure that you're taken care of. People wonder why the DOPS is so inconsistent? It's because the DOPS isn't about "player safety", it's about grooming players to be managers.
  • Jimbo was a 6th overall pick in 1981 and has been in the league for almost 40 years.
  • Jimbo was the AGM of one of the biggest power brokers in the league and that would be Peter Chiarelli. The fact that Peter was able to go from winning a SC in Boston to Connor McJesus's Coilers should tell you how much clout Chiarelli has in this league.
  • Jimbo is a ****ing moron but yet, they let him become AGM on a Stanley Cup winning team (considering how much of a moron Jimbo is, how much assistance do you think Jimbo was in assembling Boston's SC winning roster?)
So considering all of the above, who here believes that the league would let Jimbo get ripped off by a fringe GM like Dale Tallon?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
But what if Vatanen and Ritchie were available and Franko said no go

I doubt Frank said no since Jimbo had a whole off season to find a Bonino level player. Jim just wanted Bonino and Sbisa real good and got them. Nothing to do with aquilini meddling.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
It's kind of crazy how if Benning didn't make any trades and just signed existing players, we'd likely have a better team.

Is Sutter better than Richardson and/or Santorelli?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I doubt Frank said no since Jimbo had a whole off season to find a Bonino level player. Jim just wanted Bonino and Sbisa real good and got them. Nothing to do with aquilini meddling.

I dont believe you at all

whole off season would imply no pressure to trade KEsler immediately

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
We would of had an old and very VERY slow team that would of spent the entire 82 in 29th.

Kesler is on fire this year, Matthias isn't slow, Santorelli's career was derailed by that season in Toronto, Richardson had a 30pt season last year then his leg broken by Tram this year, Kassian has reawoken.

Defense wouldn't be too different as we'd still have Hutton, Hamhuis would be 5 and Bieksa would be the 6/7.

We wouldn't be a playoff team by any chance but it would probably still be a better team lmao

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
It's kind of crazy how if Benning didn't make any trades and just signed existing players, we'd likely have a better team.

Is Sutter better than Richardson and/or Santorelli?

It's actually funny how hard other management groups have to work to tank a team - TOR for example last year had to deal away vets at the deadline, sign 1 year UFAs (to flip), purposefully leave the bottom 6 open, etc to finish bottom 3 in the league.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
It's actually funny how hard other management groups have to work to tank a team - TOR for example last year had to deal away vets at the deadline, sign 1 year UFAs (to flip), purposefully leave the bottom 6 open, etc to finish bottom 3 in the league.

Benning got skills.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Tryamkin's untimely departure and the likelihood of losing Sbisa in the expansion draft, the Canucks could be in a world of trouble on the blueline....So who fills the gap next year?.....Do Juolevi and Brisebois get long looks; or how about the Utica guys --Pedan, Subban and McEneny?....of does Jimbo need to dip into the UFA market again?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
With Tryamkin's untimely departure and the likelihood of losing Sbisa in the expansion draft, the Canucks could be in a world of trouble on the blueline....So who fills the gap next year?.....Do Juolevi and Brisebois get long looks; or how about the Utica guys --Pedan, Subban and McEneny?....of does Jimbo need to dip into the UFA market again?

That's a depressing thing to consider.

Off past performance by this management team one has to expect Juolevi to be kept with the Canucks, even if he isn't ready. Perhaps they have an easier time judging whether Juolevi is ready than JV or McCann, or it works out ok for them. Perhaps they will no longer rush juniors if they don't appear ready.

Otherwise, Pedan, Subban and McEneny haven't been so impressive in Utica to make one think they're ready (though there are lots of Canucks fans who will look at Subban's scoring and disagree.) That probably means the UFA route-hopefully a well-judged, cheap contract rather than swinging for the fences with a big-name signing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

:laugh:

Somehow I think replacing a #6 left side D isn't going to be the toughest assignments for Benning (especially since IF that happens, it frees up $3+ million in cap space).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since the Canucks are now officially using the "R" word, is there any chance of dumping Eriksson's contract on somebody?...any chance of doing what the Leafs did with David Clarkson?....just askin'.:help:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Since the Canucks are now officially using the "R" word, is there any chance of dumping Eriksson's contract on somebody?...any chance of doing what the Leafs did with David Clarkson?....just askin'.:help:

In the example you gave the Leafs' owners bit the bullet and dumped Clarkson's contract for Nathan Horton, who they would have to pay even though he was on the IRL. It meant the owners would spend more but get rid of a contract applying against the salary cap (for most purposes.)

It's hard to see why it would be worth Aquilini's money right now while the team isn't going to contend, but perhaps if the rebuild goes well it could be worthwhile before the end of Eriksson's contract. I'm not optimistic enough to think it would be, nor that another type of situation will arise to make such a trade worthwhile to both sides, but one can always hope.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

One more year like the gross yr he just had and Yes.

I take that back... we keep until we're ready to upswing. Then eat his contract one way or another.

But I think we'll see him come back to life as part of the T.Green PP resurrection plan.

God I hope there is Travis Green PP resurrection plan.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
One more year like the gross yr he just had and Yes.

I take that back... we keep until we're ready to upswing. Then eat his contract one way or another.

But I think we'll see him come back to life as part of the T.Green PP resurrection plan.

God I hope there is Travis Green PP resurrection plan.

Megna - Sutter - Eriksson
Gudbranson - Tanev

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
:shakehead

Yer talking in terms of how a fan would trade Ryan Kesler which (no offense) is the worst possible way to approach such a transaction.

And coincidentally, this is how Jimbo trades Canucks assets and this is why Jimbo gets shafted 99 times out of 100.

At the time of the transaction
- Kesler was under 30
- Kesler was still under contract for one more season at an extremely cost economical price of 5M. Thanks Gilly!
- Kesler had run into some bad luck injurywise but still was able to lead the Canucks in scoring with 25 goals.
- Anaheim had no 2nd line. The last time Anaheim had a 2nd line was when Selanne was still playing and at that point of time, they had old man Saku Koivu feeding Selanne.
- Anaheim was currently using Bonino as their 2C and Bonez is not a 2C. He's a 2C/3C tweener (and a damn good one!).

Now:
- Kesler remains one of the top defensive centers in the league and his consistent Selke nominations prove this.
- Kesler was, is and will continually to play like a dick and is the exact kinda guy that Montreal wishes Pacioretty could play like (maybe they should show some Kesler videos to him).
- Kesler is signed to a 6Y/41.25M contract which is the type of a contract foundational players get.

Kesler was an extremely valuable under 30 hockey asset that was signed for 1 more year on a very cap friendly contract and Anaheim desperately wanted him. End of story.
(there's probably also a pretty good ad stats argument surrounding Kesler)

I obviously don't have any problems getting Bonez and their 1st back but the positive gains from Bonez and that 1st are more than offset by how bad Sbisa was and continues to be.

Which means Jimbo gave Kesler away for free.

What's worst. Giving Kesler away for free? Or bribing Bergevin with draft picks and cap space to take Kassian?

7O34chu.png

Tough choice.

Agree to disagree. I still would have moved him sooner than later. Doesn't excuse the down-line asset management though. That's pretty horrific.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With roughly $14m potentially coming off the books at the end of the season with the Sedins, would you consider taking a run at signing a guy like Tavares if he becomes a UFA?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
With roughly $14m potentially coming off the books at the end of the season with the Sedins, would you consider taking a run at signing a guy like Tavares if he becomes a UFA?

Why would Tavares come here? He's an Ontario kid and our team is likely going to be a hot mess.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yikes!...forgot that Evander Kane was a UFA in a year.....he's got Linden, Benning and the Canucks written all over him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
That's a depressing thing to consider.

Off past performance by this management team one has to expect Juolevi to be kept with the Canucks, even if he isn't ready. Perhaps they have an easier time judging whether Juolevi is ready than JV or McCann, or it works out ok for them. Perhaps they will no longer rush juniors if they don't appear ready.

Otherwise, Pedan, Subban and McEneny haven't been so impressive in Utica to make one think they're ready (though there are lots of Canucks fans who will look at Subban's scoring and disagree.) That probably means the UFA route-hopefully a well-judged, cheap contract rather than swinging for the fences with a big-name signing.

Yeah maybe Mceneny

Edler Stecher
Hutton Tanev
Mceneny Biega
Gudbranson

Probably Juolevi and Brisebois in Utica

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

A lot of that will get taken up by internal pay rises to the likes of Horvat and co. We'll probably have $7m, Tavares isn't coming for that even if he could be enticed to come here. The other problem is even if we could find a huge amount of extra cap, it would only buy us a short break as Boeser and the other young ELCs will start coming off their ELCs and pushing for fatter contracts while all the space is allocated to Sutter, Eriksson and Tavares etc. I'm not sure the guys running this show could handle the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad