Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game

Coach-Noel-post-game-vs.-Wild-300x167.jpg

Following the loss coach assessed his team's play vs. Wild.

For it, click here.

Wild-beat-Jets-300x142.jpg

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

For above click here.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Must suck for Winnipeg fans to drive 8 hours to watch such a boring game. :shakehead

Only 7 hrs to drive here. I would recommend this trip to anyone. The game was on the dull side. The neutral zone was being clogged up by both teams pretty well. The atmosphere in the building was amazing though. Serenading Harding. The Lets Go Wild Go Jets Go Chants. They paused just long enough for us to get one in between. Went to Eagle Street Grill after Wall to wall packed 90% Jets fans. Everyone had a good time. Even the locals I talked to were positive about our presence in their building. They like us. it's not like Leaf fans at the phone booth. I'll be back next year.

bazaaa*

...Silver lining now we can see Peluso since Noel wouldn't be messing with a winning line-up :naughty:

I'm sure we'll be set up for disappointment when lines are announced.
It makes too much sense to play Peluso.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
not mad about not shortening the bench. I prefer kane with joki only because joki is defensively responsible while kane isnt and therefore joki tends to cover him. But kane gets pushed down to the sheif frolik line and well you saw what happen there. sheif is still a rookie and isn't going to cover kane and vice versa. but now that you think about it, with trangradi on the ice instead of kane, would that icing still result in a goal due to the faceoff loss? I don't know.

edit: re-watched that goal and kane just standing there...

THN basically pins the goal on the icing (Redmond?) then Scheifele losing the draw, and then losing his man which was his responsibility. Bad final sequence by Scheif. But he shouldn't have been out for the defensive zone faceoff anyways. It all started with the icing.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Scheifele (21), Wheeler (8) and Kane (8) are now a combined 37 games without a goal....three pretty key components.

Scheifele has gone beyond a quarter of a season without a goal....whatever happened to burmistrov?

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm blaming Sip for their struggles. You need to be harder on them! Worked wonders for Wheeler. ;)

I'll try and ramp up the negativity, pessimism and direct it at #9, Dr. Sip's prescription for what ails Mr. Kane.;)

What are we missing when Noel keeps dressing ThorNburn over Pelsuo like it's ground-hog day the movie for Claude.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In the last 28 games of last season he scored 1 goal. Doing good in the K though.

Don't forget Burmi tore up the AHL with 2 goals in 22 games!:sarcasm:

Yeah if only Burmi was back with the Jets, he would have scored at least 1 goal by now, seriously now, Burmi was one of the few forwards on the Jets who could actually hold onto the puck through the neutral zone and pass a puck, his problems began once he got into the O zone.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Don't forget Burmi tore up the AHL with 2 goals in 22 games!:sarcasm:

Yeah if only Burmi was back with the Jets, he would have scored at least 1 goal by now, seriously now, Burmi was one of the few forwards on the Jets who could actually hold onto the puck through the neutral zone and pass a puck, his problems began once he got into the O zone.

We figure out some way to fuse Burmi with Kane and you get a really good player... but headstrong.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I am slightly under the influence right now, but tonight's been a good night. There was a great atmosphere at the game, even though there wasn't much coming from the Jets to get the Winnipeggers involved. Wish Scheif and Kane could have shown up, but our d was solid for how depleted our 3/4 spots are.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Just an interesting stat upon inspection

Evander Kane vs East: 5GP, 2G, 3A
Evander Kane vs West: 15GP, 4G, 3A

I wouldn't yet call that significant but it's something to keep an eye on, I really had hoped he would thrive in a more physical setting.

For all the natural ability, the guy needs to develop more moves. He's becoming a one-trick pony with the speed down the wing and firing a shot or driving the net. Both are either a great scoring chance or a transition opportunity for the other team, but the predictability is making him easier to defend IMO.

I think there was a sense that he was stuck with crap linemates who were holding him back, but watching him with the puck at the goal-line and on the wall on the PP with very little pressure on him shows the glaring deficiencies in his game. He can create for himself, but not his teammates. Problem is when everyone knows that and takes away his opportunities and he's just a fast winger who takes bad stick penalties.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
^yep. having said all that hes a natural goal scorer who will score far more than 6 goals this season and when they are clutch goals the Kane piss tide will surely turn.

Oh and...

I also think that its blatantly obvious that Kaner was playing far better prior to the "healthy scratch" as someone else pointed out. I don't know what this means, but dude began this season with a mission. I think back to the LA game and the NSH game where i think he scored the loan goal basically willing the puck into the net through pure determination.

Whatever is going on between Kane and Noel they had better figure it out for the good of the team. Evander is a better player than this and has played better hockey so far this young season.

Chevy had better call a meeting with those two if he hasn't already. If he did and its had this negative effect then make Evander another GM's problem for lack of a better word. I like it when he plays with heart and will and skill and desire. Passion even, and i'll continue to watch him in a different jersey. Whatever this is, its benefiting no one.

Last edited:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
For all the natural ability, the guy needs to develop more moves. He's becoming a one-trick pony with the speed down the wing and firing a shot or driving the net. Both are either a great scoring chance or a transition opportunity for the other team, but the predictability is making him easier to defend IMO.

I think there was a sense that he was stuck with crap linemates who were holding him back, but watching him with the puck at the goal-line and on the wall on the PP with very little pressure on him shows the glaring deficiencies in his game. He can create for himself, but not his teammates. Problem is when everyone knows that and takes away his opportunities and he's just a fast winger who takes bad stick penalties.

even if he held up once he gained the zone maybe ~15-20% of the time it would give the opposition something to think about

if there's nothing there he can still get the puck deep to continue a forecheck using trailers coming with speed but at least you're making the bad guys have to make a decision - mo' decisions mo' better

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
The Jets lost because they couldn't score more than one goal. Blame Pavs, Redmond, Scheifele and Kane all you want, but until the offense can muster more shots, scoring chances, set plays and goals, this will be the result every time. Secondary scoring is non-existent, and by keying on the LLW line the Wild took away any offensive effectiveness.

Pavelec gave the Jets a chance to win this one, and they blew it. And isn't that what you want your goalie to do? I thought he played good enough to win, and the Jets let him down.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'll try and ramp up the negativity, pessimism and direct it at #9, Dr. Sip's prescription for what ails Mr. Kane.;)

What are we missing when Noel keeps dressing ThorNburn over Pelsuo like it's ground-hog day the movie for Claude.

I don't think you need too increase your negativity because its alive and well.....just redirect it and focus a bit more ;) :sarcasm: Seriously I think you have found a nicer balance for your report card that reflects a team that could miss the playoffs for the 4th strait year with the same core but aren't really terrible either.

Maybe its just me but I am not sure I get the Thorburn Peluso debate? They are both 4th line fighters that are capable of playing more minutes than novelty act goons like McGrattan but are not make or break it players. I am all for seeing Tony get more ice time but he is a 24 year old player and I am braced for the fact that what we see might be what we get and I think he is marginally better than Thorbs as a hockey player. To be clear Tony is a better fighter and not a terrible player (not that great either) so i would like to see him replace Thorbs I am Just AWAY less passionate about the topic of our 4th line fighters that between them have 1 point so far in 21 games of combined action.

Not sure which one of them will get to face McGrattan tonight but I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy :help:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kane will be fine.....he is going through a mini slump and he is a streaky player. It will come back

As far as I can tell on the ice he is pretty much the same player that showed up in 2011. He is a streak shooter who is big and fast and capable of putting up 30 goals. He is not a smart player or a good passer though so one has to temper expectations. He is exactly who he is and that is not a bad thing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's a shame to lose it in the last 3 minutes but let's not blame this one on Ellerby. He has been very solid since coming here and makes far fewer mistakes than Clitsome and Pardy. Scheifele lost the faceoff cleanly and didn't tie up his man; you could see him slamming his stick in frustration.
Pavelec did everything we could expect from him, so did LLW, but we need some secondary scoring. Kane, in particular, looks like a shadow of his former self.

That second goal was on a lot of people including both Ellerby and Scheifele. There is no excuse for Ellerby to ice the puck, zero pressure and plenty of options yet he trys to force the low percentage play. Scheifele lost the draw cleanly and when he rotated down after Coyle beat the defenseman in the corner Frolik didn't pick up Koivu. I'm not at all sure if Scheifele should have stayed on Koivu or not as the center usually goes to the wall on Noel's system to support the defense.

I thought the Jets played a pretty dumb game for the most part.

Players:

Redmond looked like a player that has only played two games this year. He was clearly rusty and unsure of where to go.

LLW had probably their worst game in a long time despite the goal. Really got hemmed in their end for long stretches.

Olli, Seto and Frolik and Pavelic where good.

Buff was ok but lost way too many board battles in our end.

Scheifele was our top faceoff guy at 40% which clearly shows we got absolutely dominated in that respect on the night. Little and Jokinin have to clearly pick it up. Other than the sequence on the goal Mark was once again good defensively effecrively linking with the defense on the breakout. However he uncharacteristically off with his passing through the NZ tonight. All in all not one of his better games, but not terrible like many other Jets tonight.

BennyTheJet

Oct 4, 2011
Toronto
I'm getting worried about Scheifele. He is not developing as fast as I thought he would. He gained a ton of strength and weight in the off-season, but doesn't appear to be any stronger on the puck and gets knocked around just as much as last season. He appears to have lost his goal scoring touch as well. Where is the slippery kid that would evade detection and pop in those juicy rebounds beside the net?

It's disheartening. I hope he turns it around.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I'm getting worried about Scheifele. He is not developing as fast as I thought he would. He gained a ton of strength and weight in the off-season, but doesn't appear to be any stronger on the puck and gets knocked around just as much as last season. He appears to have lost his goal scoring touch as well. Where is the slippery kid that would evade detection and pop in those juicy rebounds beside the net?

He is 20.
First full year in the NHL.
I don't know what you were expecting.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We really missed Bogo and/or Trouba out there. Their ability to carry the puck out of their own end would have been very useful at times last night.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Many goal scorers run hot and cold, Kane is likely to be no different. I was really hoping this season we could see a 65-70 point Evander Kane, it's going to take a good bit to get to those numbers, I think.

Tough to say here whether Kane is just running cold, if he's got some lingering injury, or if it's a Noel thing, who knows. One thing is for sure, it wasn't long ago when he was our best player and leading the way on the ice, his whole "FU" attitude was great but it seems to have tapered off, for some reason.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Kane will be fine.....he is going through a mini slump and he is a streaky player. It will come back

As far as I can tell on the ice he is pretty much the same player that showed up in 2011. He is a streak shooter who is big and fast and capable of putting up 30 goals. He is not a smart player or a good passer though so one has to temper expectations. He is exactly who he is and that is not a bad thing.

I think the book is out on Kane and teams now know how to defend him, he is frustrating to watch at times and it must be frustrating for his linemates as well when they hustle down the ice and Kane lets a shot go from just outside the blue line, his 30 goal season may have been an aberration, time will tell.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm curious what you expect from him given his role on the team at this point. He's not in an offensive role and plays with two guys who really don't have the skill set to get him the puck in good positions.

Hes been quite good defensively and tgrough the NZ.

As for for a point of reference centers drafted around his draft position as 20 year olds.

Granlund:

8 points and a -6 in 27games last year. Bounced back and force between the NHL and AHL. This year 12 points in 21 games.

Ryan Johansen:

12 points in 40 games as a soft more and spent time in the AHL.
This year 13 in 20.

Colin Wilson:

Didn't break out offensively until third season in the league.

Kyle Turris had 20 in 63,as a softmore. He didn't breakout unt he got to Ottawa a couple of years later.

My point is that young centers don't develop overnight, it often takes a couple of years in the show for them to get comfortable and hit their stride. Scheifele looks be developing as expected according to the comparables above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad