Post-Game Talk: Jets Win in OT 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Blues were the better team through 2 periods, clearly. But I have yet to see the Jets lay a complete egg this year, and once again they blitzed the other team enough to win the game. Would like to see a real dominant win at some point but it's still early and haven't even reached the 10 game mark.

Hope the switch is permanent. Laine with Little was a nice thought, but with Laine being such a 1 dimensional threat at the moment playing him with the best set up guy on the team just makes sense. Didn't feel like Laine's shots were very dangerous I wonder if losing weight has taken something off his shot. Anyway, had some nice looks and I hope it's just a small sample.

Reactions: Jets88 and GNP

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Blues were the better team through 2 periods, clearly. But I have yet to see the Jets lay a complete egg this year, and once again they blitzed the other team enough to win the game. Would like to see a real dominant win at some point but it's still early and haven't even reached the 10 game mark.

Hope the switch is permanent. Laine with Little was a nice thought, but with Laine being such a 1 dimensional threat at the moment playing him with the best set up guy on the team just makes sense. Didn't feel like Laine's shots were very dangerous I wonder if losing weight has taken something off his shot. Anyway, had some nice looks and I hope it's just a small sample.

I thought Laine had some good passing plays too (like the Wheeler tip-in for example). I don't think he one-dimensional at all. It's just about making those lightning quick reads and plays and the first line was really fantastic doing that. Second line was instantly more dangerous, maybe it was Laine's lack of explosiveness that was part of the problem also. The second line seemed to dominate with speed once upgraded.

If the switch isn't permanent I am going to be absolutely dumbfounded. Or at some kind of variant of the switch at the least. It was like a zombie with no legs turning into Hulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mud Turtle

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think that a 2+2, +3, 5 sog point game is not so bad :huh: The team came out with a win beacuse of Chef leading the way.

Checked only highlights, but he got lucky on his goals. But he was due to some luck given the chances and good play he has had in most of the games.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Did LSW have a single defensive break-down in the third? I think that line is going to be money.

I know how this is going to sound like but I don't think Laine "floating" (AKA putting himself in scoring areas) is a bad thing because it seems to reinforce the defensive side of the line, and Laine having his shot should basically live in those areas. Not saying at all that he shouldn't work his ass off every shift but not every kind of work is good work necessarily. He was also cycling on the boards when it was appropriate, but seemed to be situated more in the high-boards (is that a thing) area in the o-zone.

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
He had not been good until the third period. Then he started working.
Yes, UNTIL the third period. It's the end result that matters and I don't think you can say that Scheifele had a bad GAME when his team wins and he scores 4 pts. I get a feeling that this game was the turning point and the Jets will play up to their standards from now on.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Did LSW have a single defensive break-down in the third? I think that line is going to be money.

I know how this is going to sound like but I don't think Laine "floating" (AKA putting himself in scoring areas) is a bad thing because it seems to reinforce the defensive side of the line, and Laine having his shot should basically live in those areas. Not saying at all that he shouldn't work his ass off every shift but not every kind of work is good work necessarily. He was also cycling on the boards when it was appropriate, but seemed to be situated more in the high-boards (is that a thing) area in the o-zone.
In Laine's case I wouldn't call it floating when he hangs out farther from the net. He is a real scoring threat from almost any distance and is also well positioned defensively most of the time. He is not going to the quiet areas out of laziness. I would however like to see more intensity from him, since we've seen what kind of plays he is capable of when he's hot.

Reactions: GNP and grieves

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Just happy Jets won.

Laine and Ehlers didnt play bad.
On a hot streak their shot would have gone in.
But its not going in.

Jets are winning go Jets go.

Happy for Little.

Laine Schiefele Wheeler that is power vs. Power line.

Connor Little with Ehlers looks to be a better fit.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
In Laine's case I wouldn't call it floating when he hangs out farther from the net. He is a real scoring threat from almost any distance and is also well positioned defensively most of the time. He is not going to the quiet areas out of laziness. I would however like to see more intensity from him, since we've seen what kind of plays he is capable of when he's hot.

Yeah that's what I meant, which is why the quotation marks on "floating". I think he will soon get his confidence back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scheifelaine

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That game had me on my seat.

It's too early to say Brossoit gets back-to-back starts. Hellebuyck did play spectacular despite letting in four goals.

Bryan Little though, he's been playing unreal these past few games.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Where's the "Brian Little Is An Elite #2 C" thread?

Nice comeback! Got me all riled up before bedtime.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
[T]he Jets remind me of me not preparing for the exam and then pulling an all-nighter the day before the exam and somehow managing to get a good grade, while that's great, it's not sustainable.
Watch me.

I don't know why it is such a struggle for this team to play a full 60 minutes of hockey. Glad with the victory, but it is somewhat alarming to see these one- or two-period efforts so often.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pretty awesome we can mail a game in for a large portion and still win. Really need to wake up and play like the third for the whole game though.

I hope Mo starts the TO game with the third period lines.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You must be new here
We suck apparently :sarcasm:
Yeah I don't like to fret over things too much. At this point in the season I'm just enjoying that we can pile up wins with pure talent and only needing to find our game in bits in pieces. I've watched for years as teams did this to us. Where we could bust our ass all night long and watch a team like the Pens wake up in the 3rd and pull out a win after taking the night off. I will trust as the season goes on the boys will gradually dial things in and we will be a beast once again come playoff time. This time with a little more left in the tank and a year more experience.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah I don't like to fret over things too much. At this point in the season I'm just enjoying that we can pile up wins with pure talent and only needing to find our game in bits in pieces. I've watched for years as teams did this to us. Where we could bust our ass all night long and watch a team like the Pens wake up in the 3rd and pull out a win after taking the night off. I will trust as the season goes on the boys will gradually dial things in and we will be a beast once again come playoff time. This time with a little more little more left in the tank and a year more experience.
I was a pessimist prior to last year and after the massive turnaround and maturation of some of our prospects i decided not to criticize every misstep made by team or organization on a game by game basis.
More fun to just watch and enjoy

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great 20 minutes of hockey by the Jets. Will we ever play 60 minutes again?

Maurice with the great coaching decision to blender the lines. Oh, wait, what? He was forced to because Tanev was thrown out? Oh, nevermind then.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This was more Wheeler's fault than Morrissey's. Wheeler called for the pass and had two opportunities to change before this.

That's how I saw it as well. Wheeler back to taking stupidly lo g shifts in ot again. Both Buff and Scheifele changed at reasonable times.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't know about that. I watched Connor fly into the corner and Ehlers stand 4 feet away from the puck waving his stick at it half assed. Ehlers needs to toughen up, he's too much of a ***** along the boards. I've never seen someone so scared to fight for the puck, he just stands stick length away swinging at it. Of course he never wins those battles.

The only way those two play well together is perhaps off the rush.
Laine has been doing that for 2 years. Did anyone what see that when he got to play with Scheifele and Wheeler in the third that it clearly woke him up? He was going into board battles and cycling the puck like I've never seen him do before. I think he wants to make that line stick.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Laine had great game and was rewarded with spot on the first line. Wheeler had few opportunities to set up drop pass play and didnt use it. First line was super good on 3rd period.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yeah I don't like to fret over things too much. At this point in the season I'm just enjoying that we can pile up wins with pure talent and only needing to find our game in bits in pieces. I've watched for years as teams did this to us. Where we could bust our ass all night long and watch a team like the Pens wake up in the 3rd and pull out a win after taking the night off. I will trust as the season goes on the boys will gradually dial things in and we will be a beast once again come playoff time. This time with a little more left in the tank and a year more experience.

Yes we’ve been on the other side of these types of games all too often.
Sitting on this side of the coin, I’m not sure what to feel.
Maybe “guilty” is the right word. But only for a few seconds. :laugh:

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Laine has been doing that for 2 years. Did anyone what see that when he got to play with Scheifele and Wheeler in the third that it clearly woke him up? He was going into board battles and cycling the puck like I've never seen him do before. I think he wants to make that line stick.

Who wouldn't? :D

It was good to see some more intensity in his game, but honestly he needs to play like that no matter who he plays with. BUT also it was instantly obvious how much better the line worked. It seems with Little as his center there's just not never any space for the kind of plays he likes to make, and the times there is, Little just isn't on the same page. With Scheif and Wheels, there was more open ice for Laine to find space, also the quick pass to Wheeler for a redirect was just the kind of play very rarely would happen in the Little line. Also I didn't get at all the feeling that Laine was just some kind of floater in that Laine trying to rely on Scheifele and Wheeler doing the hard work - that's a narrative that's been pushed by some people about how Laine plays, but he was engaging in board battles when he deemed it the right thing to do (though not very good at them...) and when not, like someone already pointed out, his positioning was such that he was always ready to switch to defence, while being open for a pass.

Likewise the 2nd line really got a boost from the energy Connor brings and he and Little are both capable of playing a 'tight game' - I'm not sure what I mean by that :D I guess more straight forward hockey towards the net and in tight spaces. Look what playing a year in the 1st line did to Connor - not that he didn't have the talent.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Great to get the 2 points, but...

play 100 games trailing by 2 goals going into the third... and you will lose 95 of them. This is not the way this team needs to play or should be playing. They got lucky and there is NO excuse for coming out that flat on home ice.

Play this way against Toronto next game and after 40 minutes the Jets will be so far behind, Toronto could pull their goalie for the 3rd and they will still win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig