Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 3-2

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Ehlers isn't more defensively responsible than Scheifele. Kyle sucking so bad in his own end, if anything, gives Ehlers-fans enough cover to hide his flaws on that side of the rink. Ehlers has no business being lumped in with Perfetti, Vilardi, and Nino as far as defense goes.

Someone on the coaching staff needs to introduce the inchworm concept to Kyle Connor. Badly. He looked like he was meeting his old highschool sweetheart at a busy bus terminal.

"Inchworm is a great illustration of what progress looks like, the ups and downs, and the fact that C-game improvement must match A-game improvement so your entire skill set and level of performance rises.

Well none of that happens without learning. Your A-game is not getting better without the acquisition of new skills. Your C-game is not getting better without learning how to correct your mistakes. Learning is at the heart of mental game improvement."

He needs take an afternoon on a day off (for starters), to privately work with someone, on how to better position himself. Serioulsy, we're in year 8 now, he's had plenty of reps (PK under Maurice), where's the pride there? His effort last night was atrocious. He makes Steve Nash look like Sidney Moncrief.

I'm all for his not being physical (he's built like Gretzky), but the last 3 games, he seems to be coasting all over the place; for the most part. He was also horrible in overtime, in both zones; aside from waking up in the final moments of last night's game.

It used to be a pretty common thing for Kyle to be sprung loose from his own blue line, and score off of a breakaway. I don't remember him being able to do that all of last year. He still has plus straight line speed, but he's not getting the same separation that he used to. He used to seemingly teleport to the right spots, and that's no longer a usual thing for him. His knack for coming up with the puck along the boards, in congested areas (which I think made him special), isn't what it used to be either.

I'm always for Kyle being demoted, because he always steps up. Maybe he needs to be demoted every 3rd or 4th game, to play with consistent focus/purpose. He certainly did 2 seasons ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If you split up Scheif and Connor, where do you put Connor? Not sure I like the idea of Connor/Perfetti/Ehlers, and that second line is working well.

Is it crazy to put Connor on Lowry's wing with Nino? Is that a big waste or would he pot goals?
What's wrong with Connor-Names-Perfetti exactly?

I'd give the top line with Iafallo a bit more burn than splitting them up right away.

And no to Lowry and Connor in my view.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
How is Perfetti going to break out if he is playing 12 minutes a game? I want to know the reason for his benching last night.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How is Perfetti going to break out if he is playing 12 minutes a game? I want to know the reason for his benching last night.

Bones wanted size the last two shifts his line for board battles. He explained all this last year when asked why he would routinely sit Cole and Ehlers late in games.

He's doing nothing different then last year in terms of usage. Would rather play for a draw or play to prevent scoring in 3 in 3 until he can put Scheifele out. He's about as risk adverse as they come.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If you split up Scheif and Connor, where do you put Connor? Not sure I like the idea of Connor/Perfetti/Ehlers, and that second line is working well.

Is it crazy to put Connor on Lowry's wing with Nino? Is that a big waste or would he pot goals?
I know KC does his one thing good (goals), but after the PLD trade I feel like we could improve the team by trading him for 2 or 3 good hard workers that still put up points.

If we think he’s brutal now, just wait until the physicality is turned up in the playoffs.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Bones wanted size the last two shifts his line for board battles. He explained all this last year when asked why he would routinely sit Cole and Ehlers late in games.

He's doing nothing different then last year in terms of usage. Would rather play for a draw or play to prevent scoring in 3 in 3 until he can put Scheifele out. He's about as risk adverse as they come.
That's not good for his confidence. The message the coach is sending you is that he does not trust you in critical times of the game. Stupid coaching.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think that the PGT in HFOilers should be mandatory reading for anyone advocating for a full rebuild

You can suck for a decade just to draft a generational talent (or two) and then still suck. Imagine watching McDavid walk in free agency after getting nothing out of all of his years of service

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I really wish we could see the difference with Vilardi and Heinola in the lineup. Vilardi could actually be a great 2C as well, very versatile that way.
Perfetti - Vilardi - Ehlers could be good. Ehlers is really snakebit right now, but I bet he gets out of it soon. The first 10 games are always a little rusty.

We are definitely weak on D. Capo is playing great in the A, he might get another shot. But we need a RD, top 4.

Overall, I think we can surprise and be near the top of the West. It' s a deep team with some weapons. When Vilardi and VH are back, we are only better.

Schmidt came up with a better effort but I think Chisolm gets in soon, and maybe Capo gets recalled. If Lambert keeps it up, he's possibly on the list. Lambo can slide onto the second line and be dangerous.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Not like Ehlers is doing much. Does he have 2 points in 6 games?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I like Perfetti too but i highly doubt Bowness doesn't coach to win games. And how about that time out he called in OT when we were all over the Oilers and he was able to keep Scheifele, Connor and Morrissey out there. Great call by Bowness because we won the game off the draw after the time out.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Perfetti too but i highly doubt Bowness doesn't coach to win games. And how about that time out he called in OT when we were all over the Oilers and he was able to keep Scheifele, Connor and Morrissey out there. Great call by Bowness because we won the game off the draw after the time out.
Bones does deserve credit for that timeout and the decision to go Scheifele, Connor and Morrissey. That OT goal demonstrated elite offensive talent by those 3.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
On what planet is Darnell Nurse worth 9.25 m a year, as for Kane worst move the Oilers could do was give him a multi year contract with a NMC. Woodcroft better hope McDavid is okay or he might not last past November

They gave him that deal based on playing with McDavid and then wonder why his production drops when he's away from McDavid.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Of course he wants to win. But he wants to win by greatly limiting risk. He's ultra conservative and your point about the time out goes with what I'm saying. He only trusts the Scheifele line to win him the game. That's why he called the time out with limited time left. He wanted his two top guys out there. They are also the line that plays on average almost 5 minutes more a game then the other lines. He's riding them into the ground again and not utilizing his bench well.

This is exactly what he did in Dallas as well. He trusted one line to score and the other three he just wanted to not give up much. Look at his deployment. On 4 on 4 when he can't get Mark and Conner out he puts out Lowry. He's not putting Lowry out because he's the best option to score a goal with the increased room on the ice, he's putting him out because he's the best bet to keep things even until Mark can go out. You saw the exact same in OT. He put Lowry out constantly when Mark wasn't out. You can't tell me Lowry is the best bet to score a goal in 3 on 3.

It's risk adverse conservative coaching. Where you coach not to lose in most game states and to win in only a few.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
On what planet is Darnell Nurse worth 9.25 m a year, as for Kane worst move the Oilers could do was give him a multi year contract with a NMC. Woodcroft better hope McDavid is okay or he might not last past November

Granted, I don't follow the minute details on other teams, but the Oilers gave Kane a multi-year extension AND a NMC?

3hOr.gif

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Of course he wants to win. But he wants to win by greatly limiting risk. He's ultra conservative and your point about the time out goes with what I'm saying. He only trusts the Scheifele line to win him the game. That's why he called the time out with limited time left. He wanted his two top guys out there. They are also the line that plays on average almost 5 minutes more a game then the other lines. He's riding them into the ground again and not utilizing his bench well.

This is exactly what he did in Dallas as well. He trusted one line to score and the other three he just wanted to not give up much. Look at his deployment. On 4 on 4 when he can't get Mark and Conner out he puts out Lowry. He's not putting Lowry out because he's the best option to score a goal with the increased room on the ice, he's putting him out because he's the best bet to keep things even until Mark can go out. You saw the exact same in OT. He put Lowry out constantly when Mark wasn't out. You can't tell me Lowry is the best bet to score a goal in 3 on 3.

It's risk adverse conservative coaching. Where you coach not to lose in most game states and to win in only a few.
All good points and i agree Bowness isn't perfect and has some soft spots but i just think we also have to give credit when credit is due.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All good points and i agree Bowness isn't perfect and has some soft spots but i just think we also have to give credit when credit is due.

Sure, calling the time out was a good move and led to the desired outcome. I give him credit for the teams defensive play but I have disliked how he elects to approach non 5 on 5 ES situations and this is going back to last year for me.

Reactions: Bigfish

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

You are absolutely correct.

The interesting thing is how much he "trusts" Connor when he might be the worst defensive forward on the team. Last night he gave away the puck multiple times, was lazy on backchecks and soft on the boards. He would be the last guy I had on the ice in my own end up a goal or tied.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You are absolutely correct.

The interesting thing is how much he "trusts" Connor when he might be the worst defensive forward on the team. Last night he gave away the puck multiple times, was lazy on backchecks and soft on the boards. He would be the last guy I had on the ice in my own end up a goal or tied.

My guess is he has far too much clout in the room that Bones is afraid to limit his minutes. Much like with Wheeler so instead he does it with young players like Cole who don't have the big contract and clout or players like Ehlers who likely aren't in the key group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad