Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 3-2

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Kupari has been the pleasant surprise of the season, brings the chaos but has the skill to make something of it. Also thought Cole had a hell of a game fighting for the puck and often winning it.

And that penalty on 44 after a puck battle with McD was an odd one.

Thought Gruffalo and Barron also strong, and Nik skating again. Pionk and the D sometimes scary but didn’t give up much that Helle couldn’t save.

KFC needs to be present on every shift. Perfect counter to the “players earn their ice time narrative” at times this season.

Was waiting for the patented “theres a real playoff atmosphere to this one” from the announcers and wasn’t disappointed.
It really is all about the depth.

An exciting skilled 4th line is the dogs bollocks.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Scheifele had a few decent defensive zone plays last night, gave the puck to Draisaitl in the 3rd but immediately won it back, for example. I think he's prone to getting lost in his own end but he can manage.

Agree that Connor is really bad at it though. He hasn't got a clue what to do and I haven't seen him win many, if any, puck battles in his own end.
i have never loved the stack of KC-Scheifele..... with Vilardi they were v good offensively where i don't think they caught defening all to much (was also only 2 games). this was against EDM where McDrai will put up a lot of shots and probably dominate offensively so i wouldn't doubt the stats didn't look great tonight, but am looking forward to seeing how iafallo does with those 2 if that sticks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheifele's line was hemmed in their zone too much last night, but I put most of that on Connor, who was a turnover machine.

Mind-boggling that Perfetti was benched and Bowness thought Connor was the right winger to play a ton in the last 10 minutes to preserve the tie, especially with how poorly he had played in his own zone all game.

View attachment 756265
View attachment 756266

Agreed, makes me wonder if he has a clue what he's doing sometimes or if he lwts his biases overrule the data. Perfetti is once again among the best defensive forwards on the team but somehow Bones can't see past his size bias.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Helle and JMo with their best games so far. Huuuuuge goal by JMo.
Iafallo may very well be the best player in that trade.
KC is an elite sniper but needs to play better in his zone...no two ways about it.
Kup needs to be tried out on the first or second line.
Pionk seems to always play well against the Oilers.
I'd play LB next Saturday against the Habs and give Helle the next 2 against St. Louis and Detroit.
Puzzling why Perfetti didn't play that much.....was he injured?
How does Nate play 4 more minutes than Samberg?
Nino didn't look that good.
If we are in the playoff race come the TDL, I'd have no problem keeping Dillon for the post season.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Scheifele's line was hemmed in their zone too much last night, but I put most of that on Connor, who was a turnover machine.

Mind-boggling that Perfetti was benched and Bowness thought Connor was the right winger to play a ton in the last 10 minutes to preserve the tie, especially with how poorly he had played in his own zone all game.

View attachment 756265
View attachment 756266
You are right the top line had a rough night and was the worst of the 4 lines which goes to show you the Jets have depth for the first time in a long time.
Usually when the top line has a rough game .. its game over ... not anymore.
This was probably Scheifele worst game of the season and yet he scored the game winner how sweet is that?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This is my impression of the Jets so far this year, and we're 2-3 right now, and with a win over Calgary or Vegas, that were close games we could be 3- 2, so not too bad. If after 10 games we could be 500 or a little better, I'd be satisfied with this start.

On the team I have to upgrade the team chemistry and body language on the ice from a (D minus) last year, to a (B+) this year, and this will be the most important element going forward, because if your not all in as a team to win, you won't get very far. You can see this when they score a goal, and the players are pumped and excited, and last year they were not. If they keep playing with passion and intensity, they will win a lot of games, and they have been in all their games until the end.

On the players The biggest change I see is in Mark Scheifele, as he's playing with passion and excitement like he wants to win and lead this team, and his production is showing this. Also the addition of Iaffalo will be big for this team, as the guy puts in a AAA effort every game, and now has 4 points in 5 games. ( good deal) Add in Vilardi when he returns, and that LA trade will look very good. Also with a little time this Kupari could be really good, as he's fast and a great stickhandler, but needs to work on his finishing , but I think it will come. He was a great free pickup from the LA trade that could easily develop into a top 6 guy. We have a lot of depth now, that is very important, and will win us games.

Players I'd like to see improve and I think they will, are Ehlers, Perfetti, and Nino, as they have to start to score, and I have no doubt they will, and when they do, we'll be awfully tough to beat. We tied the Stanley Cup champs in the 3rd period, and could have won that Vegas game.

Our weakness is on defence, I think Stanley has slow foot speed, and should be traded, or sent to the Moose, as this won't improve that much. Also Schmidt is not a $ 6 million dollar defenseman, and more like $ 3 mil, but we can live with that. ( not bad). Where we could improve is by adding Cappo on defense, and also giving Chisholm a shot, and see what he can do. I really like Cappo, and he has big upside for our back end scoring, as he has a great shot.

Goaltending - Helle is starting to heat up, and will get better, and Brossoit is an excellent backup.

In conclusion right now, I think we're heading in the right direction, and Bowness has the players on board, and they all want to win, and when you play with this kind of desire, it will produce positive results. I like what I see so far, so we need a couple more wins right now to boost the confidence, and we'll do just great.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Scheifele had a few decent defensive zone plays last night, gave the puck to Draisaitl in the 3rd but immediately won it back, for example. I think he's prone to getting lost in his own end but he can manage.

Agree that Connor is really bad at it though. He hasn't got a clue what to do and I haven't seen him win many, if any, puck battles in his own end.
He's so brutal. He turned the puck over in our zone and then just floated away instead of fighting to get it back.

Pretty common for a lot of slight goal scorers. Him and Scheifele need a responsible guy who has the skill to play with them, which is why Vilardi works and I like Iafallo there in his absence

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
If you split up Scheif and Connor, where do you put Connor? Not sure I like the idea of Connor/Perfetti/Ehlers, and that second line is working well.

Is it crazy to put Connor on Lowry's wing with Nino? Is that a big waste or would he pot goals?

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Life (including a trip to Urgent Care for X-rays, and my company undergoing M&A with 60% layoffs- fun!) have prevented me from posting until now, but I’m cautiously optimistic about this season.
Color me surprised the Jets were able to re-sign Scheifele and Helle. I thought for sure Helle didn’t want to re-up. The guys must have heard something about the plans to finally make a deep run in the playoffs.
This may be the best depth the Jets have had in a while, but still need better D.
I may not post as much in this forum, but I’ll still be rooting for the Jets all the way!
GJG!!!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He's so brutal. He turned the puck over in our zone and then just floated away instead of fighting to get it back.

Pretty common for a lot of slight goal scorers. Him and Scheifele need a responsible guy who has the skill to play with them, which is why Vilardi works and I like Iafallo there in his absence
Iafallo instead of Appleton is a no brainer to me . But i guess Bowness likes his depth lower in the lineup.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Life (including a trip to Urgent Care for X-rays, and my company undergoing M&A with 60% layoffs- fun!) have prevented me from posting until now, but I’m cautiously optimistic about this season.
Color me surprised the Jets were able to re-sign Scheifele and Helle. I thought for sure Helle didn’t want to re-up. The guys must have heard something about the plans to finally make a deep run in the playoffs.
This may be the best depth the Jets have had in a while, but still need better D.
I may not post as much in this forum, but I’ll still be rooting for the Jets all the way!
GJG!!!
Just watch that Helly video , he says why he signed with Winnipeg.:nod:

Reactions: Luc Labelle and GNP

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree on Iafallo being moved up. He has been very impressive, and prior to the trade I had no idea he was this good of a hockey player.

Absplutely.

It's interesting that the LA guys have found their footing so quickly and not only fit right in, but helped improve the team substantially in just the ways that the Jets sorely needed.

It's almost as if some teams are able to train their players to play "the right way" from the very beginning.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The play that changed the game...

Who looks at that puck, and those odds, and thinks "The goalie takes it!"?

1697999162504.png

Fortunately for the Jets, Skinner does.

1697999516370.png

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you split up Scheif and Connor, where do you put Connor? Not sure I like the idea of Connor/Perfetti/Ehlers, and that second line is working well.

Is it crazy to put Connor on Lowry's wing with Nino? Is that a big waste or would he pot goals?

If we were healthy ......
Switch the bot top line wingers with both 2nd line wingers.

Nino - Scheif - Fly
KFC - Perfetti - Vilardi

Gotta break up Connor and Scheifele, IMO.
Both Perf and Gabe are defensively responsible. So are Nino and Ehlers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
i have never loved the stack of KC-Scheifele..... with Vilardi they were v good offensively where i don't think they caught defening all to much (was also only 2 games). this was against EDM where McDrai will put up a lot of shots and probably dominate offensively so i wouldn't doubt the stats didn't look great tonight, but am looking forward to seeing how iafallo does with those 2 if that sticks.
I was not excited about 55/81 on a line - not enough of a 2 way game there to make this work without bleeding GA.
But - Scheif has surprised me - he's playing a much better all around game - so I changed my mind.

As for KC - I'm not holding my breath waiting for defense to suddenly appear from this guy - it's not going to happen (or very very unlikely).
He's a highly skilled lightweight that is focused 100% on scoring goals - take it or leave it - I'd be shocked if the Jets decided to leave it.
HFJets can continue to call out his D game when he isn't scoring and praise his greatness when he is - and he usually is.

An important part of this line's success is the 3rd wheel - they need someone that can keep up with them, see the O side the game well, and can help out of the D side.
Lafallo looks like he could be that guy while we wait for Vilardi - and it wouldn't surprise me if he was able to stick to that line.

Image the possibilities if Vilardi was now free to fill the RW on the second line - you could potentially move Cole back to center and Names could move down to the bottom 6 where he could shore up the 4th down the middle. Ehlers Perfetti Vilardi sounds pretty good and should provide a really solid 1A/B in our top 6.
Is this crazy talk? Just fleshing out some possibilities.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Fun game to watch

Scheif playing like he should - jomo looking real sharp, Dillon solid

Looked like iafallo replaced apples which I hope is permanent although I'd but Nino on first line...

Names looking good at 2c - worried bones is overthinking perfetti but that's a nice line

Helle solid

Give Samberg more icetime

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad