Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 3-2

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Long day of landscaping Saturday so I crashed sometime during the second period, glad to see a nice OT win!

Did Ehelrs dress?

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This is my impression of the Jets so far this year, and we're 2-3 right now, and with a win over Calgary or Vegas, that were close games we could be 3- 2, so not too bad. If after 10 games we could be 500 or a little better, I'd be satisfied with this start.

On the team I have to upgrade the team chemistry and body language on the ice from a (D minus) last year, to a (B+) this year, and this will be the most important element going forward, because if your not all in as a team to win, you won't get very far. You can see this when they score a goal, and the players are pumped and excited, and last year they were not. If they keep playing with passion and intensity, they will win a lot of games, and they have been in all their games until the end.

On the players The biggest change I see is in Mark Scheifele, as he's playing with passion and excitement like he wants to win and lead this team, and his production is showing this. Also the addition of Iaffalo will be big for this team, as the guy puts in a AAA effort every game, and now has 4 points in 5 games. ( good deal) Add in Vilardi when he returns, and that LA trade will look very good. Also with a little time this Kupari could be really good, as he's fast and a great stickhandler, but needs to work on his finishing , but I think it will come. He was a great free pickup from the LA trade that could easily develop into a top 6 guy. We have a lot of depth now, that is very important, and will win us games.

Players I'd like to see improve and I think they will, are Ehlers, Perfetti, and Nino, as they have to start to score, and I have no doubt they will, and when they do, we'll be awfully tough to beat. We tied the Stanley Cup champs in the 3rd period, and could have won that Vegas game.

Our weakness is on defence, I think Stanley has slow foot speed, and should be traded, or sent to the Moose, as this won't improve that much. Also Schmidt is not a $ 6 million dollar defenseman, and more like $ 3 mil, but we can live with that. ( not bad). Where we could improve is by adding Cappo on defense, and also giving Chisholm a shot, and see what he can do. I really like Cappo, and he has big upside for our back end scoring, as he has a great shot.

Goaltending - Helle is starting to heat up, and will get better, and Brossoit is an excellent backup.

In conclusion right now, I think we're heading in the right direction, and Bowness has the players on board, and they all want to win, and when you play with this kind of desire, it will produce positive results. I like what I see so far, so we need a couple more wins right now to boost the confidence, and we'll do just great.
A very good post.
I think a lot of us feel the same way about this year’s club

Reactions: GNP

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Of course he wants to win. But he wants to win by greatly limiting risk. He's ultra conservative and your point about the time out goes with what I'm saying. He only trusts the Scheifele line to win him the game. That's why he called the time out with limited time left. He wanted his two top guys out there. They are also the line that plays on average almost 5 minutes more a game then the other lines. He's riding them into the ground again and not utilizing his bench well.

This is exactly what he did in Dallas as well. He trusted one line to score and the other three he just wanted to not give up much. Look at his deployment. On 4 on 4 when he can't get Mark and Conner out he puts out Lowry. He's not putting Lowry out because he's the best option to score a goal with the increased room on the ice, he's putting him out because he's the best bet to keep things even until Mark can go out. You saw the exact same in OT. He put Lowry out constantly when Mark wasn't out. You can't tell me Lowry is the best bet to score a goal in 3 on 3.

It's risk adverse conservative coaching. Where you coach not to lose in most game states and to win in only a few.
You are absolutely correct.

The interesting thing is how much he "trusts" Connor when he might be the worst defensive forward on the team. Last night he gave away the puck multiple times, was lazy on backchecks and soft on the boards. He would be the last guy I had on the ice in my own end up a goal or tied.
This all derives as a result of Bones philosophy of reducing from 4 lines to 3 lines in the last 5 to 7 minutes of the 3rd period - presumably to further limit scoring-chances against. ( I hate this philosophy myself). Kupari and Gustafsson were casualties of his thinking last night, as apparently was Perfetti. Taking a player off the 2nd line would seem to be quite illogical, showing a decided lack of confidence on the coach`s part. Since Perfetti was essentially replaced by Barron, we might be wise to watch for a possible injury report. I think that Perfetti was shaking his hand in possible discomfort as he left the ice his last shift, but not sure.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This all derives as a result of Bones philosophy of reducing from 4 lines to 3 lines in the last 5 to 7 minutes of the 3rd period - presumably to further limit scoring-chances against. ( I hate this philosophy myself). Kupari and Gustafsson were casualties of his thinking last night, as apparently was Perfetti. Taking a player off the 2nd line would seem to be quite illogical, showing a decided lack of confidence on the coach`s part. Since Perfetti was essentially replaced by Barron, we might be wise to watch for a possible injury report. I think that Perfetti was shaking his hand in possible discomfort as he left the ice his last shift, but not sure.

I mean he did the same with Cole last year late in games. He'd replace him on the line with someone from the bottom 6, mainly Saku Maenalanen. So really no change here. You could be right that he might be nicked up a bit but taking him or Ehlers off later in games for a bigger fourth line guy is consistient with his patterns from last year.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Couple things I’ve notice this season besides small crowds, way less activity on HFBoards Jets, the usage of both Ehlers and Perfetan way down, Slamberg looks off, Helly had been very mediocre u til last night and not a lot of game posting from either SUx2BU or JetFanInFlorida!

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
??? How the hell does a four year old get a job coaching in the first place?

mc-mahon-hey.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He really hasn’t looked dynamic going on a couple seasons now, wondering if needs a change of scenery!?

of course his usage has been puzzling with Mo and now Ol’Bones!
And Lowry and all of the assistants.

Puzzling to us but there's something that is preventing Ehlers from getting ice time. It's not defense because if that was the case Connor would get 10 minutes a night.

Is it a physical thing? Ehlers isn't small and he's not adverse to physicality so it's not that.

I think it comes down to playstyle and production. You can trot out 5v5 points/60 etc. but the guy is just not that consistent.

I really wish we'd get an honest answer from the org about it. I'm wondering if his minutes go up (along with Perfetti) if that line starts driving offense more consistently?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
limit scoring chances with playing KC and Scheifele? that would be one of the least conservative/risk adverse things to do. it was a tie game. do you expect those 2 to score or Kupari, or Gustafsson who hasn't scored in 4 years? if he really wanted to limit scoring chances against, scheifele & connor wouldn't be seeing the ice.

i do think the 2nd line should have been playing a bit for sure though w/ way they were playing.

Also AavcoCup on twitter pointed out the Perfetti was seen shaking his left hand too.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Puzzling to us but there's something that is preventing Ehlers from getting ice time. It's not defense because if that was the case Connor would get 10 minutes a night.

Is it a physical thing? Ehlers isn't small and he's not adverse to physicality so it's not that.

I think it comes down to playstyle and production. You can trot out 5v5 points/60 etc. but the guy is just not that consistent.

I really wish we'd get an honest answer from the org about it. I'm wondering if his minutes go up (along with Perfetti) if that line starts driving offense more consistently?

Ehlers is currently 5th on the Jets in 5v5 minutes per game and is part of a group of 4 that are all within 30 seconds of each other. It seems like people want the ice time to be more balanced, but want a few exceptions for their favorites..

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think it's 100% a playstyle thing. He doesn't play like the other skilled forwards on the team. He's much more do it yourself adhoc/chaos while everyone else plays a more north south and more predictable brand of offense.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers is currently 5th on the Jets in 5v5 minutes per game and is part of a group of 4 that are all within 30 seconds of each other. It seems like people want the ice time to be more balanced, but want a few exceptions for their favorites..

More balanced to me means the top line isn't getting 4 more 5 on 5 minutes per game then lines 2 and 3.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just wondering... when down or tied in games which nhl coaches are rolling their 4th line or weaker scoring lines frequently in the 3rd or late in games?

i looked at a few closer games over the weekend ie: PIT, DAL, LAKs and CAR's looks like a line from each didn't or barely played toward the end of the game

kupari, gus... look i like kupari so far, but those guys aren't probably not scoring. top-6/9 are.
yup. this whole conversation stems from perfetti not playing toward the end. he might have been hurt as some have pointed out.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

If you watch Ehlers, his zone entries are great, but I don't always see a lot from his next move. He carries the puck into the zone, then he kind of skates around, keeping possession which is pretty impressive, but kind of looks to create his own thing, whereas his linemates are following their system and what they're supposed to do. Part of the issue is Ehlers having coaches that limit the creativity he's good at, part of it is his linemates sometimes not being the most imaginative. But a big part of it is that he plays his own way and he's prone to losing possession because he's looking to create something instead of taking the "safer" route.

limit scoring chances with playing KC and Scheifele? that would be one of the least conservative/risk adverse things to do. it was a tie game. do you expect those 2 to score or Kupari, or Gustafsson who hasn't scored in 4 years? if he really wanted to limit scoring chances against, scheifele & connor wouldn't be seeing the ice.

i do think the 2nd line should have been playing a bit for sure though w/ way they were playing.

Also AavcoCup on twitter pointed out the Perfetti was seen shaking his left hand too.

Friedman also mentioned after the game that he noticed Perfetti didn't play much in the 3rd and into OT and thought there might be some kind of injury. If he was shaking his wrist a bit, maybe it's that.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
More balanced to me means the top line isn't getting 4 more 5 on 5 minutes per game then lines 2 and 3.

The players on the top line have scored 10 of the 14 goals scored so far this season by forwards, so what are you trying to accomplish? If you’re coming from behind, why not play the players who are producing?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The players on the top line have scored 10 of the 14 goals scored so far this season by forwards, so what are you trying to accomplish? If you’re coming from behind, why not play the players who are producing?
Superficially this makes sense, however they have been on the ice for the most goals against as well, so that offsets some of that and the Second line was playing less minutes in the first and second when they were trailing and they should have played more.

If you are trailing obviously 1st line should play lots, but so should the second line.

If you are tied they should be playing three lines at least.

Here's the thing, if the team is leading late in the third, Connor shouldn't see ice but he is always out there.

Reactions: Jet and surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If you watch Ehlers, his zone entries are great, but I don't always see a lot from his next move. He carries the puck into the zone, then he kind of skates around, keeping possession which is pretty impressive, but kind of looks to create his own thing, whereas his linemates are following their system and what they're supposed to do. Part of the issue is Ehlers having coaches that limit the creativity he's good at, part of it is his linemates sometimes not being the most imaginative. But a big part of it is that he plays his own way and he's prone to losing possession because he's looking to create something instead of taking the "safer" route.

Friedman also mentioned after the game that he noticed Perfetti didn't play much in the 3rd and into OT and thought there might be some kind of injury. If he was shaking his wrist a bit, maybe it's that.
so seems like perfetti might have been hurt. they rolled 3 lines in a tie game, and the 4th line with vaunted scorers like gus and kupari didn't get to play.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Long day of landscaping Saturday so I crashed sometime during the second period, glad to see a nice OT win!

Did Ehelrs dress?
Scanning quickly in catch-up mode, I first read this as "long day of manscaping" and wondered if that included his moustache before I burst out laughing.

A few angry looks from nearby carrels but it was worth it...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

So much for the Bowness plays 4th line guys late conspiracy...

I did like the barron-names-ehlers line... I'd just like it better with Nino though

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

It also seems to me that Ehlers is usually the first guy to rush back to the bench (compare to Scheif who stays out there for hours) - not sure if he's getting tired or what

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad