Post-Game Talk: Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chiarot was excellent, not ok
Niku was better but 2nd pair? He's still not strong enough on the puck for me. I've really liked his progress but I think he still has some growing to do and adjusting to the NHL.

When Kuli, Buff, Morrow and JMo are back Niku's going back down without a doubt.

Its funny how the answer to our defensive woes was to dress 3 AHL'ers :)

Seriously though, the one thing people aren't talking about too much is the biggest problem we've had defensively this year so far has been our forwards. Way too many turnovers just inside our blueline or in bad spots in the neutral zone.

I thought the forwards helped a LOT more tonight (knowing who we had dressed)
. Helle looked much better and more calm, but we also limited the high risk scoring chances better as well.
This is a real good observation Jet and agree fully. Last night's game was the most like last season's Jets team. Coincidentally or not it was also Helly's best game.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
This is what I see as well.

I'm guessing the Jets track actual possession and don't just rely on the proxy for possession. E-S-W when playing together are a much more shoot 1st, while C-S-W spend a lot more time cycling looking for the wide open shot. Both can be effective and interchanging those wingers and giving vastly different looks in game to the opposing team is actually pretty shrewd by Maurice. It also says a lot about the talent of Scheifele and Wheeler to shift so seamlessly to different styles of play.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice win

Nice road trip

Nice goaltending from Helly

Nice D from our fill ins

Nice that Lemieux behaved himself

Nice that Mo outcoached the reigning Stanley Cup Winning coach

Nice that Ehlers got the EN goal instead of Wheeler, Ehlers with a very good game and deserved the goal

Nice

Sip you can’t let your wife hack your account and post stuff like this. You have a reputation to uphold. :sarcasm:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm guessing the Jets track actual possession and don't just rely on the proxy for possession. E-S-W when playing together are a much more shoot 1st, while C-S-W spend a lot more time cycling looking for the wide open shot. Both can be effective and interchanging those wingers and giving vastly different looks in game to the opposing team is actually pretty shrewd by Maurice. It also says a lot about the talent of Scheifele and Wheeler to shift so seamlessly to different styles of play.
Yeah I agree. Corsi isn't really possession. Lowry and co can spend two minutes in the o zone without a shot. It doesn't take many shots against to crash that 0 Corsi. But if the opponent went from 0.5SAT/60s to 0.25SAT/60s then there's a significance in possession.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea I agree I think the Jets track zone time and prioritize it. I think I has it’s place especially when you can pin a top line in their D zone.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Nice win

Nice road trip

Nice goaltending from Helly

Nice D from our fill ins

Nice that Lemieux behaved himself

Nice that Mo outcoached the reigning Stanley Cup Winning coach

Nice that Ehlers got the EN goal instead of Wheeler, Ehlers with a very good game and deserved the goal

Nice

Who are you and what did you do to Sip?!?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Holy f***
This defence injury issue is reminding me two/three years ago when every starter but Buff was hurt or “hurt” as they say.

Just crazy

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chiarot was excellent, not ok
Niku was better but 2nd pair? He's still not strong enough on the puck for me. I've really liked his progress but I think he still has some growing to do and adjusting to the NHL.

When Kuli, Buff, Morrow and JMo are back Niku's going back down without a doubt.

Its funny how the answer to our defensive woes was to dress 3 AHL'ers :)

Seriously though, the one thing people aren't talking about too much is the biggest problem we've had defensively this year so far has been our forwards. Way too many turnovers just inside our blueline or in bad spots in the neutral zone.

I thought the forwards helped a LOT more tonight (knowing who we had dressed). Helle looked much better and more calm, but we also limited the high risk scoring chances better as well.

Good point about the forwards. I noticed that they were tighter in our end and didn't fly the zone as quickly. Hopefully they continue to play that way when Morrissey and Buff get back.

As for Niku, I agree that there is still a lot of growing left and he is probably best served on the third pairing. It's just that Buff tends to be better propping people up then Myers is.

Reactions: Jet

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
LOL, hardly a bad team. I don’t like their style, but they played the Jets really well up until our first goal.

Compare that team to the Rangers.
All three of the Rangers, Devils and Islanders are bad teams. Sure, the Islanders are the best of the three but come on, that roster is terrible.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
LOL, hardly a bad team. I don’t like their style, but they played the Jets really well up until our first goal.

Compare that team to the Rangers.

Yup. Islanders were really good defending on that game. Look at those Jets powerplays for example.

Jets were "lucky" to win, if anything, and it didn't come easy. Would have gone also for Islanders.

Reactions: Ippenator

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Good point about the forwards. I noticed that they were tighter in our end and didn't fly the zone as quickly. Hopefully they continue to play that way when Morrissey and Buff get back.

This team can score almost at will - they should play a tighter game and wait for mistakes/opportunities. Supporting down low would definitely help our GAA. This is that "wolf pack" mentality they had last year - I'd be happy to see a return to this, with less flying the zone / playing up high as Scheif and Wheels have been doing up to this point.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
All three of the Rangers, Devils and Islanders are bad teams. Sure, the Islanders are the best of the three but come on, that roster is terrible.

Don't know about the roster, but it's a team game and they are among the better half of NHL teams right now, though just barely. That loss was also only their fourth at home.

Reactions: Jets 31

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

I'd agree they're all in the bottom third of the league. I think the Devils are probably the best of the 3, current struggles aside.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

By swapping Ehlers and Connor, the only thing Maurice is giving the other team is more scoring chances.

Scoring chances for%

CSW 45.45
ESW 55.98

High danger corsi for%

CSW 40.48
ESW 52.44

Reactions: Board Bard

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I don't know how Trotz does it. That roster is awful, but they play full out all the time.

They might be "overachieving" but they also have a bunch of quality players in Barzal, Lee and Eberle. Also Filppula and Komarov seems to have bounce back seasons, and probably also one reason why Islanders is playing better you would expect.

How about Ladd ;) (injured, I guess)

I actually love it that with good teamplay and coaching a team with worse players might be the better team than another team with better players. On the other hand that's also kind of sad because without that, Jets might have won Stanley Cup last season.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yea our forwards have been the weakest link defensively this season IMO.

One thing you didn’t mention was Myers? When Buff went down I mentioned the upside might be that Tyler will get played allot more. So Myers at 17 minutes a night this season = not good........Myers at 30 minutes = not bad at all? Sometimes guys just need to eat big minutes so they can stop thinking and just play.

Same goes for Helle I think having the clean sheet in the second and third vs the Rags and winning in the shoot out was a turning point mentally for him. We really needed that game out of him last night.

Nailed it. The dynamic of usage is significant and has palpable implications for player performance.

Reactions: ps241

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Man Myers playing decently seems to make a massive difference for us.

Nogier and Schilling didn't look out of place either btw.
It's almost like it is better to be decent than shit.

New York conquered. Me happy.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Solid road trip and Helley looked like Helley of last season. Despite our D being depleted we still played a solid game. It really helps that the players coming up from the Moose play a similar system as the big club. Keep it up boys, go Jets go!

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I checked my PVR recording of the game and it looks like the official scorer missed awarding Wheeler an assist on the empty net goal (He passed it to Ehlers). Did anyone else notice this?

This is true, they missed an assist! How is that possible? Can the NHL go back and revise, or are the game stats locked-in now?

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
They might be "overachieving" but they also have a bunch of quality players in Barzal, Lee and Eberle. Also Filppula and Komarov seems to have bounce back seasons, and probably also one reason why Islanders is playing better you would expect.

How about Ladd ;) (injured, I guess)

I actually love it that with good teamplay and coaching a team with worse players might be the better team than another team with better players. On the other hand that's also kind of sad because without that, Jets might have won Stanley Cup last season.

Isles fan here, coming in peace. Very impressed with the way your team handled themselves while missing so many players. On top of that, you should have been a tired team. The first two periods, the Isles were playing some of the best defensive hockey I've seen from them all year. We had our chances and your goalie was up to the task.

To answer your question about Ladd, he is on IR indefinitely. They haven't disclosed the actual injury, but a broken bone in his leg or a torn ligament wouldn't surprise me with the way he exited the ice.

Trotz has been a God send. He has taken a mediocre (not terrible) roster and turned it into a good group of competitors. What we are missing is another finisher, an elite defenseman (though some of our young guys are developing), and a top tier goalie.

Good luck the rest of the way. The Jets are the team I would like to represent the Western Conference in the Stanley Cup finals. Love the way your team plays the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad