Post-Game Talk: Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Agree Myers was on his game tonight when the Jets really need him to be but as a Myers fan for a couple of years now he is not worth what the Jets are currently paying him. If tonight's game is the beginning of better thing with him great but we should of seen this long ago. Myers play this season is not worth the money the Jets are paying him.

Correction - he's not worth the cap space 5.5 million.
I would say he's close to worth the actual 3 million we are paying him this season.
When he plays like he did in the playoffs or these last couple of games.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Right now the Jets play the Avs in playoff scenario. Very likely outcome imo, with Nashville taking the division. I like that matchup.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

WHAT ?? -This can't be a Sip post ?? unless--possible, he was heavily into the Sailor Jerrys :) -it's just to "nice"a post, to believe that Sip made this post. :huh:

He's been hacked.
Like when people leave their Facebook pages open and then come back to see some post declaring how awesome their partner is etc...
Don't worry a "Do nothing Ehlers" post from Sip will be coming shortly ;)

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Right now the Jets play the Avs in playoff scenario. Very likely outcome imo, with Nashville taking the division. I like that matchup.

Careful what we wish for ;)

Although if they can "Ryan Suter" themselves and lose one of their big 3 right before the start of the series that would be welcome. Even with that I think it would be a hard long series (just like the fight they put up against the Preds last year).

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
To add on to or expand on some other thoughts.
When a team does what NYI did then we just need to change up our tactics a bit.
Scheif and Laine can rotate with each other.
Scheif can also change his depth (i.e. close in on the goalie or fade out a bit further).
I believe this with some Laine drifting into space can re-open the passing lanes when teams try to build a "wall".
If Wheeler is going to take the shot because they are just daring him then he should use that free space to improve his angle (while still threatening to pass). Wheeler's shots have 3 likely outcomes
1) Muffin shot gloved and frozen
2) The "Evander" High and Wide that clears the zone
3) the VERY rare goal

The main issue with our PP when it isn't working is well is our bad zone entries.
Makes you wonder how we get Ehlers on the first PP for that purpose.
It gets a bit too static at times and would benefit from more movement I agree. The coaches will figure it eventually.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
To add on to or expand on some other thoughts.
When a team does what NYI did then we just need to change up our tactics a bit.
Scheif and Laine can rotate with each other.
Scheif can also change his depth (i.e. close in on the goalie or fade out a bit further).
I believe this with some Laine drifting into space can re-open the passing lanes when teams try to build a "wall".
If Wheeler is going to take the shot because they are just daring him then he should use that free space to improve his angle (while still threatening to pass). Wheeler's shots have 3 likely outcomes
1) Muffin shot gloved and frozen
2) The "Evander" High and Wide that clears the zone
3) the VERY rare goal

The main issue with our PP when it isn't working is well is our bad zone entries.
Makes you wonder how we get Ehlers on the first PP for that purpose.

This + last year combined 1 out of 20 Wheeler PP shots go in.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
MIA Wheelers shot! Actually thought Wheeler had a pretty good shot a few seasons back, don't know what happened to it.

I know what happened.

Remember how often over the last few years, Wheeler would bust in on the wing, then cut hard across and go E-W across the goalie and force him to commit, then pop it in the empty cage?

Like those goals you score playing on the Playstation.

When's the last time you saw Wheeler round the corner on the wing and go across hard to the net?

I don't think I've seen it once this year.

But that was, at least in my mind, his bread and butter play -- his 'finishing move' in wrestling parlance.

In my mind, I like to think that this is because Blake has settled in as a set-up man.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I know what happened.

Remember how often over the last few years, Wheeler would bust in on the wing, then cut hard across and go E-W across the goalie and force him to commit, then pop it in the empty cage?

Like those goals you score playing on the Playstation.

When's the last time you saw Wheeler round the corner on the wing and go across hard to the net?

I don't think I've seen it once this year.

But that was, at least in my mind, his bread and butter play -- his 'finishing move' in wrestling parlance.

In my mind, I like to think that this is because Blake has settled in as a set-up man.

I have been thinking about this as well, but was under the impression he has lost a fraction of a step and doesn't think he can get around the corner anymore.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
That depends on if you're saying it ironically...I've lost track of our exact record in the New Dano Era (but without looking it up, it's pretty good).

You probably missed the post I quoted that stated, "4-0 in the post byfuglien era".

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I have been thinking about this as well, but was under the impression he has lost a fraction of a step and doesn't think he can get around the corner anymore.

Your explanation is certainly very feasible, and frankly, I'd rather he keep doing his current role -- which he's doing expertly -- than try and reclaim the past's glory.

Reactions: Evil Little

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

It also seems like he isn't "running the route".
He's not winding up and then flying down that wing looking for a pass as much or at that speed.

Too bad it was a glorious sight when it happened.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yea our forwards have been the weakest link defensively this season IMO.

One thing you didn’t mention was Myers? When Buff went down I mentioned the upside might be that Tyler will get played allot more. So Myers at 17 minutes a night this season = not good........Myers at 30 minutes = not bad at all? Sometimes guys just need to eat big minutes so they can stop thinking and just play.

Same goes for Helle I think having the clean sheet in the second and third vs the Rags and winning in the shoot out was a turning point mentally for him. We really needed that game out of him last night.
Yeah, absolutely one of Tyler's best games. It seems to me that when he's really counted on or when the chips are down, he brings it.

Just the kind of guy you need in the playoffs :)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yeah, absolutely one of Tyler's best games. It seems to me that when he's really counted on or when the chips are down, he brings it.

Just the kind of guy you need in the playoffs :)

Some might say that Myers has been the one actively "dropping the chips" in too many games this season. ;)

Reactions: Duke749

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This three game win streak made me really confident and comfortable. If Helle can keep up the good play and if we can keep up with the good team defense seen in the last game, we have arrived for the season.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
It also seems like he isn't "running the route".
He's not winding up and then flying down that wing looking for a pass as much or at that speed.

Too bad it was a glorious sight when it happened.
Nah. That was also Kane's signature move and look where it got him. Much rather the setup man we currently have in Wheeler than a goal-scorer. It does amaze me though that when they are trying to take away Scheif & Laine on the PP, they haven't scored a lot more by letting Wheeler drift in so close that he can pick the top corners on nearly any tender, or simply setting Connor up for an easy tip-in at the side of the net.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for reminding me!

Ooh ooh and if we win the next one we’ll be second in central one point after the Preds!

I'm somewhat confident at this point saying that Nashville, Colorado, and Winnipeg have started to separate themselves from the pack. I look to those teams when I sweat the out-of-town scoreboard.

Reactions: Tommigun

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I'm somewhat confident at this point saying that Nashville, Colorado, and Winnipeg have started to separate themselves from the pack. I look to those teams when I sweat the out-of-town scoreboard.

True, but I wouldn’t count out Dallas yet.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some might say that Myers has been the one actively "dropping the chips" in too many games this season. ;)

That can be independent of my point. I think that the best we've seen Myers play in a Jets uniform seems to be when we need him most. I thought he was very strong in the playoffs last year. He seems to step up when we need it

Reactions: AlphaLackey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad