Post-Game Talk: Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Good post, somewhat what I thought too.

If the opponent really focuses on preventing passes to Scheif and Laine the Jets should have that other option of playing PP, which means moving guys and the puck around to create those seams. Even Laine could move behind the goal with the puck looking for a shot or pass all the time, Scheif then comes to his side to create a threat and Connor moves in front to take Shceif's place. That way the opponent would have a really hard time to pick their poison as Laine can also make really good passes. Or they could make something similar without the puck and Wheeler and whoever D move the puck to distract the opponent.

The way the Jets play the PP is quite slow and predictable (every time there's a pass the play is stopped and the PK has the time to adjust) wouldn't be very effective without a threat like Laine. I always watch in awe some teams playing the PP by moving guys and puck around fast. That also works against very active PK teams as they can't start running around too much without leaving the center open. The Jets DO have Laine so I can understand why they do play like they do, but I just think that they would be unstoppable if they had a backup plan in case the opponent has the plan A figured out.
I don't think people fully appreciates how valuable Buff is to the PP. When he is in he is the back up plan if the lane to Laine and Scheifele gets clogged. He can shoot, with Connor and Scheifele moving in for rebounds or he is the one that starts moving around with the puck while others look for free ice.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't want to get into the whole 'clutchness' argument but I do believe that some guys are just more clutch.

I do wish Tyler could reduce his 'dopey days'. People would love him around here if he could do that

Yeah, I mean, even if it's not "real" but Tyler merely BELIEVES he's a clutch player, that has value right there. Like when I play poker, if I win a couple pots in a row, *I* don't think I'm suddenly "luckier" or on fire, but the *other* players might think that, and that has legit tactical value.

He's had some great games for us and whatever it takes for him to have more of, I'm certainly a fan of :)

Reactions: Jet

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Successful Escape from New York.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad