Jets vs. Ducks: "Closest" Sweep of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Whatever, his additional comments came off to me as being a sore winner. As for the OP no I don't think it was the closest sweep ever and I can concede that the Ducks carried the balance of the play for the majority of the games. However the Jets carried the lead for the majority of the series but were never able to get that one extra goal to get that 2 goal cushion. The Ducks were the better team and were full value for their win but at the risk of being called a sore loser, I will say that the Jets had significant injuries that may not have changed the outcome of the series but maybe a couple of the games.

Okay now will come all the 'don't use injuries as an excuse' or 'all teams have injuries' retorts. But I don't care not using it as an excuse but a reason why some of the Jets players were not at their best.

Anyway, over this now and moving on. Ducks fans should focus on the Calgary Flames now anyway, no need to be distracted by Jets fans anymore. However if the Flames manage to upset the Ducks can't guarantee I won't come back and rub the salt into some of the Ducks fans that were rubbing it in when this first series was over.

I'm pretty sure the teams were tied for the majority of the series.

And no, injuries are certainly not an excuse. Anaheim is dealing with their own injuries too.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

And no, injuries are certainly not an excuse. Anaheim is dealing with their own injuries too.

I meant in comparison to the Ducks. Up to and including game 3 the Jets had the lead for 65:53 and the Ducks 11:21, haven't factored in game 4 because i didn't have those numbers) so this would have changed slightly.

Of course Anaheim was dealing with their own injuries but i don't believe they were as significant as what the Jets injuries were to as many key players. Look I already said injuries wouldn't have changed the outcome of the series in total but maybe in one or two of these close games it might have.

I'm done here officially. Not sure why it is so hard for some of you to be conciliatory about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Kids these days. Everything is "of all time."

Sure, when your context is a single decade. Maybe.

Yeah. That's why I asked in my original post if there were any other hard-fought, relatively even sweeps that I may not have been around for.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Just thank God you didn't have our injuries. :laugh: It was bad for us, and the Ducks players knew it. :help: JERKS! :rant: :sarcasm:

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
I grew up in Winnipeg and cheered on the first incarnation of the Jets. I would have loved to have seen them win some games this postseason.

But I agree with many who are essentially saying: enough with this pathetic attempt to make the Jets and their fans something they are not, i.e., somehow significantly different and/or superior to other teams and fans.

THEY PUKED UP THREE THIRD PERIOD LEADS AND BLEW ANOTHER LEAD IN THE FINAL GAME (yes, only a one-goal lead, but still)...

GOOD TEAMS DON'T DO THAT. IT WASN'T CLOSE. CURRENTLY THE JETS ARE EXTREMELY MEDIOCRE AT BEST.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if they missed the playoffs next year.

Enough of this tiresome nonsense...

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Yes surely if the Jets were healthy the sweep would've been reversed.

Or as I said that a couple of those games might've gone the other way. But who knows. And by the way why don't you just drop the Jet from your username, it's kind of a farce you using that with your above post.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No matter what your opinion is, don't make it unnecessarily large. It's just obnoxious.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
Considering that the series set a record for a team sweeping a series despite trailing on the scoreboard for longer than being ahead... it's not even debatable. This was the closest series of all time.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Who even cares.
It was a **** series of garbage hockey.

Neither team should be proud of those awful games. :thumbd:

Is this really what it's come to?

For someone who has so consistently attacked the Anaheim fanbase in these playoffs, you're really not setting the best example of a good sport.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Who even cares.
It was a **** series of garbage hockey.

Neither team should be proud of those awful games. :thumbd:

Hard-hitting back-and-forth games are now considered garbage hockey? I can't believe your posts are still so sour, it was a good series and every game was hard-fought.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Hawks Canucks in 95 was closet sweep I remember (or read about). 3 of the 4 games went to OT and 1 game was a 2-0 win for the Hawks. Don't remember if 1 of the 2 goals was an empty netter or not. But, hands down, that might be the closest sweep ever.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I seriously doubt it was one of the closest sweeps ever. It didn't look close to me, although hearing about the seriousness of Byfuglien, Enstron, Ladd, Little, Pardy, Trouba, and Perreault's injuries, perhaps a healthier line up may have made a difference.. maybe one game of the sweep would have been after two seconds of the first overtime.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Well I'll tell ya one thing, this upcoming sweep of the Calgary Flames will have no one even remotely suggesting it was a close sweep. That is what utter domination looks like, not like the first series.

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
Hawks Canucks in 95 was closet sweep I remember (or read about). 3 of the 4 games went to OT and 1 game was a 2-0 win for the Hawks. Don't remember if 1 of the 2 goals was an empty netter or not. But, hands down, that might be the closest sweep ever.

I was thinking the series against Colorado in 2001 when we didn't have Naslund in the lineup was pretty close, but that's an even better answer. Joe Murphy in OT in Game 1 (We were up 1-0, it ended 2-1 for them.), Chelios in Game 3 (Linden scored a disallowed goal with his hand in the 3rd period of that one.).

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Sharks getting swept by Chicago in the wcf was a lot closer than most remember. Two 1 goal games, two 2 goal games with one of those coming from an empty netter.

Came here to say this - actually just mentioned this series in another thread. Definitely wasn't a typical sweep by any means.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought they were pretty hard fought games. Etem probably doesn't beat Trouba for that goal if Trouba's hand isn't broken forcing him to hold the stick with both hands. Lot of little things that could have changed the outcome of the series being 4-0. I'm sure the Ducks have injuries too, they just had more time to rest up their players down the stretch. Getzlaf in particular only really had one decent game and seemingly vanished from the ice after.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Everything I said was the truth & strong opinions based on facts.

The internet is a rough place & most people quite honestly need a thicker skin.

Oh that is just hilarious coming from you.

The guy who would get offended by anything and everything Ducks fans would say in that series...is telling us to have thicker skin.

The irony is delicious.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The only Ducks fans that I was not nice to were the arrogant ones who ran their mouths way too much.

There are some good fans in Anaheim but the bad ones on here I gave back exactly what they gave to the Jets fans.

I never once said that the Ducks were not a good team or that Perry & Getzlaf were not good players.
Just because players are good does not mean they are classy on & off the ice.

Now you know. :)

Is this really what it's come to?

For someone who has so consistently attacked the Anaheim fanbase in these playoffs, you're really not setting the best example of a good sport.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The only Ducks fans that I was not nice to were the arrogant ones who ran their mouths way too much.

There are some good fans in Anaheim but the bad ones on here I gave back exactly what they gave to the Jets fans.

I never once said that the Ducks were not a good team or that Perry & Getzlaf were not good players.
Just because players are good does not mean they are classy on & off the ice.

Now you know. :)

You keep telling yourself that. I don't think you'll convince others, though. Don't call out others for poor sportsmanship after being a prime example of exactly that. That's just hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad