Jets vs. Ducks: "Closest" Sweep of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The Jets-Ducks series was one of the most entertaining series to watch in the first round, and yet it ended in a sweep. The Ducks overcame third period deficits in each of the first three games, and every game was very tight from start to finish. Was this the 'closest' sweep of all time? If not, which sweeps in the past have been closer?

Last edited:

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
The Jets-Ducks series was one of the most entertaining series to watch in the first round, and yet it ended in a sweep. The Ducks overcame third period deficits in each of the first three games, and the fourth game was the only one that was decided by more than one goal. Was this the 'closest' sweep of all time? If not, which sweeps in the past have been closer?

Detroit vs Anaheim 1997.

Detroit Sweep, 3 games went to OT, 1 Double, 1 Triple.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The Jets-Ducks series was one of the most entertaining series to watch in the first round, and yet it ended in a sweep. The Ducks overcame third period deficits in each of the first three games, and the fourth game was the only one that was decided by more than one goal. Was this the 'closest' sweep of all time? If not, which sweeps in the past have been closer?

What?

The 1st game of the series was decided 4-2.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Vancouver deserved a better fate than being swept in the first round in 2001. Three narrow losses in which they held the lead and the fourth game looks lopsided but was a tight 1-0 game until midway through the 3rd, when Colorado scored three goals in less than a minute.

Detroit vs Anaheim 1997.

Detroit Sweep, 3 games went to OT, 1 Double, 1 Triple.

That was the Mikhail Shtalenkov series, wasn't it? That was great goaltending keeping Anaheim in it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Depends how you define close, in this context.

As mentioned, Game 4 wasn't the only game decided by more than one goal, and outside of Game 3 the Ducks definitely carried the play.

1997 Anaheim/Detroit was definitely closer, if you're looking at possible bounces.

I'd say this was a pretty convincing sweep. It wasn't a dominating performance, but I think it was clear Anaheim was the better team on the ice.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
As far as sweeps go, none closer come to mind for me. Closest I recall is the SJ-Van series of 2013, featuring two overtime games and two games that were tied/within a goal in the third. But Jets actually had the third period lead three times. That's unbelievably close to winning the series right there.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No.

The Ducks were clearly superior every game.

Even when they were down on the scoreboard, they never looked like they weren't in complete control of the game.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Series should have prob gone 5 games but that's about it... Ducks were better but jets had very little luck or they would have squeaked out a win.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
No.

The Ducks were clearly superior every game.

Even when they were down on the scoreboard, they never looked like they weren't in complete control of the game.

If you only watched the second half of the games, sure. The Jets definitely had stretches where they were controlling play and the Ducks were just hanging on for life. Andersen came up huge a few times (especially game 3 - could have been a 3 or 4 goal lead before Anaheim turned it on) and the Jets hit several more posts than the Ducks did that kept the Ducks close enough to make their comebacks.

Don't get me wrong, the Ducks were far more dominant in the third periods and typically the second half of the second as well, but to say "they never looked like they weren't in complete control of the game" is completely wrong. That post reeks of the same Ducks fan insecurity as the "why does no one respect us?" thread.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sharks getting swept by Chicago in the wcf was a lot closer than most remember. Two 1 goal games, two 2 goal games with one of those coming from an empty netter.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If you only watched the second half of the games, sure. The Jets definitely had stretches where they were controlling play and the Ducks were just hanging on for life. Andersen came up huge a few times (especially game 3 - could have been a 3 or 4 goal lead before Anaheim turned it on) and the Jets hit several more posts than the Ducks did that kept the Ducks close enough to make their comebacks.

Don't get me wrong, the Ducks were far more dominant in the third periods and typically the second half of the second as well, but to say "they never looked like they weren't in complete control of the game" is completely wrong. That post reeks of the same Ducks fan insecurity as the "why does no one respect us?" thread.

I'm a Blackhawks fan.

And I will cop that I didn't watch every game. I watched the entirety of the games I did watch, which was game 3 and 4), and I never felt as though Anaheim was in danger of losing, or weren't a threat to come back.

Sorry.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Sharks getting swept by Chicago in the wcf was a lot closer than most remember. Two 1 goal games, two 2 goal games with one of those coming from an empty netter.

Was gonna add this one. 2010 WCF. All four games were nail biters, with at least one OT.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Sports that move constantly are always going to be a game of runs. One team dominates for a period of time, the other adjusts then dominates for a while. Ebb and flow.

Minimizing mistakes, taking advantages of opportunities, staying calm under pressure. This is how teams win in the playoffs. Here: one team did it well, the other did not.

Hard fought games, absolutely. But that's that what the playoffs are, a battle every game. Always have been, always will be. And every player knows this. To say that your team fought hard doesn't mean much without a result.

The Ducks were better in a sweep as a result. Those are the facts.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
2009 canucks vs blues was really close.

Game 1. 2-1 canucks
Game 2 3-0 canucks
Game 3 3-2 canucks
Game 4 3-2 Canucks in overtime

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thought the Ducks sweep in 03' of the Wings was a heck of a lot closer than the Wings sweep in 97'. Keep in mind the Wings were the better team in virtually all of those games, so the team pulling out the sweep while being dominated in puck possession was a little more close in my opinion. The Ducks wound up getting the deserved result by in large in those games in 97'. They were massive underdogs in each, played great but eventually broke in 97 in each of the long games. But they were giving up scoring chances left and right.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I thought Montreal/Tampa in 04 was very close, the Habs outchanced the crap out of the Bolts every game and Bulin was absolutely unbeatable.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Most sweeps aren't like the 2007 Atlanta Thrashers. Most sweeps are 3-4 really close games (as with most playoff games).

Canucks swept the Blues in 09 and anyone who watched that series will say it was way closer than a sweep

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
This Winnipeg love-fest is getting tiresome...the Zombie-Thrashers got swept. Their fans gave them a standing O. See you next season.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Not really, the series wasn't all that close. Anaheim dominated 3 out of the 4 games and the third wasn't exactly a dominating performance from Winnipeg either. Could have gone 5 had Winnipeg gotten a bounce but not a "close sweep" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad