Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Marko Dano again (1y, 750K)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Looks like Armia's replacement on RW, but they save over $1M.
I loved Armia, but this is the sort of saving that might allow them to sign Morrissey long-term instead of bridging him.
He'd better come to camp in good shape.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Unlikely they both play with a fully healthy forward group. With both signed I think it is likely 1 more forward will be signed to bring the number to 14. If they sign Vaselainen h'd have just as good of chance of taking the 3rd line RW spot.

I'd agree. They are both fighting for the same position. I could see them platooning at RW4.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Connor-Roslovic-(Petan/Dano)

That's right five players on their off wing!:thumbu:

or to keep the Finnish fans happy

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Connor-Roslovic-(Petan/Dano)

or going all 2017-2018

Connor-Schiefele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Perreault-Roslovic-(Petan/Dano)

or Maurice doing his standard no minutes for the 4th line, line-up

Connor-Schiefele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Roslovic
Tanev-Copp-(Petan/Dano)

But any way you slice it, Petan & Dano seem likely to platoon.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I assume this changed in the last CBA?

13.19 If only one Club makes a claim for the Player on whom Waivers have been requested, such Player shall be transferred to that Club. In the event that more than one Club makes a claim for such Player, he shall: (i) be transferred to the claiming Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the request for Waivers, or (ii) if Waivers are requested outside the Regular Season, or the successful Waiver claim is made (i.e., the date the Player would be transferred to a successful claiming Club per this Section), before November 1st then the priority shall be determined by the final standing in the League's Regular Season schedule in the preceding Regular Season. In the event that two (2) or more claiming Clubs in (i) above have the same percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the Waiver claim, the Player will be transferred to the claiming Club (1) with the lowest winning percentage at the time of the request for Waivers (excluding games won in the Shootout); (2) if there are claiming Clubs that remain tied following (1), then to the Club (of such remaining Clubs) that has earned the fewest number of points in games against each other (to be determined consistent with the procedures used to determine the final League standings, particularly the manner in which "odd games" are eliminated from the analysis); and (3) if there are claiming Clubs that remain tied following (2), then to the Club (of such remaining Clubs) with the lowest differential between goals for and goals against as determined on a per game basis from National Hockey League official statistics used for purposes of determining League standings (i.e., the difference obtained by subtracting the Club's total goals against from the Club's total goals for is divided by the number of games played by the Club). These tie-breaking procedures are subject to change consistent with any change adopted to the League's tie-breaking procedures for determining League standings, however, for purposes of this provision any steps in such updated procedures shall be calculated and/or applied on a per game basis where possible (e.g., winning percentage as opposed to wins and goal differential on a per game basis as opposed to goal differential).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This is not true. The Jets would get no special consideration in terms of waivers for Petan if he reappeared on waivers following his getting claimed by someone else. So until Nov 1 they would be 30th in line, after that they'd be wherever they sit in terms of standings like any other waiver claim.

The only "advantage" the Jets would have in this situation is that if when he reappears on waivers the Jets are the ONLY team to put in a claim (so no one else behind them as well) put in a claim the Jets could then re-assign him to the minors without having to put him on waivers again.
I stand corrected I thought they would be at the top if he got put back on waivers. it still doesn't change the fact that putting him in the press box again for another year is a terrible idea for his development. I pray ves makes team cause dano or petan on our 3rd line is a step backwards considering they will make the roster by default this year like they did 2 years ago. if chevy wants to keep them as the pb guys then ok. hopefully they finally show what people here keep saying they are capable of.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I stand corrected I thought they would be at the top if he got put back on waivers. it still doesn't change the fact that putting him in the press box again for another year is a terrible idea for his development. I pray ves makes team cause dano or petan on our 3rd line is a step backwards considering they will make the roster by default this year like they did 2 years ago. if chevy wants to keep them as the pb guys then ok. hopefully they finally show what people here keep saying they are capable of.
Seems to me Petan has now officially moved past the development part of his career. Once you are past your ELC you are either a everyday player, a depth PB guy or a deep depth farm hand. I'm guessing the Jets will keep Petan around for a year or too yet and he will get a few opportunities on the fringes of the roster.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Waiver order hasn't changed since at least year 2000.

I had thought for some reason that if a team placed a player on waivers and he player was claimed and then place on waivers by the claiming team that the original team had the 1st right of re-claim. I thought this has been the case with Brett MacLean and Ben Maxwell in 2011 but must have been mistaken.

Thanks to everyone for the clarification.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I like Vesalainen a lot, but him sign a contract before even talking about him making the Jets.

Once he does sign, don't talk about it either unless it involves trading a forward, most likely Petan or Dano, as they are waiver eligible & won't clear.

Reactions: Guyantics

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Vesalainen a lot, but him sign a contract before even talking about him making the Jets.

Once he does sign, don't talk about it either unless it involves trading Petan or Dano as they are waiver eligible & won't clear.
Not too worried about Vaselainen signing if that is the plan. Only so much wiggle room with an ELC. You could then go with Petan and Dano as 13 & 14.

Reactions: Guyantics
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Not too worried about Vaselainen signing if that is the plan. Only so much wiggle room with an ELC. You could then go with Petan and Dano as 13 & 14.

Go with Petan & Dano as 13 & 14 leaves you with a 14-7-2 roster

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot/Morrow-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

placing Poolman in the minors. Not the worst thing, but it was a one-way he signed today.

Things get even more dicey if we add Niku to that mix.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot/Morrow-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

placing Poolman in the minors. Not the worst thing, but it was a one-way he signed today.

3 pb players are usually 2f and 1d

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot/Morrow-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

Most teams most of the time run with 14 forwards and 7 defensmen. The Jets have consistently operated this way over the years so I don't think anything changes. I think 3 - 1 way years was the gravy to get Poolman so low on the AAV. He gets his money this season no matter where he plays, and the contract has no impact on the cap when he is with the Moose.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
3 pb players are usually 2f and 1d

Although he has rarely employed it during his time in Winnipeg, Maurice has said he prefers 13-8-2 as it's easier to practice rotating four pairs of defensemen.

Ultimately whether it's 13-8-2 or 14-7-2, waiver eligibility will certainly play a large role in that decision.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
meh, not a fan of Dano. He's one of those guys who moves around a lot but accomplishes very little. He's also prone to taking dumb penalties.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Team has lost Armia, Hendricks, Matthias, and Stastny.

There will be games to play for Dano and Petan.

^^ this

The exodus and churn will have an impact in petan’s ice time and I believe Dano’s too.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
this is not a good thing

Not sure if I agree. Petan, Dano, full year of Roslo and possibly a rookie in Appleton or Vesalainen could bring a lot more dymanic skill to the team compared to Matthias, Hendricks, Armia, and a 1/4 season of Stastny.

I'm not at all worried.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
meh, not a fan of Dano. He's one of those guys who moves around a lot but accomplishes very little. He's also prone to taking dumb penalties.
He draws more penalties I believe.
He gets under the oppositions skin and can score in the tight grimey areas.
I’d prefer Dano to Petan if forced to make a choice.
Dano can score..given the chance.
I don’t have any fancy stats but he seems to score ok whenever we put him in the lineup which isn’t often enough

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Would like a pump and dump strategy with Dano. Play top end first/second line minutes for first half of season and get him 10-15 goals them ship him.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Would like a pump and dump strategy with Dano. Play top end first/second line minutes for first half of season and get him 10-15 goals them ship him.

And how many losses are you prepared to accept as part of this? Any particular top 6 winger you want to piss off by having Dano unjustifiably elevated above him?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
That was one of my buddies strategies in high school...except not with Marko Dano :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I've always liked Dano. Seems like the coach doesn't, though. Now with Armia gone maybe Dano gets a better look. I certainly hope so.

LOL! Dano isn't Armia, not even close. Dano really offers little except a little salary cap hit!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad