Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Marko Dano again (1y, 750K)

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
And how many losses are you prepared to accept as part of this? Any particular top 6 winger you want to piss off by having Dano unjustifiably elevated above him?
Connor had 30 goals playing on first. Willing to bet (vMoney?) that Dano/petan could get close to 30 as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hope Dano can take this opportunity to play himself into a stronger position on another team next year. Always hoped for him but other than a few glimpses his game really has been underwhelming. I thought he played really well when he first came here but that quickly fizzled.

Reactions: GNP

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I hope so but this is an odd statement because we can't predict the future :)

I’m just saying what someone I know involved with the Jets said...

Regardless, my bank account has done okay in my career of predicting aspects of the future.

RelCorsi did not too bad in predicting Byfuglien’s highly positive relative goal differential too. ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm hoping Petan and Dano and Vesalainen and Lemieux come to training camp loaded for bear and maybe even give the Jets the option to trade Perreault. That would free up some much needed cap space for this season and the future.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Regardless, my bank account has done okay in my career of predicting aspects of the future.

RelCorsi did not too bad in predicting Byfuglien’s highly positive relative goal differential too. ;)

A ha! Insider trading. Might still be a risk, but I think I'll rush out and put $10 on Petan making the Jets. Oh, what the Hell, live life on the edge. I'll bet $20. :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm hoping Petan and Dano and Vesalainen and Lemieux come to training camp loaded for bear and maybe even give the Jets the option to trade Perreault. That would free up some much needed cap space for this season and the future.
I see Perreault as our rental for this season. Next summer I see us moving him and Trouba if he doesn't extend. The returns in those trades will make us look vastly different going into the following season.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Oh shit if your bulging bank account says so... :laugh:

I understand you are hinting someone on the Jets is saying that they like Petan, and want to give him more of a chance next year which should make Petan fans happy. All I am saying is that Nic still needs to do something with that opportunity, in order to make anyone 'eat crow'. Even though I have been a harsh critic of Petan I hope he does - this will be his last kick at the cat as other prospects have overtaken him quicker than angry commuters passing a teenaged girl on her phone in the fast lane. Petan fulfilling his potential is good for all Jets fans, and I'd rather be wrong with another good player than right with a lost asset.

As for Byfuglien, I liked his game a lot last year. I know I just have my stinky old eyes to rely on, but I saw him play a far more controlled, team friendly game - which is what I wanted from him to begin with. I know I didn't have any fancy charts to tell me that. :sarcasm:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There's also the most concise thing Chevy has said this offseason in regards to Petan: that he'll be an NHL player - either with the Jets, or another team. This lines up with what Garret said, it leads me to believe they're going to give him more looks, if not an elevated role this year. I believe in earning your way up the lineup, but I also believe that management should put players in a position to succeed.

As for Byfuglien, I liked his game a lot last year. I know I just have my stinky old eyes to rely on, but I saw him play a far more controlled, team friendly game - which is what I wanted from him to begin with. I know I didn't have any fancy charts to tell me that. :sarcasm:

The biggest change in Buff's game has been the team around him. He's taking less risks offensively because the team hadn't been trailing in games all that often this past season. the team scored at will sometimes, and got Vezina worthy goaltending. When you're not worried about scoring the next goal, you focus more on keeping the other team from doing so. That led to Buff's maturation as a defenseman this season.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
A ha! Insider trading. Might still be a risk, but I think I'll rush out and put $10 on Petan making the Jets. Oh, what the Hell, live life on the edge. I'll bet $20. :laugh:

Expand that bet to Petan won't play in the AHL next year. That's covers your ass if he's traded.

His Moose days are done. Anyone suggesting otherwise is a sucker waiting to have his money stolen if he's willing to gamble on this issue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan needs to clear waivers before demotion to the AHL. No way he'd clear waivers, so he'll be on some NHL roster this season, most likely with the Jets.

Reactions: GNP and Ippenator

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Yeah I’d be very happy if that happened. Would relieve some cap pressure, would give a roster spot to a promising player, and we’d get something back as well. We can’t have that much money buried on the third line, there’s so much diminishing returns at play with that line’s ice time.

Reactions: GNP and Ippenator

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Expand that bet to Petan won't play in the AHL next year. That's covers your ass if he's traded.

His Moose days are done. Anyone suggesting otherwise is a sucker waiting to have his money stolen if he's willing to gamble on this issue.
Why is Chevy giving a guy a two way contract if he thinks there is no chance he might get sent down. Furthermore if he thinks he would get claimed for sure why is he not signed to a one way.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Why is Chevy giving a guy a two way contract if he thinks there is no chance he might get sent down. Furthermore if he thinks he would get claimed for sure why is he not signed to a one way.
Trade? Other team hoping he don't get claimed?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I don't know if you know this, but I do know some stuff before it happens. You may not want to always go against me.

I broke the Tanev signing out of college (barely beating Bob McKenzie because I actually wrote a full on article for Jets Nation instead of just Tweeting it haha).
I broke the Kulda signing when he came back (although I don't think he played a game).
I tweeted that the Jets would draft Vesalainen one pick before their selection.
I heavily hinted days before their drafts that Logan Stanley and Johnathan Kovacevic would be drafted by the Jets.

Among other stuff... etc. etc. :P

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan signed his qualifying offer and did not meet the requirements that it needed to be a 1-way contract. Even if he is unlikely to clear waivers the more attractive a contract is to other teams the more value Petan has.

Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: GNP and Naturaledge

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don't know if you know this, but I do know some stuff before it happens. You may not want to always go against me.

I broke the Tanev signing out of college (barely beating Bob McKenzie because I actually wrote a full on article for Jets Nation instead of just Tweeting it haha).
I broke the Kulda signing when he came back (although I don't think he played a game).
I tweeted that the Jets would draft Vesalainen one pick before their selection.
I heavily hinted days before their drafts that Logan Stanley and Johnathan Kovacevic would be drafted by the Jets.

Among other stuff... etc. etc. :P

Good God, a little tongue in cheek remark and you get all defensive. And how exactly have I been "always" going against you?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Petan signed his qualifying offer and did not meet the requirements that it needed to be a 1-way contract. Even if he is unlikely to clear waivers the more attractive a contract is to other teams the more value Petan has.

Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Technically QO's expire on July 15th. So while it's for the same money and term and clauses it may not have been the actual QO. However it's also possible the Jets provided written notice to the NHL and NHLPA to extend the deadline for QO acceptance. Either way it makes no difference, just an interesting CBA Note.

A Qualifying Offer shall automatically expire at 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 15; provided, however, that the Club may by written notice to Central Registry and the NHLPA, sent in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, provided on or before 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 15, extend the deadline for Qualifying Offer acceptance to a date (which must be a fixed and definitive calendar date) determined in its sole discretion.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Why has Petan not stuck around up to this point? What has changed in one summer that makes some confident he will succeed now? I'm totally unsure about Petan and always have been. Definition of a boom or bust prospect. Maybe he just doesn't have the physical tools to use his impressive skills in the NHL.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why has Petan not stuck around up to this point? What has changed in one summer that makes some confident he will succeed now? I'm totally unsure about Petan and always have been. Definition of a boom or bust prospect. Maybe he just doesn't have the physical tools to use his impressive skills in the NHL.
There's more room this season for him for one. We'll lose him to waivers for two.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Fewer people ahead of him.
Another year getting better as he has every year.
None of the two players he played poorly with.
And now he’s susceptible to waivers.

I thought he looked really good with Dano and Copp.
I also thought he looked extraordinairy with Wheeler.
I think Petan had quite a few games where he showed he can be an effective NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad