GDT: Jets @ Sharks 7:30pm

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

I find this to be a bit rich. Claiming that management hasn't given PDB "useful 4th liners" when he always responds to criticism of 3rd pairing and 4th liners by saying "if you're worried about the 4th line..."

Yes sir! That's just what we need, Kev. Not another top 6 that would allow us to play our choice of Goodrow, Sorensen, or Melker on the 4th while giving us scoring depth and insurance for the possibility that someone like Hertl is injured, as inconceivable as that is. Nah, f*** that shit. Let's get more 4th liners!

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
what on earth as Gregor done wrong? As soon as he started playing well he got sent down. It’s just nepotism really

This is something I'm on board with. It was said when Gregor was sent down that he had 0 points and a -6 in his 10 games. But the problem isn't that Gregor was pointless. Every 4th liner has had crap offensive totals this season. Hell, a ton of the team even beyond the 4th line has crap offensive totals relative to what we should be able to expect from them (and, tying into what I said earlier, as much as certain people want to blame the players for not playing up to par instead of the coach: If 2 or 3 players were underperforming that's on them. If 10+ players are underperforming, there's a bigger reason in play. A reason that seems like it might be standing behind the bench with an often-unreadable expression on his face, and his BFF powerplay flunkie)

The problem is that Gregor showed speed and hustle and at least has a history of offensive production that suggests he could break out. At this point that heady early play from Radil last year looks like a mirage, and we all know what Melker and Goodrow and the like bring to the team. Bergmann, like Gregor may not have had the stats, but he had the high energy/effort eye test positives. If we're going to ice a 4th line that can't score for crap, at least ice a 4th line that skates hard and can possibly make something happen.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
This is something I'm on board with. It was said when Gregor was sent down that he had 0 points and a -6 in his 10 games. But the problem isn't that Gregor was pointless. Every 4th liner has had crap offensive totals this season. Hell, a ton of the team even beyond the 4th line has crap offensive totals relative to what we should be able to expect from them (and, tying into what I said earlier, as much as certain people want to blame the players for not playing up to par instead of the coach: If 2 or 3 players were underperforming that's on them. If 10+ players are underperforming, there's a bigger reason in play. A reason that seems like it might be standing behind the bench with an often-unreadable expression on his face, and his BFF powerplay flunkie)

The problem is that Gregor showed speed and hustle and at least has a history of offensive production that suggests he could break out. At this point that heady early play from Radil last year looks like a mirage, and we all know what Melker and Goodrow and the like bring to the team. Bergmann, like Gregor may not have had the stats, but he had the high energy/effort eye test positives. If we're going to ice a 4th line that can't score for crap, at least ice a 4th line that skates hard and can possibly make something happen.

yep. What was the fourth line last game vs the Jets? Brodzinski-Gambrell-Bergmann? Why did we go away from that? It was very effective

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
The one thing that makes that different is that the Leafs had a ready-to-go highly thought of coaching alternative already in their system. Keefe has been eyeballed as an NHL head coach for several years now.

This doesn't invalidate everything I said about the risk of rolling the dice on a new coach and the worth of doing it even if you fall flat on your face. But the Leafs were absolutely in as good of a position as you could be in this situation, so comparing what they've done to expectations that the Sharks would (or even could) do the same is a big risk (though I feel like I'm using "risk" in a pretty overblown sense here).
I mean, the Sharks have Boughner already on the bench with NHL HC experience. It's a shit ton safer than being in the position St. Louis was in last year, let alone whatever's going on in Calgary right now

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
yep. What was the fourth line last game vs the Jets? Brodzinski-Gambrell-Bergmann? Why did we go away from that? It was very effective

Because Pete would rather lose with underperforming guys he's familiar and comfortable with than maybe win with underperforming guys he has no idea what to expect out of.

He has a bunch of games to know what to expect (or pretend to expect) out of Radil, but no track record with Gregor or Bergmann or whoever.

It's kind of like him pushing Goodrow up to 2C in Hertl's absence becuase he has a ton of games where Goody centered the 4th line. Meanwhile Gambrell gets stuck on the wing because reasons, even though Goodrow and Gambrell's best stretches this season were when they were shifted from center to the wing and wing back to center respectively.

I know this gets talked about in other sports (like football coaches' allergic-level avoidance of going for it on 4th down or rigid insistence that there are only a limited number of "right times" to go for 2 after a TD), but coaches often seem more like they're failure-avoidant than success-seeking if we define failure and success in terms of personal coaching failures and successes (and not necessarily team outcomes). They would rather fail making a decision they can defend as "the way it's supposed to be done" or that they can justify with familiar logic than try something unintuitive to them or that risks them looking foolish if it blows up in their faces.

Pete would rather ice Radil on the 4th line and Goodrow at 2C because he can talk all day about how those are decisions he's made before and how the team has had some successes in those situations instead of going for the different choices that won't be as easily shrugged off with "but I made all the 'right' moves, sometimes it doesn't work."

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
ObviousOrneryBrontosaurus-max-1mb.gif

Never heard a pre-Thanksgiving hangover...

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
You're really calling a penalty shot for the weakest hooking call ever? Holy ****

that’s on Dillon for shooting into the shin pads of another Jets forward sitting high waiting for another point shot. This team is so easy to scout it’s a joke at this point

Reactions: NWSharkie

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
The Sharks' forward support in all 3 zones is inexcusable. How many times have Karlsson or Burns been left with nobody to pass to within 80 feet?

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
that’s on Dillon for shooting into the shin pads of another Jets forward sitting high waiting for another point shot. This team is so easy to scout it’s a joke at this point
I've noticed in the last few weeks, the opposing RW has been pushing up high to cover that point-to-point pass even before our RD receives the puck to move it over. I'd love to see them adjust that play, maybe have the RD push down the wing instead of just winging it over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad