GDT: Jets @ Sharks 7:30pm

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Vlasic-Karlsson has been our best pairing by far throughout the last 10 games. Anybody criticizing them is only doing it because of an unhealthy obsession over Karlsson. Like that main board thread that popped up immediately after this game. You don't hear from these dopes for 8 games then like clockwork they show up after a bad game. Burns has been garbage all season and not a peep. It blows my mind.
NHL.com had Burns 6th in Norris voting, and had Makar 5th! lol

Trophy Tracker: Norris

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Vlasic-Karlsson has been our best pairing by far throughout the last 10 games. Anybody criticizing them is only doing it because of an unhealthy obsession over Karlsson. Like that main board thread that popped up immediately after this game. You don't hear from these dopes for 8 games then like clockwork they show up after a bad game. Burns has been garbage all season and not a peep. It blows my mind.

I really don’t know what it is about Karlsson that draws so much criticism from Sharks fans and others. I mean, I understand he signed a big new contract and obviously hasn’t played up to that standard.

But even relative to their respective contracts, a guy like Burns from our team and a guy like Doughty from another team have both been far worse than Karlsson. Yet I don’t hear nearly as much criticism for those players from anybody else.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I really don’t know what it is about Karlsson that draws so much criticism from Sharks fans and others. I mean, I understand he signed a big new contract and obviously hasn’t played up to that standard.

But even relative to their respective contracts, a guy like Burns from our team and a guy like Doughty from another team have both been far worse than Karlsson. Yet I don’t hear nearly as much criticism for those players from anybody else.

Years of Burns V Karlsson debates

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Because he's the new guy who pushed an old favorite out and he got signed to a huge contract.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Because he's the new guy who pushed an old favorite out and he got signed to a huge contract.
It is more that it was perfectly clear last season that Karlsson was not an asset worth even an average salary but Dougie mortgaged the whole farm for him anyway and crippled the team for a decade. Whatever Karlsson had once (if he even did, actually, since he was on a never-televised team far away, and had very little visibility here outside the Norris announcements) has faded. He is appalling in the defensive zone and he may make a good pass occasionally and has a good eye but not much release in his shot. But he needs a fair about of time to make a skilled play. He is shut down very easily with pressure on him. And for this he has a 96 Million dollar contract, one of the top handful in the league, and the top for D-men. Lasting for 8 years. Costing not only a popular, consistent contributor and a guy who is really looking outstanding in Colorado, but has severely constrained SJ's financial ability to obtain and retain top talent for >8 fricking years. All for a very weak performance. As for Burns, except for maybe last year he has always been a strong net negative contributor to the team. His "Norris" was obviously an affirmative action gift to a Canadian, as had been Dowdy's the year before. Don't know how long his contract lasts but with those contracts, I doubt if you could get a pack of trading cards and an autographed puck for a Burns/Karlsson bundle.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
It is more that it was perfectly clear last season that Karlsson was not an asset worth even an average salary but Dougie mortgaged the whole farm for him anyway and crippled the team for a decade. Whatever Karlsson had once (if he even did, actually, since he was on a never-televised team far away, and had very little visibility here outside the Norris announcements) has faded. He is appalling in the defensive zone and he may make a good pass occasionally and has a good eye but not much release in his shot. But he needs a fair about of time to make a skilled play. He is shut down very easily with pressure on him. And for this he has a 96 Million dollar contract, one of the top handful in the league, and the top for D-men. Lasting for 8 years. Costing not only a popular, consistent contributor and a guy who is really looking outstanding in Colorado, but has severely constrained SJ's financial ability to obtain and retain top talent for >8 fricking years. All for a very weak performance. As for Burns, except for maybe last year he has always been a strong net negative contributor to the team. His "Norris" was obviously an affirmative action gift to a Canadian, as had been Dowdy's the year before. Don't know how long his contract lasts but with those contracts, I doubt if you could get a pack of trading cards and an autographed puck for a Burns/Karlsson bundle.

This is hilarious. I don't even know where to start.

For one, what farm? Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, one good prospect, one average prospect, and a couple of low first round picks? Do you really think those guys would've made a difference here?

I don't disagree about "affirmative action" Norrises for certain defensemen, but Karlsson has definitely deserved at least 2 Norris trophies. This is a guy who almost single-handedly took a bubble playoff Senators team to the Cup Final. Hell, he had 9 points in 7 games against Vegas last year - on one leg.

And Donskoi wasn't coming back, no matter what. PDB didn't like him for whatever reason, and he deserved to get paid. And Joe Pavelski is nowhere near worth what his contract is paying him right now.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is where you should have ended. You can’t reason with that.

This is where I ended:

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3