Jets/Sens Preseason Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
lol that's funny. I was going through lists and picked out here name. Any suggestion aside from Wiercoich, Karlsson, and methot?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think anyone has brought this up but Stone looks to have NHL speed/skating which makes him so much more effective. He was a very noticeable player last night, his hockey smarts is top notch. I think he is going to be an impact player for us.

I think Cowen is rounding into form but that is what preseason is for.

Peumpel and Hoffman have to do more or they will be sent back.

Pageau always looks good. Can he produce is the question with him. The guy has literally all the tools but cannot get them all going at the same time. If he does, watch out.

I like the pickup of Aaron Johnson, a good depth pickup.

I think people need to realize that the Jets had a hometown lineup and we nothing but prospects out there. With that being said I like the effort put forth by our guys.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
lol that's funny. I was going through lists and picked out here name. Any suggestion aside from Wiercoich, Karlsson, and methot?

Offensively no one really standouts after Karlsson and Wier. Maybe Ceci breaks out and maybe Wideman(AHLer offensive dman) gets a call up because the lack of RHD depth but i dont think either will put up anything spectacular.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Robinson and Prince(i know he was sent down) imo both showed more then hoffman

First Robinson doesn't play the left side and second Prince wasn't better than Hoffman.

Watching Prince in one game in TO isn't equal to the accumulated body of work that started in NFLD over a week ago.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
First Robinson doesn't play the left side and second Prince wasn't better than Hoffman.

Watching Prince in one game in TO isn't equal to the accumulated body of work that started in NFLD over a week ago.

Its possible that Prince out competed Hoffman but was sent down because of contracts. I dont understand how you can say with absolute certainty that Hoffman out preformed Prince

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thanks to those who wrote the post game player assessments. I haven't had a chance to watch much so far so it is appreciated.
I see conflicting opinions on Neil's game last night and am wondering where truth lays? He's a guy I really hope can turn around his game from last year. It will be a sad day when he is no longer effective. I appreciate his veteran presence and sticking up for his team mates, but he's only at his best when he's able to play a heavy forchecking game creating turnovers and creating disturbance in front of the net. If that's gone than his game is gone. I hope he gets that back

Note that I agree he should never be on the PP unless for the reason I mention. As another poster mention Mac using him last year for that also made my eyes bleed

I think the problem with Neil is that he's a liability in his own zone - he kind of looks lost out there.

I said earlier that Pageau/Neil were out for two goals, and I was wrong. What I was remembering was a shift where they were pinned in their own zone for a good minute and Winnipeg ended up drawing a penalty (no goal). But what was face-palm worthy was that, when the penalty ended, it was the same line out there again, and they gave up that first goal after once again running around the zone and getting pinned in there. The momentum boost from the kill was instantly snuffed out.

He's ok when he's mixing things up in the offensive zone, laying hits, etc., but his puck handling has suffered a bit and he seems to slow down when he's carrying the puck, making him a poor pass recipient.

I guess I'd say his play without the puck in the offensive zone was good in this past game, his agitating was good, but his play with the puck was pretty weak and his defensive zone play cringe-worthy.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
one pre season game?

See my post (#162). I've had those feelings about Hoffman for a while. He has had a number of call-ups in the last year and has failed to put his mark on the team to solidify his spot. Even Stone, who I've critiqued before, has struggled to do this, but the difference with Stoner is that you can see the chemistry he is developing with other players. We'll see what happens. As always, I'd be happy if a prospect proves me wrong.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I don't think anyone has brought this up but Stone looks to have NHL speed/skating which makes him so much more effective. He was a very noticeable player last night, his hockey smarts is top notch. I think he is going to be an impact player for us.

I think Cowen is rounding into form but that is what preseason is for.

Peumpel and Hoffman have to do more or they will be sent back.

Pageau always looks good. Can he produce is the question with him. The guy has literally all the tools but cannot get them all going at the same time. If he does, watch out.

I like the pickup of Aaron Johnson, a good depth pickup.

I think people need to realize that the Jets had a hometown lineup and we nothing but prospects out there. With that being said I like the effort put forth by our guys.

I've been saying that about stone since last year, his skating has become a non-issue.

Anyone that says otherwise can't be trusted.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

282_21cb74_f167b79e_oJ.jpg.thumb

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
See my post (#162). I've had those feelings about Hoffman for a while. He has had a number of call-ups in the last year and has failed to put his mark on the team to solidify his spot. Even Stone, who I've critiqued before, has struggled to do this, but the difference with Stoner is that you can see the chemistry he is developing with other players. We'll see what happens. As always, I'd be happy if a prospect proves me wrong.

Hoffman is a notoriously slow learner

He was solid in the home stretch last year so I'm fine with giving him a bit more rope to let him get his groove

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Offensively no one really standouts after Karlsson and Wier. Maybe Ceci breaks out and maybe Wideman(AHLer offensive dman) gets a call up because the lack of RHD depth but i dont think either will put up anything spectacular.

Ceci is already a better defender than Wiercioch. Last night Ceci had the most time on ice and played the best of all the defenders. If you're talking about offense, that will come. Cowen + Karlsson and Methot and Ceci would be two great lines this season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Ceci
Cowen-"Boro/Gryba" (I think the team might give Boro a chance to see if his game translates to the right side before going to Gryba if it doesn't work)
--------------
Wier-"Gryba/Boro"

That's how I see our defense at the beginning of the year. I'm not saying that's my personal wish about how it plays out, but that's my prediction on what we'll see on opening night, barring an injury keeping any of the top-6 guys out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hoffman is a notoriously slow learner

He was solid in the home stretch last year so I'm fine with giving him a bit more rope to let him get his groove

Your mixed metaphor made me laugh. "More rope to get his groove". Are you planning to hang him? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig