Jets/Sens Preseason Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tape2Tape

Aug 18, 2010
Pageau should be on the opening night roster, but if the team wants to give Lazar a 9 game NHL audition, he might be the only option to send down. Hoffman hasn't shown much points wise, but his speed and anticipation creates opportunities from pressure on the oppositons D. Him and Pageau really force the play on their forecheck. That hustle Pageau showed sneaking behind the D and getting a shot from a bad angle is the type of stuff MacLean loves to see. I think Hoffman stays because of the waiver risk for now.

As others said, I'd like to see Condra waived too and then you'd potentially have room for both JGP and Hoffman. I think both offer the same ability Condra has as far as hockey IQ and anticipating the play, but they both have far superior speed and offensive ability.

Puempel had a great opportunity last night and really didn't show much. He'll be better off in Bingo playing top line minutes, top PP unit.

Buddy Robinson is a wild card. You can't teach 6'5, and he's doing a good job at keeping his game simple and flying up and down the wing. Never a bad thing to show the coaches you've got a bit of a scoring touch and some soft hands for a giant either. He probably goes down to start the year because of numbers but won't be surprised to see him here at some point this season.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Lazar - Legwand - Stone
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra
Hoffman waived

That gives you 3 rock solid, young lines and a 4th line/energy line.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Why do you have Hoffman in the line-up? Did he impress you?
ChIasson
And Phillips will play before Claesson and Boro.

Hoffman was soft in Winnipeg but he always has started that way in a new situation. He'll get stronger; he has at every level. He's there because Greening and Condra have not impressed at all and he's one way.

Chiasson - Thanks

Claesson is one of the more competent D this preseason. Better than Wiercioch last night. Steady, dependable. He's Swedish and I think that works nicely with Karlsson, or at least on the roster.

I hope for a trade also that will clear the backlog, and if that means they have to O'Brien someone to Binghamton then they should try.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My thoughts:

-Mark Stone - probably the best forward on the ice. He made a lot of heads-up, smart hockey plays, stealing pucks and creating turnovers. He seems to always be in the right place in the right time.

-Mika Zibanejad - The announcers were down on him but again, overall he was making NHL veteran plays. He went hard to the net and made some nifty passes too.

-Cody Ceci - Probably Ottawa's best overall player. That guy was unflappable in this game, continuously making good plays at both ends of the ice.

-Curtis Lazar - He plays like a seasoned veteran. Had that play where he avoided the too many men, went strong to the net and in the corners.

-Buddy Robinson - He moves his feet like a much smaller man.

-Jared Cowen - Elk in the headlights. Jared Cobweb. He had a couple good plays later on in the game but was wallowing around for the first two periods or so.

-Zack Smith - Worked his tail off, had the one decent breakaway opportunity, caused havoc in the zone. I was impressed.

-Craig Anderson - Vintage Craig. Stops a shorthanded chance that could kill the momentum. Solid rebound control and overall coolness in the face of pressure. This is the Anderson that has probably been Ottawa's most consistent goalie in franchise history.

-Robin Lehner - Solid enough, only played the one period.

-Alex Chiasson - Didn't really do anything noteworthy in the entire game IMO.

-Matt Puempel - I like how he shoots and shoots and shoots. On a team that is offensively deficient, we may need some of this.

-Colin Greening - He had one shift where he was barrelling around the offensive zone. Aside from that, a passenger, as we've come to expect.

-Chris Neil - I think he was out for both goals against. He had a couple of big hits and pushed some kids around but overall, he was sluggish and definitely 4th line material at best.

-JG Pageau - He's going to have to find a way to use his speed more effectively or he's never going to play in the NHL. He was also out for both goals against. I like his hustle, I'm not liking his execution.

-Johnson and Grant - My wife had to tell me that it wasn't in fact, Derek Grant on the ice for that goal against. Johnson had the nice pass for Buddy Robinson.

-Patrick Wiercioch - Plays a 1 on 1 perfectly early in the game, coughs up the puck for the 2nd goal later on. He's still a project I guess. Lacks overall intensity.

-Fredrik Claesson - Seemed to struggle a bit with the pace of the game at times, but not bad.

-Mike Hoffman - Goes nowhere fast. Seems to be unable to translate his game to the NHL.

-Coaching - Seeing Chris Neil out there on the PP made my eyes bleed when guys like Lazar and Puempel were on the bench. Lazar and Stone had some great plays on the PK

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I have never understood the hype for Hoffman. Sure, he skates well and shows you flashes of great skill, but ultimately he's a perimeter player who hasn't given even the slightest indication that he can be consistently productive in the NHL. He'll end up leaving here and going to Europe just as DaCosta did.

What hype? And how do you expect him to be consistently productive in 25 games on a bad team?

Z. Smith is so overrated by Maclean that it's sickening. He is trying to make him into something that he is not. Took another dumb penalty with less than 5 minutes to go in the game but yet always gets rewarded.

Well Klingberg basically hit himself in the face with Smith's stick. I hate when fans call bad calls dumb penalties.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Hoffman was soft in Winnipeg but he always has started that way in a new situation. He'll get stronger; he has at every level. He's there because Greening and Condra have not impressed at all and he's one way.

Chiasson - Thanks

Claesson is one of the more competent D this preseason. Better than Wiercioch last night. Steady, dependable. He's Swedish and I think that works nicely with Karlsson, or at least on the roster.

I hope for a trade also that will clear the backlog, and if that means they have to O'Brien someone to Binghamton then they should try.

Regarding Hoffman: we get it that he is getting better with time. But since he joined the Sens, he got recalled 6 times (22-Dec-11, 16-Apr-12, 12-Jan-13, 26-Mar-13, 02-Dec-13, 24-Feb-14) and I can't recall when he made a good impression.

I know the coach didn't give him opportunities to succeed by matching him with unskilled players but he has to shine during those times. He hasn't done it yet.

Yesterday, Pageau found a way to impress the coach even if he was on the 4th line.

Sorry Hoff, I think you're going back to Bingo.

Regarding Wiercioch: Same as above, Claesson did more to impress the coach than Wiercioch. Wier has been given the chance and he's not taking it.

Two players Wiercioch and Hoffman in the same situation. But in the case of Hoffman, you're ready to give him a break, why?

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
What hype? And how do you expect him to be consistently productive in 25 games on a bad team?

Well Klingberg basically hit himself in the face with Smith's stick. I hate when fans call bad calls dumb penalties.

So Smith did nothing wrong in you're eyes. You didn't see him roughing up a rookie which led to Smith's stick hitting Klingberg in the face.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Regarding Hoffman: we get it that he is getting better with time. But since he joined the Sens, he got recalled 6 times (22-Dec-11, 16-Apr-12, 12-Jan-13, 26-Mar-13, 02-Dec-13, 24-Feb-14) and I can't recall when he made a good impression.

I know the coach didn't give him opportunities to succeed by matching him with unskilled players but he has to shine during those times. He hasn't done it yet.

Yesterday, Pageau found a way to impress the coach even if he was on the 4th line.

Sorry Hoff, I think you're going back to Bingo.

Regarding Wiercioch: Same as above, Claesson did more to impress the coach than Wiercioch. Wier has been given the chance and he's not taking it.

Two players Wiercioch and Hoffman in the same situation. But in the case of Hoffman, you're ready to give him a break, why?

The only difference with Wiercioch is that there isn't any clear cut players other than Methot better than him on the left side.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So Smith did nothing wrong in you're eyes. You didn't see him roughing up a rookie which led to Smith's stick hitting Klingberg in the face.

The timeliness of the penalty was frustrating, but Zack Smith's overall game was solid IMO.

His line was one of the few that pinned the opposition in their own zone.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah but smith has a habit of skating around with his stick in the air, the guy is a dud.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
My thoughts:

-JG Pageau - He's going to have to find a way to use his speed more effectively or he's never going to play in the NHL. He was also out for both goals against. I like his hustle, I'm not liking his execution.

Saying Pageau was on the ice for both goals as a negative is pretty unkind in my opinion...On the first goal he correctly took his man and cleared the front of net Alex Grant was caught behind the net because he couldnt stay on his feet and lost his man leaving him alone in the slot, Lehner drops too early and gets beat on an easy shot. The second goal he was actually sitting on the bench. It was Robinson, Lazar and Puempel on the ice.

DD was awful and Neil was not much better.

I agree with pretty much everything else except Stone. I found him to be underwhelming, he's solid but can't seem to generate anything by himself. It's amazing how different he looks when he plays with Turris and Mac.

I don't get why the coaching didnt try to mix up the lines half way through...we were generating nothing.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
For Cowen he definetly improved as the game went on. It seemed he played best in a stretch during the third, where he really seemed to be directing others and really in control. He seemed really focused during that and it showed in his play when he helped exit the zone and break up the Jets offensive cycles.

Pageau was a fast little guy but it was hard to tell with his linemates for the rest because he almost seemed like he didnt know where to go unless he was on a partial break kind of chance.

Robinson awesome goal and plays hard and well at both ends could be great 4th liner i think this year if not next.

Wiercioch was good and then looked to be too comfortable with letting Ceci carry him as the game went on.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I think Hoffman has a window of about three months to show he belongs or he's done and will part of a trade package.

Wiercioch is a project. I've liked his game at times and been nonplussed as well.

IF we were going to try to get at Petry type of return (Edmonton) for a Smith and ?, Wiercioch could well be that ?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

I don't see how they didn't call Klingberg for holding the stick, when Smith was trying to pull it out of his hand.

Call them both or call neither. We're the Senators. We get the lone penalty on these plays consistently.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
The timeliness of the penalty was frustrating, but Zack Smith's overall game was solid IMO.

His line was one of the few that pinned the opposition in their own zone.

The only issue I have with Z. Smith's game is the dumb penalties that he always takes. What I do have issue is with Paul Maclean feeling that he needs to reward him all the time. Smith is a very good 4th line centre but Paul Maclean wants to make him into something else.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Anyone with some kind of understanding of the game, try this :

Read the GDT AFTER the game

You will lolz and scratch your head a lot. And this is a pre-season game with Sens B line-up for Christ's sake.

Like it was said, the hyperbole going around here is madly ridiculous. This board needs a shrink.

Hyperbole + grass is always greener on the other side + insecurity syndrome + defeatist and give up at first sign of adversity = HF Sens

Will this fanbase will ever mature a bit? It reads dumb, I'm losing interest again. Might start to use the ignore button

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I refuse to watch Lazar get stapled to Neil and Greening. Please send him to juniors. He still can get better offensively there.

Lazar looks like a very good prospect and I think he deserves to play a few games in the NHL this year, but will probably be sent back to the Oil Kings after 9 or less games. So far, he is looking like a third line player, responsible defensively. Hopefully he can develop offensively in junior this coming season.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
I don't see how they didn't call Klingberg for holding the stick, when Smith was trying to pull it out of his hand.

Call them both or call neither. We're the Senators. We get the lone penalty on these plays consistently.

He was slashed twice in the hands on that breakaway as well, should of been a penalty shot.

With Smith and especially Neil they get a lot of reputation calls.

Smith imo is a lot more than a 4the line center..he just needs some capable wingers and time to mesh with them.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Neil was great last night. He was the only vet in the line up, and was obviously there to make sure that the Jets didn't take liberties with our kids. That is his main role, and a role that every team needs. He was causing trouble all night, and stood up for the kids when needed. The 2 for shoving was ridiculous, and likely the refs trying to cool off a preseason game. Love how Neil was fired up anyways.

It should be noted that there is likely two streams of though going on simultaneously with training came, one are the guys competing for spots, and the other are the guys whom the staff are taking a good look at, but are not threatening to take a roster spot. Of this second group there are two types; there are the guys who the organization has plans for and the staff want to get an updated view of their skills, and the other are the guys that the team is having a look to decide if the organization wants to have long term plans for them. This is my simple overview of what is obviously more nuanced and complex. However, this is, in my opinion, why Prince was sent down while a guy like DD stayed up. Management likes Prince, has plans for him, but know he's not going to crack the opening night roster so there is no point holding him out of Bingo games, especially some overseas bonding. Mac already explained how happy he was with Prince, and why he was sent down. DD is getting a last long look before the organization drops him from future plans.

Same on D, Freddy is getting a nice long look to access his skills, but he will definitely be going back to Bingo, but is in the team's future. Grant and Johnson, are getting a look to see if there is a future for them in the organization. To make a more final decision more time is needed.

Murray has already explained that Lazar will have to significantly outplay a roster player if he is to stick, and I don't think he's done that. He seems like he is ready for NHL hockey, but he is not significantly better than our roster players, or the guys fighting for spots, unless space is made by clearing out players (Greening, Condra?). He is likely to be sent back.

Stone, Puempel, Hoffman, Pageau, and Robinson are all fighting neck an neck for the couple of roster spots available. Lazar has been solid, but he has not shown to be significantly better than any of these guys, and it's preseason, where all kinds of types can shine (why he has to be significantly better to secure a spot). Personally I think Puempel will be sent back to dominate in the AHL and be a quick injury call up, and I think Hoffman is on the outside looking in at this point. It also looks like Robinson is more suited to play with some offensive type players, while Pageau is so good defensively that he could secure a spot by virtue of being versatile enough to play with Neil and Smith (he could also play with scorers, but is better than Stone and Robinson in the bottom six). Smith Pageau Neil could be an awesome 4th line with punch, defence, and some scoring, like Boston's.

Cowen was better last night, while Weir was not great. He does very little well, and plays like a player who will likely be the odd man out. When Methot is ready to go, I see Boro as being a better 7th man option than Weir, for at least Boro brings an element to the team.

Personally I would like to see the forwards pan out like so:

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Mik - Zib - Stone
Chai - Leggy - Robinson
Smith - Pageau - Neil

Greening

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Personally I would like to see the forwards pan out like so:

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Mik - Zib - Stone
Chai - Leggy - Robinson
Smith - Pageau - Neil

Greening

I could get behind this. As long as Greening and Neil are not on the same line, I believe it's a huge plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad