Confirmed with Link: Jets re-sign logan stanley 1 year 1 million

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The three players aren't really close to comparable? He's played over 100 games with the Jets. If he breaks out its not bc of lack of opportunity he got here. Whereas Eyssimont and Kova barely played in the NHL here.

If he breaks out elsewhere it's why couldn't he have played like that in the ample opportunity he received as a Jet.
My post was more of a dig at HFJets posters who fall in love with fringe NHLers than anything Stanley specific

None of these guys ever "break out" anywhere, because they just aren't very good. Postma, Niku. Dano, etc...

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
My post was more of a dig at HFJets posters who fall in love with fringe NHLers than anything Stanley specific

None of these guys ever "break out" anywhere, because they just aren't very good. Postma, Niku. Dano, etc...
ok so you have some odd bone to pick against some individual posters. which posters have said that any of kovacevic or eyssimont would be saviors? i think eyssimont has potential to be better than some of the bottom-6ers we iced through most of last year. that's about it.

the conclusion of "He'll go from whipping boy to "he could have been our saviour" status overnight" is ridiculous. this is stanleys 7th year here, re-signed twice, protected against SEA and has played 120+ games w/ us (reg season + POs), compare that now against Eyssimont or Kovacevic. If he was some savior or whatever, he should've showcased it in the vast amount of time he was able to crack the roster.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
ok so you have some odd bone to pick against some individual posters. which posters have said that any of kovacevic or eyssimont would be saviors? i think eyssimont has potential to be better than some of the bottom-6ers we iced through most of last year. that's about it.

the conclusion of "He'll go from whipping boy to "he could have been our saviour" status overnight" is ridiculous. this is stanleys 7th year here, re-signed twice, protected against SEA and has played 120+ games w/ us (reg season + POs), compare that now against Eyssimont or Kovacevic. If he was some savior or whatever, he should've showcased it in the vast amount of time he was able to crack the roster.
I bet you're fun at parties. Everyone loves a pedant

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Honestly I have a bone to pick with the Jets changing their mantra to 'shiny new toy'... keeping Capo over Kovacevic just says hey we don't believe in our development system - except we're a draft and develop team...

So I'm definitely drifting to the 'groan' we've signed another retread camp... aka Kuhlman, Sbisa, Bitetto, Maenelainen, etc etc etc...

We let Eyssimont and Kovacevic go without ever really seeing what they could do - we seem poised to do that with Chisholm now...

Maybe its time to stop pretending this is a draft and develop team - it was for the first five years... and hasn't been for quite a long time now

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Honestly I have a bone to pick with the Jets changing their mantra to 'shiny new toy'... keeping Capo over Kovacevic just says hey we don't believe in our development system - except we're a draft and develop team...

So I'm definitely drifting to the 'groan' we've signed another retread camp... aka Kuhlman, Sbisa, Bitetto, Maenelainen, etc etc etc...

We let Eyssimont and Kovacevic go without ever really seeing what they could do - we seem poised to do that with Chisholm now...

Maybe its time to stop pretending this is a draft and develop team - it was for the first five years... and hasn't been for quite a long time now
All those guys are so interchangeable that replacing one with another similarly skilled player has such a small impact in the long run... which was kinda my point

Don't forget that the "new toy" we pick up off the waiver wire is some player that another fanbase is complaining about losing like we do with our borderline NHLers

We need to focus on replacing those guys with considerably better players in order to improve as a team

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

How is Eyssimont part of a draft and develop plan. He was a LA cast off that passed through Winnipeg and SJ and is a league minimum player now in TB. Most Habs fans don't even think Kovasevic will be in their top 6 this year, and they have one of the worst defenses in the league. All these players are NHL tweeners that have little impact on team success. Hundreds of players like these float around the league every season hoping to find work. Cappo was also a cast off who landed with the Jets so how is that different than Eyssimont? Chisholm is in his mid 20's and is about 9th or 10th on the depth chart of a bubble team and will also almost guaranteed to be another AHL tweener trying to get a foothold somewhere to eke out a career at league minimum. Teams don't really worry about these players much as the come and go and fill bottom of the roster depth spots at league minimum.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Capo or Chisholm probably if anyone
Maybe the Gus Bus

Lybushkin went for a 4th. Gotta think Stan gets you a 3rd probably at best

Likely scenario

Helle plus Stanley or Scheifele plus Stanley.

Or he's our 7th or 8th D. I see us keeping 8 D as of today. Ville to Manitoba. Stan. Capo kept. (Chis not signed yet)

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
All those guys are so interchangeable that replacing one with another similarly skilled player has such a small impact in the long run... which was kinda my point

Don't forget that the "new toy" we pick up off the waiver wire is some player that another fanbase is complaining about losing like we do with our borderline NHLers

We need to focus on replacing those guys with considerably better players in order to improve as a team
We are making the same points from slightly different angles...

Capo, Kova, Stan - all the same talent level... except Kovacevic is RHD and 6'5 - we have a massive logjam at LHD and basically need to convert someone to right side in the very near future... what did Capo bring that Kova couldn't - obviously nothing really different

Eyssimont was scoring in our bottom six - not a game changer, but was interchangeable into the top six... Kuhlman was not - and then he ended up bumping AJF from the lineup who seemed like a waiver wire 'win'

I mean someone tell me what AJF brings that Harkins didn't? They're both great a skating fast and not scoring...

Jets spent real effort developing Copp, Apples, Poolman, etc... then it stopped while Mo was chasing a cup

Reactions: Al Camino

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
We are making the same points from slightly different angles...

Capo, Kova, Stan - all the same talent level... except Kovacevic is RHD and 6'5 - we have a massive logjam at LHD and basically need to convert someone to right side in the very near future... what did Capo bring that Kova couldn't - obviously nothing really different

Eyssimont was scoring in our bottom six - not a game changer, but was interchangeable into the top six... Kuhlman was not - and then he ended up bumping AJF from the lineup who seemed like a waiver wire 'win'

I mean someone tell me what AJF brings that Harkins didn't? They're both great a skating fast and not scoring...

Jets spent real effort developing Copp, Apples, Poolman, etc... then it stopped while Mo was chasing a cup
The Jets also paid 6 million instead of league minimum for that 6th dman. Size aside I would argue Kovacevic at league minimum is a better value that Schimdt at 6 million.

So we play Pionk in the top four forever just because we traded Trouba for him...? How does that logic not apply to Heinola then...

That being said, I'd run
Jomo-Samberg
Dillon-Pionk
Schmidt-DeMelo

Gamble that Samberg steps up - give him a shot to sink or swim... his size should open things up even more for Morrissey - Samberg gets slotted in over Dillon because he's younger and we have a chance to keep him for a long time
It's that kind of logic that keeps a guy they Jets traded up to draft in 2016 on the roster!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I watched Stanley in the Hlinka in the summer in Grand Forks in his draft year. He was a bumbling 7 foot fool during that entire tournament getting exposed by quicker smaller faster forwards.

I was at the draft live in Buffalo and was livid when the Jets traded up and wasted their early 2 nd.

I agree that there was not much left for the Jets to draft at 22…. As everyone that I hoped would fall… was allready taken by the 18th pick …. But I had high hopes for that early 2 nd …. Top on my list that day day was DeBrincat and cague out of Brandon. ( so I probably would have choose wrong as we needed Left D st the time). As we had Buff Myers and Trouba on the Right side at that time…

Having said that….. I am impressed with the player that Stanley has become. I thought he was a Slug…. And would never amount to anything or be capable zNHL defender. I saw him in the same like as Moren Philly 6’7 d man chosen 3-4 picks b4 the Jets chose Morrissey in 2013.

So Good for Stanley for becoming a NHL player and earning this 1 million $ contract.

Congratulations Stanley!!!!…..You are not the Bum I predicted that u would be!

Last edited:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I watched Stanley in the Hlinka in the summer in Grand Forks in his draft year. He was a bumbling 7 foot fool during that entire tournament getting exposed by quicker smaller faster forwards.

I was at the draft live in Buffalo and was livid when the Jets traded up and wasted their early 2 nd.

I agree that there was not much left for the Jets to draft at 22…. As everyone that I hoped would fall… was allready taken by the 18th pick …. But I had high hopes for that early 2 nd …. Top on my list that day day was DeBrincat and cague out of Brandon. ( so I probably would have choose wrong as we needed Left D st the time). As we had Buff Myers and Trouba on the Right side at that time…

Having said that….. I am impressed with the player that Stanley has become. I thought he was a Slug…. And would never amount to anything or be capable zNHL defender. I saw him in the same like as Moren Philly 6’7 d man chosen 3-4 picks b4 the Jets chose Morrissey in 2013.

So Good for Stanley for becoming a NHL player and earning this 1 million $ contract.

Congratulations Stanley!!!!…..You are not the Bum I predicted that u would be!
I think the frustration among a segment of the fan base is, he was also given more opportunity than any Jets draft pick I can think of. On the face of it it's based entirely on the draft capital and position invested in him. He's entering his D+7 season and is essentially a 7th defensemen on a wild card team.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I think the frustration among a segment of the fan base is, he was also given more opportunity than any Jets draft pick I can think of. On the face of it it's based entirely on the draft capital and position invested in him. He's entering his D+7 season and is essentially a 7th defensemen on a wild card team.

You may think he got more opportunity, but that is wrong. How many NHL games did Stanley have when he was Heinola’s age?

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
You may think he got more opportunity, but that is wrong. How many NHL games did Stanley have when he was Heinola’s age?
Less about age than the opportunities each has had relative to where they were in their development curve, IMO.

Stanley played 4 years in juniors. In his D5 he played 37 games for the Jets, including several good stretches where he could put into practice wht he was learning and settle his game. He was also sheltered to a remarkable degree in terms of zone starts and matchups.

Quite different from the spot duty and yo-yoing between NHL and AHL we’ve seen so far with Ville, and I don’t expect to see him playing anywhere close to 37 games in his D5; of course the options aren’t really there with the current corps and setup.

Plenty of interesting discussions to be had about Stan and the Jets D dev strategies more generally, but I think it’s hard to make the case that Stan has lacked opportunity in terms of reps, leash and sheltering.

I don’t expect either to be here for long, and if either makes good it’d likely to be in another uniform. I’d bet on Salmo to be the next regular on the Jets D, with Chisholm likely a 6/7 if he follows Sambergs lead and cultivates a low-error steady game.

And in the meantime we’ll pay Schmidt / Pionk 24 mill or so.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Wonder who we're losing this year to waivers.
Barring a trade to help ease the logjam at LD, Capobianco will be the one waived, after which the Jets are well poised regarding waivers on defence, likely going 13-8-2.

Morrissey / Demelo
Dillon / Pionk
Samberg / Schmidt
Stanley / Chisholm

Heinola would need to have a monster camp and push his way into the top 6 to make the roster, particularly due to the waiver implications that would result.

This all changes should a trade occur. I could see one of the above being part of a lager deal should a Scheifele or Hellebuyck trade occur, but it wouldn't surprise me if Chevy starts the season as is.

Jets are much deeper at forward this year. A healthy Vilardi, an as advertised Iaffalo & a skilled 4th liner in Kupari that can play up the line up make this roster an improvement over last years which spent half the year at the top of their division.

Further, no one on this roster is old enough to be regressing. If anything each player may be the best versions of themselves career wise.

I think it's going to be an interesting year!

Last edited:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
He did get long stretches of play most of it sheltered and with not great results. Heinola's usage equally puzzling. If they don't think he can play why not trade him when he has some perceived value?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
He did get long stretches of play most of it sheltered and with not great results. Heinola's usage equally puzzling. If they don't think he can play why not trade him when he has some perceived value?

There were exactly 10 defencemen under the age of 22 to play >10 games in the NHL last year. Many of them were top five picks. Most of them were on lottery teams who were nowhere near the playoffs.

Heinola tied for the 11th most games played among his age group or younger in the NHL. There is nothing puzzling about his usage. It is the norm.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad