Confirmed with Link: Jets re-sign logan stanley 1 year 1 million

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This thread is largely a light for the Stanley-hating moths to flock to. His trajectory was looking good until he ran into injury problems, then when he came back he made some mistakes and after that there was no more second chances. The same thing happened to Harkens a couple of seasons ago. You can’t tell me that Appleton is better than Harkens.

I think Stanley can still be an effective defenseman somewhere, but likely not here. It’s not that we have players so much better than Stanley or Heinola (or Harkens for that matter), but the organization seems to have made their decision.

Oh, and moving Dillon would be a massive mistake. He’s the only guy on the team other than Lowry who effectively stands up to tough guys, and he’s probably our most dependable d-man outside of Morrissey ( unless Pionk and Demelo can find their games again).
Yeah, the injuries didn't help him - he was already on the bubble.
I agree with you on Dillon - which is why I think they were so gung ho on getting Stan prepped for regular play.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This thread is largely a light for the Stanley-hating moths to flock to. His trajectory was looking good until he ran into injury problems, then when he came back he made some mistakes and after that there was no more second chances. The same thing happened to Harkens a couple of seasons ago. You can’t tell me that Appleton is better than Harkens.

I think Stanley can still be an effective defenseman somewhere, but likely not here. It’s not that we have players so much better than Stanley or Heinola (or Harkens for that matter), but the organization seems to have made their decision.

Oh, and moving Dillon would be a massive mistake. He’s the only guy on the team other than Lowry who effectively stands up to tough guys, and he’s probably our most dependable d-man outside of Morrissey ( unless Pionk and Demelo can find their games again).
pionk last year is closer to his career norm than his cdn division year.

id say a top-4 consisting of:

morrissey-demelo
samberg-schmidt (dillon works w/ schmidt too)

is probably your best bet with the players they have on hand.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
pionk last year is closer to his career norm than his cdn division year.

id say a top-4 consisting of:

morrissey-demelo
samberg-schmidt (dillon works w/ schmidt too)

is probably your best bet with the players they have on hand.
If Samberg gets slotted into the top four ahead of Dillon, might as we fold up the tent. Plus, that will leave the guy we got for the Rangers’ captain also out of the top four. The time to have made those types of moods was last season, when we may have snagged Bedard 😁

Reactions: TS Quint

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If Samberg gets slotted into the top four ahead of Dillon, might as we fold up the tent. Plus, that will leave the guy we got for the Rangers’ captain also out of the top four. The time to have made those types of moods was last season, when we may have snagged Bedard 😁
So we play Pionk in the top four forever just because we traded Trouba for him...? How does that logic not apply to Heinola then...

That being said, I'd run
Jomo-Samberg
Dillon-Pionk
Schmidt-DeMelo

Gamble that Samberg steps up - give him a shot to sink or swim... his size should open things up even more for Morrissey - Samberg gets slotted in over Dillon because he's younger and we have a chance to keep him for a long time

Reactions: Al Camino

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
So we play Pionk in the top four forever just because we traded Trouba for him...? How does that logic not apply to Heinola then...

That being said, I'd run
Jomo-Samberg
Dillon-Pionk
Schmidt-DeMelo

Gamble that Samberg steps up - give him a shot to sink or swim... his size should open things up even more for Morrissey - Samberg gets slotted in over Dillon because he's younger and we have a chance to keep him for a long time
Samberg plays like he’s Heinola’s size. He adds nothing physically. He is also simply inferior to our other starting defensemen so putting him in the top pairing is a recipe for disaster. I agree with your point on Pionk though… that is my wishful thinking that we need the Pionk from a few seasons ago. Meanwhile, Dillon is an automatic for top four position unless something helpful happens via the trade route.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Like I said I'm fine with Dillon in the top 4 instead. Dillon and Schmidt rate strongly together however I would like to see Samberg in a higher stakes role given how he performed as a third pair dman last season. Doesn't have to be permanent, but given Dillon is a year away from ufa should probably see if samberg is 2LD capable. I know you're not enamored with his play though.

Pionk needs to play lesser 5v5 minutes overall. I don't care that we traded trouba for him at this point. It is what it is. I wish we still had Morrissey-Trouba as a top pair however given the cards we are dealt I think we have better 2nd pair options than the combo of Dillon-Pionk.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just don't think he is worth 1M per year despite what the CBA rules allow.
The Jets set this contract in motion when they signed off on his last RFA deal. Chevy knew the QO would need to be $1 M. They could have refused to give a QO and negotiate down as a UFA, but that really isn't how TNSE treats its players.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
When signing him to his last contract(2 years ago) everybody thought we got a steal of a deal in the jets HF board….

Now he’s not worth the Q offer.

Geez….. bunch of complainers who just like to complain…, I do not see anybody say that we should not have qualified him and let him go UFA…..

If that was the case … we should have waived or traded him last year and kept Kovecevic….. at least Kovy was a RH shot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Samberg plays like he’s Heinola’s size. He adds nothing physically. He is also simply inferior to our other starting defensemen so putting him in the top pairing is a recipe for disaster. I agree with your point on Pionk though… that is my wishful thinking that we need the Pionk from a few seasons ago. Meanwhile, Dillon is an automatic for top four position unless something helpful happens via the trade route.
I don't agree with this at all, Samberg hits at the 2nd highest rate of our top 6 defensemen and is super aggressive in net front battles.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Samberg had an outstanding rookie season.

Also, it wasn't a huge surprise. He was a a core D on a top NCAA team, and one of USA's top.D in the u-20 WJHC. He has a strong pedigree.

download - 2023-08-20T173536.108.png
download - 2023-08-20T173640.750.png

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The Jets have 9 D that require waivers...

Morrissey
Pionk
DeMelo
Dillon
Schmidt
Samberg
Stanley
Capobianco
Chisholm

They might keep 8 D, by waiving Capobianco, and trading Stanley (and keeping Heinola), but I doubt it.

They have a real glut on D and the only real solution is to trade at least two of them.
I think Chevy will waive Capo and demote Heinola.

Stanley and Chisholm in the press box.

Stanley has little trade value so I don't see Chevy trading him.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If we have to put any D on waivers, hopefully it's Logan Stanley. He'd probably go unclaimed :sarcasm:

I doubt Stanley goes unclaimed but at this point I won't be shedding tears if we lose him on waivers. Best for all parties if that happens and the Jets can open up that spot for someone else.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I doubt Stanley goes unclaimed but at this point I won't be shedding tears if we lose him on waivers. Best for all parties if that happens and the Jets can open up that spot for someone else.
Every team had all summer to sign him if they wanted him but none have. Maybe a team claims him if waived but that likely requires injury problems or under performing from a player they were counting on.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I agree about Dillon, i like him on the Jets and he's got a good contract.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
I just don't see it with Stanley, I've tried but he just makes too many mistakes in his own end of the ice. Starting the season with the Moose and playing alot may help a little but I'm just not seeing it with Stanley.
I didn't see it with Stanley when the Jets drafted him in the 1st round!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I get the microscope on Stan - he's the low hanging fruit for many fans -
But we have a few Dmen that make a lot of mistakes in their own end - and cost a lot more than $1M. We are not that great defensively.

Regardless, this signing looks a prep for a move at some point - Stan wants to play and unless they move Dillon, I don't see him having much of an opportunity to play outside of a fill in.
At $1M, there are likely teams that would take a shot at him for a 2nd or 3rd - or as a throw in that might sweeten a deal they are trying to make happen.
There's no cap hit here for other teams - I can see interest in him with this contract - minimal downside.
Oh i agree about our defense especially Schmidt and Pionk , neither are great in their own end but they aren't going anywhere unless traded. I'm taking it that you like Stanley, i just don't think Stanley is good enough right now to beat out any of Morrissey , DeMelo , Samberg, Schmidt , Dillon or Pionk and by now i had hoped that he would be.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm kinda hoping that we lose big stan on waivers so his haters will have to pivot and revere him like every other Jet who we lost because they couldn't crack the roster like essy and kovy

He'll go from whipping boy to "he could have been our saviour" status overnight

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm kinda hoping that we lose big stan on waivers so his haters will have to pivot and revere him like every other Jet who we lost because they couldn't crack the roster like essy and kovy

The three players aren't really close to comparable? He's played over 100 games with the Jets. If he breaks out its not bc of lack of opportunity he got here. Whereas Eyssimont and Kova barely played in the NHL here.

If he breaks out elsewhere it's why couldn't he have played like that in the ample opportunity he received as a Jet.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

But Kovacevic kids playing #6 minutes on the super star D core of the Habs! Stupid Chevy, always screwing up.

Reactions: Buffdog

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Oh i agree about our defense especially Schmidt and Pionk , neither are great in their own end but they aren't going anywhere unless traded. I'm taking it that you like Stanley, i just don't think Stanley is good enough right now to beat out any of Morrissey , DeMelo , Samberg, Schmidt , Dillon or Pionk and by now i had hoped that he would be.
Not really anything to do with my preference on Stan - I'm assuming he is on his way out.
More about a $1M dman and the fact that we're calling out his mistakes after an injury riddles season when we have much bigger issues on the blue line.
Just wanted to clarify -

But in the end, this situation will have very little to do with the success of our blueline and whether you or I like this guy or not, he's a very small pce of the problem. Hopefully he finds a home where he can fit into the lineup - I do like the player but more for character reasons than his performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad