Confirmed with Link: Jets re-acquire C Paul Stastny!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
No they don't. Not after they get up to a 22-23 man roster with the RFA's signed.

Right now they have:
27,144 plus Little's
5,291,667 =
Add 700k for Toninato who shouldn't be listed as a roster player =
That is with 20 on the roster and Harkins, Rosie and Niku to sign. Give Niku and Harkins 850k each and Rosie 2.3 mil, leaves 2 mil and change. That is with 8 Dmen not including Samberg. Send Forbort down and insert Samberg. 23 man roster with about 2.1 mil of Little's LTIR space left.

To sign anyone else over 2 mil, they need to move someone out. Since they are now at 23 on the roster someone would need to go down anyway. Say it is Niku. Add his 850k to the available pot.

I wonder what Hamonic's market value is. Could we get him for 2.5? Not that I am all excited to get Hamonic. But I guess I wouldn't mind if the price was right.

Seems like Hamonic not in demand. Could be a 1 year $1 million type guy to rebuild his value for next off-season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’d rather the Jets took a shot at Dougie Hamilton if he’s available. I’d see if Pionk, Roslovic and a prospect (say Stanley, Vesalainen, Niku) or a pick (not a 1st) gets it done.

Hamilton has 1 year left before UFA status so there’s some risk, but he seems to be exactly what this team needs. And next year the Jets could offer him a contract of $8-$8.5M, if he works out well. Not many contending teams have that space.

Morrissey-Hamilton
Samberg-DeMelo
Forbot-Poolman

Beaulieu-Sbisa

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Its a good move as long as coach don't overplay Stastny like Wheeler in certain situations.

Stastny will take some pressure of Scheifele line.
He will also push down Lowry and Copp in the line up, where they can excel and beat their match up.

They have another power play option with him also.

He also been saying good words about Ehlers and Laine....

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Its a good move as long as coach don't overplay Stastny like Wheeler in certain situations.

Stastny will take some pressure of Scheifele line.
He will also push down Lowry and Copp in the line up, where they can excel and beat their match up.

They have another power play option with him also.

He also been saying good words about Ehlers and Laine....
Is Little done for sure? Imagine if our C depth was Schiefele - Stastny - Little - Lowry. That's suddenly looking like Maurice might actually play all 4 lines...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Is Little done for sure? Imagine if our C depth was Schiefele - Stastny - Little - Lowry. That's suddenly looking like Maurice might actually play all 4 lines...

I believe Chevy said Little is done this year.

If i can recall correctly, when Stastny was here Little played some wing at the bottom 6.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It’s Stastny or Little. We won’t be able to afford both under the cap.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Whileee I'd like to come back and say I overreacted but strawman arguments do tweak my brain a tad lol sorry.
I agree about strawman arguments, and acknowledge that I'm not always clear about when I agree and disagree (most often I agree with your views). I'm perhaps too accustomed to discourse that isn't well-suited for this type of discussion board.

Often my intent is more to test an argument based on data and push it forward, rather than get it mired in subjective discourse. I'll try to be more attentive to style and tone.

Cheers.

Reactions: SLAYER and hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’d rather the Jets took a shot at Dougie Hamilton if he’s available. I’d see if Pionk, Roslovic and a prospect (say Stanley, Vesalainen, Niku) or a pick (not a 1st) gets it done.

Hamilton has 1 year left before UFA status so there’s some risk, but he seems to be exactly what this team needs. And next year the Jets could offer him a contract of $8-$8.5M, if he works out well. Not many contending teams have that space.

Morrissey-Hamilton
Samberg-DeMelo
Forbot-Poolman

Beaulieu-Sbisa

The problem is the almost nil chance Hamilton wants to play in a market like Winnipeg, or any team where hockey is front and centre. So you're either overpaying his market value by $1 or $1.5M to keep him, or he's a one year rental.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The general view is that Stastny was brought in to play C with Laine and Ehlers, as he did in 2017/18. However, I'm not sure that's the best line-up configuration for the Jets. Since around the middle of the 2018/19 season, the Jets main issue is that their top line centered by Scheifele has been buried. They've often still out-scored their opposition, but not nearly to the extent you would expect considering their scoring talent. They need to spend more time in the offensive zone.

One possible solution is improving the D that plays behind Scheifele. I've shown before that Scheifele had much better shot metrics playing with Buff than with any other D, and it was somewhat encouraging that his metrics with DeMelo on D were also good (though they coincided with a brief and effective run with Wheeler back on RW).

Another solution would be to mix up the forward lines to give Scheifele at least one good play-driving winger, to take advantage of his plus scoring talent. The most obvious option is Ehlers, now that Perreault seems unable to log a lot of top-6 minutes.

Stastny is a plus defensive C, who can also facilitate some offense. The Jets could use a 2nd line that can match up with other top lines, and perhaps take some of the weight off of Scheifele's line in those top match-ups. Playing Stastny with Connor would give Connor the defensive support he needs, while also giving him a smart puck distributor.

So I think a logical top-6 would look like this...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Stastny-Wheeler

Given Stastny's age, I could see Scheifele taking some extra shifts on the 2nd line between Connor and Wheeler if the Jets are chasing a game.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018

Morrissey-Hamilton
Samberg-DeMelo
Forbot-Poolman

Beaulieu-Sbisa
Hamilton isn't know as a team guy. I think they called him 'table for one' in Calgary.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Hamilton isn't know as a team guy. I think they called him 'table for one' in Calgary.

Hah! With all the flack he takes about being interested in arts and culture, enjoying time at museums, etc., he reminds me of the Chelsea and England midfielder Graeme Le Saux, who suffered for years in the UK tabloids because of his literateness, style and habits of visiting art galleries and reading The Guardian -- tabloid code for being a liberal elitist and possibly (horror!) a non-het locker room cancer. It was bollocks, but they made his life hell, leading to the infamous Robbie Fowler incident and a disciplinary action.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The general view is that Stastny was brought in to play C with Laine and Ehlers, as he did in 2017/18. However, I'm not sure that's the best line-up configuration for the Jets. Since around the middle of the 2018/19 season, the Jets main issue is that their top line centered by Scheifele has been buried. They've often still out-scored their opposition, but not nearly to the extent you would expect considering their scoring talent. They need to spend more time in the offensive zone.

One possible solution is improving the D that plays behind Scheifele. I've shown before that Scheifele had much better shot metrics playing with Buff than with any other D, and it was somewhat encouraging that his metrics with DeMelo on D were also good (though they coincided with a brief and effective run with Wheeler back on RW).

Another solution would be to mix up the forward lines to give Scheifele at least one good play-driving winger, to take advantage of his plus scoring talent. The most obvious option is Ehlers, now that Perreault seems unable to log a lot of top-6 minutes.

Stastny is a plus defensive C, who can also facilitate some offense. The Jets could use a 2nd line that can match up with other top lines, and perhaps take some of the weight off of Scheifele's line in those top match-ups. Playing Stastny with Connor would give Connor the defensive support he needs, while also giving him a smart puck distributor.

So I think a logical top-6 would look like this...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Stastny-Wheeler

Given Stastny's age, I could see Scheifele taking some extra shifts on the 2nd line between Connor and Wheeler if the Jets are chasing a game.
Agree with all this.
Looking at it differently, if Stastny replaces Little, then Connor becomes 'prime Ladd', the finisher on the 'Wheeler-Little' line.
Ehlers gets the promotion he deserves and Laine gets to play top minutes with his buddy, an unappreciated play driver. With ESchL, Laine doesn't have to be just a finisher, as all 3 can setup and score. So, he gets an opportunity to diversify his game and become less predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad