Confirmed with Link: Jets re-acquire C Paul Stastny!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
That is a scenario that can go both ways. It might depend on who calls who first. If McCrimmon calls Chevy with that offer, Chevy is in the driver's seat. 'Sure, I'll take Stastny off your hands, for a 2nd, but you gotta move fast, I have other places to use that cap space'.

'If you don't buy that used car from me for that price this morning, I have 2 more guys coming to look at it this afternoon. You better hurry'. :laugh:

Haha, there's definitely a parallel between a used car salesman and a GM. :laugh: Especially if your name is Chevy.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I seriously doubt anyone is expecting this team to make a run to the WCF again. We will be a competative team in a division that has a lot of solid teams. Colorado is a contender right now, Dallas still has a damn good defence and its yet to be seen how much of an impact losing Petro will have on the Blues, if they do indeed lose him.

StL has lost Petro. There is no going back. They gave his money to Krug. Blues are already over the cap.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah. But who else would have taken Stastny? Who else had the cap space and the need for an aging centre with 1 year to go?
Ottawa is more than $20 million below the cap floor. Stastny would be a good mentor and with only 1 year on his contract, wouldn't be a long term financial risk. Carolina could make room.

Nashville
Buffalo
Detroit
LAK

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wow can’t believe how highly people value a fourth round pick. They are worthless. Chevy plugged the 2C hole for free and people are complaining. They were ready to give up Laine for a 2C and complain about a fourth round pick.

It is not about the value of a 4th rd pick alone. It is the sum of a 4th + a depth Dman + 6.5 mil cap space vs something we should have got in return instead, say a 2nd or 3rd. That is quite a difference. The cap space is the most valuable part of that by far.

No one was willing to give up Laine for a 1 year stopgap 2C.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just think some thought we had Vegas over a barrel and we should have got a pick not given one away. I agree a 4th isn't much to give and it's conditional so we might not be giving that up anyway.

Apparently the condition was just that he play a few games. So if the season goes ahead the condition gets satisfied. And Dahlstrom is worth something. Not much but more than nothing. The big value was the cap space. We saved their butt. They were millions over the cap.

I don't believe there was any lineup of bidders trying to get Stastny. The teams that might have wanted him didn't have the cap. The teams that had the cap had no reason to want him.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Speaking for myself I wanted to plug the hole at second line center. I think we did that short term with a guy who has proven chemistry with Laine and Ehlers in the past. He may not be as good as two years ago but he hasn’t fallen off a cliff.

Big picture 2017-18 was a magic spring and we had a powerhouse squad. Those days are gone full stop!

What I want is a team that is better than the 2019-20 Jets and I think DeMelo and Stastny help us start moving in the right direction if and when the next season starts.

Yes, I agree. To clarify, I think getting Stas was a great move and I fully support it. I just think the chemistry everyone is raving about is slightly overstated considering Stas was red hot for the whole time he was here. Expecting that over a full season is a surefire way to get disappointed imo. But no question the team is better today an it was a week ago!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Apparently the condition was just that he play a few games. So if the season goes ahead the condition gets satisfied. And Dahlstrom is worth something. Not much but more than nothing. The big value was the cap space. We saved their butt. They were millions over the cap.

I don't believe there was any lineup of bidders trying to get Stastny. The teams that might have wanted him didn't have the cap. The teams that had the cap had no reason to want him.
Nashville is a very viable competitor for Stastny. It only takes one.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ottawa is more than $20 million below the cap floor. Stastny would be a good mentor and with only 1 year on his contract, wouldn't be a long term financial risk. Carolina could make room.

Nashville
Buffalo
Detroit
LAK

Yes, there were other teams that could have taken him. I can't see any likelihood that they would.
Ottawa has plenty of room. Is Melnyk the owner who is going to spend 5.5 million real dollars for a mentor? Why would any team early in a rebuild spend money that way? Especially in a year with no fans in the stands.
Carolina doesn't have the room. They might be able to make the room, but would it make any sense?
Nashville has the room, but not the need. They have RyJo and Duchene. They need F's, but not expensive, aging ones.
Buffalo has space. But again, what need? They just acquired their aging mentor C in Staal. How many of those do they need?
Detroit has space but they are early in their rebuild process. A 1 yr rental is just a waste of money for them.
LAK could make room for him but they are another rebuilding team and they have Kopitar and Carter as C mentors to go with a bunch of young C's. Just no need.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nashville is a very viable competitor for Stastny. It only takes one.

True, it only takes one. But why would Nashville be that one? They have space and need a few forwards but not aging rentals. He would make them a little better this season at 3C or LW. But not his money's worth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I feel like I've seen quite a bit of chatter on that. Is there bad blood between Chevy and McCrimmon?

I don't know about Chevy/McCrimmon but there certainly seemed to be some bad blood between McPhee and the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No, its all based on the Brassard thing from 2017-18 when they traded for him to essentially stop the Jets from getting him. That was George McPhee though so its just hurt feelings.

The F Vegas stuff is amongst the more baffling things on this board to me, to be honest.

The F Vegas thing goes back to that incident and 1 or 2 others, like turning off the lights for the Jets practice.

Beyond that, it is just fun and that org deserves it.

Reactions: FonRiesen

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, I agree. To clarify, I think getting Stas was a great move and I fully support it. I just think the chemistry everyone is raving about is slightly overstated considering Stas was red hot for the whole time he was here. Expecting that over a full season is a surefire way to get disappointed imo. But no question the team is better today an it was a week ago!

I am hoping we see the best version of Laine this season. I think we have a chance of seeing his shooting volume go up again and I would t be surprised to see his shooting % increase a bit. What I like is that he has two good options to work with at center. I do agree there will be a cooling off a bit but at least Paul fits well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Nashville
Buffalo
Detroit
LAK

Ottawa is 6.5 below the cap floor with only 16 on their roster. Meeting the floor won't be any issue at all.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The F Vegas thing goes back to that incident and 1 or 2 others, like turning off the lights for the Jets practice.

Beyond that, it is just fun and that org deserves it.

Tricks all teams use, like cold water for showers in the visitors room, slow Zamboni drivers to cut into away practice time, etc.

That org deserves a lot of credit for making that team so good in that length of time. Hockey elitism is a bad look on large portions of the NHL fan base.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It is not about the value of a 4th rd pick alone. It is the sum of a 4th + a depth Dman + 6.5 mil cap space vs something we should have got in return instead, say a 2nd or 3rd. That is quite a difference. The cap space is the most valuable part of that by far.

No one was willing to give up Laine for a 1 year stopgap 2C.

Jets got cap relief by shipping out Dahlström who is on a one-way contract, so Stastny’s AAV is just 5.7M. Losing Dahlström was not a loss.

And the Jets have BOATLOADS of cap space. It is only valuable if you use it.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tricks all teams use, like cold water for showers in the visitors room, slow Zamboni drivers to cut into away practice time, etc.

That org deserves a lot of credit for making that team so good in that length of time. Hockey elitism is a bad look on large portions of the NHL fan base.

You're entitled to that opinion. I'll stick with F**k Vegas.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets got cap relief by shipping out Dahlström who is on a one-way contract, so Stastny’s AAV is just 5.7M. Losing Dahlström was not a loss.

And the Jets have BOATLOADS of cap space. It is only valuable if you use it.

Jets have practically no cap space at all. They spent all of the spare room on Stastny. ALL of it. Dahlstrom had to be replaced. He was an 850k cap hit. Forbort is a 1 mil cap hit.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Jets have practically no cap space at all. They spent all of the spare room on Stastny. ALL of it. Dahlstrom had to be replaced. He was an 850k cap hit. Forbort is a 1 mil cap hit.

They have about $6m in space with Little's LTIR space.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They have about $6m in space with Little's LTIR space.

No they don't. Not after they get up to a 22-23 man roster with the RFA's signed.

Right now they have:
27,144 plus Little's
5,291,667 =
Add 700k for Toninato who shouldn't be listed as a roster player =
That is with 20 on the roster and Harkins, Rosie and Niku to sign. Give Niku and Harkins 850k each and Rosie 2.3 mil, leaves 2 mil and change. That is with 8 Dmen not including Samberg. Send Forbort down and insert Samberg. 23 man roster with about 2.1 mil of Little's LTIR space left.

To sign anyone else over 2 mil, they need to move someone out. Since they are now at 23 on the roster someone would need to go down anyway. Say it is Niku. Add his 850k to the available pot.

I wonder what Hamonic's market value is. Could we get him for 2.5? Not that I am all excited to get Hamonic. But I guess I wouldn't mind if the price was right.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No they don't. Not after they get up to a 22-23 man roster with the RFA's signed.

Right now they have:
27,144 plus Little's
5,291,667 =
Add 700k for Toninato who shouldn't be listed as a roster player =
That is with 20 on the roster and Harkins, Rosie and Niku to sign. Give Niku and Harkins 850k each and Rosie 2.3 mil, leaves 2 mil and change. That is with 8 Dmen not including Samberg. Send Forbort down and insert Samberg. 23 man roster with about 2.1 mil of Little's LTIR space left.

To sign anyone else over 2 mil, they need to move someone out. Since they are now at 23 on the roster someone would need to go down anyway. Say it is Niku. Add his 850k to the available pot.

I wonder what Hamonic's market value is. Could we get him for 2.5? Not that I am all excited to get Hamonic. But I guess I wouldn't mind if the price was right.

If Roslovic wants 2.3 I'd look at shipping him out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Roslovic wants 2.3 I'd look at shipping him out.

I don't have numbers of comps handy, but I think he belongs in that range. That said, he seems to be top of most Jets fans trade bait lists. But not that they want to be rid of him. They/we just see him as having trade value and being expendable.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't have numbers of comps handy, but I think he belongs in that range. That said, he seems to be top of most Jets fans trade bait lists. But not that they want to be rid of him. They/we just see him as having trade value and being expendable.
I like roslovic but he is totally expendable. Appleton and Harkins can both provide what he provides if not quite at the same level. So if he wants to much, they can get something that will help them, best of luck in your new home Jack.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think the Jets are done in FA. If they make another move for a top 4 dmen it will be via trade imo. I think they are waiting g for the dust to settle on the remaining big ticket FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad