Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So, you think the Kraken will take Niku and a 3rd instead of a legit player? Moving up in the 1st round of the draft is much different than taking a guy who can’t make one of the worst D’s in the league and adding a pick with a minute chance of being an impact player in the league, imo. So, where am I wrong?

Third may or may not be the price but moving up the draft, but it's not unreasonable valuation without some merit.

Niku is percieved by some to still have enough potential and young enough that his trajectory is fixable (I'm skeptical by the degree but I think he would do better in a system that allows him to skate the puck on the 3rd pair with a DeMelo type and go PP2). And even if he's not fixed he's still good enough to provide depth in the pressbox or in the AHL. I also think teams are a bit better equiped to handle this expansion draft than the last one (no Tallon), so Seattle will have to make some more homerun attempts, take more reclimation projects, and be a bit more creative.

That's a large increase in value than Thorburn, who was literately picked simply to pick someone and they let contract expire a month later with no intentions to extend in the first place. The Thorburn pick was literally not picking someone for all purposes, which is less than Niku.

Yes, historically speaking, trading down from 13 to 24 is indeed more than a 3rd round pick worth; it's about a mid 2nd pick. The gap between a 3rd and 2nd round pick is about 3rd-4th depending on the year.

So really Niku is being evaluated as a 3rd-4th round pick tweener here in value. Might be an overvaluation, sure... but maybe not a huge amount.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Third may or may not be the price but moving up the draft, but it's not unreasonable valuation without some merit.

Niku is percieved by some to still have enough potential and young enough that his trajectory is fixable. And even if he's not fixed he's still good enough to provide depth in the pressbox or in the AHL. I also think teams are a bit better equiped to handle this expansion draft than the last one (no Tallon), so Seattle will have to make some more homerun attempts, take more reclimation projects, and be a bit more creative.

That's a large increase in value than Thorburn, who was literately picked simply to pick someone and they let contract expire a month later with no intentions to extend in the first place. The Thorburn pick was literally not picking someone for all purposes, which is less than Niku.

Yes, historically speaking, trading down from 13 to 24 is indeed more than a 3rd round pick worth; it's about a mid 2nd pick. The gap between a 3rd and 2nd round pick is about 3rd-4th depending on the year.

So really Niku is being evaluated as a 3rd-4th round pick tweener here in value. Might be an overvaluation, sure... but maybe not a huge amount.
So, we agree. Got it.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Not really, no.
I think it's within reason to happen.
I think that it could happen as well if the Kraken’s scouts are from the CNIB. Anyhow it is ok to disagree. We will know in a few months.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So did Thorburn but Jets still paid for them to take him.
More accurately, they paid for Vegas to not take Enstrom. Even if Vegas didn't have long-term plans for Enstrom, he would have been able to bring back assets in a subsequent trade. More importantly, they knew Chevy would pay to keep Enstrom, if only out of loyalty to Enstrom for waiving his NMC.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
So, you think the Kraken will take Niku and a 3rd instead of a legit player? Moving up in the 1st round of the draft is much different than taking a guy who can’t make one of the worst D’s in the league and adding a pick with a minute chance of being an impact player in the league, imo. So, where am I wrong?

This is a bit of a hyperbolic claim -- it assumes that a player making or not making one of the league's worst Ds is entirely up to the player. Beaulieu has been a regular on that league-worst D, and on occasion a top-pairing player on it, while being one of the league's worst defenders. The coach runs the bench -- he's not always running it with the greatest efficiency or with a perfectly clear view.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Harkins needs about a dozen games so he can be exposed to Seattle

People keep saying that - and they keep getting corrected. Then someone says it again.

There are 2 completely separate things going on here. Players don't need a number of games to be exposed. But the teams need to expose a minimum number of players at each position who meet certain standards.

So, in this case, Harkins can be exposed regardless of his games played.
But he needs to play about a dozen games for the Jets to be able to use him towards their minimum exposure.

It is the same thing that caused them to give Beaulieu a 2 year contract. He needed to be under contract in order for the Jets to meet the minimum for Dmen.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are wrong that a 3rd rd pick has a minute chance of being an impact player. They have a tiny chance. Very different. I'll give you 3 minutes for 1 tiny. :laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
People keep saying that - and they keep getting corrected. Then someone says it again.

There are 2 completely separate things going on here. Players don't need a number of games to be exposed. But the teams need to expose a minimum number of players at each position who meet certain standards.

So, in this case, Harkins can be exposed regardless of his games played.
But he needs to play about a dozen games for the Jets to be able to use him towards their minimum exposure.

It is the same thing that caused them to give Beaulieu a 2 year contract. He needed to be under contract in order for the Jets to meet the minimum for Dmen.
Ok...wrong terminology, but the concept holds true. We need him to play those games

Swiftt

Jul 3, 2016
Winnipeg
Nathan Smith scored in both NCAA regional playoff games to advance his Minnesota State team to their first ever Frozen Four.
He is the only jets prospect in the tournament after Blaisdell’s UND team was eliminated this weekend.

The Frozen Four starts April 8th.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd bet the Jets try to re-sign 2-3 of Perreault, Lewis and Thompson prior to the XD. Hopefully not all three, we need to get Vesalainen and Gustaffson into the lineup next year.

upload_2021-3-29_8-32-37.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nathan Smith scored in both NCAA regional playoff games to advance his Minnesota State team to their first ever Frozen Four.
He is the only jets prospect in the tournament after Blaisdell’s UND team was eliminated this weekend.

I wonder if we see Smith signed to an elc after his season ends.

Reactions: hn777

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Just an addition that we also had Jared Moe in the tournament, albeit as a backup, and he was also eliminated yesterday in the Minnesota State vs Minnesota game.

Aside, Tyrel Bauer is playing hockey again since the WHL restarted. 2 assists in 4 games and he's captain of the Thunderbirds.

Kraskovsky finished his regular season with 38 points in 56 games. Last season he had a total of 7 points.

Kraskovsky's season also came to an end today after getting eliminated by CSKA. Wonder if there's any interest in bringing him over to play on the Moose for a bit. Not sure of his contract status and what would need to go into bringing him over though.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Just an addition that we also had Jared Moe in the tournament, albeit as a backup, and he was also eliminated yesterday in the Minnesota State vs Minnesota game.

Aside, Tyrel Bauer is playing hockey again since the WHL restarted. 2 assists in 4 games and he's captain of the Thunderbirds.

Kraskovsky finished his regular season with 38 points in 56 games. Last season he had a total of 7 points.

Kraskovsky's season also came to an end today after getting eliminated by CSKA. Wonder if there's any interest in bringing him over to play on the Moose for a bit. Not sure of his contract status and what would need to go into bringing him over though.

Could sign him to an ELC, potentially. Might be a good taxi squad-Moose option.

Reactions: mazmin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Guys, how has Vesalainen been, what do you project him to be at this point?

If you post this on our Manitoba moose board you will get a comprehensive update. He battled some injury but looked very good at the start of the season and good enough to play in the NHL IMO but still on the 4th line for now. By all reports he is putting in the work and getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad