Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Nathan Smith's Minnesota State loses to St Cloud 5-4 with the winner coming in the final minute of the game and Smith's NCAA season is done.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wonder if he becomes a Moose next week.
Wouldn't expect it. Still has 2 years left in school and being that he's a longshot to make it probably wouldn't be wise for him to put all his eggs in the pro hockey basket.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Wouldn't expect it. Still has 2 years left in school and being that he's a longshot to make it probably wouldn't be wise for him to put all his eggs in the pro hockey basket.
Ah for some reason I had it in my head he was a senior.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yep. He's leaving UND to go play somewhere else. Means he will not be playing anywhere next year, he has to sit a year.

I believe that rule is out due to Covid and likely to be gone entirely moving forward. This is why so many NCAA athletes are transferring.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It’s actually crazy what’s going on in the NCAA this year. Just reading on UND it’s like NHL July 1 losing guys who need ice time and picking off seniors from lower seeded teams to play big roles.

Reactions: surixon

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Good to see Smith doing well. He's a very intriguing prospect. I get that he's an overager, but given where he's come from in terms of development that may be less of an advantage than usual, and if he can keep it up he may yet have a shot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Good to see Smith doing well. He's a very intriguing prospect. I get that he's an overager, but given where he's come from in terms of development that may be less of an advantage than usual, and if he can keep it up he may yet have a shot.

Strikes me as a freak athlete type that came to hockey late.

Reactions: MardyBum

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not to mention the Jets have a pretty decent record drafting overagers. Copp, Poolman, Helle, Appleton. Still hopeful with Kovacevic.

Granted there's been misses with overagers as well. Kichton and Lipon come to mind. I think Evingson might have been an overager as well?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not to mention the Jets have a pretty decent record drafting overagers. Copp, Poolman, Helle, Appleton. Still hopeful with Kovacevic.

Granted there's been misses with overagers as well. Kichton and Lipon come to mind. I think Evingson might have been an overager as well?

Agree. And Evingson was also, IIRC.

I've watched quite a lot of Smith over the years, and although he has his warts and isn't yet an all-rounder his skills and vision are very good, and he seems to be one of those players who takes leaps rather than regular smaller steps in his development. Reason to be hopeful there still I think.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Yep, Evingson was an overager. Still, our draft record in later rounds when we draft overagers is ridiculous.

Of course, had we never drafted a single player in the later rounds after drafting Hellebuyck as an overager, we'd still have done better than most.:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yep, Evingson was an overager. Still, our draft record in later rounds when we draft overagers is ridiculous.

Of course, had we never drafted a single player in the later rounds after drafting Hellebuyck as an overager, we'd still have done better than most.:laugh:
Most of the good overage draft picks were from the US system, probably scouted by Max Giese. He's been a big part of the Jets' draft success, I think.

Appleton on the PP isn't such an unusual move... I recall that he was the QB of the PP for his NCAA team at Michigan State.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

You are correct. There were 3 different scouts for those.

Copp, Poolman, Smith, Appleton, Evingson, and Kovacevic were one scout.
Kichton and Lipon was one scout.
Hellebuyck was a funny find by accident when looking to scout another goalie haha.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I did an evaluation of draft value relative to expected given draft position, and it's amazing that most of the draft value is driven by:
1) Selecting early and getting elite talent
2) Getting "lucky" on a goalie late

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I did an evaluation of draft value relative to expected given draft position, and it's amazing that most of the draft value is driven by:
1) Selecting early and getting elite talent
2) Getting "lucky" on a goalie late

What about getting 'lucky' with Dmen late? If you peruse the later picks that panned out it is wildly tilted toward Dmen.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Smith spent an extra year in the USHL after being drafted. He then spent the last 2 years playing @ Minn. State.

He can become a UFA for Aug.15 2022 if he declares he is leaving University hockey after his 3 rd college season next season. (Wheeler did the same thing to Phoenix after 4 year after draft)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Smith spent an extra year in the USHL after being drafted. He then spent the last 2 years playing @ Minn. State.

He can become a UFA for Aug.15 2022 if he declares he is leaving University hockey after his 3 rd college season next season. (Wheeler did the same thing to Phoenix after 4 year after draft)
I imagine losing wheeler is a bigger blow than smith will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->