Confirmed with Link: Jets prospect Arturs Kulda to return to NHL (UPD: signs 1 year/550K deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Interesting. I bet a lot of teams see him as the playoff warrior type.

Boston was fine getting rid of him to make a run for the playoffs... but that doesn't prove anything.

He's a warrior in that he tries hard... but the AHL is filled with guys that try just as hard and are never pulled up for the playoffs (I do think Stuart as better than most of those guys though). Many teams have players like Stuart and they play an important role, but they are always hidden on the third pair whenever possible, where they can be sheltered and manage their minutes. He's similar to 4th line forward, where you use them more for energy minutes than shutdown or offensive.

As a defensemen it's not just how hard you try, but also the results from when you try. I try hard but I suck haha. Stuart isn't very effective as a defnsemen. He has been outshot and outchanced every season of his career, even on as strong of a team as Boston. This is mostly because he's not very effective in his positioning, and knowing when to hit and when to pokecheck; his outlet pass isn't that strong either. He's always been the largest liability in the teams top6 d-core. Although I have to say, he's been better this year than last; I will give props when players deserve them.

I foresee Kulda, Postma, Clitsome and Stuart as bottom pairing D. All but Stuart have second pair upside, but who knows if they ever reach it. May the battle for the bottom pair begin.... FIGHT! mortal combat

Last edited:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I can see Hainsey + a 3rd for a mid-late 1st.

Agreed. Been singing this tune for awhile. And if Enstrom and Kulda are in the mix, I do it all day (especially to a fringe team that would still have a chance to finish outside the playoffs).

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
Interview posted on the Jets' site here. I don't remember seeing him interviewed before. His English is really good. He did say something about the lifestyle in the KHL being 'different'. Can't help but wonder if he likes it better over there, playing less games and being close to home.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Agreed. Been singing this tune for awhile. And if Enstrom and Kulda are in the mix, I do it all day (especially to a fringe team that would still have a chance to finish outside the playoffs).

And we would do exactly what in the Playoffs ourselves? the only way that this deal works is if you are bringing another player of Hainsey's ability in. Which, I am in favour of btw.

On the left hand side that would leave a player with exactly 9 games experience. Is he good? absolutely, but acquiring him does not make Hains expendable. If we traded away Hainsey...we would have Mark Stuart in the top four. Which doesn't jive well with me, tbh.

We could get a late first for Hainsey, alone. Let alone add to it. Considering how tight everything still is, in the West especially...creates a small market. Which drives prices up, small supply...huge demand. Creates bidding wars. Especially since Hainsey has proven to be a pretty reliable defensmen and logged huge minutes for the Jets this season.

Its so easy to down on the guy because he's not super skilled like Toby, not a rockstar like Buff or a beast like Bogo. Hainsey is really one of our only stay at home Dmen, and the idea is to trade him away for a first round pick...for what? Build through the draft?

I'm not sure if you listened to Noel's presser today, but he gave a lot of credit to Hainsey for how well their PK has been producing.

Yet here we are, in 7th and still fighting for the division lead...and you want to trade away a reliable defensemen for picks. Not even a better defensemen. Just picks.

Its the one area of the team that you can never have enough depth at, and the idea would be to leave us with two bottom pairing defensemen handling tough competition on the Left side?

Lets say we get a first for Ron. That first is likely to be between 25-30. There is exactly one player from the 03 draft that has proven to be overly helpful to his organization. Thats corey perry.

Only one other has become a NHL regular, and thats Brian Boyle and he's a fourth line grinder for the rags.

Even if its to a team that is lack defensive depth, and is barely squeaking in...that pick is likely 15-25....Only half of those players proved to be good players.

If we're out of it...I totally agree. Sell him off. Antro too. We could probably get a first or so for him too.

however if we're in, don't you want to give the team the best chance of success as possible?

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Sully - thanks for the thoughtful response but I understand everything at play and I've defended my position on this enough in the trade/free agent thread.

Here's a recap:
- I don't think this team is at a stage in its development where it can let top 4 and top 6/9 players walk for nothing
- I like Hainsey just fine but I don't think he's a difference maker at the margin when we get Enstrom and Kulda playing
- the picks that we acquire could be used as picks or to trade for players that better address our needs/timeline
- my opinion is based on the premise that Hainsey won't re-sign before the deadline

I recognize that these opinions are not shared by most and I'm fine with that. Hainsey is a good stay at home defenseman, but if a guy like Kulda can play 80% of that same shutdown role, I don't know how you turn down a 1st for 10 games (plus playoffs) of the difference between Hainsey and Kulda. It comes down to my valuation of Hainsey versus the alternative.

At this point Lynk probably thinks I have a thing against Hainsey. ;) Not true. I almost got a Hainsey jersey last year.

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
Helloo guys!

Who knows what's up with Kulda making his debute this year?

Coach not satisfied with him in practices?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Sully - thanks for the thoughtful response but I understand everything at play and I've defended my position on this enough in the trade/free agent thread.

Here's a recap:
- I don't think this team is at a stage in its development where it can let top 4 and top 6/9 players walk for nothing
- I like Hainsey just fine but I don't think he's a difference maker at the margin when we get Enstrom and Kulda playing
- the picks that we acquire could be used as picks or to trade for players that better address our needs/timeline
- my opinion is based on the premise that Hainsey won't re-sign before the deadline

I recognize that these opinions are not shared by most and I'm fine with that. Hainsey is a good stay at home defenseman, but if a guy like Kulda can play 80% of that same shutdown role, I don't know how you turn down a 1st for 10 games (plus playoffs) of the difference between Hainsey and Kulda. It comes down to my valuation of Hainsey versus the alternative.

At this point Lynk probably thinks I have a thing against Hainsey. ;) Not true. I almost got a Hainsey jersey last year.

But what if Kulda cannot play to that level? What if there's injuries? Right now we're ramping up for the playoffs for exactly the second time in franchise history. I don't know about anybody else, but I expect this team to have success in The playoffs. I stopped being just happy to have the team back awhile ago... It's time to
Be successful and time to make the moves that will get you there.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Helloo guys!

Who knows what's up with Kulda making his debute this year?

Coach not satisfied with him in practices?

Not a single word. Coach is being absolutely STUPID. We have a useless plug playing every game for some reason and Kulda can't get in. We are very very frustrated here.

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
Not a single word. Coach is being absolutely STUPID. We have a useless plug playing every game for some reason and Kulda can't get in. We are very very frustrated here.

As sully allready mentioned... It's allways safe to have a security blanket going into the playoffs. At least I hope that Kulda wasn't so disappointing in the practices, that coaches decided to go with the current roster.

Keeping my fingers crossed that he'll make his debute allready in the regular season, not just after several injuries (knocking on wood it does not happen) God knows when....

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He'll be qualified for sure. I see him looking for an NHL gig next year, as he probably feels that he's earned it. I don't doubt that, but as a bottom pair D with above average offense, he will have to prove it. The Jets are flush with bottom pair D on the roster right now, with some contracts running out (Meech for one), so it will be interesting to see where he lands.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He'll be qualified for sure. I see him looking for an NHL gig next year, as he probably feels that he's earned it. I don't doubt that, but as a bottom pair D with above average offense, he will have to prove it. The Jets are flush with bottom pair D on the roster right now, with some contracts running out (Meech for one), so it will be interesting to see where he lands.

Ages always throw me just a little. He "might" be eligible for Group VI UFA this year. I am 90% sure that will not be until next season (assuming he does not get to 80 NHL games by then), but it is possible that it is this year. I will confirm.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Sucks we did not get to have a look at Kulda in a game. Really wanted to see where his game was at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad