Confirmed with Link: Jets prospect Arturs Kulda to return to NHL (UPD: signs 1 year/550K deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
As long as high draft pick coming back. I'm not sure Hainsey is worth a high pick but I would like to see best possible asset management if he's dealt. Some team will be desperate enough for blue line experience; Detroit and their risk of missing playoffs first time in two decades is prime candidate)
FWIW, Detroit almost always trades their first round pick.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
FWIW, Detroit almost always trades their first round pick.

Then we should be calling them on Chevy's behalf right the f now.

I know we're just speculating but a 1st rounder for Hainsey?? That seems jaw-droppingly good to me.

My concern is small sample of games b/w now and trade deadline to conclude if Clitsome/Kulda/Meech is suitable replacement for Hainsey. Well, ok, not Meech. Hainsey for 1st rounder is short-term loss/long-term gain but worth it if we are about to win SE division would Chevy do it?? After thinking about this for 3 minutes I hope Chevy does.

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013
For those that are saying Clitsome will be traded........He won't be. He holds zero value. He was a waiver pickup for us last year and his numbers this year are virtually the same as they were when we claimed him.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Because I think they thought that Kulda wasn't 100% ready to be a reliable bottom pairing guy and could use the ice time he would have gotten to develop in St. Johns. I have no doubts about that they maybe have thought that he "wouldn't be good enough" but just wanted to give him more time and go with Jones as the fill-in instead.

But their plan didn't work because Artus left to play in the KHL. They followed his play and when they needed him (like.. now ^^) they called him and he came back.

Makes you wonder if he maybe left the franchise on both sides agreement because he may thought he'd be physical enough to rock the AHL but had some issues on the breakout and other aspects. So he went to the KHL for one season to earn more money and develop what he needed to work on in Europe.

*edit* Jones was obviously a time filler while they looked at what they had.

great... Montoya on IR. No break for Pavs -.- He needs a game off!

I was thinking something similar when they signed Jones. My thoughts were along the lines of;(semicolon? I'm buzzed..) they buy up the Thrashers, and they aren't 100% sure of what they have, and they want to take their time and get to know everyone. So I think a lot of guys might have gotten set back a year because of it. Smart move by TN, but ****** for some guys who were probably ready to be given a chance (Kulda). From what I've read, I'm happy to have him back in the rotation.

Last edited:

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Good points.

I too would be pretty worried if we did trade Hainsey. Kulda is far far from proven even if he does look good in the next 2 weeks. With the injuries out defence gets hit with, I'd be crossing my fingers they could stay healthy - but I wouldn't count on it.

And as I touched on the other day, even if we aren't a contender, we are a team that wants to make the playoffs, gain that experience, go as far as we can, etc. Teams doing so generally do not trade top 4 defenceman. It would have been like Ottawa trading Kuba last trade deadline. Sure the assets can be nice, but, you're destined or running for the playoffs, why trade someone who helped carry such a bulk of the load to get you there. I don't agree with it. Love a good collection of draft picks, but they become overrated. Give me the experience, an extra draft pick or two doesn't compare for a team looking to establish a winning culture.

My brain you read.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I liked Kulda last pre season and for the 9 games he played for us. I had him penciled in our lineup over Jones.

I also was one of the guys who was very upset that Cheveldayoff left him exposed to waivers unnecessarily.

I'm glad that he played well in St. Johns, and good in the KHL, but I'm not expecting him to be able to handle Hainsey's minutes, or match-ups. That would be great if he could, I'm just not going to put those expectations on him yet.

I also don't know if this means that Hainsey is getting traded or not. Or specifically, I don't think adding Kulda means that we don't need Hainsey. But, it does provide Cheveldayoff with another LHD if Hainsey has told Cheveldayoff that he will go to UFA and Cheveldayoff doesn't want to lose him for nothing. But that assumes that the return for Hainsey is worth dealing him, and we don't need to get into that as you guys already had a good Hainsey discussion in the trade thread.

Summary: Glad Kulda is back, liked him before, keeping expectations low (3rd pair), don't think Kulda means Hainsey is gone 100% just that it gives Cheveldayoff breathing room if that's what he wants to do.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Then we should be calling them on Chevy's behalf right the f now.

I know we're just speculating but a 1st rounder for Hainsey?? That seems jaw-droppingly good to me.

My concern is small sample of games b/w now and trade deadline to conclude if Clitsome/Kulda/Meech is suitable replacement for Hainsey. Well, ok, not Meech. Hainsey for 1st rounder is short-term loss/long-term gain but worth it if we are about to win SE division would Chevy do it?? After thinking about this for 3 minutes I hope Chevy does.

A first for Hainsey is a stretch. I was shocked when Kaberle fetched a first a few years ago, but he has an offensive upside. I think at best we could get a second.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
A first for Hainsey is a stretch. I was shocked when Kaberle fetched a first a few years ago, but he has an offensive upside. I think at best we could get a second.

Oduya got a second and a third. Hainseys a better dman then johnny.

Even if chi "overpaid" for oduya, I'd say hainseys better enough to make up that difference.

Honestly, the depth going into the playoff stretch is worth more then a second IMO.

I get not wanting to lose assets, but im not going to lose sleep over the missed opportunity at a late second. if thats all he returns id rather sit tight.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Oduya got a second and a third. Hainseys a better dman then johnny.

Even if chi "overpaid" for oduya, I'd say hainseys better enough to make up that difference.

Honestly, the depth going into the playoff stretch is worth more then a second IMO.

I get not wanting to lose assets, but im not going to lose sleep over the missed opportunity at a late second. if thats all he returns id rather sit tight.

Agree. If it is a 2nd, I still see keeping Hainsey as the better route. To trade off a guy who carried the bulk of your defensive minutes to get you to (or near) the dance, is rather foolish. And let's be serious here, we cannot at this moment rely on Kulda to replace him. Clitsome has shown well per say with Enstrom out, but I am not sold on Grant Clitsome. Stuart and Postma are bottom pairing guys.

This team can likely make the playoffs, and that experience is leaps and bounds more valuable both for the players, organization, fans, establishing a winning culture, etc.. than a 2nd round pick, or the roll of a dice on a player who may not put on a Jets jersey for 3-5 years.

Now, *if* a 1st round pick was offered, it would be enticing, though late 1st round picks can be overrated too. Obviously it's going to come from a likely contender, so that could make it a bottom 5 1st round pick, but, it is a deep draft and it would then give Chevy opportunities such as packaging a 1st with something to get something. Maybe, maybe not.

Honestly, we are close here, we could win the Southeast Division and have home ice. If we are sitting where we are two weeks from now on the brink of the Trade Deadline, possibly depending on other moves Chevy may make, I would be angry if we dealt Hainsey. It is possible Chevy acquires a top 4 defenseman, but at what cost? and is it worth the tradeoff of chemistry and a known commodity that we already have in Hainsey? We are building from within, and we take pride in our prospects and the draft, but there is a line you have to draw in terms of overvaluing that side of the game. How many playoff teams trade a very reliable top 4 defenseman? I'd love to see a few from prior years, but i'm not so sure it's even happened.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't think Chicago thinks they overpaid for Oduya. He's playing well for them. I think it's worth noting that playoff teams seem to like players like Hainsey. It's that mantra that 'defense wins' in the playoffs.

another excellent point. Playoff teams LOVE players like hainsey, i'd argue they are one of the most valuable trade deadline assets.

which is why i think if he does get mvoed, those that are expecting a 2nd as the return may find themselves pleasently surprised.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Pretty sure there was a bidding war last year over Oduya, that will raise the price pretty quick. I also believe the same thing could happen this year with Hainsey.

There's a lot of teams looking to solidify their back end for a playoff run, and there's not a lot of D on the market this year. I could see Hainsey fetching a late first.

jetkarma*

Pretty sure there was a bidding war last year over Oduya, that will raise the price pretty quick. I also believe the same thing could happen this year with Hainsey.

There's a lot of teams looking to solidify their back end for a playoff run, and there's not a lot of D on the market this year. I could see Hainsey fetching a late first.

Chevy set the price last year for Oduya and waited ... as the deadline ticked forward Chicago bit.

Chevy had said that another GM told him he wouldn't get that for him and called him after the trade to give him kudos .

If WPG. is thinking of moving Hainsey I think the same scenario unfolds , he has his price in mind and waits ... maybe with the dearth of available dmen , some sense of bid war happens , but I believe he sets his price and sees who bites.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I think we may be overplaying the significance of Kulda's signing on a potential Hainsey trade. IMO the bigger factor in making Hainsey expendable is Clitsome's chemistry with Buff. As good as Enstrom and Buff are together, they now have the flexibility to go with Enstrom and Bogo as the top pairing, Buff and Clitsome as the second, and hopefully reunite Enstrom and Buff on the top PP unit (I'm sick of Jokinen on the PP). Kulda just gives them the depth to cover for injuries after a Hainsey trade, not necessarily as a direct replacement.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
A possible list of teams interested could be Anaheim, St. Louis, Detroit, Los Angeles and Ottawa. If Philly is in the playoff picture, they immediately become a candidate as well although if the JETS are still in the thick of things and are getting solid offers for Hainsey, it's more likely he gets dealt out of conference.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Looking forward to seeing Arty dress for a game:

If he can play a defensively sound game he will add some nice truculence.

I know he isn't a fighter, but he will drop em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad