Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Heinola has been great in Finland this season, much better than last season, seems more motivated, happy etc.

He has said his aim is to get an NHL spot, and I don't doubt it at all. He will get it if the moon & the stars are even somewhat aligned according to Maurice

Vesalainen has been ok, but not great. Everything is not right with him, motivation problems...? Well, still better than last season in the AHL

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Stastny Wheeler
Harkins Copp Roslovic
Perreault Lowry Appleton
Thompson

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Heinola Poolman
Forbert Niku
Beaulieu
Pretty much this...

However, I suspect we'll see lines more similar to last year, so...

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Copp Lowry Roslovic
Perreault Harkins Appleton

And I still think Heinola will be left to play in Liiga.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Heinola has been great in Finland this season, much better than last season, seems more motivated, happy etc.

He has said his aim is to get an NHL spot, and I don't doubt it at all. He will get it if the moon & the stars are even somewhat aligned according to Maurice

Vesalainen has been ok, but not great. Everything is not right with him, motivation problems...? Well, still better than last season in the AHL
from what i've heard, maurice was pushing to keep heinola last year. wasn't his choice to send him down. but yes, heinola has been great this year from all accounts.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Pretty much this...

However, I suspect we'll see lines more similar to last year, so...

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Copp Lowry Roslovic
Perreault Harkins Appleton

And I still think Heinola will be left to play in Liiga.

I don’t dislike those lines.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He can play both wings effectively.
If he makes the team, I am betting it is at LW. Besides, Copper is more than adequate at RW.
I think Gus will really make the management think hard before cutting him.
Are BC and MB going to be able to host games? TC?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

If he is much better than last year, then he’s more than ready now. I thought he should have stayed last year. He really impressed me in the games he played last year. Gave us that great outlet pass we need.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What i would like to see:

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Conner Stastney Wheeler
Copp Lowry Vesalainen
Harkins Roslovic Appelton

JoMo DeMelo
Samberg Pionk
Forbert Poolman/Beau

What I expect to see:

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastney Laine
Copp Lowry Roslovic
Perrault Thompson Appelton

JoMo DeMelo
Forbert Pionk
Beau Poolman

Bolded is exactly what I expect to see as well. Harkins first man up on forwards and Samberg (hopefully) for defense. Heinola and Perfetti slide a year.

For special teams I expect to see:

PP1: Laine, Scheifele, Wheeler, Pionk Statsny
PP2: Connor, Ehlers, Rosie, JoMo, Frenchie

PK1: Lowry, Copp, JoMo, DeMelo
PK2: Thompson, Appleton, Beau, Poolman
PK3: Statsny, Wheeler/Connor, JoMo, DeMelo

Reactions: surixon

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Heinola is in Edmonton WJC until Jan 6th...... all ready in Canada..... Does training camp with Jets

Hopefully they negotiate an expanded roster for at least the first month..... due to covid and shortened TC...... keep Heinola around and see how he does....

My first choice is to let his ELC year to slide and have him mature physically more....... it's only a half year and we have good defensive depth this year..... this will also separate Sam-Berg and Heinola on negotiating by 1 year our future LD be hind Morressey. (I believe both Sam-Berg /Heinola have RD experience while shooting left)

I believe Sam-Berg will outplay Heinola in TC and will make the decision for us...... Heinola back to Finland or AHL in Feb ( if it starts up) sliding his 3 year ELC to next season.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I haven’t seen Samberg play yet, but him and Heinola sound like they are apples and oranges. Big solid defenseman vs a smaller more intelligent puck mover.

I want it all!!! :)

Reactions: ocdaddy

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With zero exhibition games its going to be tough for any young player to make a statement.

Given no time for experimentation I expect most coaches to go with what they are familiar with.

Reactions: DashingDane

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
With zero exhibition games its going to be tough for any young player to make a statement.

Given no time for experimentation I expect most coaches to go with what they are familiar with.
But Fobert has never played for Jets so how can we say that he is familiar with him?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But Fobert has never played for Jets so how can we say that he is familiar with him?

@leer2006 covered it. Forbert is an NHL vet with a track record of playing in an NHL top 4 role. Those are things Moe has continually shown that he places a lot of emphasis on when making lineup decisions.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
@leer2006 covered it. Forbert is an NHL vet with a track record of playing in an NHL top 4 role. Those are things Moe has continually shown that he places a lot of emphasis on when making lineup decisions.

Has he though? He’s iced one of the youngest teams in the NHL over his time in Winnipeg and puts young players in important positions regularly. I’m not sure what else he could do to prove he likes youth apart from having an entire team that’s <25.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Has he though? He’s iced one of the youngest teams in the NHL over his time in Winnipeg and puts young players in important positions regularly. I’m not sure what else he could do to prove he likes youth apart from having an entire team that’s <25.

All I'm saying is that its a weird tc with no preseason games and a very shortened year.

Most coaches will be conservative and go with proven quantity in such a situation as there is little margin for error this year.

Maurice is fine playing young players In advanced roles but seems to like to default to vets to round out his roster. The Jets are deeper now then they were when the kids came in. There aren't any advanced roles for the kids to claim says the second pairing LD slot.

Maurice likely goes with the JoMo - DeMelo and the Beau - Poolman pairings as they were effective to end the year which leaves one slot open next to Pionk. He isnt going to be able to trial players in that role in camp like he normally would so he likely defaults to the more experienced player.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
All I'm saying is that its a weird tc with no preseason games and a very shortened year.

Most coaches will be conservative and go with proven quantity in such a situation as there is little margin for error this year.

Maurice is fine playing young players In advanced roles but seems to like to default to vets to round out his roster. The Jets are deeper now then they were when the kids came in. There aren't any advanced roles for the kids to claim says the second pairing LD slot.

Maurice likely goes with the JoMo - DeMelo and the Beau - Poolman pairings as they were effective to end the year which leaves one slot open next to Pionk. He isnt going to be able to trial players in that role in camp like he normally would so he likely defaults to the more experienced player.

That’s reasonable. I’d agree that Maurice will default to the veteran if their performance is close in his view but he gives opportunity if it’s earned. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Samberg in the opening night lineup. He seems like a Maurice type player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That’s reasonable. I’d agree that Maurice will default to the veteran if their performance is close in his view but he gives opportunity if it’s earned. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Samberg in the opening night lineup. He seems like a Maurice type player.

I wouldnt be either but I suspect he may have to wait for an injury to force his way in similarly to Conner.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think the biggest potential for a lineup change is actually JMo getting bumped to 2D and Forbort-DeMelo being our top pairing... that would be a total Maurice move

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If the rumors that Maurice didn't want to send Heinola down, then isn't there a strong chance he'll make it considering that as everyone says Maurice likes him, he likes familiar players and he is very familiar with Heinola's work after those 7 games?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If the rumors that Maurice didn't want to send Heinola down, then isn't there a strong chance he'll make it considering that as everyone says Maurice likes him, he likes familiar players and he is very familiar with Heinola's work after those 7 games?

It will be a Chevy decision and will likely be impacted more so by contract and development factors.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It sounds like they are already being forced to move a big contract in Laine soon so will money be as tight?

What i meant by contracts is that from a cap flexibility stand point it is incredibly beneficial for the org to let both Perfetti and Heionla's elc's slide another year.

It ensures that the Jets will have their two most promising prospects on their entry level deals for the duration of the Scheifele, Helle, Wheeler contracts I.e our cup window. This gives the org significant cap flexibility and as such a better chance to win if both players develop as expected.

It is incredibly beneficial to have a top 4 dmen and top 6 center on their ELC while trying to win especially with how favorable the Scheifele, Eheles, Helle etc deals are. Factor in a flat cap for another 3 to 4 years as well and its even more important to optimize the use of ELCs.

Edit:

Where ate you hearing the info on needing to move out money vis a vis Laine?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What i meant by contracts is that from a cap flexibility stand point it is incredibly beneficial for the org to let both Perfetti and Heionla's elc's slide another year.

It ensures that the Jets will have their two most promising prospects on their entry level deals for the duration of the Scheifele, Helle, Wheeler contracts I.e our cup window. This gives the org significant cap flexibility and as such a better chance to win if both players develop as expected.

It is incredibly beneficial to have a top 4 dmen and top 6 center on their ELC while trying to win especially with how favorable the Scheifele, Eheles, Helle etc deals are. Factor in a flat cap for another 3 to 4 years as well and its even more important to optimize the use of ELCs.

Edit:

Where ate you hearing the info on needing to move out money vis a vis Laine?
That’s two questions. First, where did I hear that Laine might want out and has had his agent suggest a trade would be beneficial? On here of course.
Second where did I hear that moving Laine out will save the Jets money? That’s pure speculation on me.
If our window is now I imagine their would be a rush to have best team even if not optimal for player development.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Bolded is exactly what I expect to see as well. Harkins first man up on forwards and Samberg (hopefully) for defense. Heinola and Perfetti slide a year.

For special teams I expect to see:

PP1: Laine, Scheifele, Wheeler, Pionk Statsny
PP2: Connor, Ehlers, Rosie, JoMo, Frenchie

PK1: Lowry, Copp, JoMo, DeMelo
PK2: Thompson, Appleton, Beau, Poolman
PK3: Statsny, Wheeler/Connor, JoMo, DeMelo
I hope you're right on the defense for our PK. Reminder that Morrissey was our 7th most used defenseman last season on the penalty kill, despite having the best results. Also Wheeler was the 2nd worst forward in the entire league on the PK and Connor was awful as well based on goals against per 60 minutes. Neither of them should be on the ice when we're on the penalty kill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad