Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That’s two questions. First, where did I hear that Laine might want out and has had his agent suggest a trade would be beneficial? On here of course.
Second where did I hear that moving Laine out will save the Jets money? That’s pure speculation on me.
If our window is now I imagine their would be a rush to have best team even if not optimal for player development.

Its possible, this is just such a bizarre year where the org is likely going to be trying to juggle a number of competing priorities.

If this was a full season without COVID I would peg both Samberg and Heinola's chances of cracking the lineup as pretty good.

But we are going to be playing a shortened year that will likely be pretty disruptive on a number of fronts.

Is the AHL Going to go or will there need to be a taxi squad. That will play be a big factor in roster composition.

From a development standpoint Heinola is in a pretty good spot playing big minutes in all situations on a good team in the Liga. Is it more beneficial to leave him there or have him rotate in and out of the lineup with Samberg for instance.

If the AHL doesn't go then you need to balance Samberg vs. Heinola's development. Since Heinola is already in a great spot they likely leave him in Finland to get Samberg the minutes.

So many moving parts this year, should be interesting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hope you're right on the defense for our PK. Reminder that Morrissey was our 7th most used defenseman last season on the penalty kill, despite having the best results. Also Wheeler was the 2nd worst forward in the entire league on the PK and Connor was awful as well based on goals against per 60 minutes. Neither of them should be on the ice when we're on the penalty kill.

I am wondering if Morrissey was injured most of the year and that was the reason why he wasn't used that much. He was a mainstay on the PK the prior three seasons.

Having said that I dont think Maurice has much of a clue on how to devise and run an effective PK. Hopefully that task is passed on to Lowry and he has full autonomy to do what he deems necessary.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I am wondering if Morrissey was injured most of the year and that was the reason why he wasn't used that much. He was a mainstay on the PK the prior three seasons.

Having said that I dont think Maurice has much of a clue on how to devise and run an effective PK. Hopefully that task is passed on to Lowry and he has full autonomy to do what he deems necessary.

That would be good to see. Possible that Lowry's playing and coaching pedigree and org clout buy him a bit more latitude than perhaps previous assistants have had.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I agree with this reasoning. If Morrissey was playing hurt, risking aggravating that injury and being out long term would basically sewer the season with the condition of the blue line.

Reactions: surixon

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am pumped to see if Harkins has taken another big step! There hasn't been a Jets prospect like this that has gone from someone I basically gave up on to suddenly becoming a legitimate promising prospect.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Wasn't sure this was thread worthy so I will ask it here . With the ECHL already in action, does anyone know if the Jets/Moose have an option to assign waiver exempt players to Jacksonville?. For example, rather than have Vesalainen wait until Jan 3 to join the Jets camp (or until feb to join the AHL), are they allowed to assign him to the ECHL to get some extra game action in?

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Guarantee Niku plays enough games to qualify for exposure in the upcoming Kraken dispersal draft! Wouldn't surprise me if the Jets leave Heinola in Europe this season!

Reactions: WolfHouse

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Guarantee Niku plays enough games to qualify for exposure in the upcoming Kraken dispersal draft! Wouldn't surprise me if the Jets leave Heinola in Europe this season!
Doubt anyone's going back to Europe this year. Jets/Moose bubble is probably their best bet for games.

Reactions: nhlpro

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Morrissey wasn't playing hurt; he was playing not to get hurt.

Specific coaching from Adam Oates, or so they say.

Ya I remember a few years ago J moe had like 10 hits in a game, last year he didn't even try to make a hit at all:( I hope we get a more tough physical Morrissey with his added bulk as he mentioned and it would take his game to another level!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Yeah I don't see any way Heinola is a Jet this year for that reason alone...

Our right side is so thin that you'd think Niku gets a real look

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ya I remember a few years ago J moe had like 10 hits in a game, last year he didn't even try to make a hit at all:( I hope we get a more tough physical Morrissey with his added bulk as he mentioned and it would take his game to another level!

He was throwing hits before missing those games early in the year. After coming back he played largely passive physically, my guess is that he aggrevated his shoulder early in the year and was guarding against it the rest of the year.

Hopefully itnisn100% healed now and he's comfortable and confident to get back to playing with a chip on his shoulder. It has always been a fairly big part of his game.

Reactions: nhlpro

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Ehlers, Stastny, Laine
Connor, Schiefele, Wheeler
Harkins, Perfetti, Roslovic
Copp, Lowry, Appleton
Thompson, Perreault

Morrisey, Demelo
Forbert, Pionk
Samberg, Poolman
Beaulieu, Hamonic

Helleybuyk
Brossoit

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ehlers, Stastny, Laine
Copp, Lowry, Appleton
Thompson, Perreault

Morrisey, Demelo
Forbert, Pionk
Samberg, Poolman
Beaulieu, Hamonic

Helleybuyk
Brossoit
If they are goin to swing for Harmonic they better do it soon as hopefully nhl season starts. I can see harmonic taking season off to be with family.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Ehlers, Stastny, Laine
Copp, Lowry, Appleton
Thompson, Perreault

Morrisey, Demelo
Forbert, Pionk
Samberg, Poolman
Beaulieu, Hamonic

Helleybuyk
Brossoit
That would depend if there is an AHL season or not.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I am pumped to see if Harkins has taken another big step! There hasn't been a Jets prospect like this that has gone from someone I basically gave up on to suddenly becoming a legitimate promising prospect.
Promising what? Great 3rd line center?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If they are goin to swing for Harmonic they better do it soon as hopefully nhl season starts. I can see harmonic taking season off to be with family.
I don't think there is any type of swing for Hamonic. He was unwilling to play in a protected bubble maybe the safest place in NA in fears of risking his daughter's health because of her lung condition, why would you think he would be willing to crisscross Canada at the height of a Pandemic exposing her to far greater risk?

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I don't think there is any type of swing for Hamonic. He was unwilling to play in a protected bubble maybe the safest place in NA in fears of risking his daughter's health because of her lung condition, why would you think he would be willing to crisscross Canada at the height of a Pandemic exposing her to far greater risk?
He will wait another season. Didn’t know those details. Maybe take a shot at Vatanen?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Harkins-Lowry-Copp
Perreault-Thompson-Appleton

Morrissey-De Melo
Forbort-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Taxi squad:
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Reichel
Toninato-Suess-Dano

Sbisa-Niku
Samberg-Kovacevic (I can see Samberg in either bottom pairing spot)

Comrie

Roslovic traded for draft picks, or with a surplus defenseman for a defenseman.

Perfetti perhaps get a spot if a player like Dano is unable to go, should be kept around the team for awhile.

Logan Stanley, Nelson Nogier, Luke Green, and Declan Chisholm optioned to ECHL, or whatever league is running.

I don't expect many young players to crack the roster off the hop. It's going to be straight into battle, and the learning curve is thin with a shortened and highly competitive season, as each game will be meaningful.

If I were guessing role playing units I'd say Lowry-Copp, Thompson-Appleton are your 2 PK units. Stastny alternates in, maybe with KC.

Forbort-De Melo as PK1, Beau-Poolman as PK2, and Morrissey alternating in.

Samberg is going to have to work his way into the lineup, as will Perfetti, but an expanded roster offers more practice time with the team.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Ehlers, Stastny, Laine
Copp, Lowry, Appleton
Thompson, Perreault

Morrisey, Demelo
Forbert, Pionk
Samberg, Poolman
Beaulieu, Hamonic

Helleybuyk
Brossoit

Looks pretty good to me
I like the order of the top two lines but we all know CSW will get all the minutes (and Scheif does deserve most of them)
Also if we have Hamonic there's no way Poolman is playing over him.
Perfetti might only last a few games, then maybe Copp takes over C duties

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Ehlers, Stastny, Laine
Harkins, Copp, Roslovic
Perreault, Lowry, Appleton
(Thompson)

Morrisey, Demelo
Forbert, Pionk
Samberg, Poolman
(Beaulieu, Niku)

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

* Assuming Heinola stays in Finland
* Assuming Perfetti has a full-contact league to play in

Against more physical teams I wouldn’t mind Thompson getting some games from Perreault and playing alongside Lowry as a second wrecking ball. A low minutes, high energy, hit everything hard - kind of line. I haven’t seen that from the Jets in many years. Even though Tanev was a bit of a mosquito, him and Lowry caused a lot of havoc. Perreault tries to play that game, but it doesn’t work out most of the time.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd personally like to see how the D we currently have shakes out. Make or break seasons for Niku and Poolman, good opportunity for Samberg and Heinola to play their way onto the team. Pionk with a chance to show that last season wasn't a fluke (especially with his poor play in the play in), and finally Forbort - how much of his play was Doughty, can he recover from significant injury, and will he find chemistry with his partner.

Obviously our D is a mish mash right now but we've seen some pretty great D corps borne out of unlikely groups of varied skillsets. It'll be interesting to watch, especially with Lowry's coaching influence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad