Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Starting the game after tonight we go with this lineup for the rest of the season!!!!!

KC Scheif Ehlers
Perfetti PLD Wheeler
Copper Stastny Apples
Harkins Lowry MP
Gus

JMo DD
Heinola Poink
Stan the Man/Slamberg Poolman/Forbort

Helle LB

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Maurice now has some ridiculously good options for his forward combinations, both this season and into the future.

A few thoughts...

Copp-Ehlers has been a ridiculously good combination.

Perreault-Lowry has looked very good.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler struggled last game, but were strong in the games before that.

PLD is really, really good at driving offense.

Option 1 (the status quo edition)..

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Stastny-PLD-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Harkins-Lewis

Maurice keeps his shutdown 3rd line and CSW, while PLD gets a couple of creative linemates. Stastny and PLD can interchange at C. I'm not that worried about Stastny's pace on the wing with Ehlers and PLD supplying the pace and pressure.

Option 2... (Copp is good, let's try depth)

Harkins-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-PLD-Appleton
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Lewis

Basically organized around pairs, while keeping the Jets best line this season together (Copp-Stastny-Ehlers), and evening out the talent in other lines.

If we’re talking about next season, I think we see Perfetti somewhere in the middle six on the left side. If you resign statsny, you run him, PLD and Scheif down the middle. Connor, copp, Perfetti on the left side. And Wheeler, Ehlers and a free agent (an armia type)on the right. I don’t think you could come up with a bad combination with those top 9.

Reactions: Finster8

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I guess I missed the point of the taxi squad... I really thought it was to cycle guys through the lineup during heavy schedule times - like back to backs or five games in 7 nights

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If we’re talking about next season, I think we see Perfetti somewhere in the middle six on the left side. If you resign statsny, you run him, PLD and Scheif down the middle. Connor, copp, Perfetti on the left side. And Wheeler, Ehlers and a free agent (an armia type)on the right. I don’t think you could come up with a bad combination with those top 9.
I hope the Jets go after Armia this off-season, especially if Hamilton doesn’t want to play in Canada. Armia makes our PK better. Then re-sign Lowry and Copper. Lines next season:

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Perfetti PLD Ehlers
Copp Lowry Armia
Vesalainen Gustafsson Harkins

Lose Appleton to Seattle. My one concern with this lineup is I’m not sure Perfetti is gonna have the skating to keep up with PLD and Ehlers. If he struggles, I’d move Harkins into that spot.

Reactions: DashingDane

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I guess I missed the point of the taxi squad... I really thought it was to cycle guys through the lineup during heavy schedule times - like back to backs or five games in 7 nights

So far it has been a way to cycle players in, with injury, trade, and Covid affecting the roster . If you look at it Stanley, Heinola, Vesalainen and Gustafsson have all progressed through the taxi squad this year. With defensemen I don't think you want to change up the dynamic every other game. Maurice is evidently trying to build chemistry, and we've been in the hunt for points every game, though less than fluid, so it's a work in progress. Not expecting huge changes on the defense. We are in better shape last year if we bring players like Heinola and Samberg in as injury reserves, that's for sure.

The one player who I think could profit the most, early in the season, is Gustafsson. Thompson was ineffective. Now he's injured. Like with Poolman going down, giving Stanley a chance, I think this could be Gustafsson's chance to take a roster spot, and not give it up. In fact it would be quite popular among the fanbase if he relegated Thompson to the taxi squad, when he comes off IR (though that would require waivers).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I hope the Jets go after Armia this off-season, especially if Hamilton doesn’t want to play in Canada. Armia makes our PK better. Then re-sign Lowry and Copper. Lines next season:

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Perfetti PLD Ehlers
Copp Lowry Armia
Vesalainen Gustafsson Harkins

Lose Appleton to Seattle. My one concern with this lineup is I’m not sure Perfetti is gonna have the skating to keep up with PLD and Ehlers. If he struggles, I’d move Harkins into that spot.
Not sure Armia brings anything harkins or apple don’t.

Jets88

Jul 1, 2016
With the way the 2nd line has been playing, when Dubois comes in, I’d consider trying Scheifele on the wing temporarily.

Connor - Dubois - Scheifele
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Appleton - Lowry - Wheeler
Perreault - Gustafson - Harkins

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Everyone, the Jets are in a really good cap situation going forward after the Laine trade. They also have a good situation for the expansion draft, with only Harkins, Appleton, or Stanley at risk (Scheifele, PLD, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Copp, Lowry, Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo, Hellebuyck).

Here's a projected line-up for next season with the following assumptions:

- re-sign Stastny ($4M x 2 years): The Jets have a lot of C depth, but Stastny fits so well with this group and as the Jets have discovered, you can't have too much C depth. I'm fairly confident that Stastny can adapt to a role on the wing, too.

- re-sign Pionk ($4.5M x 4 years): That might be a bit rich for Pionk, but he's a solid RHD and the Jets don't have many options in the pipeline. I think the Jets might even go up a bit on this, as long as the term isn't too long.

- re-sign Copp and Lowry ($4M x 4-5 years each): There has been a lot of question marks about their value as "3rd liners" with limited offense, but I see them as very important cogs in a line-up that lacks strong defensive forwards that are hard to play against. I think we are seeing that both can adapt to play with more offensive players and chip in a bit of offense. They aren't top level players, but I see them as important core pieces on a team that will always struggle to get the best free agents to fill the bottom-6 roles. I noted that Maurice recently indicated that he plans to try on RW, which gives the Jets a whole bunch of good options going forward.

- re-sign Poolman ($1.5M x 2 years): The Jets will have the the cap space to hunt for another good RHD (like Savard, or maybe a higher level), but I think that Poolman is an adequate 3rd pair RD alongside either Samberg or Heinola. Beaulieu is retained as depth. Niku is in limbo - maybe traded, maybe depth.

- re-sign Logan Stanley ($900K x 2 years): He's at least a depth D. I think he'll be targeted by Seattle in the expansion draft, but if not I think he will have a role at the bottom end of the D roster.

A wild card might be Perreault. If he continues to play like he has so far this season, he might be worth a flyer at around $1.5-2M per season, especially since the Jets could lose either Appleton or Harkins in the expansion draft.

Here is a projected line-up - strong top to bottom, with intriguing special teams.

upload_2021-1-27_10-14-42.png

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Connor - Dubois - Wheeler
Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perreault - Stastny - Appleton
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Connor-Dubois-Vesalainen
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

“4th line” shuts down other team’s top line, and one of the scoring lines is guaranteed to feast on lesser competition.

Reactions: Nedarb

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Spreading out the talent makes too much sense, but would be shocked if they did it. Chevy in his press conference went out of his way to say Stastny could play on the wing.

We have been saying spread out the talent since we got good and it hasn't happened.

Murat Ates went on a podcast over the weekend and said in the modern NHL you should think about pairs to spread out your offensive talent. And he is right in my opinion, it is too bad the Jets don't.

We should be able to get some insane mismatches if Lowry can take on a #1 line night in night out.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Spreading out the talent makes too much sense, but would be shocked if they did it. Chevy in his press conference went out of his way to say Stastny could play on the wing.

We have been saying spread out the talent since we got good and it hasn't happened.

Murat Ates went on a podcast over the weekend and said in the modern NHL you should think about pairs to spread out your offensive talent. And he is right in my opinion, it is too bad the Jets don't.

We should be able to get some insane mismatches if Lowry can take on a #1 line night in night out.

Spread out your offensive talent...like by putting two point per game players on the 3rd line in Lowry and Copp?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Everyone, the Jets are in a really good cap situation going forward after the Laine trade. They also have a good situation for the expansion draft, with only Harkins, Appleton, or Stanley at risk (Scheifele, PLD, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Copp, Lowry, Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo, Hellebuyck).

- re-sign Stastny ($4M x 2 years): The Jets have a lot of C depth, but Stastny fits so well with this group and as the Jets have discovered, you can't have too much C depth. I'm fairly confident that Stastny can adapt to a role on the wing, too.

- re-sign Pionk ($4.5M x 4 years): That might be a bit rich for Pionk, but he's a solid RHD and the Jets don't have many options in the pipeline. I think the Jets might even go up a bit on this, as long as the term isn't too long.

- re-sign Copp and Lowry ($4M x 4-5 years each): There has been a lot of question marks about their value as "3rd liners" with limited offense, but I see them as very important cogs in a line-up that lacks strong defensive forwards that are hard to play against. I think we are seeing that both can adapt to play with more offensive players and chip in a bit of offense. They aren't top level players, but I see them as important core pieces on a team that will always struggle to get the best free agents to fill the bottom-6 roles. I noted that Maurice recently indicated that he plans to try on RW, which gives the Jets a whole bunch of good options going forward.

- re-sign Poolman ($1.5M x 2 years): The Jets will have the the cap space to hunt for another good RHD (like Savard, or maybe a higher level), but I think that Poolman is an adequate 3rd pair RD alongside either Samberg or Heinola. Beaulieu is retained as depth. Niku is in limbo - maybe traded, maybe depth.

- re-sign Logan Stanley ($900K x 2 years): He's at least a depth D. I think he'll be targeted by Seattle in the expansion draft, but if not I think he will have a role at the bottom end of the D roster.

A wild card might be Perreault. If he continues to play like he has so far this season, he might be worth a flyer at around $1.5-2M per season, especially since the Jets could lose either Appleton or Harkins in the expansion draft.

Here is a projected line-up - strong top to bottom, with intriguing special teams.

I like this Whileee. If we can get Copp and Lowry signed for something that works, I'm all for it. Same for Stastny. Adding PLD and keeping Stastny (to go along with Scheif, Lowry, and Copp), gives much more centre depth in case of injury, etc.

The good part too is looking at your numbers there is space there to extend PLD after next season as well. Plus, if the Jets decided they didn't want to extend Pionk, there is enough space to pick up another top 4 RHD (if one is available).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not worried yet about where to play PLD or changing lines. Players and lines get hot then cool off all the time, not even worried this far away from when PLD will play......by the time he can play, he will have to get back into game shape to some degree.........by then who knows the 2nd line might of cooled off and the top line will be hot......but it's a great problem to have.......lose Laine and don't even notice he's gone and we still have one of the best young centres in the league about to start playing on our team. Good times

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

And what happens with the defense? Resign statsny and not look for a top pair?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
And what happens with the defense? Resign statsny and not look for a top pair?

Call me crazy, but I don't make any major acquisitions on defense next year. Most of our D-men are still on their entry-level contracts, they're going to get better. Other than Savard or Barrie, I don't see anyone who would even make sense to scoop in UFA anyway.

Morrissey - Heinola
Samberg - Pionk
Stanley- Poolman/Forbort
Beaulieu/Niku

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

View attachment 389013

I would be very wary of giving those contracts to Copp and esp Lowry. Lowry has been up and down play and also has a lot heavy minutes on him. Those contracts could easily become albatrosses.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Connor-Dubois-Vesalainen
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

“4th line” shuts down other team’s top line, and one of the scoring lines is guaranteed to feast on lesser competition.

If the 4th line plays 16-18 minutes against the other teams top line how is the remainder of the ice time going to go for the other three lines?

Reactions: Heldig

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If the 4th line plays 16-18 minutes against the other teams top line how is the remainder of the ice time going to go for the other three lines?

You don't put the 4th line against top line every time

JetsJets

Jul 8, 2014
Everyone, the Jets are in a really good cap situation going forward after the Laine trade. They also have a good situation for the expansion draft, with only Harkins, Appleton, or Stanley at risk (Scheifele, PLD, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Copp, Lowry, Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo, Hellebuyck)....
View attachment 389013

Excellent insights, and very plausible – Stastny and Perreault seem to bring so much intangibly to this squad as well.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Maurice doesn't do this sort of thing, but I wouldn't be afraid of a "young" pairing, say Poolman-Heinola or one of Stanley, Samberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad