Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Mo is going to run three lines - a meteor has not struck the earth...
CSW
Ehlers-PLD-Stats
Copp-Lowry-Perrault
And six minutes...

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Connor- Scheifele - Wheeler
Copp - Dubois - Ehlers
Harkins - Stastny - Appleton/Vesalainen
Perreault - Lowry - Lewis

I think you leave Copp on the top 6 until you have reason to push him down (after 2-3 games if his production slides)

Last edited:
Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
Would love seeing this for at least a couple games.. always can load the top 6 back up if we need a goal.

Harkins scheifele wheeler
Copp Dubois ehlers
Connor statsny Perrault
Lewis Lowry Appleton

Morrisey heinola
Forbort Pionk
Stanley Demelo

Really think we need to leave statsny playing C. I like that depth down the middle, why mess with it.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Copp represents something our top 6 needs badly.

I'd love to see Copp / Dubois / Ehlers act as the tough matchup and de facto #1 line while giving Connor / Schief / Wheeler soft matchups so they can take advantage offensively and leave the defense to others (since that's the way they seem to want to play anyway).

I believe having Stastny on a wing might be a waste; guys capable of anchoring lines have value. Bottom 6 we can run all kinds of good combos, like Harkins / Stastny / Vesalainen, with Perreault / Lowry / Appleton as a 4th.

To me a setup like that seems like 1A/1B/3A/3B and if we feel like Lowry is "wasted" so low in the lineup, all the better.

Edit: I won't even mention what I expect to see, but it's not this...

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I really like the size that our forward lineup is playing with. I really like having guys like Vesalainen, Harkins, Gus in the bottom six/4th line. Even Appleton is a pretty good size that will be even stronger in a year or two.

We still need to find a way to get a bit more size on the back end. That will be a work in progress.

But I think we are getting closer to having a lineup that is built for playoff success than the past couple of seasons

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Same...

I'd love to see something like this:
Copp - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Harkins - Stastny - Appleton
Perreault - Lowry - Lewis

Each line gets some defensive acumen and some scoring talent.

But that would effectively make PLD the #1C, and I don't see Mo going that route.
In my ideal world...

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Dubois - Wheeler
Perfetti - Stastny - Appleton
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I really like the size that our forward lineup is playing with. I really like having guys like Vesalainen, Harkins, Gus in the bottom six/4th line. Even Appleton is a pretty good size that will be even stronger in a year or two.

We still need to find a way to get a bit more size on the back end. That will be a work in progress.

But I think we are getting closer to having a lineup that is built for playoff success than the past couple of seasons
I think they need to figure out how to be competent in the regular season before they need to fixate on the playoffs.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Any guesses on PP? Maybe a lefty focused one of

Scheifele-PLD-Connor
Heinola-Ehlers

Copp-Stastny-Wheeler
Morrissey-Pionk?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think they need to figure out how to be competent in the regular season before they need to fixate on the playoffs.

I have a feeling based on how they look so far this year that we will be alright. Our defense is still very underwhelming personnel-wise.

Built for regular season success and built from post season success can be different things imo. I like the direction we are heading, as much as it sucks to see Laine go.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What I'd like to see (at least tried for a bit...)

Connor - Scheif - Harkins
Copp - PLD - Ehlers
MP - Stastny - Wheeler
Lewis - Lowry - Appleton
Gus

Or:

Connor - Scheif - Harkins
Copp - PLD - Ehlers
Stastny - Lowry - Wheeler
MP - Gus- Appleton
Lewis

The top 3 lines all have a good C, a scoring W, and a W that can hopefully provide some defense and some effort in the corners and boards.

And if they're behind in the 3rd they can stack the 1st 2 lines.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that this happens (Scheif and Wheeler, etc.), but I think the playstyles of Stas and Wheeler could fit together as well.

Reactions: Nedarb

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Connor - Scheif - Wheeler
Stastny - PLD - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Harkins - Thompson - MP

That's a tough forward group to play against and we have some good replacement parts.

Morrissey - Demelo
Heinola - Pionk
Stanley - Beaulieu/Poolman

Not so bad and should improve with time.

I think that we can do some damage with this lineup once we get some reps in!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Stastny - PLD - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Harkins - Thompson - MP

That's a tough forward group to play against and we have some good replacement parts.

Morrissey - Demelo
Heinola - Pionk
Stanley - Beaulieu/Poolman

Not so bad and should improve with time.

I think that we can do some damage with this lineup once we get some reps in!

Forbort has been our best PKer to start, so it seems unlikely that Heinola will replace him. In fact we need other guys to step up on the PK. I'm hoping Stanley takes that role. I'd like to see Forbort-De Melo as the top unit, with Stanley-Beaulieu as #2, and Morrissey and Pionk in replacement roles, as the 2 most important puck movers on the team, but based on TC I would be surprised if it were Beaulieu-De Melo as #1, and Forbort-Poolman as #2 in the near future. Although Stanley might have more of a future as a Jet, than Poolman does, which is a factor.

I like the forward lines, but most people on here would say that Thompson's start probably relegates him to the PB for awhile

I'd like to see a rotation of Perreault/Harkins/Gustafsson and Lewis on the 4th line, I think each player can contribute something. Vesalainen with Gus could also bring something, imo

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Copp represents something our top 6 needs badly.

I'd love to see Copp / Dubois / Ehlers act as the tough matchup and de facto #1 line while giving Connor / Schief / Wheeler soft matchups so they can take advantage offensively and leave the defense to others (since that's the way they seem to want to play anyway).

I believe having Stastny on a wing might be a waste; guys capable of anchoring lines have value. Bottom 6 we can run all kinds of good combos, like Harkins / Stastny / Vesalainen, with Perreault / Lowry / Appleton as a 4th.

To me a setup like that seems like 1A/1B/3A/3B and if we feel like Lowry is "wasted" so low in the lineup, all the better.

Edit: I won't even mention what I expect to see, but it's not this...
200.gif

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Forbort has been our best PKer to start, so it seems unlikely that Heinola will replace him. In fact we need other guys to step up on the PK. I'm hoping Stanley takes that role. I'd like to see Forbort-De Melo as the top unit, with Stanley-Beaulieu as #2, and Morrissey and Pionk in replacement roles, as the 2 most important puck movers on the team, but based on TC I would be surprised if it were Beaulieu-De Melo as #1, and Forbort-Poolman as #2 in the near future. Although Stanley might have more of a future as a Jet, than Poolman does, which is a factor.

I like the forward lines, but most people on here would say that Thompson's start probably relegates him to the PB for awhile

I'd like to see a rotation of Perreault/Harkins/Gustafsson and Lewis on the 4th line, I think each player can contribute something. Vesalainen with Gus could also bring something, imo[
/QUOTE]

Just don't see what Thompson brings that MP, or Lewis doesn't do better, if you're after a seasoned vet for the 4th line, except maybe face-offs, but Gus is very good there, and Harkins is no slouch either. Absolutely to your final suggestion -- Gus and Vesa have a track record of strong play together, and would add a nice combo of 2-way play, speed and scoring threat also. But a regular rotation might also work well in terms of balance and driving (and rewarding) internal competition, IMO.

NBjet

May 24, 2014

I'd like to see a rotation of Perreault/Harkins/Gustafsson and Lewis on the 4th line, I think each player can contribute something. Vesalainen with Gus could also bring something, imo

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but our best game with lots of O-zone time was when Heinola was in the lineup.

Reactions: voyageur

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Cant see Maurice ever trying it but I’d love to see them run 11 and 7. We have so much talent up front and especially at C, so why not just rotate guys through the 4th line and add some skill. I think you could really create some mismatches.
Give us some more looks at young guys on D and if one is struggling he sits a bit more. Maybe it’s easier said than done, but Lightning and Leafs have done it. On back to backs you throw Lewis in there.

Stastny - PLD - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Perrault- (Rotation)- Harkins

Morrissey- Heinola
Forbort- Pionk
Stanley- Poolman
Samberg

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Maurice might have Scheifele, Dubois and Lowry as his top 3 centers next season if they can resign Lowry. If that is the case, we might as well not even have a 4th line because they are going to play around 4-5 minutes a night on a good night. He would play the 3 of them for 20 minutes each if he can.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Interesting how this team is now looking a bit more like the Hawks cup teams.

Kane - Connor
Toews - PLD
Sharp - Scheifele
Hossa - Ehlers
Saad - Wheeler
Richards - Stastny
Versteeg- Copp
Shaw - Appleton
Bickell- Lowry
Kruger - Harkins/Gustafsson

Keith - Morrissey/Heinola
Seabrook - Forbort/Samberg
Hjalmarsson - DeMelo
Oduya - Pionk
Rundblad - Beaulieu
Rozsival - Poolman

Crawford - Hellebuyck

Now, the D isn’t nearly as good, but there’s a couple of gems coming in Heinola and Samberg and a cost controlled Perfetti on the way to replace Wheeler during our contending window. But I wouldn’t mind seeing a good young defensive forward who can also put up points (Saad/Hossa role) on the Jets, and a very good (top pairing) dman added in the next year. Especially when PLD is on a team friendly deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice now has some ridiculously good options for his forward combinations, both this season and into the future.

A few thoughts...

Copp-Ehlers has been a ridiculously good combination.

Perreault-Lowry has looked very good.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler struggled last game, but were strong in the games before that.

PLD is really, really good at driving offense.

Option 1 (the status quo edition)..

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Stastny-PLD-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Harkins-Lewis

Maurice keeps his shutdown 3rd line and CSW, while PLD gets a couple of creative linemates. Stastny and PLD can interchange at C. I'm not that worried about Stastny's pace on the wing with Ehlers and PLD supplying the pace and pressure.

Option 2... (Copp is good, let's try depth)

Harkins-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-PLD-Appleton
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Lewis

Basically organized around pairs, while keeping the Jets best line this season together (Copp-Stastny-Ehlers), and evening out the talent in other lines.

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Maurice now has some ridiculously good options for his forward combinations, both this season and into the future.

A few thoughts...

Copp-Ehlers has been a ridiculously good combination.

Perreault-Lowry has looked very good.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler struggled last game, but were strong in the games before that.

PLD is really, really good at driving offense.

Option 1 (the status quo edition)..

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Stastny-PLD-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Harkins-Lewis

Maurice keeps his shutdown 3rd line and CSW, while PLD gets a couple of creative linemates. Stastny and PLD can interchange at C. I'm not that worried about Stastny's pace on the wing with Ehlers and PLD supplying the pace and pressure.

Option 2... (Copp is good, let's try depth)

Harkins-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-PLD-Appleton
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Lewis

Basically organized around pairs, while keeping the Jets best line this season together (Copp-Stastny-Ehlers), and evening out the talent in other lines.
It'll never happen, but I love, love, love option 2.

Reactions: Nedarb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad