Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Other than adding Thompson to the fourth line there will be no changes from last year. If there is one thing that we can take away from 7 years of Paul Maurice is that he’s not going to change anything unless he is absolutely forced to by injury.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Other than adding Thompson to the fourth line there will be no changes from last year. If there is one thing that we can take away from 7 years of Paul Maurice is that he’s not going to change anything unless he is absolutely forced to by injury.

I wonder about this. On one hand I think I agree that Maurice will roll out the same recipe we've seen for 2 plus years to limited success.

But then I wonder if he'll have taken the opportunity during the break to study the successes of other teams (and study the real successes of our own team) and change things up from a system or lines perspective.

He's done it before, when we became a more passive team in our own zone and generally less aggressive team (which I believe they did because they felt they wore down in the Cup run season a few years ago).

With a short preseason, though, I have my doubts.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its hard for me to blame Maurice for not starting with combinations that he is familiar with this season given the fact that there won't be any preseason games to experiment with. Also our two prized prospects likely won't be joining camp until its half done offering even less of an opportunity to make an impact.

Where I hope to see real change is in our systems. We need to up the tempo and aggression this year imo.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Its hard for me to blame Maurice for not starting with combinations that he is familiar with this season given the fact that there won't be any preseason games to experiment with. Also our two prized prospects likely won't be joining camp until its half done offering even less of an opportunity to make an impact.

Where I hope to see real change is in our systems. We need to up the tempo and aggression this year imo.

Yes we do need to up the tempo and aggression. This team isn’t built for that though. We are going to get battered and bruised and pushed around all year, we are the softest team in the NHL.

We keep drafting soft and small so chevy doesn’t see it as a problem. We just have to outscore the other team I guess

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yes we do need to up the tempo and aggression. This team isn’t built for that though. We are going to get battered and bruised and pushed around all year, we are the softest team in the NHL.

We keep drafting soft and small so chevy doesn’t see it as a problem. We just have to outscore the other team I guess

It is pretty strange to see the gap between Maurice's coaching style and Chevy's drafting style... didn't see that one coming.

If you start looking at our draft history... Chevy is not quite the drafting superstar we all thought he was - we've missed a lot of diamonds in the rough - our draft gems are in years when the draft is deep

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
It is pretty strange to see the gap between Maurice's coaching style and Chevy's drafting style... didn't see that one coming.

If you start looking at our draft history... Chevy is not quite the drafting superstar we all thought he was - we've missed a lot of diamonds in the rough - our draft gems are in years when the draft is deep

There is a big gap. Chevy has drafted soft players for the most part and Maurice wants them all to play like pat maroon.

Add that Chevy hasn’t drafted one player in the first round that can play actual defence and we have a huge problem

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
There is a big gap. Chevy has drafted soft players for the most part and Maurice wants them all to play like pat maroon.

Add that Chevy hasn’t drafted one player in the first round that can play actual defence and we have a huge problem

Well, umm, Heinola and Trouba... we just couldn't keep Trouba.

But our tendency to draft wingers in the first round is biting this team - good teams build C and D with first round picks - there were three solid D prospects on the board when we took Vesa

Rhe Perfetti pick is troubling - I have a hard time seeing him as a C and we left a big defensive C (Lundell) and a good D (Guhle) on the board... hope it works out.

Even Ehlers... he is a good player - but Sanheim and Larkin were the mid-round gems - we missed.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Well, umm, Heinola and Trouba... we just couldn't keep Trouba.

But our tendency to draft wingers in the first round is biting this team - good teams build C and D with first round picks - there were three solid D prospects on the board when we took Vesa

Rhe Perfetti pick is troubling - I have a hard time seeing him as a C and we left a big defensive C (Lundell) and a good D (Guhle) on the board... hope it works out.

Even Ehlers... he is a good player - but Sanheim and Larkin were the mid-round gems - we missed.

Sorry I meant forward in first round.

I agree with your post. Very good points

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

Blatantly untrue.

Scheifele isn't small, and while he isn't a bruiser I have no issues with his physicality. Lowry isn't small and soft.
Trouba isn't small and soft.
Morrissey is shorter but he isn't soft at all. Copp is neither small nor soft.
Ehlers is shorter but he isn't soft.
Connor and Roslovic? Yeah, but Connor is a 40 goal scorer (pro rated but it's almost certain he would have hit the mark this year).
Laine isn't small or soft. Stanley was a bad pick precisely because they were looking at size.
Vesalainen isn't small but I have little first hand knowledge of whether or not he is soft.
Early looks at Gustaffson look promising for an eventual Lowry replacement. He is not small.
Heinola is smaller and won't ever be a big hitter. Doesn't matter if he can be molded into an Enstrom like player, who was a good defenceman for years.
Perfetti has an elite skill and is a steal of a pick at 10th overall. I'd take him over Lundell every single time without hesitation. Small? Yeah, but not overly so, and it doesn't matter if you're good anyways.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Blatantly untrue.

Scheifele isn't small, and while he isn't a bruiser I have no issues with his physicality. Lowry isn't small and soft.
Trouba isn't small and soft.
Morrissey is shorter but he isn't soft at all. Copp is neither small nor soft.
Ehlers is shorter but he isn't soft.
Connor and Roslovic? Yeah, but Connor is a 40 goal scorer (pro rated but it's almost certain he would have hit the mark this year).
Laine isn't small or soft. Stanley was a bad pick precisely because they were looking at size.
Vesalainen isn't small but I have little first hand knowledge of whether or not he is soft.
Early looks at Gustaffson look promising for an eventual Lowry replacement. He is not small.
Heinola is smaller and won't ever be a big hitter. Doesn't matter if he can be molded into an Enstrom like player, who was a good defenceman for years.
Perfetti has an elite skill and is a steal of a pick at 10th overall. I'd take him over Lundell every single time without hesitation. Small? Yeah, but not overly so, and it doesn't matter if you're good anyways.

All good points, even with all those players you mentions we got pushed around all year last year. And when it counted the most against Calgary.

So I will say we have drafted softer then the majority of the NHL. I will retract the small

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
All good points, even with all those players you mentions we got pushed around all year last year. And when it counted the most against Calgary.

So I will say we have drafted softer then the majority of the NHL. I will retract the small
Hopefully we already have more size coming in Samberg. Laine and Schief got injured. We didn’t have depth without Schief.
Hopefully Ves adds size and toughness this season.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Blatantly untrue.

What exactly sets him apart from Lundell? I am genuinely interested to hear what Perfetti has that is better than a 6'1 two-way Centre who literally could step into our lineup next year. Is that not what the Jets desperately need right now as opposed to yet another under-sized playmaker?

Reactions: jetswin

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
What exactly sets him apart from Lundell? I am genuinely interested to hear what Perfetti has that is better than a 6'1 two-way Centre who literally could step into our lineup next year. Is that not what the Jets desperately need right now as opposed to yet another under-sized playmaker?

It’s like Chevy thinks a top 6 only needs to score. It’s actually disgusting how bad our top 6 is defensively and it won’t ever get better unless we switch players.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This team did learn bad habits from having a high-risk D like Buff around who also somehow bailed them out consistently

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
This team did learn bad habits from having a high-risk D like Buff around who also somehow bailed them out consistently

I disagree here. Chevys drafted players in the top 6 that will never be able to play great defense. Which puts a strain on the entire team.

When your top line gets demolished by any other top line in NHL then you have to play Lowry on the 3c role and play him a lot which eliminates our fourth line which makes our top lines even kore tired from playing to much. It’s a avalanche of problems that could be fixed if chevy didn’t just draft for offensive capability( top 6 )

Its like chevy thinks these purely
Offensive players will all learn how to play elite d under Maurice and we will be a dynasty.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I disagree here. Chevys drafted players in the top 6 that will never be able to play great defense. Which puts a strain on the entire team.

When your top line gets demolished by any other top line in NHL then you have to play Lowry on the 3c role and play him a lot which eliminates our fourth line which makes our top lines even kore tired from playing to much. It’s a avalanche of problems that could be fixed if chevy didn’t just draft for offensive capability( top 6 )

Offensive players will all learn how to play elite d under Maurice and we will be a dynasty.

Maybe. But with Trouba, Myers and Buff we were a high flying, high risk defence... Scheifele's D game has lapsed in the last few years because of that imo

Jets got used to have D that would pinch (right or wrong) at the line - now we don't... when your D is holding the line, there's more necessity to stay in scoring position than back check

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I wonder about this. On one hand I think I agree that Maurice will roll out the same recipe we've seen for 2 plus years to limited success.

But then I wonder if he'll have taken the opportunity during the break to study the successes of other teams (and study the real successes of our own team) and change things up from a system or lines perspective.

He's done it before, when we became a more passive team in our own zone and generally less aggressive team (which I believe they did because they felt they wore down in the Cup run season a few years ago).

With a short preseason, though, I have my doubts.
I think that the 2017-2018 team was so good that he just so good that it was hard to mess that up. But when the got to the conference finals Gallant fed him his lunch and he wouldn't or couldn't adjust.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Perfetti has good d.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Where the discussion about team toughness actually fits.

Look who the blues picked up before winning the cup ....... back on topic now
Was it the same players that led the Blues to a last place in the league on January 3rd before the team added noted bruiser *checks notes* Jordan Binnington?

I trust you're simply forgetting about this massive story, and not trying to rewrite history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad