Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Where the discussion about team toughness actually fits.

Was it the same players that led the Blues to a last place in the league on January 3rd before the team added noted bruiser *checks notes* Jordan Binnington?

I trust you're simply forgetting about this massive story, and not trying to rewrite history.

Good point.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
What exactly sets him apart from Lundell? I am genuinely interested to hear what Perfetti has that is better than a 6'1 two-way Centre who literally could step into our lineup next year. Is that not what the Jets desperately need right now as opposed to yet another under-sized playmaker?

You always draft the best player available, not for what you need at any given draft. There was a time when we were stacked on RHD and drafting one would have no doubt been met with people thinking the opposite of what you are with Perfetti. You don't know what you'll need by the time these guys make the NHL (if they do at all). I also doubt Lundell could step into the 2C role better than a veteran like Stastny can, either.

Perfetti has all the tools to become a high end offensive center (should the Jets try to develop him along this route). He has a high technical skill level and the hockey IQ to utilize it as well. Additionally, from what I've seen so far he has a good defensive stick and is quite capable of helping out in his own zone. His offensive skill sets him apart, and it's a lot easier to teach defence than offence. Especially at a team systems level. And I say this knowing full well our top-6 has not exactly shown this the last few years, but I put that down to coaching more than anything.

I'm also just weary of so called 2-way players being billed as "NHL ready," because they're good at defence.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Everyone keeps forgetting about the liiga!! Of course lundell is dominating right now. The wjc isn’t important their careers are.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Everyone keeps forgetting about the liiga!! Of course lundell is dominating right now. The wjc isn’t important their careers are.

I'm not saying Lundell is more intrinsically talented than Perfetti... or taking a shot at Perfetti himself - he has really nice playmaking sense

I am just trying to understand why we drafted what is really looking like a longer term Centre project player than Lundell who seems NHL ready even if its 4th line - playing in Liiga is a huge part of that and Perfetti having nowhere to play are things to be considered at the draft

A lot can change but right now Lundell looks a lot more like the guy who would step in for Statsny next season...

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not saying Lundell is more intrinsically talented than Perfetti... or taking a shot at Perfetti himself - he has really nice playmaking sense

I am just trying to understand why we drafted what is really looking like a longer term Centre project player than Lundell who seems NHL ready even if its 4th line - playing in Liiga is a huge part of that and Perfetti having nowhere to play are things to be considered at the draft

A lot can change but right now Lundell looks a lot more like the guy who would step in for Statsny next season...

You draft for upside everytime. We are an org that needs to utilize our top picks on players with elite talent and upside. The reason for this is that we are in an undesirable market and have not been able to get elite talent through other means.

It doesnt matter if Lundell makes it first, it's not a sprint but a race.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You draft for upside everytime. We are an org that needs to utilize our top picks on players with elite talent and upside. The reason for this is that we are in an undesirable market and have not been able to get elite talent through other means.

You mean a marathon as a sprint is a race too.

Reactions: surixon

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
So now Roslovic (according to agent) is a hold-out, whose next? Gives another player a shot, but the number of 1st round players wanting out is growing. Some guys very happy here, some not....doesn’t bode well when you have to mostly rely on draft and develop.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So now Roslovic (according to agent) is a hold-out, whose next? Gives another player a shot, but the number of 1st round players wanting out is growing. Some guys very happy here, some not....doesn’t bode well when you have to mostly rely on draft and develop.

For you have a source for this?

This opens the door for Ves to make a move on that open spot imo.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Well, it kind of matters. Given that our core is locked up for four more years...

Lundell is also an elite talent - scouts rated them equally. But Lundell is closer to being an NHL Centre - a position that we desperately need.

As much as I want Perfetti to be our 2C within 2-3 years, the odds of that happening are extremely low.

Either way, I'm cheering for Perfetti to over-achieve at C and grab a spot... I just don't understand our drafting strategy since 2016

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Well, it kind of matters. Given that our core is locked up for four more years...

Lundell is also an elite talent - scouts rated them equally. But Lundell is closer to being an NHL Centre - a position that we desperately need.

As much as I want Perfetti to be our 2C within 2-3 years, the odds of that happening are extremely low.

Either way, I'm cheering for Perfetti to over-achieve at C and grab a spot... I just don't understand our drafting strategy since 2016

Chevys probably hoping little comes back and gives Perfetti time

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Winning faceoffs and driving play is NHL ready...

Plus every Centre we draft, we plug into a defensive/checking role to develop...

The only center of Perfetti's skill level we've ever developed is Scheifele and that wasn't what they did with him.

I don't care how good he is at faceoffs. We don't know if he can drive play at an NHL level.

You don't draft for need, ever. If the best player available also happens to be something you need, awesome. If not, you find another way to fill the hole. We drafted the player with more offensive upside and got a decent 2C for cheap.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Scouts did not rate them equally. Perfetti was rated much higher on all pre draft lists.

The Jets believe Perfetti is the better prospect so they took him. Given our track record with forwards in the first round ill defer to their opinion.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Chevys probably hoping little comes back and gives Perfetti time

Oh Stats will probably be here until he's 37...

I guess what's bugging me is that the Perfetti pick seemed more like a guy to replace Scheif or Ehlers - and that combined with the sadsack D signings doesn't feel like 'win now'

Reactions: Teemusalami204

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Fantastic move - we have a guy who wants to develop as a Centre and we're going to dump him for a 36 year old hack instead of compromise

Reactions: Bigfish

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Fantastic move - we have a guy who wants to develop as a Centre and we're going to dump him for a 36 year old hack instead of compromise

Can't teach gudvetness, I guess.

Although I'd bet we see Harkins get a chance to centre that line if Roslo doesn't sign.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Can't teach gudvetness, I guess.

Although I'd bet we see Harkins get a chance to centre that line if Roslo doesn't sign.

Harkins is locked in at RW on Copp-Lowry I'd say... that should be a really nice line

Thompson is our starting 4C until he's hurt

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Oh Stats will probably be here until he's 37...

I guess what's bugging me is that the Perfetti pick seemed more like a guy to replace Scheif or Ehlers - and that combined with the sadsack D signings doesn't feel like 'win now'
I don’t think they should try and win now they should have given this season for heinola and Samberg to be in top 4 roles. Given harkens or roslo a chance at that 2c and develop from within. But if you are going to sign stastny than you should have have definitely drafted lundell because while I see Perfetti having a higher ceiling it will take longer to reach. If you are going for it now and not developing for the future then take the guy who is ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad