GDT: Jets @ Oilers | Tue Oct 1 | 9PM | Rexall Place | "Hockey's Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Drew Mindell bugs me from time to time. Complaining about Scheifele's 200ft game before he even plays. :laugh: I will bet almost anything the Mark proves him wrong - Hustler called him on it as well. Have to say that Hustler is probably my favourite 1290 guy - not too optimistic, not too pessimistic.

Oilers fans seem to be pretty convinced of the win tonight - have they really improved enough to overtake a team that finished ahead of them last year? I truly hope the Jets have gotten their stuff together, and lay a big ole whoopin' on 'em tonight.

Go :jets Go!

Agreed on Hustler as well. Not a fan of Matt Libel (sp?). Seems like a huge whiner.

As for the bolded, I think each teams fans are hoping for a win, and it really can go either way, but from quickly reading through their thread for info, there really seems to much more "Hate" towards Winnipeg, the Jets, and the Jets fans coming from them compared to us towards them. Which is strange, because it was our hearts that were broken by the Oilers in years gone by.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Agreed on Hustler as well. Not a fan of Matt Libel (sp?). Seems like a huge whiner.

As for the bolded, I think each teams fans are hoping for a win, and it really can go either way, but from quickly reading through their thread for info, there really seems to much more "Hate" towards Winnipeg, the Jets, and the Jets fans coming from them compared to us towards them. Which is strange, because it was our hearts that were broken by the Oilers in years gone by.

I think Oilers and Jets will be a rivalry, loved the jets in the east and cheered for them as well... Now as a Canadian team in the west it's game on! No more love for the jets haha. Anyways congrats on getting your team back, I hope you lose every game this season ;)

.... I have Kane/Scheiffele/Wheeler in my keeper league so it's not all hate.

Also I must point out, every fan base thinks other fan bases hate them more for some reason, it's a confirmation bias of sorts. I think lot of Oilers fans like the Jets and are happy they are back. It's probably a little tense though because I feel these teams are both boardering the playoffs and will be in a dog fight most of the season... Oilers admittedly being a little more unpredictable though. Also the city's are fairly similar I feel, everything is here for a big rivalry. Should be good.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I dont see how Buff holds this team back.
His offence far out weighs what he lacks defensively.

I would agree if Buff was a plus player - in plus/minus.

Now I get the arguments that plus/minus isn't a perfect stat, but for all the offense he brings, he should be a plus player. Especially, if his offence far outweighs his lack of defence. But it doesn't. He's a minus player. And doesn't always line-up against the other teams best players.

Now garret might jump in here with some advanced stats to disprove my theory, but 'Buff being Buff' is basically a wash - all positives the odd rush or roaming provides, there are just as many negatives.

Where as a guy like Trouba that picks his spots better, and plays sound defence, will be a plus player and fit the Jets mold better.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
We don't know what type of player Trouba is...

That's true.

How he's played in pre-season, which isn't the regular season, suggests he will be a plus player. We shall see.

Imo, he has a greater chance of being a plus player than either Buff or Bogo, due to his defensive zone play - good stick, gap control, etc. But we don't know that yet.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Also I must point out, every fan base thinks other fan bases hate them more for some reason, it's a confirmation bias of sorts. I think lot of Oilers fans like the Jets and are happy they are back. It's probably a little tense though because I feel these teams are both boardering the playoffs and will be in a dog fight most of the season... Oilers admittedly being a little more unpredictable though. Also the city's are fairly similar I feel, everything is here for a big rivalry. Should be good.

I agree with all of this. Having lived in Edmonton for the last three years, it's all friendly nagging that goes back and forth. Walking around campus in by Jets jersey today and no problems.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Oh great, people already saying Trouba is already better then Byfuglien... lol Gonna be an interesting season..

It's game 1 - he hasn't proven himself worse yet. :D

Personally, I hope they both do well - if the players are utilized appropriately, I like 4th line guys and 1st line guys just as much. All comes down to how they perform in the role they've been given.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Ack! Apologies to Drew - I was trying to call out Leibl. ;) Leibl's got some good points, but I don't always agree with how he presents them.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I would agree if Buff was a plus player - in plus/minus.

Now I get the arguments that plus/minus isn't a perfect stat, but for all the offense he brings, he should be a plus player. Especially, if his offence far outweighs his lack of defence. But it doesn't. He's a minus player. And doesn't always line-up against the other teams best players.

Now garret might jump in here with some advanced stats to disprove my theory, but 'Buff being Buff' is basically a wash - all positives the odd rush or roaming provides, there are just as many negatives.

Where as a guy like Trouba that picks his spots better, and plays sound defence, will be a plus player and fit the Jets mold better.

I don't see how Noel can be pushing defensive responsibility, and then have Buff running around all over the place ignoring the systems. Things get messed up when you've got a forward back, wondering where his "outlet guy" is.......no where to be seen.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Oh great, people already saying Trouba is already better then Byfuglien... lol Gonna be an interesting season..

Maybe not this 1st game, or this season, but I'm pretty confident in saying Trouba will be a better defenceman - consistently - than Byfuglien, in the not too distant future.
That's not even a big stretch, or going out on much of a limb, imo.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe not this 1st game, or this season, but I'm pretty confident in saying Trouba will be a better defenceman - consistently - than Byfuglien, in the not too distant future.
That's not even a big stretch, or going out on much of a limb, imo.

We're talking about today though.
We agree Jacob could definitely be better than Buff, just not this year.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Ack! Apologies to Drew - I was trying to call out Leibl. ;) Leibl's got some good points, but I don't always agree with how he presents them.

I can't stand the IC guys radio work ftmp. Just find them really annoying. I love The Big Show. Leibl is a smart guy and knows his sports. Really look forward to listening to the BS guys after a night of Bmober and Jet action. Not much of a RR fan either. I listen to them all though because there is nothing else to listen to on the radio when it comes to local sports coverage. Hustelr is OK but his vaguely asthmatic voice grates on my nerves... :)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I agree.
I'm high on Trouba, just don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Absolutely.

But I do think there will be a time when Buff's minutes get trimmed because of 'reckless' play, and Trouba's minutes get bumped because of 'solid' play.

We saw Noel grow tired of Buff's play last year, but he didn't have many options. If Buff doesn't change his game, Noel might look for options again. Trouba may just give him more options. The kid is still a young player, but his game has a solid foundation. Just has to be comfortable at the NHL level, game in and game out.

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
I can't stand the IC guys radio work ftmp. Just find them really annoying. I love The Big Show. Leibl is a smart guy and knows his sports. Really look forward to listening to the BS guys after a night of Bmober and Jet action. Not much of a RR fan either. I listen to them all though because there is nothing else to listen to on the radio when it comes to local sports coverage. Hustelr is OK but his vaguely asthmatic voice grates on my nerves... :)
Yeah, I personally love the Big Show as well. All three bring a slightly different view to the table and their humor always hits the spot for me.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Oiler fan stopping by in peace.

I think the Oilers will be in tough, especially considering they are missing their two best centers.

Hoping for an exciting game.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Despite all of this WINS and LOSSES are the way to JUDGE how often the Jets are buying in. If the Jets were so very bad at managing their "effort level" the past few years, if they improve at that should they not then MAKE playoffs? What's the point of being more consistent if your just being more consistently worse?

This is pro sports. For all the talk of character, effort level, etc it comes down to one thing. Winning. The Jets need more of it. Great that Chevy maybe has "his team" now, but now they need to show it.

Just FYI, I am not the one waiting for the "big" roster move. Jets have never been there. I have been advocating simply that this Jets core has not come close to the standards that are neccessary for pro sports. I do not see guys like Antropov and Hainsey holding back the rest of the core. Quite simply if you look at the historical comparaisons, Jets look more like Columbus and Florida type rebuilds (ie one playoff round one season then another rebuild) than they do a Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh.

I think PS made some good points in his post. I also think that every single fan in this forum wants the Jets to WIN and understands that is how they will ultimately be judged.

In regards to the "big" roster move - I always thought you had to have decent assets in order to trade for decent assets. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you are in the camp that believes our core isn't good enough (i.e. the players we have in our core will not take us to the next level).

If that is the case, please give us a few examples of a few "big" deals you would have made if you were the G.M.

I'm not trying to be a smartass and maybe this is just my perception - bit it seems to me that most people who constantly criticize the lack of a "big deal" never seem to offer anything more than complaints.

So, to all of you who figure there should have been more deals made - give some realistic examples of deals you feel could/should have been made if the opportunity had presented itself.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So what are the chances that PJ Stock calls us the Atlanta Thrashers with different uniforms?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, I personally love the Big Show as well. All three bring a slightly different view to the table and their humor always hits the spot for me.

Theres been a fair number of times the three of them have had me laughing out loud while driving along listening...Westwood says some funny stuff. :)

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Oiler fan stopping by in peace.

I think the Oilers will be in tough, especially considering they are missing their two best centers.

Hoping for an exciting game.

I hope you're right but I'm pissed at you. I vowed not to have any beer until the weekend but your avatar has me itching to head down to the fridge and grab a cold one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad