GDT: Jets @ Oilers | Tue Oct 1 | 9PM | Rexall Place | "Hockey's Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
We're talking about today though.
We agree Jacob could definitely be better than Buff, just not this year.

Definitely not today.

But I'm not sure I'll go as far as saying he wouldn't be a better dman than Buff by season's end. Not sure if that says more about Trouba's potential and rapid growth, or Buff's play as a 'defence'man. ;).

Will Trouba outscore Buff? Likely not. He won't get the pp time. Will he get more minutes and finish with a higher +/-, I'm thinking that may be a possibility, by the end of the year.

There's also a possibility that when the real bullets fly in the regular season, Trouba isn't ready and is off to St John's. Don't think that will happen, but we'll see.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't see how Noel can be pushing defensive responsibility, and then have Buff running around all over the place ignoring the systems. Things get messed up when you've got a forward back, wondering where his "outlet guy" is.......no where to be seen.

Yup.

To use a rowing team analogy, would be like everyone is trying to row in one direction in unison, but one guy likes to row wherever he wants. Sometimes it works, sometimes its against what the others are trying to do.

That's likely a bad analogy, but it has to be hard to play with a guy that you really don't know where he might be on the ice, at any given time. Sure, it might lead to offensive chances, but it just as well can be counterproductive, imo.

Hero of Canton

My very own riot?
Feb 2, 2012
Edmonton, AB
I can't wait to head over to the game. I've been walking around campus in my Jets jersey all day and settled in to pregame in my project room for a few hours before the game.

I can't wait to see what Scheifele and Trouba can do now that they are in the show.

GO JETS GO!!!!

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
I don't post here much in the off season, but I'm back now!

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

iM93QIS98l4aU.gif
iM93QIS98l4aU.gif

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
the Oilers whiteout deserves a double facepalm

Attachments

• double-facepalm1.jpg
    double-facepalm1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 8

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
its like do you watch the leafs celebrate like they just won the cup or do you watch katherine tappen drool over toews and the hawks cause they just won the cup. ugh. i wish kane would have a 60 goal season so everyone would **** #bitterness

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Despite all of this WINS and LOSSES are the way to JUDGE how often the Jets are buying in. If the Jets were so very bad at managing their "effort level" the past few years, if they improve at that should they not then MAKE playoffs? What's the point of being more consistent if your just being more consistently worse?

This is pro sports. For all the talk of character, effort level, etc it comes down to one thing. Winning. The Jets need more of it. Great that Chevy maybe has "his team" now, but now they need to show it.

Just FYI, I am not the one waiting for the "big" roster move. Jets have never been there. I have been advocating simply that this Jets core has not come close to the standards that are neccessary for pro sports. I do not see guys like Antropov and Hainsey holding back the rest of the core. Quite simply if you look at the historical comparaisons, Jets look more like Columbus and Florida type rebuilds (ie one playoff round one season then another rebuild) than they do a Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh.

while I agree with much of the remainder of your post, I completely disagree with the bolded

maybe it's because I'm a poker player where being results oriented is your greatest pitfall, but in a sport like hockey, which by its nature contains so much randomness and luck, judging SOLELY on wins and losses is being terribly shortsighted

if you consistently outplay the opposition you're more likely to win a greater number of games than not, but it is by no means a guarantee and vice versa

2 quick examples off the top of my head would be 1) last years Leafs who were outplayed but relied on ridiculous SH% 2) your 2011-2012 Kings who (during the regular season) consistently outplayed teams (I think 4th best Fenwick Close) but had the 2nd worst SH% in the league

tl/dr context is everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad