GDT: Jets @ Oilers | Tue Oct 1 | 9PM | Rexall Place | "Hockey's Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@winnipegsun
Adam Pardy rejoined the #NHLJets on ice this am but looks like the team is going with same lines and D-pairs as they used Monday in Banff

Looks like we'll get our first look at a Bogo-Trouba pairing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Despite all of this WINS and LOSSES are the way to JUDGE how often the Jets are buying in. If the Jets were so very bad at managing their "effort level" the past few years, if they improve at that should they not then MAKE playoffs? What's the point of being more consistent if your just being more consistently worse?

This is pro sports. For all the talk of character, effort level, etc it comes down to one thing. Winning. The Jets need more of it. Great that Chevy maybe has "his team" now, but now they need to show it.

Just FYI, I am not the one waiting for the "big" roster move. Jets have never been there. I have been advocating simply that this Jets core has not come close to the standards that are neccessary for pro sports. I do not see guys like Antropov and Hainsey holding back the rest of the core. Quite simply if you look at the historical comparaisons, Jets look more like Columbus and Florida type rebuilds (ie one playoff round one season then another rebuild) than they do a Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh.

Yea we agree it’s all about winning and it is absolutely about getting to the playoffs. I should have added that to my post. They need to show improvement this year right now. Barring really bad injury luck this season if the Jets don't make the post season this year then the locker room, veteran core, players, coach's, and management have failed. This core is at the collective age that the march to the post season needs to be now.

Atlanta lost their 2nd chance to bottom out when Kovy was traded. Their first run came Back in 1999 (1st overall), 2000 (2nd overall), and 2001 (1st overall) Atlanta had a chance to get the "elite picks core" and under real management that might have worked out better but even the elite picks base doesn't always go as planned. When Kovy left to Jersey if it wasn't for Dudley's wheeling and dealing the Thrashers could have stock piled picks and probably let the team fail to the point of the complete rebuild. I don’t think that was an economically viable short term option for Atlanta though.

Now we are at where we are at. TNSE have chosen to give this core a chance and we shall see how it plays out. If this core can't get it done then changes will need to be made at some point.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach Claude Noel pre-game scrum

Coach-Noel-pre-game-vs.-Oilers-300x167.jpg

Coach Noel - The season is upon them, initial thoughts. What does he expect from Trouba in his first NHL game? Thinking playoffs. Good opportunity for Mark Scheifele. How much does having Charlie Huddy help with Trouba? Chance to start a new rivalry with the Oilers. How does he approach the game as the road club with all the opening ceremonies? Favourite part of opening night? What does he see in Trouba? Did playing in college vs. Jr. help with Trouba? Will he work Trouba in slowly?

To listen click here.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Though I agree with your post in many ways, ps, I agree with Holden more.

Consistent effort and holding one another accountable is one thing, but I find some of our core players play too selfish a game, and have not bought into a cohesive 'team' style of play. Might be why this team seems to not have an identity.

I'll be looking at how Buff and Kane play, to see how bought in they are. Kane seems to be buying in more, but I have not yet seen a dramatic difference with Buff. Its very hard to preach a style of play, when some of your core does whatever they want.

Further to Holden's point about the core, and I agree. Some of our core players - Ladd, Buff, Wheeler, Seto, Frolik - have been good supporting players on other teams, but replaceable parts. Our young, drafted, homegrown core - Bogo, Kane, Scheifele (?), Trouba (?) - are still developing, and may turn into significant core pieces of a winning team down the road. So building a winner through the draft is key, but you likely don't get real game-changer players without picking pretty high - top 4 or so.

I like Trouba. He looks like he can be a significant core piece down the road. Jury is still out on Scheif, for me. So lots of supporting pieces, but we lack enough non-supporting core guys that will lead this team.

Chicago can 'rebuild' and win again because of their key core of Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook. Add Sharp and Hossa, and that team can win year in and year out, regardless of who the supporting cast is, for the most part.

I don't disagree with either you or Holden. I am expecting progression this year from our core and team that will translate to WINNING and the playoffs (barring massive injuries which is why I said I have no idea how the year will play out).

The time is now for this core but I also agree we have a next core that is coming up and that will be around Kane, Bogo, Trouba, Scheifele, 2011, 2012, 2103 draft picks..........if our current core can't get it done then Chevy will have to make some changes

I am not sure we have a Kane & Toews (1st and 2nd), or Crosby, Geno (1st and 1st) base coming our way anytime soon without some real lottery luck so I think an LA or Boston route to the top might be a better path too look at.........or even better we can carve out or own version.

edit: Buff is still going to be Buff (The fact he showed up fit and ready to go is a big bonus)

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I am not sure we have a Kane & Toews (1st and 2nd), or Crosby, Geno (1st and 1st) base coming our way anytime soon without some real lottery luck so I think an LA or Boston route to the top might be a better path too look at.........or even better we can carve out or own version.

And since this is an Oilers GDT thread...Hall, Nugent Hopkins, and Yakupov. Yikes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with either you or Holden. I am expecting progression this year from our core and team that will translate to WINNING and the playoffs (barring massive injuries which is why I said I have no idea how the year will play out).

The time is now for this core but I also agree we have a next core that is coming up and that will be around Kane, Bogo, Trouba, Scheifele, 2011, 2012, 2103 draft picks..........if our current core can't get it done then Chevy will have to make some changes

edit: Buff is still going to be Buff (The fact he showed up fit and ready to go is a big bonus)

I agree that the Jets are likely following the Boston, Nashville, St. Louis template of building a strong all around team that is maybe a little short on star power. We'll see if they can be successful over the next year or two. I still say that if any core piece is moved then it will be Buff sometime next summer.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And since this is an Oilers GDT thread...Hall, Nugent Hopkins, and Yakupov. Yikes.

throw in a couple of major league boat anchors like Fan boy Katz and Kevin (it’s not my fault) Lowe and that could toss a wrench into the plans.

I do think Dallas Eakins was a good hire but time will tell.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree that the Jets are likely following the Boston, Nashville, St. Louis template of building a strong all around team that is maybe a little short on star power. We'll see if they can be successful over the next year or two. I still say that if any core piece is moved then it will be Buff sometime next summer.

Yes the one thing both LA and Boston had was Vezina level goaltending in their cup runs and that is a very important element to look at if we are studying success.

When I heard GM Dan in Phoenix talk about how his team will do this season he said "with top 10 goaltending results we will probably make the playoffs, with top 5 level goaltending results we are capable of going on a run in the playoffs like we did in 2011-12."

This is an area we have beat to death on the Jets forum but what GM Dan says kind of applies to most of the middle teams like Phoenix and Winnipeg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
throw in a couple of major league boat anchors like Fan boy Katz and Kevin (it’s not my fault) Lowe and that could toss a wrench into the plans.

I do think Dallas Eakins was a good hire but time will tell.

I can't say I've been a fan of how they have built that team. Outside of the lottery picks, Eberle and Schultz they have done a very poor job of rounding out their roster.

they have some very dangerous players at the top of the lineup but I would take our roster over theirs quite easily as I like the balance and mix we have both up front and on the back end more.

SchennSational1022*

Is Wheeler hurt? I have him on my fantasy team and it says he's hurt, but I'd take your guys GDT over what CBS has to say :laugh: Is he playing?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes the one thing both LA and Boston had was Vezina level goaltending in their cup runs and that is a very important element to look at if we are studying success.

When I heard GM Dan in Phoenix talk about how his team will do this season he said "with top 10 goaltending results we will probably make the playoffs, with top 5 level goaltending results we are capable of going on a run in the playoffs like we did in 2011-12."

This is an area we have beat to death on the Jets forum but what GM Dan says kind of applies to most of the middle teams like Phoenix and Winnipeg

Goaltending is very important! I have to think that this is probably Pavelics last shot to prove that he can get it done hear. If he replicates his past history he's likely bought out and Chevy and co loom elsewhere.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Goaltending is very important! I have to think that this is probably Pavelics last shot to prove that he can get it done hear. If he replicates his past history he's likely bought out and Chevy and co loom elsewhere.

Chevy frequently seems to be praising Pavs. I would think that Chevy would be inclined to protect the goalie he signed to a 5 year contract and pass the blame onto the coaching staff if Pavs, and the team, fails.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Drew Mindell bugs me from time to time. Complaining about Scheifele's 200ft game before he even plays. :laugh: I will bet almost anything the Mark proves him wrong - Hustler called him on it as well. Have to say that Hustler is probably my favourite 1290 guy - not too optimistic, not too pessimistic.

Oilers fans seem to be pretty convinced of the win tonight - have they really improved enough to overtake a team that finished ahead of them last year? I truly hope the Jets have gotten their stuff together, and lay a big ole whoopin' on 'em tonight.

Go :jets Go!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I can't say I've been a fan of how they have built that team. Outside of the lottery picks, Eberle and Schultz they have done a very poor job of rounding out their roster.

they have some very dangerous players at the top of the lineup but I would take our roster over theirs quite easily as I like the balance and mix we have both up front and on the back end more.

This.

I don't want to take anything away from "the young kids", but none of them are very large, and none play a very physical game (well, Hall does a little bit). You just have to look at the comparative rosters - the number of 5 footers vs 6 footers on each team is very noticeable.

The Oilers have a lot of raw talent, and in certain eras they might be dominant. But in this era where it's the big, physical teams like Boston, Chicago and LA that are dominant, I don't think the Oilers will succeed.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I agree, ps.

Though Buff being Buff, even a fit Buff, still holds this team back, imo. Buff playing a responsible 2-way game, adds to what they want to do. Just don't see 'responsible defensively' wired into Buff's DNA. But I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if he's a true Norris candidate and that translates into a real playoff calibre team.

Boston may have turned the corner when they signed Chara in FA in 2006. Then, contributions from 2nd rd draft picks like Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand sure helped - as did turning Kessel into lottery picks Seguin and Hamilton. Oh, and great goaltending didn't hurt either. ;).

Holden can better speak to LA's build, but picks like Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick developed a very good core. And Schenn+Simmonds returned a key piece as well.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Drew Mindell bugs me from time to time. Complaining about Scheifele's 200ft game before he even plays. :laugh: I will bet almost anything the Mark proves him wrong - Hustler called him on it as well. Have to say that Hustler is probably my favourite 1290 guy - not too optimistic, not too pessimistic.

Oilers fans seem to be pretty convinced of the win tonight - have they really improved enough to overtake a team that finished ahead of them last year? I truly hope the Jets have gotten their stuff together, and lay a big ole whoopin' on 'em tonight.

Go :jets Go!

With Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup, then maybe they are better. Without them, not so clear and I'm inclined to say no.

Not thrilled with their goaltending either (like ours).

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Oiler fan coming in peace.

How has Scheffiele(sp?) Trouba and Enstrom looked this preseason?

Scheifele played the first game of the preseason with Kane and Setoguchi and looked good. Thereafter he was on the 3rd line and didn't do much. The plan is to put him back at 2C tonight, so we'll see.

Trouba looked better and better as time went on after an uneven first preseason game. Paired with Bogosian tonight. Should be interesting.

I didn't see much of Enstrom this preseason. He's apparently 100% healthy, they were just taking looks at other guys, I guess. Paired with Byfuglien tonight.

Good luck to the Oilers outside of tonight's game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad