Speculation: Jets need of a top right defense

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm sure most Wings posters would probably get a little upset over the thought of this, but if Perfetti is being considered an option (which I doubt he is in reality) I would be open to something around Hronek, but a little unclear on how the valuation comes to a comfortable spot. 23 years old, makes pennies on the dollar as his ELC is set to expire. Obviously will need a new contract, but he's an RFA, so there is no risk in losing him and flexibility is maintained.

Again, I anticipate this won't be well received on Detroit's end, but with Seider and the group of defenseman in this class, I would be more open to this than I generally would be. This would really all depend on how Detroit's perception of Perfetti has evolved; there was speculation that they knew and liked him quite a bit, but passed on him at #4. Did they view him of worthy of a top 5ish pick? And how do they like this class of defensemen? Are they big on Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke, etc.?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
First time member to hfboards, first time post. I enjoy the speculative thoughts and comments here for trades.
The Jets desperately need a top R dman, preferably one that shoots right. They have no prospects in that category and the only logic is to trade for one. Burns from the sharks would be ideal . The sharks are in rebuild. I would ship Perfetti for a one for one trade.

Make it happen Chevy... or the Jets fans shall start shopping for a Ford...

welcome to the boards!
bold = cute tag line

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
there can be no deal w/o cap reality.

You currently show zero cap room, so unless there is a creative workaround [which may/may not exist] you presently have to deal w/a partner who has cap space to spare.

The exp dr is another factor.

At present it makes more sense to use Deangelo for exp dr exposure and if not taken buy him out super cheap [due to his age] then most trade scenarios incl where NY retains.

Bryan Little is LTIR
will that be permanent?
Can he be bought out while on LTIR, assuming there were a scenario where that made financial sense?

Does anything work where exchange of bad assets?
Rangers send Deangelo who has possible upside for production and will be motivated, vs he is presumed negative, vs his cheap buyout if desired and short term contract [mid 20s age, 4.8 x 2]
for
Little [age 33, LTIR 5.2+ x 4]
and Perfetti or other acceptable high asset to NY

just spitballin here, not a proposal on this one..

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

You currently show zero cap room, so unless there is a creative workaround [which may/may not exist] you presently have to deal w/a partner who has cap space to spare.

At present it makes more sense to use Deangelo for exp dr exposure and if not taken buy him out super cheap [due to his age] then most trade scenarios incl where NY retains.

Bryan Little is LTIR
will that be permanent?
Can he be bought out while on LTIR, assuming there were a scenario where that made financial sense?

Rangers send Deangelo who has possible upside for production and will be motivated, vs he is presumed negative, vs his cheap buyout if desired and short term contract [mid 20s age, 4.8 x 2]
for

It would be Little for ADA straight Up, dont think we add Perfetti to that nightmare

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Bryan Little is LTIR
will that be permanent?

for

Wait, so not only do we get a player who has proven to be such a monumental headache that no team in the league wants him, but we also get to give up our best prospect?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Bryan Little is LTIR
will that be permanent?

for

bryan little is most likely done now so his contract doesn't hurt us one bit and we still have 2.8 million left in cap space and we have no interest in deangelo

Reactions: hn777

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Wait, so not only do we get a player who has proven to be such a monumental headache that no team in the league wants him, but we also get to give up our best prospect?
That is one of the worst offers I have ever seen, I am legitimately impressed.

Somehow the toxic headache that is Anthony Deangelo, who was waived with nobody claiming him, is worth our top prospect who was just drafted top 10.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The Jets' organization tries real hard to keep DeAngelo types away from our locker room; Winnipeg is the last place he would go. Little's contract is LTIR and he's not going to play again, so it can't be moved to save cap. At the moment, we don't have any bad contracts that we would move; Perreault is going to finish out his contract this year and our only bad contract otherwise is Wheeler, who will never get moved. I don't see any more moves we could make due to the cap and TNSE loyalty, we're going to run what we have.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
First time member to hfboards, first time post. I enjoy the speculative thoughts and comments here for trades.
The Jets desperately need a top R dman, preferably one that shoots right. They have no prospects in that category and the only logic is to trade for one. Burns from the sharks would be ideal . The sharks are in rebuild. I would ship Perfetti for a one for one trade.

Not a chance I would take a soon to be declining Burns with his contract until he’s 39! Is he good? Yes, and I would love to have him if it was for 1-2 years until we see what we have in Samberg/Heinola, but dear god that contract would cripple us for 4 more years.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Ehh, this type of speculation is for offseason (around the expansion draft). Not a great idea to try and fit someone in now, who also has to be quarantined and miss a chunk of the season.

I think we ride with what we got.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
idea was you pay to move Little if that made sense w/Deangelo as a sweetner, but...

bryan little is most likely done now so his contract doesn't hurt us one bit and we still have 2.8 million left in cap space and we have no interest in deangelo
... this which I did not know.

so offer withdrawn

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Welcome aboard! Solid first post.

I like that you started off big. A top pairing #1 d is right there with #1 C among the hardest things to get that no one ever wants to part with.

Burns at 35 has 5 more years at 8 mil. You don't want that contract or any of the big Shark D. All too long, too old . San Jose Sharks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. CapFriendly is a great resource when planning proposals.

Presently the Jets don't have a lot of Cap space but Stasny comes off the books next year at 6mil so I might suggest his salary has to be in the deal with a youth/pick package or it's going to be a huge trade.

I'd say try for an OEL or something but you won't find many top RHD on the offer. You may have to settle for just a #4.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Based on over 60% of HFB Jets fans (poll on our board) having no interest giving up a 1st Rd pick or similar value this year to get D help.....many will not love this thread idea. Only guy I've seen mentioned in this thread I would have any interest in is Manson, but wonder why he's only played 3 games. Plus still the problem of expansion and I'm one of those voters who has no interest in giving up a 1st Rd pick or similar value.....so unless it's one of the COVID cheap trades we saw during the offseason I would hard pass on any trade.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not sure that checks out $ wise... setting aside value.
Fantasy land thinking ADA is going to return a top prospect. Little's contract is no where near the anchor to even consider trading Perfetti as cap relief.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fantasy land thinking ADA is going to return a top prospect. Little's contract is no where near the anchor to even consider trading Perfetti as cap relief.

Jets aren’t trading Cole and certainly wouldn’t trade him for ADA.......Jets are maybe the last team who would take ADA.

Reactions: Pongs21

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba is a RHD. MN is going to either have to trade him, or go 4+4 at the ED. I would think that they would be open to trading him rather than lose him or Greenway at the Seattle ED, but would need something significant coming back. I don't see them retaining much.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad