Speculation: Jets need of a top right defense

whajetfan

Nov 16, 2020
First time member to hfboards, first time post. I enjoy the speculative thoughts and comments here for trades.
The Jets desperately need a top R dman, preferably one that shoots right. They have no prospects in that category and the only logic is to trade for one. Burns from the sharks would be ideal . The sharks are in rebuild. I would ship Perfetti for a one for one trade.

Make it happen Chevy... or the Jets fans shall start shopping for a Ford...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
There's literally nobody so no point in ranting about it. Just either hope one of our RHD prospects pan out or put a LHD on the right side until a RHD comes back up. Pionk is as good as it gets, and at the moment DeMelo.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
First time member to hfboards, first time post. I enjoy the speculative thoughts and comments here for trades.
The Jets desperately need a top R dman, preferably one that shoots right. They have no prospects in that category and the only logic is to trade for one. Burns from the sharks would be ideal . The sharks are in rebuild. I would ship Perfetti for a one for one trade.

Make it happen Chevy... or the Jets fans shall start shopping for a Ford...

Welcome! I frequent every once in a blue moon for the speculation as well...

I've been banging on the Ristolainen to WPG drum for years now, do you think they'd still be interested? There have been rumors in the past linking the player and team in trade speculation. Ristolainen is by no means a perfect player and definitely has his faults, but as someone who has watched nearly every game he's played as a Sabre, I know he's very talented and has a lot more to give if given a restart in a better setting and situation. The environment in Buffalo has run beyond stale and we definitely need a shake-up.

We've got Montour at RHD to trade as well for much less of an ask back than Risto, but again since I watch every Sabres game, my advice... I'd run away from that idea.

Reactions: whajetfan

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
At the risk of starting a shitstorm, DeAngelo.

40 games of getting drill sergeant treatment from Wheeler in the icy tundras of Winnipeg while knowing he's on his last last chance. And if he messes up the buyout is like 800k. No one else with remotely the same level of value/talent disparity

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
There's literally nobody so no point in ranting about it. Just either hope one of our RHD prospects pan out or put a LHD on the right side until a RHD comes back up. Pionk is as good as it gets, and at the moment DeMelo.

Sabres have RHD (both roster and prospects) available that we'd move... you'll just have to adjust your definition of a "top" RHD slightly... (nobody acquires any top RHD via trade without paying a king's ransom anyways, if we're being honest)

Roster:
Ristolainen
Montour
Miller

Prospects:
Borgen
Laaksonen
Fitzgerald

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Sabres have RHD (both roster and prospects) available that we'd move... you'll just have to adjust your definition of a "top" RHD slightly... (nobody acquires any top RHD via trade without paying a king's ransom anyways, if we're being honest)

Roster:
Ristolainen
Montour
Miller

Prospects:
Borgen
Laaksonen
Fitzgerald

I'd be down for Ristolainen but I think that ship has sailed in terms of acquiring him.

Reactions: RCAFguy

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If we trade for a top RHD, it just screws us for expansion and we'll end up losing a better player. We already have Morrissey, Pionk and arguably DeMelo (as bad as he's been lately), so giving up an asset for another D-man that requires protection guarantees we lose a half-decent defenseman anyway. That's poor asset management.

No GM, Chevy included, is going to let the possibility of losing a DeMelo level player get in the way of acquiring a top-pairing RHD. His rental value was a 3rd and he signed for $3 mil; the league doesn’t value him highly. There are reasons why this probably won’t happen, from acquisition cost to general availability, but this is not one.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I would be ecstatic if a Burns for Perfetti trade were actually made, but from the Jets perspective I think it's a bad deal.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
No GM, Chevy included, is going to let the possibility of losing a DeMelo level player get in the way of acquiring a top-pairing RHD. His rental value was a 3rd and he signed for $3 mil; the league doesn’t value him highly. There are reasons why this probably won’t happen, from acquisition cost to general availability, but this is not one.

This guy is pretty on point.

At the risk of starting a shitstorm, DeAngelo.

40 games of getting drill sergeant treatment from Wheeler in the icy tundras of Winnipeg while knowing he's on his last last chance. And if he messes up the buyout is like 800k. No one else with remotely the same level of value/talent disparity

Pretty hard no.

Welcome! I frequent every once in a blue moon for the speculation as well...

I've been banging on the Ristolainen to WPG drum for years now, do you think they'd still be interested? There have been rumors in the past linking the player and team in trade speculation. Ristolainen is by no means a perfect player and definitely has his faults, but as someone who has watched nearly every game he's played as a Sabre, I know he's very talented and has a lot more to give if given a restart in a better setting and situation. The environment in Buffalo has run beyond stale and we definitely need a shake-up.

We've got Montour at RHD to trade as well for much less of an ask back than Risto, but again since I watch every Sabres game, my advice... I'd run away from that idea.

While he'd be a good pickup, I don't see anything I think the Jets would be willing to part with that the Sabres would even consider.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'd rather see what we have in house and then filling needs if they still exist rather than trading futures to fill holes and keeping in house players from getting opportunities a la Roslovic. The Jets' prospect pool could look a lot better right now if we'd just given him a chance at 2C instead of trading 1sts. Now we don't have those 1st round picks or Roslovic. Who himself was also a 1st round pick.

Reactions: hn777

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I'd be down for Ristolainen but I think that ship has sailed in terms of acquiring him.

You're probably right, and the Sabres lack of stability in the front office is probably the reason for that.

Quite sure it was the 2019 offseason (year after Ehler's worst as a Jet) that something around Risto for Ehlers was being floated... still lose sleep wondering if that was actually true or not. What a huge miss by Buffalo if it was.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kevin Shattenkirk is your guy. Dude has been awesome this season, and with Drysdale coming up as early as next season, need to open a spot for him. Will be sad to see Kevin go, but it's ok, Ducks will get by. :sarcasm:

Reactions: wraparound

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
You're probably right, and the Sabres lack of stability in the front office is probably the reason for that.

Quite sure it was the 2019 offseason (year after Ehler's worst as a Jet) that something around Risto for Ehlers was being floated... still lose sleep wondering if that was actually true or not. What a huge miss by Buffalo if it was.

Jets fans have never wanted to trade Ehlers, I do remember it being included in a lot of proposals, but never got any support on our side. I can't think of many players that would make us a better team overall if we lost #27 to get them; his zone entries, speed and transition play are very rare in the league.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
While he'd be a good pickup, I don't see anything I think the Jets would be willing to part with that the Sabres would even consider.

At risk of sounding like the crazy, delusional fan posting garbage online in a message board... as long as it doesn't involve Eichel, Dahlin, or Cozens, at this point I'm probably listening.

Not saying I want to sell everything but those 3... just saying a big, maybe surprising, shake-up move where the Sabres trade a widely considered high-value player/prospect is not off the table in my mind.

We're about to hit 10 straight seasons without playoffs this season (couldn't even make it in the expanded playoffs last year - unreal)
I'm open to a lot of different trade ideas at this point

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Jets fans have never wanted to trade Ehlers, I do remember it being included in a lot of proposals, but never got any support on our side. I can't think of many players that would make us a better team overall if we lost #27 to get them; his zone entries, speed and transition play are very rare in the league.

No doubt. Even at the time, after the down year from Ehlers, Jets fans were majority against trading Ehlers was the response back I got at the time, so no argument there... just bringing it up cause it was very hot in the rumor mill then. I would've put the full press on from the BUF side if I knew there was even a real chance of them pulling it off. Ehler's speed and finishing ability on Eichel's wing had me salivating.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->