Speculation: Jets need of a top right defense

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's because of the Little LTIR. To my admittedly limited understanding, they can exceed the cap by ~$5.2mil (Little's salary), which they haven't totally used

Also worth mentioning that you cannot "bank" LTIR space the way you can regular cap space, meaning they had ~$2.8mil to spend yesterday, today and a month from now

Again, that's my limited understanding of the situation. Believe Capfriendly has LTIR space listed somewhere as well

My understanding is also limited, have a ballpark plus idea but can get tripped up on these details. However, what I pitched was as to if this might be a win win at some level.

If LTIR giveth AND taketh away, if it something that can be a temporary loophole for cap space generally BUT once certain conditions kick in it can become a headache, MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE
if NYR have enough incentive they take Little and then just cut a check and buy him out. [Of course since this is not a compliance buyout, and instead a regular buyout w/partial cap hits next following years, Rangers need big incentive to go there, instead of just buying out Deangelo on the cheap if SEA doesn't take him. Hence my ask to include a signif asset.]

best bet is prob no Deangelo to Jets, NY buys him out for cap recovery.

Dumba could be a great fit if MIN and WIN [wpg] can agree on price.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The problem with Dumba would be coming to terms on a deal. Perfetti is too much, their 1st isn't enough by itself, but there aren't a lot of great prospects I'd be interested in adding to it. And someone like Heinola would be too much to add to the 1st. Plus Jets are deep in D prospects, and the Wild don't really need those.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets have Samberg at RD to begin the AHL season, and he looks ready to make a difference in the NHL. I think he could have a similar impact as Pesce or Manson as a big, shutdown D.

Reactions: Nedarb and hn777

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The problem with Dumba would be coming to terms on a deal. Perfetti is too much, their 1st isn't enough by itself, but there aren't a lot of great prospects I'd be interested in adding to it. And someone like Heinola would be too much to add to the 1st. Plus Jets are deep in D prospects, and the Wild don't really need those.

Even if the Jets traded for a top 4 D, I don’t see Dumba as a guy they would target. I think they would sooner target a more physical big defensively minded D.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Lmao at the Rangers fans thinking Deangelo is worth anything in a trade. He’s completely done, nobody is going to take a chance on him unless it lets another team get a ton of cap off the books, and the rangers wouldn’t accept because it’s easier just to buy him out later. This is worse than Ho-Sang by a long shot because he proved himself to be a good young defender. Too bad his brain won’t let him go anywhere.

I know Canucks will never touch him with a ten foot pole and I’m thankful but in terms of value, it’d be a deal of Eriksson and Rooster for him. No picks, no prospects, no gain. He’s done.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Letang if you could get him to waive his NTC.

You'd probably need to extend his contract to get him to bite.

What could you give back? We need wingers who better fit with Malkin and Crosby. Both Zucker and Kapanen are good players but the fit is looking real iffy right now. I guess we could just grab Perfetti and then look to address our winger situation later.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

What could you give back? We need wingers who better fit with Malkin and Crosby. Both Zucker and Kapanen are good players but the fit is looking real iffy right now. I guess we could just grab Perfetti and then look to address our winger situation later.
there is no world where we trade perfetti for letang, sorry

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
there is no world where we trade perfetti for letang, sorry

Do you think he's bad?

Or is it just that he's old?

I can tell you he's still one of the best RD in the league. Maybe not top 5 anymore but certainly top 15. The Pens are just a broken team right now and the entrenched leadership core isn't helping. A shakeup is needed.

I don't know Letang's value around the league. I know he's a divisive player...if you think he's a space cadet who is a net negative to a team he's obviously worth nothing. If you see the value in him, well, that's a different story. Maybe he's not worth last year's #10 overall but what else would you put on the table (assuming you don't think he sucks).

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Why is it that for such elite centres they are so particular on wingers and have an incredibly hard time finding fits. When they do it’s players you’d never guess like Dupuis and Kunitz. Malkin has yet to have a steady winger. So many options have been tried over the years, from elite to grinders. For both actually. I thought Guentzel and Rust were options with success recently? Did something happen?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Do you think he's bad?

Or is it just that he's old?

I can tell you he's still one of the best RD in the league. Maybe not top 5 anymore but certainly top 15. The Pens are just a broken team right now and the entrenched leadership core isn't helping. A shakeup is needed.

I don't know Letang's value around the league. I know he's a divisive player...if you think he's a space cadet who is a net negative to a team he's obviously worth nothing. If you see the value in him, well, that's a different story. Maybe he's not worth last year's #10 overall but what else would you put on the table (assuming you don't think he sucks).

He's a fine D still, but a draft and develop team like the Jets aren't trading their top 10 pick prospect who was projected to be a top 5-7 pick by many pre draft for a guy with 1.5 years on his deal and who is just about to turn 34 yrs old. Plus reports I've heard are Pens aren't rebuilding

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we trade for a top RHD, it just screws us for expansion and we'll end up losing a better player. We already have Morrissey, Pionk and arguably DeMelo (as bad as he's been lately), so giving up an asset for another D-man that requires protection guarantees we lose a half-decent defenseman anyway. That's poor asset management.

Poor asset management is passing on an upgrade so that you can protect Dylan DeMelo in the expansion draft. You're going to lose a good player to them no matter what you do. Heck, most teams would be pleased if all they lost to Seattle was DeMelo.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Poor asset management is passing on an upgrade so that you can protect Dylan DeMelo in the expansion draft. You're going to lose a good player to them no matter what you do. Heck, most teams would be pleased if all they lost to Seattle was DeMelo.
I agree, Demelo is not as good has he was last seson, so would not cry a river if he is taken, but problem is, not sure we can find the right fit with players on the market.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
My understanding is also limited, have a ballpark plus idea but can get tripped up on these details. However, what I pitched was as to if this might be a win win at some level.

If LTIR giveth AND taketh away, if it something that can be a temporary loophole for cap space generally BUT once certain conditions kick in it can become a headache, MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE
if NYR have enough incentive they take Little and then just cut a check and buy him out. [Of course since this is not a compliance buyout, and instead a regular buyout w/partial cap hits next following years, Rangers need big incentive to go there, instead of just buying out Deangelo on the cheap if SEA doesn't take him. Hence my ask to include a signif asset.]

best bet is prob no Deangelo to Jets, NY buys him out for cap recovery.

Dumba could be a great fit if MIN and WIN [wpg] can agree on price.
So you had to go through the mental gymnastics of doing the absolute dumbest thing a GM can do in this situation to some how give the Rangers a ridiculous value. Why would you buy buy out a player on LTIR? Well, other than to extract value from another team on a pretend trade board. Little isn’t costing any significant real dollars and is on LTIR. This isn’t a Marleau situation, this is a Clarkson situation.

Clarkson + 4th

for

Sparks

And I still don’t know why the Jets do it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why is it that for such elite centres they are so particular on wingers and have an incredibly hard time finding fits. When they do it’s players you’d never guess like Dupuis and Kunitz. Malkin has yet to have a steady winger. So many options have been tried over the years, from elite to grinders. For both actually. I thought Guentzel and Rust were options with success recently? Did something happen?

If you take a look at our board, it's basically "winger-fit" gate. Crosby wants both Guentzel and Rust, and Kapanen and Zucker don't actually mesh well with Malkin.

Crosby and especially Malkin are also aging and not nearly as good as they once were. Though Malkin was excellent last year.

Reactions: Leafs87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->