Jets Media - TV, YouTube, Radio etc

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Most of the funny stand up content isn't radio friendly, doesn't seem like a great concept to me.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ok let’s cut to the chase. Anyone have any insight on who or what will step in to fill the void. Surely Power 97 must see an opportunity here to add some sports content. They have the infrastructure and they know the guys already. Why not add a morning and afternoon show?

They won't put sports on the traditionally prime time hours (morning show until 9 or 10, and the drive home hours of around 4-6). That's just leaves around 10 to 3 to put some on, or at night. Not great radio times.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I haven't had cable for 6 months, watching Jets games is quite doable - legally - and its neither expensive nor difficult.

Can you tell us the source of where you watch the Jet's games ?? that's not expensive. What medium do you use, and what's the price ?? I'm very interested, and eventually would like to cut cable out. Can you let me know -thanks :)

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
I recall an earlier iteration of this station changing formats which included someone making bitter and somewhat raunchy statements on air. Must have been in the mid 90’s, around lunchtime on a pleasant day. I’m sorry for the workers at the current station and all the fans who liked it.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015

Can you tell us the source of where you watch the Jet's games ?? that's not expensive. What medium do you use, and what's the price ?? I'm very interested, and eventually would like to cut cable out. Can you let me know -thanks :)
You’re best bet is to get NHL Centre Ice. Up to 4 people can be watching on each account so you can split the cost with one or a couple of people. If you live in Winnipeg the Jets games will be blacked out. Just have to get a VPN and you’re golden.

Reactions: GNP

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I haven't had cable for 6 months, watching Jets games is quite doable - legally - and its neither expensive nor difficult.

I'm listening, but I'm not sure either the allowed or naughty methods can accommodate one of my main criteria--the ability to time shift the game without having the score spoiled--I don't think either of TSN or Sportsnet allow this--and a UI with which I can skip commercials and stoppages as immediately and predictably as a DVR. Waiting five seconds for it to buffer just to skip ten seconds would drive me mad.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Just have to get a VPN and you’re golden.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good VPN?

I have Rogers GCL which works well - unless the Jets are paying Calgary / Edmonton. Which forces me to try and watch on cable which I have, but isn't nearly as convenient (plus doesn't give me my sweet, sweet Dennis Beyak fix).

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Assuming you have internet service, there are legal ways to cut the cable and watch all of those things for less money than a cable subscription.

There are also ways to do it for free but sharing would be in violation of the forum's rules.

Recently I've been going the legitimate route, using shared TSN and Sportsnet digital subscriptions. Different members of my immediate family pay for them, and I pay for Spotify and Disney+ which my family members use. Other family members pay for Netflix and Crave for us all to use as well. The key is keeping the bubble small; ours is immediate family only.

Of course, happy to do so. I hope I'm not breaking any rules - mods just delete this if you want, I have no desire to stir up trouble.:thumbu:

@Evil Little
@GNP and @ps241 -> @Spock wrote about it in post #479 in this thread.

This is how I do it, and it uses all very legal components:

1. Get a nice fast wifi service for your home. I like Shaw, its cheap (er), and has some good hardware.
2. Buy your TSN and Sportsnet subscriptions, on-line. Not super expensive.
3. Get a smart TV that can do mirroring from a laptop. I like Chromecast, some newer Sony TVs support this. On the bottom right of your stream, you will find a small Chromecast square icon. ID your powered up TV (a window will activate), tap the Chromecast and your are golden. The laptop shakes hands with the TV via your wifi, et voila*. Alternatively just guide the TV to TSN or Sportsnet using its web function.
3. Mirror the games from your laptop (what I do) OR just create a TSN and Sportsnet bookmark in your TV and run it directly from the web.
4. Get a small group of family to chip in if you like. But keep your group nice and small.
5, :jets

:bb:

* I use an Apple MacBook pro, and a Sony 65" TV in the living room. I notice a 3-5 second delay when I'm watching vs cable feed, not too bad. I guess some won't go for that kind of delay.

Notes
- The picture is awesome, no chop. Of course you can watch any of the five different TSN or multiple Sportsnet feeds (channels?).

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You’re best bet is to get NHL Centre Ice. Up to 4 people can be watching on each account so you can split the cost with one or a couple of people. If you live in Winnipeg the Jets games will be blacked out. Just have to get a VPN and you’re golden.

Thanks for that JetsNut -- I guess I'll have to get a VPN. All this technology is changing so fast, it's hard to keep up with. Do you have any suggestions for a good VPN at a decent price ?? I've been thinking of getting one for a quite awhile now.

BTW -- How much per month does NHL Center Ice cost ??

I'm not a super hi -tech guy, but learning everyday.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Of course, happy to do so. I hope I'm not breaking any rules - mods just delete this if you want, I have no desire to stir up trouble.:thumbu:

@Evil Little

1. Get a nice fast wifi service for your home. I like Shaw, its cheap (er), and has some good hardware.
3. Get a smart TV that can do mirroring from a laptop. I like Chromecast, some newer Sony TVs support this. On the bottom right of your stream, you will find a small Chromecast square icon. ID your powered up TV (a window will activate), tap the Chromecast and your are golden. The laptop shakes hands with the TV via your wifi, et voila*. Alternatively just guide the TV to TSN or Sportsnet using its web function.
3. Set up your account and mirror the games from your laptop (what I do) OR just create a TSN and Sportsnet bookmark in your TV and run it directly from the web.
4. Get a small group of family to chip in if you like. But keep your group nice and small.

* I use an Apple MacBook pro, and a Sony 65" TV in the living room. I notice a 3-5 second delay when I'm watching vs cable feed, not too bad. I guess some won't go for that kind of delay. Watching the Leafs -Canadiens game as we speak.

Yikes Kanadalainen -- your quite the hi -tech guy, as I don't even have a smart TV. It's hard to keep up with all this changing technology, and I really like to keep things basic, as life is complicated as it is, and I like to watch TV or a Hockey Game to get away from life for awhile.

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Yikes Kanadalainen -- your quite the hi -tech guy, as I don't even have a smart TV. It's hard to keep up with all this changing technology, and I really like to keep things basic, as life is complicated as it is, and I like to watch TV or a Hockey Game to get away from life for awhile.

Honestly, this tech is really mainstream now. I bet if you tried it you will get used to it within a week. Its awesome to shed the yoke of cable. The first link up is daunting. My (young) kids gave me all the ideas... they force me to keep up. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

@Evil Little

3. Mirror the games from your laptop (what I do) OR just create a TSN and Sportsnet bookmark in your TV and run it directly from the web.

* I use an Apple MacBook pro, and a Sony 65" TV in the living room. I notice a 3-5 second delay when I'm watching vs cable feed, not too bad. I guess some won't go for that kind of delay.

Notes
- The picture is awesome, no chop. Of course you can watch any of the five different TSN or multiple Sportsnet feeds (channels?).

Samsung TVs have a built in TSN app, and Fire sticks have Sportsnet built in. No computers, cords, or casting of any kind for me. I got sick of doing that so I splurged on ease of use.

The Fire stick's internet browser works better than the Samsung one for other streams, too.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015

Thanks for that JetsNut -- I guess I'll have to get a VPN. All this technology is changing so fast, it's hard to keep up with. Do you have any suggestions for a good VPN at a decent price ?? I've been thinking of getting one for a quite awhile now.

A good VPN is around 50 USD per year. Cyber Ghost is a decent one. NHL Centre Ice is around 200 for the season I believe.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Radio rights used to be important when only a relative few games were on TV. With all games on TV, who listens to them on radio anymore?

I prefer having the radio on as it allows me to be active or do stuff around the house. But I am 45 and grew up with radio as my primary Jets source, so nostalgia weighs in. Plus, I'm an odd duck. lol

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

You don't even need a VPN... use a DNS based spoofing service like yonder.tv (I have used this in a past and recommend it). It's cheaper, less intrusive than a VPN and you can use it to watch games on NHL TV/Center Ice even if you are watching via the app on your xbox or smart tv or whatever.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You don't even need a VPN... use a DNS based spoofing service like yonder.tv (I have used this in a past and recommend it). It's cheaper, less intrusive than a VPN and you can use it to watch games on NHL TV/Center Ice even if you are watching via the app on your xbox or smart tv or whatever.

Thanks for your advice Jets815 -- but I think I'm going to have to get up to date with all this stuff. I have no idea what a DNS based spoofing service is, and I don't have an xbox, or smart TV.

All I have right now is a Lap top, and just bought an HDMI cable to plug into my laptop, but I can't seem to get the picture, to transfer to my TV screen, which is what I really want.

I guess I'm going to have to hire someone to come over to my house, and bring me up to date, in this fast changing world. The DNS spoofing service sounds like a good idea, but I wouldn't know where to begin :huh:

Reactions: sipowicz

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Nice re: blacking out Jet games. First of all, you can’t even go to games right now. Second, it’s always sold out when you can!

Reactions: JetsNut

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Nice re: blacking out Jet games. First of all, you can’t even go to games right now. Second, it’s always sold out when you can!
It is blacked out because they want you to watch the game through your local broadcaster so that the regional broadcasts can make money (ie. TSN 3 in Winnipeg). It is like that in every single market, the local team is blacked out on Center Ice/NHL live. The whole point of those products is to watch out of market games, they always specify out of market games in their advertising for them.

This description is taken directly from the NHL website for Gamecenter Live

"NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is now NHL.TV™.
Watch out-of-market games and replays with an all new redesigned media player, mobile and connected device apps."

It clearly states that you can watch out of market games.

Here is the description for NHL Center Ice on Shaw

Shaw is pleased to offer NHL Centre Ice for the 2021 hockey season! Delivering up to 37 regular season out-of-market NHL games per week in high definition, NHL Centre Ice gives you access to every bone-crushing hit, every top corner snipe and every pad-stacking save that takes place outside of your local viewing area. It’s the ultimate package for hockey fans.

Again it clearly states that you can watch out of market games.

These service were never designed to allow you to watch your local team. If you want to watch your local team you are expected to do that through that teams regional broadcaster which for the Jets would be TSN 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigZ65

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It is blacked out because they want you to watch the game through your local broadcaster so that the regional broadcasts can make money (ie. TSN 3 in Winnipeg). It is like that in every single market, the local team is blacked out on Center Ice/NHL live. The whole point of those products is to watch out of market games, they always specify out of market games in their advertising for them.

This description is taken directly from the NHL website for Gamecenter Live

"NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is now NHL.TV™.
Watch out-of-market games and replays with an all new redesigned media player, mobile and connected device apps."

It clearly states that you can watch out of market games.

Here is the description for NHL Center Ice on Shaw

Shaw is pleased to offer NHL Centre Ice for the 2021 hockey season! Delivering up to 37 regular season out-of-market NHL games per week in high definition, NHL Centre Ice gives you access to every bone-crushing hit, every top corner snipe and every pad-stacking save that takes place outside of your local viewing area. It’s the ultimate package for hockey fans.

Again it clearly states that you can watch out of market games.

These service were never designed to allow you to watch your local team. If you want to watch your local team you are expected to do that through that teams regional broadcaster which for the Jets would be TSN 3.
My apologies. I have TSN 3 so I don’t get blackouts, wasn’t as familiar with this package. It’s funny though, because I’ll get Laffs and Flames/Oilers games blacked out occasionally.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
My apologies. I have TSN 3 so I don’t get blackouts, wasn’t as familiar with this package. It’s funny though, because I’ll get Laffs and Flames/Oilers games blacked out occasionally.

This is because those are regional games and you're outside their regional broadcast area. These can be on Sportsnet or TSN, but the TSN games from outside the Jets regional broadcast area are relegated to the other TSN channels (TSN 4 and TSN 5) which may be why you don't notice this phenomenon with the Senators or Habs.

To those outside the Jets broadcast area (MB, SK, North ON, NT, NWT) no TSN Jets games are available.

In addition to these regional broadcasts there are also national broadcasts, which are available to everyone in Canada without blackout. Last I checked that was mostly Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad