OT: Jets Lounge: This place is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
This place is weird.

Thats what she said when she came to my place first time..

Top tip of the day: when you are changing tires to your car, and someone says to put something under the car to support it, in case the jack suddenly breaks, listen to those wise words! And don't rest your feet under the car when changing tires while sitting on a ground.

Video related, i was yelling like good old Clarkson and dad was laughing like May when the jack suddenly died..

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Went with the Wife to see Luke Bryan the other night. I don't mind country but my wife loves it. Luke is a very female friendly entertainer and not really country enough for me but whatever he
sells. He doesn't cheat his fans which is cool.

Strange thing happened though because we went in a bit early as the second act was in his last few songs and I was blown away by the vocal quality of the singer. Incredible power and pitch perfect. His name was Randy Houser and he crushed "like a Cowboy" which I had never heard.

The other time this happened was when I was in Ottawa and joined some friends to see Cold Play and since we were in a box we were around for the opening act and it was my favourite live vocal performance ever. His name was Richard Ashcroft who was with his band vs the Verve who he usually was lead for. Apparently Richard is a bit bigger in Europe but he is a spectacular singer live.

Keep in mind I am talking live performances in both cases.

Always good to keep an open mind.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Went with the Wife to see Luke Bryan the other night. I don't mind country but my wife loves it. Luke is a very female friendly entertainer and not really country enough for me but he whatever sells. He doesn't cheat his fans which is cool.

Strange thing happened though because we went in a bit early as the second act was in his last few songs and I was blown away by the vocal quality of the singer. Incredible power and pitch perfect. His name was Randy Houser and he crushed "like a Cowboy" which I had never heard.

The other time this happened was when I was in Ottawa and joined some friends to see Cold Play and since we were in a box we were around for the opening act and it was my favourite live vocal performance ever. His name was Richard Ashcroft who was with his band vs the Verve who he usually was lead for. Apparently Richard is a bit bigger in Europe but he is a spectacular singer live.

Randy Houser is awesome. I really like "How Country Feels" and "Running out of Moonlight". He reminds me a lot of What's his name from Brooks n Dunn.

I've also had this happen once. Me and my best friend went to see the Powerball Strength in Numbers tour...and it was the powerball that was fifty bucks instead of 19.97 like the rest of them were...and even at that Sum 41 didn't even play and were replaced by a band called Inward Eye...

Anyways, I digress. The opening act was a band called Die Mannequin(they also did the theme song for the NCAA a few years back) and they were amazing. Totally stole the show for me, when the main event was Finger 11.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Went with the Wife to see Luke Bryan the other night. I don't mind country but my wife loves it. Luke is a very female friendly entertainer and not really country enough for me but whatever he

I'm with you, ps.

Keeping in mind I am a country fan by forced osmosis :laugh:.

Luke Bryan has always sounded like Gomer Pyle to me. Never really enjoyed his music. Randy Houser is pretty damned phenomenal, and more than a couple people told me he was the star of the show.

If you are looking for great country artists, Dallas Smith is an instant winner. Was the lead singer of Default (one of my favorite rock bands of the 00's) and he is an even better country performer than rock.

Chad Brownlee is fantastic as well. Canadian country can be a bit schmaltzy (George Canyon, Paul Brandt) but there are a lot of incredible artists out there. To be fair, Paul Brandt has some great songs I just find lots of his music to be a bit simple.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm with you, ps.

Luke Bryan has always sounded like Gomer Pyle to me. Never really enjoyed his music. Randy Houser is pretty damned phenomenal, and more than a couple people told me he was the star of the show.

If you are looking for great country artists, Dallas Smith is an instant winner. Was the lead singer of Default (one of my favorite rock bands of the 00's) and he is an even better country performer than rock.

Chad Brownlee is fantastic as well. Canadian country can be a bit schmaltzy (George Canyon, Paul Brandt) but there are a lot of incredible artists out there. To be fair, Paul Brandt has some great songs I just find lots of his music to be a bit simple.

schmaltzy is a word? :laugh: Interesting. "schmaltzig" in German.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay

Good stuff PS. I'll vouch for Richard Ashcroft...FWIW. :laugh:
I liked his stuff. Always found it easy to just zone out to. Clear your head and focus kind of zone for me.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Does anybody know if they already voted for the HF boards GDT of the year? I want to see that thread and I want to nominate some of our own threads.

And if somebody wants to nominate my German GDT about Merkel visiting Draisaitl, I wouldn't be very angry. :>

'edit'

and I found something beautiful on the main board

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm with you, ps.

Thanks for the heads up Jet. I will check out your recommendations.

Funny you mentioned George Canyon. I think on the main boards somewhere I might have said that whole schtick of him doing the anthem in Calgary is cheesy bad (Schmaltzy) on so many levels and I had a poster from Calgary say "you mean the award winning country star" like somehow that makes it less of a train wreck :help:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Not sure if the Cheer (corner of Osborne and Stradbrooke) is still open (or still called that) but they had one. I haven't lived in Winnipeg for a few years.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
That's one of our German "loan words" in English. Means the same thing: overly sentimental.

I think we loaned it from Yiddish to be precise (which, of course, was just a weird mixture of German and Hebrew).

the_more_you_know-195x128.jpg

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
There is German in Yiddish?

the_more_you_know-195x128.jpg

In onheyb hot got bashafn dem himl un di erd.
Un di erd iz geven vist un leydik, un fintsternish iz geven oyfn gezikht fun tehom, un der gayst fun got hot geshwebt oyfn gezikht fun di vasern.
Hot got gezogt: zol vern likht. Un es iz gevorn likht.
Un got hot gezen dos likht az es iz gut; un got hot fanandergesheydt tsvishn dem likht un tsvishn der fintsternish.

Don't tell me you can't read this.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
In onheyb hot got bashafn dem himl un di erd.
Un di erd iz geven vist un leydik, un fintsternish iz geven oyfn gezikht fun tehom, un der gayst fun got hot geshwebt oyfn gezikht fun di vasern.
Hot got gezogt: zol vern likht. Un es iz gevorn likht.
Un got hot gezen dos likht az es iz gut; un got hot fanandergesheydt tsvishn dem likht un tsvishn der fintsternish.

Don't tell me you can't read this.

Most of it if I think about what it means according to the sentence. Similar to how we understand Dutch - parts but not everything. Believe it or not but this is the first time in my life I see Jiddish written down.

I can't decipher the words in red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1