OT: Jets Lounge: post a Star Wars spoiler == Infraction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I finally saw Star Wars: TFA today. Basically, the movie [spoil]nearly completely recycles the plot of ANH[/spoil], is poorly paced, has too many action set pieces, no exposition, and is full of one dimensional characters. It's a summer action blockbuster movie that was released in the winter. Not that impressed by it at all.

Well film critics disagree with you as it's been well reviewed. 81 on metacritic, 94% on rotten tomatoes. And those are the last people that would buy into fanboy hype.

It was actually quite well paced. It lacked exposition sure that was a minor quibble I had with it. One dimensional characters? Um no, not sure what you could mean here. And remember it's a trilogy, so it's got two more movies to build on.

Remember it's Star Wars as well. A New Hope INVENTED the summer blockbuster. So really not sure what you were expecting? It puts summer blockbusters like Jurassic World, Transformers, etc TO SHAME.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Well film critics disagree with you as it's been well reviewed. 81 on metacritic, 94% on rotten tomatoes. And those are the last people that would buy into fanboy hype.

It was actually quite well paced. It lacked exposition sure that was a minor quibble I had with it. One dimensional characters? Um no, not sure what you could mean here. And remember it's a trilogy, so it's got two more movies to build on.

Remember it's Star Wars as well. A New Hope INVENTED the summer blockbuster. So really not sure what you were expecting? It puts summer blockbusters like Jurassic World, Transformers, etc TO SHAME.

Yup. I guess that because the film critics positively reviewed the movie, I should like it as well. Excellent appeal to authority there. Remember how the film critics also poo-poohed on Citizen Kane when it was first released? Now it's considered one of the greatest movies ever made. The movie critics aren't infallible, and are usually so far up their own ass that you can smell **** on their breath.

The pacing was ****ing terrible, mate. The entire thing felt rushed and they gave you no time to settle yourself before the next action set piece happened. Every scene was chock full of random background noise and characters. It was a chaotic, discordant mess.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yup. I guess that because the film critics positively reviewed the movie, I should like it as well. Excellent appeal to authority there. Remember how the film critics also poo-poohed on Citizen Kane when it was first released? Now it's considered one of the greatest movies ever made. The movie critics aren't infallible, and are usually so far up their own ass that you can smell **** on their breath.

The pacing was ****ing terrible, mate. The entire thing felt rushed and they gave you no time to settle yourself before the next action set piece happened. Every scene was chock full of random background noise and characters. It was a chaotic, discordant mess.

I didn't say that. I said they disagreed with you. And no I don't remember Citizen Kane reviews, the movie is a little older than me. Nor do I care that they make mistakes, that is well known. They are right so much more than the average movie goer (not saying that's you, just so we're clear) it's not even funny.

Didn't feel rushed at all to me. It moved along well. Didn't get bogged down in forced exposition like the prequels. Yes they matter since this movie was intentionally trying wipe those away. That's why it's a faster moving movie with little exposition, trying to move it away from prequels. It's also movie 1 of 3, so yeah there was a lot of setup involved while also creating a stand alone story. It did what it set out to do real well. It had some really nice character moments with two main characters as well, their chemistry worked well, IMO.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I am going to get crucified for saying this but Intersteller was better, which was also better than any of Star Trek movies. JJ Abrams' shtick seems to be getting pretty generic with these big budget blockbuster movies. I was a fan of his because of LOST but it doesn't seem to show up in his movies.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I am going to get crucified for saying this but Intersteller was better, which was also better than any of Star Trek movies. JJ Abrams' shtick seems to be getting pretty generic with these big budget blockbuster movies. I was a fan of his because of LOST but it doesn't seem to show up in his movies.

Interstellar was a far better movie but I enjoyed Star Wars and Star Trek more. Quality and entertainment aren't mutually exclusive but they are not completely related either.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Interstellar is a better movie than Star Wars for sure. Like Strongeer said I probably enjoyed Star Wars more for entertainment.

Star Trek is alright but nothing special. JJ has always said he is a Star Wars fan first. He brought Star Wars to Star Trek with the reboots but it just doesn't work as well there. Now it Star Wars he's hit his stride moreso. Star Trek meanwhile has just decided to tank the franchise (director of Fast and the Furious to Star Trek? how stupid can you be).

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I didn't say that. I said they disagreed with you. And no I don't remember Citizen Kane reviews, the movie is a little older than me. Nor do I care that they make mistakes, that is well known. They are right so much more than the average movie goer (not saying that's you, just so we're clear) it's not even funny.

Didn't feel rushed at all to me. It moved along well. Didn't get bogged down in forced exposition like the prequels. Yes they matter since this movie was intentionally trying wipe those away. That's why it's a faster moving movie with little exposition, trying to move it away from prequels. It's also movie 1 of 3, so yeah there was a lot of setup involved while also creating a stand alone story. It did what it set out to do real well. It had some really nice character moments with two main characters as well, their chemistry worked well, IMO.

You were comfortable with the pacing. That's fine. I wasn't. That's also fine. i'm also fine with them moving away from the prequels, as those were really bad movies. I liked how they turned the Force back into a mystical governing force instead of a science petri dish. I also really like how they made LightSabre fighting _actual_ sword fighting, and not the stupid bull**** the prequels did. They had _some_ decent character moments, but all the actors felt like they were rushing to the next scene. Sorry, but I couldn't enjoy that.

Here's hoping Episode VIII is like Episode V, because that movie was the ****.

Edit: Why the **** is the site auto-editing lightsaber? Why is it turning it into Sabre? Why the **** does it care? Let me type what the **** I want to type, you ****ing piece of php garbage.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Interstellar was a far better movie but I enjoyed Star Wars and Star Trek more. Quality and entertainment aren't mutually exclusive but they are not completely related either.

Different kind of movies for sure. I mean Star Wars TFA isn't going to get a Best Picture nomination. But it did what it's supposed to do. Provide light action-entertainment for all ages. I found it nicely crafted, well-performed, and fun.

My favourite movie this year? Mad Max Fury Road. Blew me away. Favourite doesn't mean 'best'. :)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Edit: Why the **** is the site auto-editing lightSabre? Why is it turning it into Sabre? Why the **** does it care? Let me type what the **** I want to type, you ****ing piece of php garbage.

Haha. There's a reason for that. One of the site controllers is a Buffalo SabREs fan and he got sick of people misspelling Sabres.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Well...that was actually Jaws....but I get your point.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I loved the Star Trek reboot way more than the new Star Wars movie. Maybe it was the writing? I dunno. It just felt a lot more 'clever'.

Could just have been timing too. Maybe I'm all action movied out for the year.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This is an *extremely mild* Star Wars spoiler but it really ground my gears.

[spoil]In the scene where Poe enters the building, he shoots with his s-foils closed[/spoil]

Pretty damn sure that wasn't supposed to happen.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Uh oh! Red alert!
i finally saw star wars: Tfa today. Basically, the movie [spoil]nearly completely recycles the plot of anh[/spoil], is poorly paced, has too many action set pieces, no exposition, and is full of one dimensional characters. It's a summer action blockbuster movie that was released in the winter. Not that impressed by it at all.
DOUBLE SPOIL
it knew what it was and did it well; i liked it.

And to your spoil comment:

[spoil]it's like poetry, it rhymes[/spoil]
TRIPLE SPOIL
this is an *extremely mild* star wars spoiler but it really ground my gears.

[spoil]in the scene where poe enters the building, he shoots with his s-foils closed[/spoil]

pretty damn sure that wasn't supposed to happen.
SPOILTACULAR
[mod]
SPOIL FRENZY

Last edited by a moderator:

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Thought that one was over the line :laugh:

I'm so in tune with how this place is moderated...

wsml2.jpg

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Is saying that I think the movie could do with more of x character really that much of a spoiler? Damn okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad