OT: Jets Lounge: Now buying Kaopectate in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfel*

Scored two tickets for the one time the Jets are in Buffalo. Amazing seats lower bowl mid-ice and got the pair for $130.

Score! Good stuff. What time of the year are they in Buffalo? (Too lazy to look at a schedule...) Are you going to wear a Kane/Bogo jersey?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Agreed. Walking Dead isn't a joke worthy horrendous show like Big Bang Theory, but it's vastly overrated. While I don't mind the show, it's decent, the reputation it has as a great show is overrated. The writing, acting, and directing are very mediocre at best. They have some great characters (ie Daryll, Tyresse) that are criminally underused and some horrendous characters that are overused (ie Rick). Properly written as a character drama with a big "main" cast they could do well (ie Game of Thrones) but they focus too much on protagonists. This show would be great in the 90's but modern audiences want more realism. Not so much ridiculousness about how great the protagonists are in the enivironment.

I have to disagree. You say that this show would be successful in the 90s, yet it is one of the most successful shows not only right now, but in history. People love the Walking Dead.

I really don't see what was so great about Tyrese as a character, not a ton of depth andnfor some reason he decides that he cant kill zombies anymore? You want a great character you look no further then Carol.

How is it poorly acted? Melissa McBride was thought to be just on the outside looking in when it came to the Emmy's and Globes last year, and I don't care what anyone says, the amount of emotion that these guys protray on a daily basis isn't easy. Especially how three of them are English and they do a pretty flawless southern accent.

They don't get enough credit, similarly to how Jennifer Carpenter never got enough credit for Dexter.

Poor dialogue is what you see on Sons of Anarchy, TWD is not guilty of this. As for the writing(and I'm surprised you didn't pick up on this) it incorporates a lot of metaphor and symbolism into scenes. For example the scene with the horse last season as well as the titles of the episodes from one of Dale's speeches. As well as the incorporation of Red into each episode.

I just watched most of season two, and I really liked it tbh. But I had some issues when I watched the first season. Mostly how the zombies can ****ing run and scale fences and Smash windows with bricks and ****.

And how does it have poor plots? The Governor? The Claimers? Terminus? Alexandria? And soon to be the Wolves? Solid story lines, all of them.

And Darryl may have been underrused in the past...but he definitely isn't anymore. I just wish he would cut his ****ing hair.

My only issue is that I'm watching them on AMC, and it ****ing skips episodes all the time. Piss me off.

One of my favourite shows, for sure.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
^ I believe the zombies are literally rotting away - so they're a bit more spry in the first season and pretty sad shufflers by season 2/3 when they've been out in the hot Georgia sun for so long.

I don't recall them throwing bricks in Season 1...

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
^ I believe the zombies are literally rotting away - so they're a bit more spry in the first season and pretty sad shufflers by season 2/3 when they've been out in the hot Georgia sun for so long.

I don't recall them throwing bricks in Season 1...

When they Smash through glass at the department store. One of the walkers does it with a large rock or Brick. It's episode two I think.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I have to disagree. You say that this show would be successful in the 90s, yet it is one of the most successful shows not only right now, but in history. People love the Walking Dead.

I really don't see what was so great about Tyrese as a character, not a ton of depth andnfor some reason he decides that he cant kill zombies anymore? You want a great character you look no further then Carol.

How is it poorly acted? Melissa McBride was thought to be just on the outside looking in when it came to the Emmy's and Globes last year, and I don't care what anyone says, the amount of emotion that these guys protray on a daily basis isn't easy. Especially how three of them are English and they do a pretty flawless southern accent.

They don't get enough credit, similarly to how Jennifer Carpenter never got enough credit for Dexter.

Poor dialogue is what you see on Sons of Anarchy, TWD is not guilty of this. As for the writing(and I'm surprised you didn't pick up on this) it incorporates a lot of metaphor and symbolism into scenes. For example the scene with the horse last season as well as the titles of the episodes from one of Dale's speeches. As well as the incorporation of Red into each episode.

I just watched most of season two, and I really liked it tbh. But I had some issues when I watched the first season. Mostly how the zombies can ****ing run and scale fences and Smash windows with bricks and ****.

And how does it have poor plots? The Governor? The Claimers? Terminus? Alexandria? And soon to be the Wolves? Solid story lines, all of them.

And Darryl may have been underrused in the past...but he definitely isn't anymore. I just wish he would cut his ****ing hair.

My only issue is that I'm watching them on AMC, and it ****ing skips episodes all the time. Piss me off.

One of my favourite shows, for sure.

Honestly i dont know what i meant by 90s comment. But moving off that i still think its just average. Carol is for sure one of the better characters but the show is very up and down. Rick ist just annoying at best, Michonne became annouing as hell, a fee other characters just meh. Just up and down. It just lacks that smoothness shows like The Wire, Game of Thrones, etc have. Its a really solid show but much like Breaking Bad just doesnt put it together quite as well as it could, IMO. Agreed it bettter than Sons of Anarchy that really suffered from poor writng at times.

I really do like it, but its not quite a top tier show IMO.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
When they Smash through glass at the department store. One of the walkers does it with a large rock or Brick. It's episode two I think.

are you sure? I don't recall walkers ever throwing any objects in the series and I cannot find any references of it happening via google.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Honestly i dont know what i meant by 90s comment. But moving off that i still think its just average. Carol is for sure one of the better characters but the show is very up and down. Rick ist just annoying at best, Michonne became annouing as hell, a fee other characters just meh. Just up and down. It just lacks that smoothness shows like The Wire, Game of Thrones, etc have. Its a really solid show but much like Breaking Bad just doesnt put it together quite as well as it could, IMO. Agreed it bettter than Sons of Anarchy that really suffered from poor writng at times.

It is a very popular show indeed. But the same can be said about game of thrones. It is very well done, acted but the storyline transitions can be quite choppy at the best of times. plus being a book reader it is also very lacking in characters, storyline and detail but you can honestly only do so much with a television show. If anything I would argue that the series Rome was heads over heels better than Game of Thrones but lacked the pop culture MMO type (dragons, dire wolves, realms etc etc) appeal of GoT. The Wire though.....that is probably one of the most interesting/best series I have watched.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Have to strongly disagree with this as Breaking Bad was one of the better put together shows in history IMO.

Derfel*

Have to strongly disagree with this as Breaking Bad was one of the better put together shows in history IMO.

Agreed - after Season 1 it just kept rolling and I rarely remember a moment where I felt it had "lost it".

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
So how are zombies suppose to make sense? or act I guess? It a TV show depicting something ( zombies ) that has never existed, so how does anyone know how they are suppose to be? Kind of like making movies depicting dinosaurs... nobody knows how they really behaved.

Example of this: The Walking Dead VS Z-Nation. The Zombies in The Walking Dead are slow plodding soles that are easy to kill where the zombies in Z-Nation are like Ben Johnson on extra-strength steroids. Who's right?

the zombies in dawn of the dead were frightening. fast as hell.
the zombies in Shaun of the Dead were funny because they were laughingly slow and plodding. the zombies in Walking Dead (oh wait, sorry, walkers) are slow but somehow have taken over the world and somehow you can't push them off you but somehow you can easily stab them in the head forcibly with a toothpick if you try.

and are you saying dinosaurs, like zombies, never existed?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

except for the fly in the lab episode.

People love the Walking Dead.
people also love McDonalds and people love Dancing with the Stars. means nothing.

How is it poorly acted?
just watch the episode where Rick has a fever and kah-rul's yelling at him. pure diarrhea. the whole Shane-banged-Lori repeated dialogue is so horrible written AND executed. the dude who owned the trailer, Dale, i think. man, he was a horrible actor. the NeoNazi brother was horrible. painful. i can literally go on and on. it's not a well-written show. people just like zombies and the horror and suspense it has. the plot goes nowhere weeks at a time.

the Governor was a VERY compelling character. more compelling when you read about his background in the comics. Terminus was so horribly executed. hey, let's spend a season trying to go to Terminus, and then spend 1 episode actually in there! and they're eating hoomans! oh, the hoomanity!!

to be honest, Fear the Walking Dead's a bit better. less zombies, more tension and plot. better written, but still some horrible characters (i.e. all the children)

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Classic miscommunication. I agree that it doesn't touch top tier shows like the Sopranos, the Wire, GOT etc.)

Agree about Michonne. Disagree about Rick.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
are you sure? I don't recall walkers ever throwing any objects in the series and I cannot find any references of it happening via google.

It's in episode two or three where they are escaping from the department store. A walker clearly breaks the glass with a rock. I just watched it last night.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Scored two tickets for the one time the Jets are in Buffalo. Amazing seats lower bowl mid-ice and got the pair for $130.

i was going to , but Buffalo in march is a crapshoot. very nervous about getting tickets. but definitely going and will be at the blue monk after.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
the zombies in dawn of the dead were frightening. fast as hell.
the zombies in Shaun of the Dead were funny because they were laughingly slow and plodding. the zombies in Walking Dead (oh wait, sorry, walkers) are slow but somehow have taken over the world and somehow you can't push them off you but somehow you can easily stab them in the head forcibly with a toothpick if you try.

and are you saying dinosaurs, like zombies, never existed?

He's clearly not saying that...but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

The zombies in the Walking Dead I would argue are the most realistic. They are dead bodies, and dead bodies rot and decay over time. They aren't going to go sprinting around and performing superhuman feats.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
except for the fly in the lab episode.

Yeah that was a diffferent episode. I didn't mind it but I took it for what it was. You often see episodes like that in TV series. Where it's more of a one off episode where there is only one or two of the main cast members and limited mostly to one set. There is actually a term for this 'Bottle Episode'. Those episodes are meant to be produced inexpensively and as a result are restricted in scope.

Like Sully said it was a pretty funny episode I thought.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He's clearly not saying that...but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

The zombies in the Walking Dead I would argue are the most realistic. They are dead bodies, and dead bodies rot and decay over time. They aren't going to go sprinting around and performing superhuman feats.

at times, i wonder if you have any sense of humour :)

yes, the zombies are decaying. but it's all imagination. make them do whatever they want!! they don't have lungs. their bodies should be bloating and possibly exploding! if you're a zombie, you're not providing oxygen to your muscles to perform tasks!!!

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
The only problem I have with The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead is how we have to believe that there was never a zombie movie released before the events of the series began. Like they are so common in our society but not in that world before everything went to hell.

Anyway I really do enjoy both series and don't try to over-analyze them too much. Just mindless entertainment for me.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
at times, i wonder if you have any sense of humour :)

yes, the zombies are decaying. but it's all imagination. make them do whatever they want!! they don't have lungs. their bodies should be bloating and possibly exploding! if you're a zombie, you're not providing oxygen to your muscles to perform tasks!!!

I have a great sense of humor, your comments just come off as incredibly abrasive and a little rude. I'm sure if you and I were having this conversation face to face, it would be a different story...but since we aren't, all of that tone and meaning that is put into speech that makes it obvious that your joking, is lost when your writing a post online and something as innocent as what you said can be taken out of context.

Use emojis. I like the :sarcasm: one and the ;). It's really the easiest way to come across as a troll.

Anyways...

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here with the zombies being imagined. They are obviously made up, but I don't think they are in anyway unreasonable for an imaginary critter. It becomes easier to kill them because their flesh and bone has rotted, that makes sense to me.

If your gonna make fun of Carl's name, its Coral. Not Kah-rul...hs not superman's long lost half brother or something. I think the acting is pretty good, especially Michael Rooker. It may not be the best, but it is far from what you are describing.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
For those who do like to over analyze TV shows.... re: walking dead

- Where are all the pets? There should be packs of wild dogs roaming around and tonnes of cats. Did they all get locked inside their homes and starve?

- Or more wild animals? Road kill accounts for millions of animals being killed each year. Without cars whizzing around anymore, there should massive hordes of smaller animals leading to massive hordes of bigger animals. Daryl should have no problem finding game to feed the group. And don't say the zombies are eating them all.. some maybe, but no zombie is going to catch a squirrel or rabbit.

- What caused the virus? Everyone is carrying it, but where did it come from? Who's patient zero?

- Who keeps cutting the grass? With no one to care for them, peoples lawns should all be 2 feet tall or covered in weeds by now, not neatly manicured. Or do lawns in the deep south grow really slowly?

Derfel*

- Who keeps cutting the grass? With no one to care for them, peoples lawns should all be 2 feet tall or covered in weeds by now, not neatly manicured. Or do lawns in the deep south grow really slowly?

I've brought that point up in relation to other "disaster" movies and shows, and never gotten a straight answer.

On a related note - if you haven't read "The World Without Us", you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad