OT: Jets Lounge: No one knows whats going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
yes and no.
there is personal preference and then there are discerning palates that concur that product A tastes like an old runner's insole.

most things that are popular, be it food or drink, are not tasty. in fact, they're likely more palate-neutral.
in Winnipeg, or example, you cannot say that a McDonalds burger is tastier than a Superboys' burger. no one with a palate would ever say that.

same with spirits. vodka literally tastes like nothing. tell me how you can drink a vodka martini and tell me it is delicious. you are only getting a hint of vermouth to it. otherwise, you are drinking neutral, alcohol-heavy water flavours. and if you don't enjoy the taste or depths of certain spirits, that's cool.but anyone saying that vodka is a preference based on tastes versus a lack of taste? untrue.

Some people think great gin or great Scotch tastes like a55 and they are not wrong. Some people like yourself think Gin tastes great, you are not wrong. It is subjective. Some prefer a Vodka martini is because it doesn't reek of gin which they hate. It is much more subtle or neutral tasting drink with just a hint of vermouth. That is what they like and they probably think your palate is wrong ;)

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some people think great gin or great Scotch tastes like a55 and they are not wrong. Some people like yourself think Gin tastes great, you are not wrong. It is subjective. Some prefer a Vodka martini is because it doesn't reek of gin which they hate. It is much more subtle or neutral tasting drink with just a hint of vermouth. That is what they like and they probably think your palate is wrong ;)

Tres bien!

I love the taste of Gin... I also love vodka when it's with certain mixes. I will never like Scotch, which some may say says I have no palate. I beg to differ.

It's like food. On the highest level it's ridiculous and I've tasted some haute cuisine that was... well, gross. However it was using the highest quality ingredients.

McDonald's is very popular because of price, but I'll admit, I love the occasional McDouble. I like the flavor. But I'm just a peasant :)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Over/Under 30 minutes before Gin sees this and slaps ps241 with an infraction?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tres bien!

I love the taste of Gin... I also love vodka when it's with certain mixes. I will never like Scotch, which some may say says I have no palate. I beg to differ.

It's like food. On the highest level it's ridiculous and I've tasted some haute cuisine that was... well, gross. However it was using the highest quality ingredients.

McDonald's is very popular because of price, but I'll admit, I love the occasional McDouble. I like the flavor. But I'm just a peasant :)

I don't like the taste of any hard alcohol. I do love the effects it brings in moderation so I am conflicted. :naughty:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Over/Under 30 minutes before Gin sees this and slaps ps241 with an infraction?

I know Gin and I differ on our love of a fine Scotch. He sips and smiles as he should and if I take a sip I like the buzz and the lack of feeling bloated but need to lick my a55 to get the bad taste out of my mouth. :naughty:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@ps241: Them's fightin' words. :rant:

:laugh:

There are very few alcoholic beverages that I will not partake in, TBH. My favorite hard liquors are gin martinis (dry, please), scotch, and most recently, some bourbons. As a scotch drinker, it took me a while to find a bourbon I liked.

I'm not much of a beer snob: I prefer 'interesting' beers (outside of wheat beers), but on a hot day at the lake, I'll gladly quaff the worst American beer if friends are offering. My fave is Guinness, but I also love pilsner, ales, bitters, IPA's, etc.

What does everyone else prefer when it comes to beers or drinks?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

There are very few alcoholic beverages that I will not partake in, TBH. My favorite hard liquors are gin martinis (dry, please), scotch, and most recently, some bourbons. As a scotch drinker, it took me a while to find a bourbon I liked.

I'm not much of a beer snob: I prefer 'interesting' beers (outside of wheat beers), but on a hot day at the lake, I'll gladly quaff the worst American beer if friends are offering. My fave is Guinness, but I also love pilsner, ales, bitters, IPA's, etc.

I can go over to a buddy's garage while he smokes cigs and plays heavy metal on XM and serves up Ice Cold bud light in the can and be perfectly happy. That being said a fresh Pint of Mill Street Organic sitting at the wood in downtown Toronto is pretty dam nice. Please don't tell anyone because I love poking fun at beer snobs.

Ok in before all the hipsters with beards and no hair on the side of their heads put a pineapple garnish on your "Beer"

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Yall know how I feel about cider. But only apple or pear. Yet to find a fancy fruity one that isn't gross.

For a beer I like a pale lager. Nothing too bitter. We've got a couple good local ones too, as well as a couple rubbish ones. My beer drinking is usually reduced to barbecues and whatnot.

Warming to amaretto and coke too. It's just really nice.

I'm a total featherweight so I tend to steer clear of the harder liquors and their harsher flavours and higher alcohol content.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok anything in King can that I can fit in my backpack. Then I hop on my stolen bike (.08 cycling club) and head off. Important I wear tight blue jeans and a rock tour shirt from a least a decade ago.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I hate to do this but looks as if that ETS bus ad that was posted last week was just a rip off of what seems to be a Nordic ad from 3 years ago.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The shaking can cause bruising (chipping of ice into the drink). Stirring is a more gentle approach. I don't think the process would be used to disguise a cheaper product....that is generally done by infusing fruit juices to mask (crantini etc). A strait martini shaken or stirred is tough to fake ingredients.

Both processes of shaking and stirring are used to chill the drink and dilute. Shaking is much faster but it can alter the flavor more. The better tenders I know liked to stir slowly and take their time when the situation allowed.

I'm actually not a fan of either approach.
I keep my gin in the freezer and vermouth in the fridge.
I find that using gin from the freezer makes the best tasting martini by far.
Just pour the two into the glass and stir it gently with the olive spear.

I try to keep ice away from alcohol as a rule and even making a stirred martini dilutes the drink more than I like.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

I'm with you when you say you will partake in pretty much anything.

For beer I tend to drink amber or dark beer during the winter and I drink wheat beer or hoppy lager in the summer. If all I have is crappy domestic beer on a hot day I prefer to drinik it as a shandy to mask how boring it is.

Spirits are what I drink most but I only buy ones that I can drink neat or ones that can be chilled in the freezer.
The exception to not mixing spirits would be absinthe (which I realize is probably a hipster drink but I like it) in which I drink freezer cooled and mixed with ice cold water.
I like scotch but prefer rye whiskey or bourbon in a pinch.
I love, I mean love, cognac but it is pricey so I hardly ever drink it. I really miss the days of me constantly travelling through duty free shops.
Recently I've been going through grappa at an alarming rate.
I love martinis but they are very dangerous for me to drink because of how fast I drink them.
If someone offers me wine I never say know but am not too discerning. I prefer red but almost always drink white if I have a choice because I end up with sinus problems the next morning if I drink red.

I look at spirits like a restaurant menu. Some people like fish, some steak, some chicken, and some salad. One isn't better than the other they are simply different options.
The price range of spirits can also be compared to restaurants in that you go to one in your price range and choose from that menu. You can't compare a $80 bottle of cognac to a $30 bottle of brandy. There are lots of taste options at lots of price ranges.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm actually not a fan of either approach.
I keep my gin in the freezer and vermouth in the fridge.
I find that using gin from the freezer makes the best tasting martini by far.
Just pour the two into the glass and stir it gently with the olive spear.

That's how I do it, too. Vodka and Gin. I thought maybe shaking a martini might help it to "open up", so to speak, the way decanting a red wine does. Get a little oxygen in there. I dunno.

Just to be different, though, I'll occasionally make my martini with a pickled Thai chili instead of the olives. Love the burn!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Unibroue makes some great strong beers, and they have cool names like Trois Pistoles, Don De Dieu, La Fin Du Monde and Maudite -- Three guns, gift of god, the end of the world, and 'Goddamn!' respectively.

The latter is the best. It's nice to be able to ask for the good lady to get me a goddamn beer and have it be taken literally.

For liquor that's non-standard stuff, I like Cointreau. Otherwise, good scotches, G&T, spiced rum and diet.. man, too much good stuff.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Better then Captain Morgan's. Captain Morgan's spiced rum with coke is my go to but I might have to try Havana Club next time.

Try the Captain Morgan's Private Stock Rum, that's my go to hard drink, it's quite good. That's the only hard stuff Ive had since I was in Poland drinking 4 oz straight vodka shots with family (all great vodka too:sarcasm:)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Try the Captain Morgan's Private Stock Rum, that's my go to hard drink, it's quite good. That's the only hard stuff Ive had since I was in Poland drinking 4 oz straight vodka shots with family (all great vodka too:sarcasm:)

Private Stock gets expensive. Not too mention the 7 year aged Havana Club (comparable step up to what your talking) is better, IMO, and alot cheaper.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
If I'm offered liquor of any sort I will drink it. Period. Some I like better than others but I'll drink it all. Vodka straight up (at my brother's wedding to a Ukrainian bride we downed shots for every gift!) pretty much any beer, even Lucky. I like alcohol.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

Private Stock gets expensive. Not too mention the 7 year aged Havana Club (comparable step up to what your talking) is better, IMO, and alot cheaper.

I was also introduced recently, just last night actually, to the combination of Gatorade + rum. I don't know if this is actually does anything but it seemed to keep my hydrated while I consumed alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad