OT: Jets Lounge: JC Be Lazy Edition - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Didn't know where to post this, but Norm Macdonald from SNL is a Jets fan apparently. His Twitter talks about wearing a Jets jersey writing for the 40th anniversary show this past week.

First Conan and now Norm!

I think Peter King is a fan as well.

Woo

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Didn't know where to post this, but Norm Macdonald from SNL is a Jets fan apparently. His Twitter talks about wearing a Jets jersey writing for the 40th anniversary show this past week.

First Conan and now Norm!

I think Peter King is a fan as well.

Woo

Norm was at a Jets game when he was in town.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Screenshot%202_zpsmdkdv4sv.jpg

Someone screwed up at TSN haha.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Things to do: Stanley Park - you can rent bikes a block or two from the park downtown and take the sea-wall around the entire park. If you want to venture to the interior of the park on a bike you better be in good shape - a lot of steep uphill climbs (at least for an out-of-shape prairie boy like me). The Aquarium in Stanley Park is really good as well.

If you don't have wheels, get a transit day-pass: take the Seabus from downtown to North Vancouver, then hop the Grouse Mtn bus. Take the skyride to the top (or do the Grouse Grind and hike up if you're looking for exercise), have some lunch overlooking the city. Bring your camera. See the grizzlies. I recommend the chair lift to the very top. On the way back, stop at the Capilano Suspension Bridge...unless you're not cool with heights, then maybe skip this. The Seabus/bus terminal is at Lonsdale Quay which is a kind of Forks-style shopping spot.

Other stuff in Vancouver: Science World (the big geodesic dome from Expo 86) - if you're with kids. Granville Island - more Forks-style shopping/eating. Oh, if you've ever been on the ride "Soarin'" at Epcot in Disney World, there's a similar thing at Canada Place called Fly Over Canada.

For hotels, I usually just see what's on Hotwire. There are quite a few decent 4-star+ downtown hotels that come up often: Renaissance Harbourside, Westin Bayshore, Sheraton Wall Centre, Coast Coal Harbour. I like all of those. Westin is closer to the park side of downtown, the Coast and Renaissance are near the water and more central, and the Wall Centre is central but quite a few blocks back from the water. If money's no object, the Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Pan Pacific are really nice.

Peckinpah in Gastown is good for Carolina-style barbeque. Owned by a Winnipeg ex-pat too! Tell them Gm0ney sent you and get a 0% discount! :)

Thanks a bunch, great info! Planned on renting bikes. Rest of info is helpful too!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Anyone watching the Vikings marathon on History? Season 3 starts right after the Jets game!

Today's going to be a lazy day.

Ah, that's right: that starts up again tonight. Cool beans - I love that show. I know what I'm watching tomorrow - how many episodes are on tonight?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Ah, that's right: that starts up again tonight. Cool beans - I love that show. I know what I'm watching tomorrow - how many episodes are on tonight?

I'm waiting until I can binge watch the entire season 4. We watched the first three seasons in binge form, and I find it much more satisfying.

I'm this <.> close to convincing Mrs. Monty to cut the cord and go without cable and binge watch all of her favourite shows. I've just got to convince her to get used to On-Demand watching habits as opposed to Network TV watching habits.

If I had my druthers, there would be no cable or land-line in our house, just internet and a Roku or Chromecast streaming stick.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm waiting until I can binge watch the entire season 4. We watched the first three seasons in binge form, and I find it much more satisfying.

I'm this <.> close to convincing Mrs. Monty to cut the cord and go without cable and binge watch all of her favourite shows. I've just got to convince her to get used to On-Demand watching habits as opposed to Network TV watching habits.

If I had my druthers, there would be no cable or land-line in our house, just internet and a Roku or Chromecast streaming stick.

We cut the cable about a year and a half ago. It's absolute bliss. I use Netflix and Hulu for online stuff, and Plex as my media server. We've got a couple of Roku's for streaming the stuff, plus a couple of XBox's as our media devices at the TVs.

Wife loves it - super simple. And I cut $180/mo from our cable budget, and only added about $30-40 back (for services, GCL, etc)

We're contemplating cutting our land-line, but we only have basic (read: cheap) service right now for the purposes of our alarm.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
We cut the cable about a year and a half ago. It's absolute bliss. I use Netflix and Hulu for online stuff, and Plex as my media server. We've got a couple of Roku's for streaming the stuff, plus a couple of XBox's as our media devices at the TVs.

Wife loves it - super simple. And I cut $180/mo from our cable budget, and only added about $30-40 back (for services, GCL, etc)

We're contemplating cutting our land-line, but we only have basic (read: cheap) service right now for the purposes of our alarm.

We were going to cut our land line, but with the MTS bundle offer (three cell phones plus land line) we save $40 a month, so the landline is costing us about $5 a month now. That's a "whatever" moment to retain the number for older relatives.

Are you guys streaming U.S. Netflix?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I have Chromecast at home and only really use cable for sports. Hockeystreams has an app for Chromecast that is pretty good so I use that to watch games other than the Jets.

Fiancee watches TV a lot and uses the PVR though so cutting that away from her wouldn't be pretty. :laugh:

And Plex is amazing, love it.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Had my interview with the firm I really want to go to. Turns out it was with the two lawyers I'd be working for instead of their HR. Think it went well

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We were going to cut our land line, but with the MTS bundle offer (three cell phones plus land line) we save $40 a month, so the landline is costing us about $5 a month now. That's a "whatever" moment to retain the number for older relatives.

Are you guys streaming U.S. Netflix?

Maybe. :sarcasm: ;)

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I have Chromecast at home and only really use cable for sports. Hockeystreams has an app for Chromecast that is pretty good so I use that to watch games other than the Jets.

Fiancee watches TV a lot and uses the PVR though so cutting that away from her wouldn't be pretty. :laugh:

And Plex is amazing, love it.

I also have Chromecast would be interested to hear about your setup for sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad