OT: Jets Lounge: And you can put dat on yo toast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Microsoft used their ejection seat - the right choice to do. You don't **** with the internet generation guys... I thought an enterprise like Microsoft would have known about that.

Interestingly, they pulled the ripcord so hard, they got rid of the things that made their DRM useful and actually forward thinking - sharing with friends and family, play anywhere without a disk, etc. Not sure I'm completely happy with the decision, and hope that some of the more useful parts of their abandoned strategy can be reinstated.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'm still on the fence of the stupid mandatory kinect.

I don't use it and never will and yet they're charging us an extra $100 so it can spy on me and watch me do the weird **** I do.

Not cool with that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm still on the fence of the stupid mandatory kinect.

I don't use it and never will and yet they're charging us an extra $100 so it can spy on me and watch me do the weird **** I do.

Not cool with that.

Just think though: it can automatically take selfie's for you. :D

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Interestingly, they pulled the ripcord so hard, they got rid of the things that made their DRM useful and actually forward thinking - sharing with friends and family, play anywhere without a disk, etc. Not sure I'm completely happy with the decision, and hope that some of the more useful parts of their abandoned strategy can be reinstated.

I really liked the idea of diskless play as well. No boxes lieing around and the games run quieter and faster.
I read a interview with Molyneux and he said MS's mistake is that they hadn't spent time selling the features of why always on connectivity was a good thing.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I really liked the idea of diskless play as well. No boxes lieing around and the games run quieter and faster.
I read a interview with Molyneux and he said MS's mistake is that they hadn't spent time selling the features of why always on connectivity was a good thing.

Agree. Some have commented that it's like the story of throwing a frog into boiling water. The thought is: the features may get introduced more slowly.

I wonder how many people who are on Steam (which I am) have considered the parallel here? Many disliked Steam at the beginning for very similar reasons. Me? I like the flexibility. I liken it to what's happened to music: I subscribe to online services, and get whatever I want in my playlists whenever I want.

I tend not to be a collector though: I place more value on immediate consumption.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Just think though: it can automatically take selfie's for you. :D

New feature: Kinect will take a selfie... you just won't know when. :naughty:

I was reading up on the changes and it seems they've possibly alienated more people now. Those that were okay with the DRM because of the couple of positives (the family sharing looked pretty cool) are now getting shafted. I don't understand why they had to pull all of it, surely they could have left at least that?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It's interesting... I don't know anyone who is in the "DRM and online"-camp besides a couple of people on this board. Absolutely no one :D

I guess it's also a cultural thing... people in Europe would never accept handcuffs like no resell, always on and that stupid Kinect camera. That's why I said "Microsoft will probably still win NA because you guys seem to care less about that stuff" - looks like that's true.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Sweet. When Xbox One gets out I will buying and I'll add you as friend as well. Xboxers unite! :D

Sure thing. I enjoy playing co-op shooters Or any games co-op, I guess. I played the Mass Effect 3 Co-Op mode for a few hundred hours, I loved that mode. :) Borderlands, etc. I'm not as quite into PVP games as much, though I used to play NHL 10 in a league and against ranked random opponents.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I loled

yqK5QOG.png

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Sure thing. I enjoy playing co-op shooters Or any games co-op, I guess. I played the Mass Effect 3 Co-Op mode for a few hundred hours, I loved that mode. :) Borderlands, etc. I'm not as quite into PVP games as much, though I used to play NHL 10 in a league and against ranked random opponents.

Add me up as well. Coop is my favourite way to game. I still game a fair bit, but I don't game alone much anymore. I play an MMO once a week (Star Wars the Old Republic) because I'm a star wars nut, and the guys I play with picked our characters and developed our play styles around being in our specific group of four. I find it super boring alone, but together it's awesome. I played a LOT of Borderlands with a buddy of mine, and played a lot of Coop halo, too. Used to play Battlefront to DEATH with some guys on the original Xbox. Knew the name of all the command posts, pretty good tactical awareness of the maps, we were pretty awesome, and it was a TON of fun.

I play a pretty large amount of NHL 13, but it's all with my buddy, on the same team that we fantasy drafted/developed via trade etc. We've played 2 full seasons now, Every game, and it's to the point where we have a really good cycle and actual chemistry (we player lock, always, I play C he is RW) and so we set up a lot of creative passing plays, and some super crazy goals. I don't love the game alone but with a teammate it's a riot.

If anybody plays any games online now I'd be down to set up for a game here and there too. My gamertag is "Echo 4190", and I could (and would gladly be down to) play NHL 13, Halo 4, ME3 or Borderlands 2, as far as fairly current games are concerned.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
According to the internet, this is Don Mattricks first version of his press release regarding the Xbox One changes:

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

I'll say only ONE thing:

What the **** is he talking about? Why would I sell my games at GameStop for a bag of pucks? I always sell on Ebay. I just sold The Last of Us five days after the release for 50 Euro (+ 3 Euro shipping)???

*edit*

jeesh all those rules xD

If they had just taken the restrictions off of physical disks, when they launched, and emphasized the ability to bring a steam-like service to consoles, they really could have won people over I think. The issue is the check in on games bought to be played offline. I expect their digital download games will start to look a lot more steam like (can download it anywhere as long as you are logged in to your independent username etc, and have to be logged in to that user to play them) this gen, and by next gen they can fully commit to that model.

Because I do love steam, frankly. Xbox doesn't currently have big enough sales on their digital games however, or do as good a job of supporting indie games that steam does. That's a big difference.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
According to the internet, this is Don Mattricks first version of his press release regarding the Xbox One changes:

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

I'll say only ONE thing:

What the **** is he talking about? Why would I sell my games at GameStop for a bag of pucks? I always sell on Ebay. I just sold The Last of Us five days after the release for 50 Euro (+ 3 Euro shipping)???

*edit*

jeesh all those rules xD

I'm sure you're well aware of this, but Dorkly is a satirical website. The person who penned that reminds me of someone who espoused the same things, and I hate that guy.

I use Steam, but I do hate my loss of control over my purchases. It's why I only buy things on there that are ridiculously cheap. Even if you buy the game at a brick and mortar store, the game will likely tie itself to Steam.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Add me up as well. Coop is my favourite way to game. I still game a fair bit, but I don't game alone much anymore. I play an MMO once a week (Star Wars the Old Republic) because I'm a star wars nut, and the guys I play with picked our characters and developed our play styles around being in our specific group of four. I find it super boring alone, but together it's awesome. I played a LOT of Borderlands with a buddy of mine, and played a lot of Coop halo, too. Used to play Battlefront to DEATH with some guys on the original Xbox. Knew the name of all the command posts, pretty good tactical awareness of the maps, we were pretty awesome, and it was a TON of fun.

I play a pretty large amount of NHL 13, but it's all with my buddy, on the same team that we fantasy drafted/developed via trade etc. We've played 2 full seasons now, Every game, and it's to the point where we have a really good cycle and actual chemistry (we player lock, always, I play C he is RW) and so we set up a lot of creative passing plays, and some super crazy goals. I don't love the game alone but with a teammate it's a riot.

If anybody plays any games online now I'd be down to set up for a game here and there too. My gamertag is "Echo 4190", and I could (and would gladly be down to) play NHL 13, Halo 4, ME3 or Borderlands 2, as far as fairly current games are concerned.

So which one are you? Raj, Leonard, Sheldon or Howard? :p::sarcasm:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm sure you're well aware of this, but Dorkly is a satirical website. The person who penned that reminds me of someone who espoused the same things, and I hate that guy.

I use Steam, but I do hate my loss of control over my purchases. It's why I only buy things on there that are ridiculously cheap. Even if you buy the game at a brick and mortar store, the game will likely tie itself to Steam.

I thought it was not the original draft but I didn't knew that this site is a satirical one overall.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
dumb and dumber is coming out with a sequal with Daniels and Carrey again and they are calling it

Dumb and Dumber To :)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
dumb and dumber is coming out with a sequal with Daniels and Carrey again and they are calling it

Dumb and Dumber To :)

It will be very hard to make that film good IMO. It was another time and comedys changed a lot. I smell a disappointment.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Stupid ****ing Vine.

Was wondering why my phone kept running out of memory. I would delete extra pics, old apps, etc. but sure enough I'd get the same issue. I thought it must have had something to do with the Vine videos I was shooting. I looked around to see if they were being saved to my device and nada. I thought it might be the cache, so I used my app cache cleaner (a must have for android users, godsend). Still had problems.

So I finally look at the cache in the app manager: 3.36 friggin GIGABYTES! I tried to clear the cache from the app manager but nothing happened. I am now trying to DELETE Vine but it just shows 'uninstalling' endlessly.

If I have to wipe my phone because of this stupid app I am going to flip ****. Thank god Instagram came out with video. It's wayyyyyy better anyway -- 15 second vids, ability to edit, and you can use filters.

F U Vine :)

Aela*

i'm not sure i like the discless play, think about it, if everything becomes discless you're essentially paying 500 bucks for a glorified pc.

console with diskless
a) arguably more people?
b) a lot less capacity for games
c) ability to play on a tv without anything extra
d) no need for a separate chat program in most cases
e) trophies?

pc
a) arguably more people?
b) huge capacity for games and you can buy a bigger hardrive for more space
c) need extra equipment to hook up to a tv and wireless
d) you can alt tab!
e) runs games better (on a gaming pc)
f) torrents, free games, sharing, no kinect/move

I just think that 500 bucks on a desktop will get you a lot better experience than 500 bucks on a console, especially since in 3 years your pc will still be relevant.

i don't think i'll ever buy a console that only takes diskless games because there's no way you'll have enough space on it in order to have all the games you would with disks. i have like 100 games for ps3, there's no way you'd be able to fit all that on diskless consoles without massive massive space, which will of course cost a whole lot more and probably cause some problems of its own. my ps3 is 80gb i believe and it has problems with more than 3 games being downloaded (also only space for about 5). i just don't see diskless consoles a possibility right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad